Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Emy posted:

Guns in the arms have an extra +1 bonus to hit (5%).
Oh drat, looks like I need to shift my fitting on my Awesome. Cya nipple guns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OhGreatAGinger posted:

One way to change things up would be to add more terrain and weather conditions. There's some advanced rules for table-top (forget which book/s it's in) about terrain hazards such as mechs getting bogged down in swampland and snow and weather such as hurricanes and tornados making it impossible to fire missile weapons and giving a heavy penalty to firing ballistic weapons.

Yeah, this is all I'd want really from a Battletech expansion. That, and more mechs, of course, and also preferably in the future- I want a Bushwhacker, darn it!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
When the final mission says "make sure you can field multiple lances" does that include pilots? Also how hard are talking here? I have basically an A-team of Highlander/Battlemaster/Catapult/Orion and then the rest of my mechs are some Thunderbolts/Jagers and a Trebuchet, is that gonna be enough?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's two missions back to back, and any damage to mechs or pilots carries over. You shouldn't need more than a spare or two of each.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Night10194 posted:

I'm pretty sure removing the second AC20 from a King Crab is some kind of robot crime.
I have two King Crabs with exactly zero AC20s between them :smug:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

RabidWeasel posted:

It's like a bike without wheels. Abominations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

You can fit two AC-20's on a Orion-1V, who needs a king crab?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nonsense, God intended those Crabs to have Gauss Rifles, not AC/20s.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's hard to give up the double ACs, but SRMs are too go to let those missile hardpoints go to waste.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

RabidWeasel posted:

The Ares Convention was because of people like you.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well there's no god here today, just me.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

If you strip off enough armor, you can fit two AC/20s on a Jagermech.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Taerkar posted:

Heavier units really should be more resilient to knockdowns
Since I'm not making 60 LRM boat monsters I can maybe knock down one mech if I work real hard at it and make sure to reserve so they get to go first and get first swing at shooting me in the dick.

"LOL make it harder to knock things down!" wouldn't encourage me to play 'smarter', so much as encourage me to spam harder rather than use a wider variety of tactics, or lighter mech classes for funhaving.

"Oh what's that? 30 vanilla LRM across my entire lance,, one AC20 in my lance with a mix of light SRM or melee can't knock over a single thunderbolt anymore if I work at it and make sure they went first? Better bring two 40+ lrm boats with +Stab mods like everyone else then."

So it's gonna be pretty boring if they go through with nerfs to stability, particularly for the topheavy late game.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 14, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dandywalken posted:

Heavier mechs getting knockdown resistance will be eventually extrapolated into a disadvantage for Lights I imagine.

Well, uh, it kind of is, memes aside. Heavier mechs already have an overwhelming firepower and armor advantage, so heavies gaining resistance to the status ailment most likely to kill you while lights don't is kind of a sad thing for lights.

Section Z posted:

Since I'm not making 60 LRM boat monsters I can maybe knock down one mech if I work real hard at it and make sure to reserve so they get to go first and get first swing at shooting me in the dick.

"LOL make it harder to knock things down!" wouldn't encourage me to play 'smarter', so much as encourage me to spam harder rather than use a wider variety of tactics, or lighter mech classes for funhaving.

"Oh what's that? 30 LRM across my entire lance,, one AC20 in my lance with a mix of light SRM or melee can't exactly knock over a single thunderbolt anymore if I work at it and make sure they went first? Better bring two 40+ lrm boats like everyone else then."

I can nearly max an assault mech's stability bar with just my Highlander(Gauss, 2 LRM20+ with +1 stb dmg) and tip it over by poking it with some random SRM fire from anyone else in my lance after. My Awesome has 2 PPC++ that both have double stability upgrades and he takes a 'mech from empty stability to like 3 bars with just the peepers. It's probably way too easy to knock people over right now considering knocking an enemy mech over usually means that mech is dead or is going to lose the majority of its firepower.

Called Shot is an immensely powerful and difficult to balance mechanic since armor values in battletech are generally made assuming you're going to sandpaper the enemy a little bit instead of alpha blapping their CT at first opportunity.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 14, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Skippy McPants posted:

It's two missions back to back, and any damage to mechs or pilots carries over. You shouldn't need more than a spare or two of each.

