Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I only wished that the cuts to exteriors in Georgia weren’t so painfully not-the-valley. You knew when they were filming on location, but it should not have been that obvious when they weren’t, and it was.

There's this thing called "budget" that has limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Rhyno posted:

There's this thing called "budget" that has limits.

Let's hope they've sufficiently knocked it out of the park to get that budget for Season 2. They deserve it. [Edit, slight spoiler: the set job they did on Miyagi-Do is how you mask locations; they recreated the whole drat lot (they must have; it was in bad shape last I drove by it)]

I'm also the kind of dork that would (and will) point out in the Johnny flashback, there's a plastic wheeled garbage pullcart in the street in 1979.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 12, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I pointed out earlier that their budget for period correct cars was clearly very small as the same cars are on Johnny's street and in front of the dojo. I'm sure they'll have more money for S2.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

On the flip side, it looked like they ACTUALLY went to Golf N Stuff. Props to whoever still has the loving CHEXX machine!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Goddamn this is a good show. Made with a lot of love and respect too. Marathoning it this afternoon

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Wait a minute--the karate kid guy is 56? Jesus christ! He looks like a child still

Also this was a cool show and I was never into 80s cheese+sleaze.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kawalimus posted:

Wait a minute--the karate kid guy is 56? Jesus christ! He looks like a child still

Also this was a cool show and I was never into 80s cheese+sleaze.

He is older than Pat Morita in the original Karate Kid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Demon magic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spacebump posted:

:eyepop:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Spacebump posted:

NonononononNONONONONO!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
rewatching the whole series and lmao Johnny really does say "QUIET!" a lot

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Finale questions so is the totally hosed point count a reference to the original? Because Robbie basically got the third point thanks to Miguel's hosed up wrist snap (or whatever) after the round. Is the plot point meant to be that LaRusso is so loving cocky he wants to win on a grand gesture?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Finale questions so is the totally hosed point count a reference to the original? Because Robbie basically got the third point thanks to Miguel's hosed up wrist snap (or whatever) after the round. Is the plot point meant to be that LaRusso is so loving cocky he wants to win on a grand gesture?

Miguel only got a warning for the arm grab, not a penalty point.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The Walkman model Johnny had in his 1979 flashback was from much much later.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

It is a reference to the first movie because it happened almost exactly the same way there too, just with Daniel winning instead of Johnny. Both Cobra Kai guys targeted the weak spot with a cheap blow and got a warning for it, but Miguel didn't run face first into the most telegraphed front kick imaginable.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dang, we finished it up last night, and with that ending, I don’t want to wait for S2. I want more episodes now.

Hawk and his tattoo were incredible.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

It is a reference to the first movie because it happened almost exactly the same way there too, just with Daniel winning instead of Johnny. Both Cobra Kai guys targeted the weak spot with a cheap blow and got a warning for it, but Miguel didn't run face first into the most telegraphed front kick imaginable.

It's not cheap at all, really, that's how *every* trained fighter fights; targeting a weakness (as long as you're not trying to permanently injure them). Miyagi just taught Daniel some dumb crap about honor nonsense, and Kreese and Hawk were dicks for creating the weaknesses in the first place. Hell, even honorable Rocky worked by using someone breaking their hand on his face.

Another reason why Cobra Kai is the best karate.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

arisu posted:

I'm currently on ep 7 and this show is a lot better than it has any right to be. If you liked the original Karate Kid at all, you should definitely check this out.

You weren't kidding, I thought this show would be a gimmick. This show actually explores the "darker side" of the karate kid movie and deconstructs the whole "scrappy loser kid fights evil bully" troupe in karate kid.

Re-watching Karate kid a few years back I kinda saw it different- with my more modern eyes Daniel is kinda of a self proclaimed "white knight" and objectifies the poo poo out of the girl, while Johnny, while a troubled kid, isn't really that bad of a guy and just has a terrible influence in Kreese.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Darko posted:

It's not cheap at all, really, that's how *every* trained fighter fights; targeting a weakness (as long as you're not trying to permanently injure them). Miyagi just taught Daniel some dumb crap about honor nonsense, and Kreese and Hawk were dicks for creating the weaknesses in the first place. Hell, even honorable Rocky worked by using someone breaking their hand on his face.

Another reason why Cobra Kai is the best karate.

There's an actual BJJ school named "Cobra Kai."

