Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
all the clips of rick 'n' morty i've seen have all either been them just watching dumb hilarious alternate reality/alien commercials or acts of extreme violence

that's my mort and ricky story thanks for giving me your delicious attention marbles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

gschmidl posted:

Guy is not a captain of industry

bought off with a visit from the wienermobile

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

This is why we already have 17 million coins in circulation and the remaining 4 million only available over the next 120 years. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 14 hours ago by slvbtc

Satoshi was very smart.

He knew most new technologies usually take a minimum of 10 years to gain any real traction.

He wanted to issue as many coins as possible within the first 10 years to keep the price suppressed so as many average people as possible could obtain cheap coins during the bootstrapping phase.

What happens next is mainstream adoption and institutional demand run smack into severely reduced supply and the price explodes very quickly to a much higher "normal".

This was the most egalitarian way to introduce a new form of money. He honestly was also very aware of the fact that libertarians and programmers would be the first involved and would therefore become the new wealthy elite while banks and politicians tried everything to stop it, becoming less powerful in the process.

Bitcoin was ingeniously designed to transfer wealth towards libertarians, nerds and average citizens and away from corrupt incumbent politicians and financial institutions.

quote:

-GlennHODL- 149 points 12 hours ago

Good interpretation. Hard to know every intention of Satoshi's but the idea of tech savvy libertarians being part of a new financial golden generation can do great things for the world.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i love how these people won't stop praising satoshi but have yet to adopt the official mascot

if you guys did that satoshi would return and fix the blocksizes and make the lighting networth work in like an hour or two

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

hmmm...now here's something weird and disturbing, this was posted to r/bitcoin:

and the comments are filled with people calling it dumb and saying that bitcoin isn't useful for buying stuff and that inflation is better than deflation and that the guy doesn't know anything about anything

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/8j6tk0/inflation/#dyxg0ru

terrifying

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

quote:

The largest ever single day drop was about 20% IIRC. thats the difference between paying $1.20 for a coke in a vending machine versus $1. Not ideal, but hardly as life changing as you're describing

no big deal guys

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I'm the vending machine that adjusts for inflation on the fly

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
note that cumulative us inflation from 1998 to 2014 was not quite 50%, and food prices specifically have inflated less than other things (except for a few specific categories, most notably beef)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rjmccall posted:

note that cumulative us inflation from 1998 to 2014 was not quite 50%, and food prices specifically have inflated less than other things (except for a few specific categories, most notably beef)

judging by the shopping cart they just shopped at three different stores each time

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BMan posted:

no big deal guys
lemme get right on the exciting times of guessing whether rent is going to be 10 or 20% higher on the day i have to pay it because ~financial freedom~

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

more like be your own home

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Has anyone said findoom yet?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Alan Smithee posted:

"HELLO, IT IS I...THE CRYPTOKEEPER! TODAY I WILL SHOW YOU THE....FRIGHTENING NETWORK!!!!"

:spooky:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
An absolutely incendiary post on the state of crypto mining, that everyone here should read.

tl;dr even the bits that shouldn't be a scam are a complete scam

and the winner is Bitmain

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

BMan posted:

no big deal guys

also, that's not how percentages work

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Brace yourselves for you are about to see the dumbest poo poo ever

I bring you the Eastern Europe coin mining GPU balloon

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I am glad Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip Of Love predicted bitcoin.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

divabot posted:

and the winner is Bitmain

co-founder of bitmain has some wisdom to share:
https://twitter.com/jihanwu/status/731902686379933697

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

quote:

biglambda [score hidden] 6 minutes ago

Greater fool has almost never been true in Bitcoin. Over the course of it's lifetime, with a few short term exceptions, the "greater fool" has always been the "smarter-and-more-patient-next-person."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i thought the smart people invested in bitcoin early though

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

i thought the smart people invested in bitcoin early though

still in the early days, we'll still be in the early days for a few more decades, buy in now before it hits a quadrillion dollars on 2056

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

still in the early days, we'll still be in the early days for a few more decades, buy in now before it hits a quadrillion dollars on 2056

you should set up a :toxx:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

you should set up a :toxx:

ok, if on the year of 2056 bitcoin is not worth a quadrillion dollars ban me

also if im still posting on the something awful message boards 38 years from now kill me

:toxx:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Boxturret posted:

ok, if on the year of 2056 bitcoin is not worth a quadrillion dollars ban me

also if im still posting on the something awful message boards 38 years from now kill me

:toxx:

does this override your 100 bitcoins raised without legal issue toxx?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

EorayMel posted:

does this override your 100 bitcoins raised without legal issue toxx?

no, which ever one comes first

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

TheCoach posted:

hindenburgcoin goes up up OH poo poo

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

TheCoach posted:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
found on buttcoin reddit:

blockchain's two-flavored appeal

Bitcoins remind me of a story from the late chair of the Princeton University astronomy department. In 1950 Immanuel Velikovsky published Worlds in Collision, a controversial best-selling book that claimed that 3500 years ago Venus and Mars swooped near the earth, causing catastrophes that were passed down in religions and mythologies.
The astronomer was talking to an anthropologist at a party, and the book came up.
"The astronomy is nonsense," said the astronomer, "but the anthropology is really interesting."
"Funny," replied the anthropologist, "I was going to say almost the same thing."

Bitcoin and blockchains lash together an unusual distributed database with a libertarian economic model. People who understand databases realize that blockchains only work as long as there are incentives to keep a sufficient number of non-colluding miners active, preventing collusion is probably impossible, and that scaling blockchains up to handle an interesting transaction rate is very hard, but that no-government money is really interesting.
People who understand economics and particularly economic history understand why central banks manage their currencies, thin markets like the ones for cryptocurrencies are easy to corrupt, and a payment system needs a way to undo bogus payments, but that free permanent database ledger is really interesting.
Not surprisingly, the most enthusiastic bitcoin and blockchain proponents are the ones who understand neither databases nor economics.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Sono posted:

hindenburgcoin goes up up OH poo poo

Can't wait for a storm to smash that lovely balloon into the river.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/token_mario/status/996028695176413184?s=21

quote:

As you can probably tell, this protest is meant to be a joke.

But this joke today is going to be the reality in the very near future.

This protest is representative of what will happen to those industries and companies that fail to understand times have changed.

Legacy industries that have gone unchallenged for decades will soon begin to see their monopoly slip away.

well that's one he*k of a thing

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
holy poo poo a chris crocker reference in 2018

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

did anyone say but:toxx: yet

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sham bam bamina! posted:

holy poo poo a chris crocker reference in 2018

the laffchain never forgets a meme

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

this bitcoin convention is the saddest thing ever

they couldn't even get vitalik "man who danced to that badger meme song live on stage" butterin

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
they all say once you make money in crypto, you buy a lambo

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol. I saw an old beamer with "crypto" plates and that was groan worthy enough. they're trying to "the secret" themselves into wealth

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
get rich with One Weird Trick, bankers hate it!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

vortmax posted:

lightening - making something lighter
"lightening the load" "lightening the color"

lightning - giant sparks
"cloud to ground lightning" "lightning network"

lightening means making something lighter in reference to both shade, and weight

lightning is a variant form of lightening, as in, to make less dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Foo Diddley posted:

get rich with One Weird Trick, bankers hate it!

bankers do hate it, but i do not think it will make anyone rich

• Locked thread