That doesn't sound fun. I have been selling my old stuff and now I wish I hadn't!
Is it easyish?

I do wish there was a difficulty slider now. I want to finish the game but I don't know if I have the patience for really tough end battles. I definitely don't want a nerf to called shot because I feel like that's the only thing that makes later battles tolerable, otherwise they'd be horrendous slugfests.

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 14, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

Well, uh, it kind of is, memes aside. Heavier mechs already have an overwhelming firepower and armor advantage, so heavies gaining resistance to the status ailment most likely to kill you while lights don't is kind of a sad thing for lights.

I can nearly max an assault mech's stability bar with just my Highlander(Gauss, 2 LRM20+ with +1 stb dmg) and tip it over by poking it with some random SRM fire from anyone else in my lance after. My Awesome has 2 PPC++ that both have double stability upgrades and he takes a 'mech from empty stability to like 3 bars with just the peepers. It's probably way too easy to knock people over right now considering knocking an enemy mech over usually means that mech is dead or is going to lose the majority of its firepower.

Called Shot is an immensely powerful and difficult to balance mechanic since armor values in battletech are generally made assuming you're going to sandpaper the enemy a little bit instead of alpha blapping their CT at first opportunity.
That's kind of my point?

Do you make an example of Assault mechs just having too much space for an AC20+LRM20 launcher on nearly every unit or some base escalation concern?

No, you first example is complain about your one of a kind gauss rifle + Stab bonus LRMS. Or dual top shelf designed for better knockdowns PPCs with the highest stability bonus in the game.

The kneejerk reaction is to cry that multiple +30 stability weapons, mechs with more stability damage than some entire assault lances combined, are good at inflicting stability damage.

Built a mech with FIVE normal PPC's worth of stability damage via two of them? Better nerf how effective regular PPCs are.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 14, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

LostCosmonaut posted:

If you strip off enough armor, you can fit two AC/20s on a Jagermech.

Boomjagers :fap:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want to strap an AC20 to a locust and have the locust roll to not explode when I shoot it. I also want to strap an assault jump jet to it so it can just blast off wherever, and again have it roll to not explode or break both of its legs when landing.

Give me Kerbal Mech Program

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The voice of a generation

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Final Standings for the MP Launch Tournament opening round have been posted!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855157&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post484067466

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I want to strap an AC20 to a locust and have the locust roll to not explode when I shoot it.

NB: the tabletop game has the Heavy Gauss Rifle, which does about that. You have to make piloting checks every time you fire it to not fall over. And it cannot be mounted in arm slots because it would tear them off.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Anyone know what ports need to be forwarded for multiplayer to work? I can very rarely join other people's games and it seems like people can attempt to join mine and then can't finalize the connection or something. (I just had 5 people join and quit immediately, maybe they just didn't like the map!)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

after I finish the campaign I'm going to mod in a Clanbuster King Crab, I've probably mentioned that

it will be a complete nightmare and make a complete mockery of all that is "difficulty"

I'm 2/4 on collecting King Crabs for the campaign so, making progress. It's like a weird chain of headshots, in that I headshot the first one with my Gausslander and take it for salvage, first mission after fitting out the King Crab it goes out and the king crab pilot headshots a second one. So now I have two. I'm pretty sure three is just another headshot away at this rate.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lol, once you beat the main campaign yang goes on about how he wants to wrench on bizarre mech types so you should go find weird poo poo. He says "A stalker with paddles for arms? I want that."

King Crab chat:

2 AC20 and 1 LRM 15 fits perfectly. The LRM gives it a nice bit of long range oomph plus is good for tipping over the odd mech that is maxed on stab without doing AC20 damage to it. Multi-shot and breaching shot make this a loving beast.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

RBA Starblade posted:

I want to strap an AC20 to a locust and have the locust roll to not explode when I shoot it. I also want to strap an assault jump jet to it so it can just blast off wherever, and again have it roll to not explode or break both of its legs when landing.

