Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Inverness posted:

I used a mod to enable level scaling in my game. I notice immediately that even though I set it to only scale upwards, difficulty indicators are still removed from the quests in the journal.
Phone ATM, what is this mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Inverness posted:

2. Consider an indicator for when you're overleveled for content if level scaling is not enabled. The Witcher 3 has it work so you do not get experience for quests if you're too far over the recommended level. The idea being you wont further overlevel yourself by wrapping up old quests.

That's incredibly annoying though, so please don't suggest they do that

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Inverness posted:

I think that dev misunderstood the question asked in the thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if they disabled skulls for whatever type of levelscaling you have turned on. Maybe they didn't think it through.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Someone was asking about Soulbound weapons earlier. I found a dagger on Poko Kekarhu, the place you get sent to working for the Deadfire.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I wish someone had told me to pick Deadfire Archipelago as my origin before I started the game. I'm an Island Aumaua, which leaves me with 1/2 of requirements for a lot of speech options. :doh:

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Dairy Power posted:

The main quest was a little brief, but I still enjoyed it for the most part. I have a couple of questions that I must have missed the answers to. I hope. Specifically: How did reincarnation work before The Wheel? It sounded like there would be no new life without it being rebuilt, but there clearly was life before it existed. How does breaking the wheel affect the gods? Does it cut off their power supply and weaken them enough to give mortals more sway or what? What would more sway even mean?
Souls are basically god food. When souls pass through the wheel, they break a part a little and the gods take those little broken off bits to maintain themselves. If the wheel is destroyed, the gods wouldn't have anything to "eat" and would eventually die.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

theblackw0lf posted:

So I just finished Act 1 spoilersrestoring the adra pillar in Hashoro and they're telling me to go back to the queens palace to report what happened, but I cant find the queen or other officials to report to in the palace.

edit: nvm found her

Where is she? I'm at this same spot on the critical path (right after Hasongo, quest name is From The Wreckage) but I can't find her (or whoever that report is supposed to be to) anywhere in the palace.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 14, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

PirateBob posted:

I wish someone had told me to pick Deadfire Archipelago as my origin before I started the game. I'm an Island Aumaua, which leaves me with 1/2 of requirements for a lot of speech options. :doh:

I'm pretty happy with staying with my Moon Godlike from Poe1. It gets referenced in convos all the time.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I kinda saw that my coastal aumua from the Deadfire was one off from a conversation in the starting island and changed over and it's pretty neat, since you're assumed to be a part of the native group who went afield.

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
Man I just love the watercolor maps of the port cities, so pretty.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

cheesetriangles posted:

Man I really didn't like Evoker wizard even though they did do tons of damage. It just didn't feel right to be locked off from more than half the spells in your class.

I've been playing as an Evoker and yeah, it stings to lose access to so many great spells. I'm still having fun with it though. The various Minoletta spells are wicked strong, and empowered fireballs or chain lightnings wipe the field clean of weaker enemies like nobody's business. Very satisfying.

I think in the future I'd still prefer a no-subclass wizard, but I don't regret my choice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wizards get screwed on subclasses, I think. They just don't get enough benefit for what they have to give up.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Filthy Monkey posted:

For backgrounds, Deadfire Archipelago totally rules the roost at 157 checks. The Vailian Republics sits at 3 checks.

MartianAgitator posted:

That last part makes me butt hurt. A third of the lines in this game are people calling each other cock euphemisms in Fantasy Italian and I can't get in on this?

Old Valia and the Republics aren't the same place, much like Carthage and Phoenicia weren't the same place. I'm pretty sure you can only choose to be from Old Valia; I assume the Republic options are leftovers, since this is scooping straight from the code rather then examining context. Or they're for when you have Pallegina in the group.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 14, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's an unfortunate sequence break involving (intentionally vague)the old city and the thing you can dive down to, which skips a large portion of Dereo's quest. It makes me worry about what will happen if I go do the first part of that quest now.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Well, that explains why more than half the game felt piss-easy. The intro area and endgame were appropriately difficult (for Classic), but everything between was just me vaporizing dudes.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Oh Obsidian

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m not too concerned with busted poo poo right now; game is fun and it’ll get fixed and balanced better. My biggest (and very selfish) concern is that it took me 97 hours for my first playthrough of PoE 1 and I still didn’t do everything in that game. I really hope that when I’ve wrung deadfire of all it’s content that I’m approaching a similar play time. I love this series and I’m greedy.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Walrus Pete posted:

I've been playing as an Evoker and yeah, it stings to lose access to so many great spells. I'm still having fun with it though. The various Minoletta spells are wicked strong, and empowered fireballs or chain lightnings wipe the field clean of weaker enemies like nobody's business. Very satisfying.