Literally every (real) grappling art is built around targeting/creating a weakness or imbalance and then exploiting that while minimizing your opponent's ability to do so. I always found that "sweep the leg" part of the Karate kid pretty silly since I grew up doing BJJ and wrestling.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

You weren't kidding, I thought this show would be a gimmick. This show actually explores the "darker side" of the karate kid movie and deconstructs the whole "scrappy loser kid fights evil bully" troupe in karate kid.

Re-watching Karate kid a few years back I kinda saw it different- with my more modern eyes Daniel is kinda of a self proclaimed "white knight" and objectifies the poo poo out of the girl, while Johnny, while a troubled kid, isn't really that bad of a guy and just has a terrible influence in Kreese.

Johnny was still happy to get second place. :kiddo:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pulling on his hurt arm after the point and before the next one is cheap. Targeting it wasn't the cheap shot. Just like elbow dropping the leg in an illegal strike was cheap, but sweeping the leg and punching him in the face wasn't.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think he pulled on it both because he was angry and as a test because he was all like "I figured out what to do" after.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

etalian posted:

This show rocks and is basically the real sequel the originals.

Absolutely. Sometimes when you do these direct to tv things you end up with watered-down garbage but this is amazingly good without too much pandering.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Johnny did nothing wrong

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

etalian posted:

Johnny did nothing wrong

That's the entire point of the show.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: @ "I don't want blood on the patio so why don't we all go inside and work this out over breakfast?"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

withak posted:

:lol: @ "I don't want blood on the patio so why don't we all go inside and work this out over breakfast?"

I could eat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
what's amazing about watching Karate Kid after this is that Daniel is less of a dick in this than in the film

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I keep seeing people puzzled as to why this show ended up on YTR and not a single one of the people asking this question can't seem to fathom that on paper, the concept is terrible and nobody would touch it.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Rhyno posted:

I keep seeing people puzzled as to why this show ended up on YTR and not a single one of the people asking this question can't seem to fathom that on paper, the concept is terrible and nobody would touch it.

But that's not what happened at all. Even when it was still only on paper it got a huge response. All the streaming services got in a bidding war over it before there was even a completed script. YTR paid the most.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

McMadCow posted:

But that's not what happened at all. Even when it was still only on paper it got a huge response. All the streaming services got in a bidding war over it before there was even a completed script. YTR paid the most.

Which is so weird. Netflix has more money than God, why didn't they outbid them? Was bidding completely done with before there was even a script or some proof of concept clips or what?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Netflix is too busy making garbage stand up specials to focus on another comedy series right now. They have Santa Clarita Diet. What else would people want?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McMadCow posted:

Well that's good to know, the narrative in the discussion was that YT was the last stop. I swear I saw that Netflix passed on it. So why did it still have such a low budget then?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Solice Kirsk posted:

Netflix is too busy making garbage stand up specials to focus on another comedy series right now. They have Santa Clarita Diet. What else would people want?

hey now, the Mulaney standup kills and so does SCD :colbert:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Well that's good to know, the narrative in the discussion was that YT was the last stop. I swear I saw that Netflix passed on it. So why did it still have such a low budget then?

They bid, just not that much. Netflix bid on it as something that would just pop up randomly and be third tier advertised like Trailer Park Boys Season 52, Youtube bid on it as their premiere show, which is still not that hugely budgeted.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SCD is one of my favorite new shows along with this one. Haven't seen the new Mulaney stand up, but I like him as a comedian so I believe you.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Darko posted:

They bid, just not that much. Netflix bid on it as something that would just pop up randomly and be third tier advertised like Trailer Park Boys Season 52, Youtube bid on it as their premiere show, which is still not that hugely budgeted.

Yeah, I seriously don't understand the Netflix game plan. House of Cards was great, OitNB season one was great, everything they produced was great when new series/seasons were events. At this point there's so much content that it all looks terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe Netflix is so eager to outdo traditional network tv that they realized they need a boatload of mediocre poo poo?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Great series! I finished it on the weekened.

Allow me to participate in the speculation of Season 2.

Have any you watched some obscure movies called 'Star Wars'? :P Because I think they could do a Star Wars
Miguel: Darth Vader, which will turn to the dark side in Season 2, and be redeemed in the end
Kreese: Emperor, seducing Miguel to the secret, dark arts of the real Cobra Kai.
Sam: the new Luke, who will go to rescue his fath... ex-boyfriend. With her kicks.
Johnny: Yoda, training Sam in the second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No Ghost Mr. Miyagi?

• Locked thread