Well...

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

That's like, extra lost LosTech :laugh:

But :iia: and I miss LAMs. I remember someone having made a third-party LAM for, I believe, Microsoft Flight Sim '98. Those were the days.

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 14, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well if I had another I'd run one like that!

(Yes, I know I could mod it so I could)

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Luigi Thirty posted:

I wish there was a button that reset a mech to its stock configuration if you have all the parts to do so.

You can send to storage and then ready the mech to do this

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
"Live Fire" is such a bitch, hiding out in the Free Worlds League version of TRADOC instead of actually being a mechwarrior. a shameful and dumb backstory

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Holy poo poo that's amazing. The best I could ever do was crashlanding carriers onto Mars. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cyrano4747 posted:

King Crab chat:

2 AC20 and 1 LRM 15 fits perfectly. The LRM gives it a nice bit of long range oomph plus is good for tipping over the odd mech that is maxed on stab without doing AC20 damage to it. Multi-shot and breaching shot make this a loving beast.

This works, it's probably the best all-purpose loadout (your KCs will be out of AC range a lot, they're slow) but I have been experimenting.

Couple things I've found - if you strip jumpjets for armor tonnage you can put in two AC/20s and 2-3 ML, I use the +damage versions of all of them. It's too hot to run the lasers every strike but when I really want something to go the gently caress away that's a minimum of 275 with base versions and 330 with the lasers. It's sinked enough to run them 2-3 alphas in a row before you have to cool off with "only" the AC/20s. 6 tons of jumpjet is basically coming right out of armor (no) or weapons, hence why I pulled them. Not super thrilled with the lack of JJ but they don't get much jump range with only 2 jets so it's really a 6 or 0 proposition.

Filling it with nothing but SRM launchers is extremely amusing, but gets pretty tonnage-heavy with ammo. On the other hand you don't need more than about six or eight shots worth considering not much stands up to a called shot. I think I could probably squeeze in some MLs if I went light on ammo so it'd be a called shot killer that would be empty 3/4 of the way through the mission, but would also have six kills practically guaranteed :ocelot:

Haven't made an LRM-boat Crab because that seems wrong but I'll want one eventually for my all-King Crab lance. Right now I'm using an LRM70 Highlander 733, which works. Slightly more armor, more heatsinks, and 10 more LRMs per salvo than my Jagermech boat. A pretty good upgrade, and one that finally let me store my Catapult C1s for good.

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 14, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kanos posted:

Yeah, this. The only real weakness of heavy and assault mechs is that they're just as easy to knock over as lighter mechs.

Here's a better fix: make indirect fire have a penalty to stability damage. LRM boating is the main way to completely abuse stability, and a lot of that is because indirect fire is a really powerful tool. Being able to hide a unit from return fire is the ultimate defense, but even if you're not trying to hide a tinfoil LRM boat the positional advantages are pretty good.

It even makes vague sense thematically -- indirect LRMs are raining down from above, not hitting side on and pushing the guy over. And they shouldn't be hitting the legs as much.

LRMs would still be a major player for stability damage, but they wouldn't knock a guy over every turn like clockwork from concentrated fire like they can now. And LRM boats would still be a viable build, though the tactics for using them would be way more difficult than hiding them behind a rock.

(I also think this would be one of the balance changes that I'd be fine with in SP. Not that the AI intentionally tries to abuse indirect fire, but man when they do it by accident it can be pretty loving annoying to have the boot on the other foot. That feeling when a mission suddenly becomes "hunt down the LRM carrier with extreme prejudice before all my dudes end up in the hospital for months".)

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
My last mission before I went to bed was to clear out some pirates and they turned up with an Atlas, Stalker and Awesome. I was a bit worried at first but then my Orion just randomly blew the Atlas cockpit off with an AC20 round on the first shot.

Now my Orion pilot is in an Atlas :smug:

Is there a good way to fit this? It seems super slow but I just can't find the weight savings I would need to fit 4 JJs on it. I was thinking maybe swap the Gauss from the Highlander into it with LRMs so I don't need to get into AC20 range before I can start firing?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Section Z posted:

That's kind of my point?