I think in the future I'd still prefer a no-subclass wizard, but I don't regret my choice.

Hi I bring you greetings and the best spellbook in the game. Stolen from the Dark Cupboard normal retail price 10k copper or gold or whatever the currency is.

You get one extra spell cast per level. Enjoy my wizard brother it's kinda tricky to steal but worth it. Or you could just buy it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Dallan Invictus posted:

Where is she? I'm at this same spot on the critical path (right after Hasongo, quest name is From The Wreckage) but I can't find her (or whoever that report is supposed to be to) anywhere in the palace.

The rooftop

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

divx posted:

Souls are basically god food. When souls pass through the wheel, they break a part a little and the gods take those little broken off bits to maintain themselves. If the wheel is destroyed, the gods wouldn't have anything to "eat" and would eventually die.

End spoilers
Well, I got that the gods use souls to power themselves. There were two things I didn't get. The first was all the talk about life ending on Eora if the Wheel wasn't rebuilt (or left intact), since there would be no returning souls. If that's so, then what was happening before the Wheel was made? The second was that I didn't really understand the nature of the power struggle they were setting up between the kith and the gods. What would the gods being weaker mean for the kith? What would the gods and the kith working together mean? To what end? Maybe it's more that I just don't have a good idea of how the gods interact the kith outside of the Watcher.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

cheesetriangles posted:

Hi I bring you greetings and the best spellbook in the game. Stolen from the Dark Cupboard normal retail price 10k copper or gold or whatever the currency is.

You get one extra spell cast per level. Enjoy my wizard brother it's kinda tricky to steal but worth it. Or you could just buy it.

I put this on my main character melee wizard because I completely misinterpreted "damage causes an interrupt." It means any time the wizard holding it gets damaged they get interrupted.
Absolutely terrible for a melee wizard but yeah definitely amazing for more standard wizards. Sadly the end-game is currently easy enough that the only time I ever felt like I could have used the bonus spells after level 17 or so was the final boss.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

So I guess I can't leave Nekataka without triggering this stupid pirate encounter, huh?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Count Uvula posted:

I put this on my main character melee wizard because I completely misinterpreted "damage causes an interrupt." It means any time the wizard holding it gets damaged they get interrupted.
Absolutely terrible for a melee wizard but yeah definitely amazing for more standard wizards. Sadly the end-game is currently easy enough that the only time I ever felt like I could have used the bonus spells after level 17 or so was the final boss.

If you want to get super cheesy with that grimoire, there's a helmet that prevents interrupt if you have an injury.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

No Pants posted:

If you want to get super cheesy with that grimoire, there's a helmet that prevents interrupt if you have an injury.

Do you happen to know the name or where it is?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

cheesetriangles posted:

Hell yeah, this thing is great. The extra spellcasts are incredible especially when your only job is "make mans explode"

Count Uvula posted:

...That explains why it's been kinda hard to get spells off in some recent fights :v:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

lurksion posted:

Phone ATM, what is this mod?
Less a mod and more a cheat console program actually:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/2/

Then run this:
code:
import Game
Game.GameState.Instance.LevelScaleUpOnly = True
Game.GameState.Instance.LevelScaling = Game.GameData.LevelScalingOption.All
Do not have the settings menu open while you do it, but once you do it you can verify that it took effect by opening the menu. Then you can save your game and disable the mod if you want.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

Wizards get screwed on subclasses, I think. They just don't get enough benefit for what they have to give up.

Fighter only has one subclass that is even "playable".

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Well, I know what I'm using the rest of the game.

Also, Empowered Great Maelstrom is a ridiculously dangerous spell. Aloth's AI accidentally wandered into the Red Zone and took 300 damage in one tick. It ticks for more on mobs, what with the level scaling stuff.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The biggest problem with Empower as a game mechanic is that it’s not at all clear what it DOES for most spells and thus it’s hard to make informed choices with it.

The natural outcome is that many people will simply ignore it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So the 15 point Blessing straight up gives you +2 to all attributes once you finish character creation and board the ship. Really helps make some of the potentially very stat hungry setups possible. For example, I am testing this at the moment. You can start immediately with those attributes.

I was trying to think of how to manage the berserker penalties well. The kind wayfarer health recovery seems to apply twice if you hit with both weapons. Admittedly, if you are confused, it also heals enemies. So that part is less good, until the confusion is fixed. Playing around with leveling though, it looks like the wayfarer heal doesn't scale as you level, like some things do. So I would probably drop it for a different pally subclass.

The pally defenses are huge in helping to negate the berserker deflection penalty. With 20 int your auras and carnage are huge (though I wish you could see the carnage aoe). Once you hit the fourth tier pally abilities you can pick up mental fortress to be immune to the confuse. I am thinking I would probably dual wield longswords though, including the soulbound one that would make you immune to mind effects.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Captain Oblivious posted:

The biggest problem with Empower as a game mechanic is that it’s not at all clear what it DOES for most spells and thus it’s hard to make informed choices with it.

The natural outcome is that many people will simply ignore it.

Yeah, I really wish there was a big tooltip that popped up an showed specifically the value changes for the spell you're currently mousing over when you've got Empower selected. I guess that also gets dicier with the 4 passives you can take to empower your Empower later.

Those passives are also kinda skewed towards offensive abilities so Empowering attack over defense suddenly starts looking comparably more attractive at L19 than it did at L16, which seems a little weird. It might be that the "damage" one actually affects heals, but at least the text doesn't say so.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

cheesetriangles posted:

Do you happen to know the name or where it is?

It's called Rekvu's Fractured Casque. I don't know where it's from, though.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Filthy Monkey posted:

People all probably know this one, but I haven't followed the thread that closely. People have datamined the frequency of skill/stat/npc checks in the game. Some interesting results.
https://wiki.fireundubh.com/deadfire/dialogue-options

For example, there are 102 checks to see if you are an Island Aumaua, compared to 1 for Wood Elf.

For backgrounds, Deadfire Archipelago totally rules the roost at 157 checks. The Vailian Republics sits at 3 checks.

anyone know what the max checks are? i've seen some mechanics checks at about 15 (maybe 18?) but nothing higher

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dairy Power posted:

End spoilers
Well, I got that the gods use souls to power themselves. There were two things I didn't get. The first was all the talk about life ending on Eora if the Wheel wasn't rebuilt (or left intact), since there would be no returning souls. If that's so, then what was happening before the Wheel was made? The second was that I didn't really understand the nature of the power struggle they were setting up between the kith and the gods. What would the gods being weaker mean for the kith? What would the gods and the kith working together mean? To what end? Maybe it's more that I just don't have a good idea of how the gods interact the kith outside of the Watcher.

I just finished and this is pretty much my exact impression too, the ending was just a bunch of words strewn together I didn't really connect with. It was weird for my kind wayfarer to be like.. well... i can't tell if any of this benefits anyone... tear it all down and maybe kith can learn and grow?

Also for that Rekvu's, I saw 3 different items(cloak, gloves, helm), each a variant on preventing death while having a wound. It would be neat to see more items in this set in the DLC, armor and weapons and such.

ratchild13 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 14, 2018

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
finished it - good game, will be great once all the bugs are exterminated

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

ratchild13 posted:

I just finished and this is pretty much my exact impression too, the ending was just a bunch of words strewn together I didn't really connect with. It was weird for my kind wayfarer to be like.. well... i can't tell if any of this benefits anyone... tear it all down and maybe kith can learn and grow?

Yeah I thought I had a handle on it and then the last communion with the gods confused everything. They talk about what Eothas is doing a lot differently than anybody has up to that point, and it seems to vacillate on whether breaking the wheel fucks up reincarnation. Previous communions made it sound like breaking the wheel would cause all reincarnation to cease in a couple years if nothing was done about it, but then that final communion they talk about it like it's mostly just a power struggle of gods versus kith, outside of like one line from Berath and one line from Ryrmgand. Is it just easy enough to restart the reincarnation cycle without gods that the kith will almost certainly figure it out when faced with the crisis? If so that's not communicated at all and kinda contradictory to the hollowborn crisis of the first game.

I went through with what I was planning to do beforehand and it had the expected results so it didn't leave like an incredibly sour taste or anything, was just kind of an oddity and the only place the main story really faltered.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Question about the Xoti sidequest and its results

so I had her give the souls to the animancer device, but she acts like shes getting off on eating souls or something? Did I mis-read something? I thought I was just emptying her lantern. +10% damage party wide buff though I won't argue the results I guess.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

is the save import patch out yet? holding off on my first game until that happens

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fungah! posted:

is the save import patch out yet? holding off on my first game until that happens

There is a beta branch on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Man Pallegina is downright HOSTILE when it comes to the gods this time around. I feel like the first game just had some snide comments but I see she's stopped giving any fucks and will full on rage at all my religious party members. I love it.