Do you make an example of Assault mechs just having too much space for an AC20+LRM20 launcher on nearly every unit or some base escalation concern?

No, you first example is complain about your one of a kind gauss rifle + Stab bonus LRMS. Or dual top shelf designed for better knockdowns PPCs with the highest stability bonus in the game.

The kneejerk reaction is to cry that multiple +30 stability weapons, mechs with more stability damage than some entire assault lances combined, are good at inflicting stability damage.

Built a mech with FIVE normal PPC's worth of stability damage via two of them? Better nerf how effective regular PPCs are.

The weapons aren't top shelf, though. I only have LRM20+s, that's a single plus, with +1 stability damage, not some LRM20+++ monsters. These are ridiculously common, not some kind of super rare thing, and I had them before I had heavy mechs. The Gauss is one of a kind, but it does identical stability damage to a base AC/20; you could replicate my setup without the gauss by throwing on a base level AC/20 instead at the cost of some heat generation, and it would work fine with the LRM launchers because sufficient pilot levels basically nullifies most of the minimum range penalty. Hell, throw on some +stb SRMs instead and have room for something else.

My PPCs were thrown on to provide long range punch while closing to medium laser range. If I wanted to run a stability gimmick I could throw another PPC on and double sink it the gently caress up and have a stability godmonster, or I could just bring another missile boat because missiles are hilariously busted.

It's simply way too easy to accidentally roll your way into knockdown town if you do any customization whatsoever, even if you're not consciously attempting to cheese the system. I guess if you're running stock mechs only or going for a laser disco lance it's not excessive, but I guarantee you that the vast majority of players going through campaign are going to customize at least a little bit. Since knockdowns basically mean that the knocked down mech is dead or crippled beyond combat efficacy(assuming you're timing your knockdown and not just spamming wildly), yeah it should be pretty hard to knock someone down. This is actually another example of something that works pretty well in the early phases of the game(because lights and mediums don't really have enough tonnage to mount enough stability damage easily barring your odd centurion missile boat), but becomes a problem when you've got Big Boys duking it out.

(Of course this isn't even addressing the fact that you don't even need to knock a mech down to do called shots and once you hit endgame the 100% optimally correct strategy in campaign in almost all circumstances when faced with an opponent of heavy class or larger is to click precision strike and core out your opponent's CT with alphas.)

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Night10194 posted:

Dekker's backstory specifically mentions he's slowly developed a philosophy of 'any battle you walk away from was a good one'.

And me, like a dummy, lost him on my first mission... I thought it was over and parked his Spyder with broken left side armor in the end zone while two tanks fired salves of missiles onto... his left side. Oh well, that's what second (and third...) playthroughs are for. I'm loving the pace of combat in this one so far.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Has someone found a way to directly give yourself stuff yet? King Crab hunting is not a fun endeavour.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Folks realize you can tweak a bunch of difficulty things and mission parameters (it’s me, I’m using lights and mediums in the post-campaign) right this second without directly nerfing everyone’s experience, right?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tinkering with the .json files is pretty simple and flexible, hence all the mods for custom equipment, later-tech weapons, and +++ SLDF
Tech on the nexus.

SpookyLizard posted:

Has someone found a way to directly give yourself stuff yet? King Crab hunting is not a fun endeavour.

I just modded the store .json files.

This is also why I already have a Clanbuster King Crab.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SpookyLizard posted:

edit data\shops\shopdef_Mech_all.json to delete the line that says "debug" at the top, wait until the shops regenerate and you should be able to buy any mech anywhere

(at full price, edit the discount modifiers to get them cheaper)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Taear posted:

I think it'd be nice if the Guts health buff meant that you weren't injured until you'd worked through that health. Having to wait for people in the medbay when their mech is absolutely pristine but they've taken a pip of damage out of their 6 health is dumb.
I know that'd make cockpit mods a bit useless but eh, who cares.
This would be nice. Every time the AI gets to shoot an SRM or an MG at me I receive a head hit and it has gotten really old. I have quite a few well trained pilots now but it was sure a slog getting here.