Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Your Computer posted:

Just play, basically :shrug: There's a ton of unlockables, like defeating the different parts of the game with all the characters on each difficulty/game mode. Some of it is game-changing like giving the characters starting items or unlocking overpowered items, but others (unless this has been changed) are purely detrimental. Yeah you heard that right, BoI is a game that will get worse as you unlock certain things :v:

Some items aren't really detrimental, but I'd say that they're not good either. The big downside though to unlocking more items though is diluting the item pool more and more with each unlock with items that may or may not synergize well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
The real meta-game for Isaac is always picking up Soy Milk and trying to make it good.

It got me my first and only Ultra-Greedier kill, combined with Ipecac and Pyro, and literally every other time I get it I die because of it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If life gives you Soy Milk, cry.... a lot :qq:

Dizz posted:

Some items aren't really detrimental, but I'd say that they're not good either. The big downside though to unlocking more items though is diluting the item pool more and more with each unlock with items that may or may not synergize well.

Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†: Some Items Aren't Really Detrimental

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is it just nostalgia when it comes to SMRPG? Because that game is so overrated. It doesn't hold up well over time and compared to other RPG fare in the mid 90s...it is very lacking.

It is 22 years old. So yeah, I'm guessing it is nostalgia. Was probably great for 8 year olds because it's a game for 8 year olds.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
yeah item dillution is no joke in issac since on average it makes runs more dull. i wouldn’t be afraid to wiki the unlock pool and generally cherry pick challenges and unlocks, 100 percenting the game is decidedly not worth it. i’ve actually enjoyed switch issac a lot more because i’m not playing the worst parts of the game over and over to get usually bad extra item unlocks. also gently caress the three hardest bosses in the game for being (mostly) scaled damage sponges.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Is it just nostalgia when it comes to SMRPG? Because that game is so overrated. It doesn't hold up well over time and compared to other RPG fare in the mid 90s...it is very lacking.

It is 22 years old. So yeah, I'm guessing it is nostalgia. Was probably great for 8 year olds because it's a game for 8 year olds.
Its not a great game mechanically, few snes rpgs were, but what it has is personality.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It's too bad licensing would make things too complicated for an American version of that "Shonen Jump Famicom Classic but a lot of the games are poop" mini-console but instead of anime games it's licensed movie and TV NES games from the 80's and really early 90's.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah speaking of ridiculously bad poo poo in The Binding of Isaac: some of the curses.

I say that unavoidable damage is a sign of bad game design and a terrible way to increase difficulty, but literally the worst way to increase difficulty is to make the screen so dark you literally can't see what's going on. At least in the PC version I could crank up my monitor's gamma, on the Switch? Especially in handheld mode? gently caress you, sincerely Edmund McMillen.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A sequel to Mario RPG is like my holy grail of video game dreams.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

that’s too dismissive imo

it’s decidedly kid friendly (i mean it’s mario) , and it’s not hard, but it did so much so well. the battle system, the explorable worlds, most of the mini games, the music, the humor. it’s not like a deep epic baldur’s gate type experience but i think it stands with the other top shelf snes rpgs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RCarr posted:

Haven't there been a bunch of sequels? M&L and PM series are both from the same lineage, and PM was originally named SMRPG2.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

RCarr posted:

Mine is a modern reboot of Interstate '76 that I also hope never happens because holy LoL would it be terrible thanks to modern open world design conventions and post-release monetization.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Haven't there been a bunch of sequels? M&L and PM series are both from the same lineage, and PM was originally named SMRPG2.

I mean a real sequel that is actually similar to the first game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RCarr posted:

Mine is a proper sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

RCarr posted:

I mean a real sequel that is actually similar to the first game.

How similar are we talking here because both PM and M&L share many mechanics with SMPRG.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Princeps32 posted:

also gently caress the three hardest bosses in the game for being (mostly) scaled damage sponges.

They aren't exactly scaled, there's just a cap on the damage they can take from a single source. Repeated small ticks of damage (like the flies from the Guppy transformation) will still melt them really quickly, but big bursts of damage aren't as effective.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

How similar are we talking here because both PM and M&L share many mechanics with SMPRG.

Identical. I want them to just ship the original Mario RPG with a new title.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RCarr posted:

Identical. I want them to just ship the original Mario RPG with a new title.

It was called the Wii U.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga I think even had the same director as Mario RPG.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I want a Mario RPG with 3 party members, enough of this "2 person party" horseshit, that's not a proper RPG party

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga I think even had the same director as Mario RPG.
Chihiro Fujioka was the director on Mario RPG, and he's been involved in some form or another with the entire Mario & Luigi series, usually as an area designer if the Mobygames credits are right.

As of 2014, he still thinks Mario RPG is the best game he ever worked on.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want a Mario RPG where you can gently caress Daisy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Let me tell you all about this game called Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I want a Mario RPG with 3 party members, enough of this "2 person party" horseshit, that's not a proper RPG party

Mario RPG had 3 person parties though?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Waltzing Along posted:

Mario RPG was my first RPG and it showed me what a cool genre that was. Now looking at my Switch library of almost 80 games and something like 12 of them are RPGs. Just because something is for kids doesn't make it bad, in fact that can often be a very good thing. There are a lot of kids around, after all.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

So is "Star Fox Grand Prix" on the F-Zero Rammers level of stupid "leaks" or is it on the level of "Star Fox+ Metroid game" in terms of stupidity

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/308975-rumor-retro-studios-working-on-star-fox-grand-prix-for-nintend

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That makes that one ending of Command canon

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DLC Inc posted:

Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam gives you the three person party of Mario, Luigi, and Paper Mario

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Brother Entropy posted:

i hopped off of isaac once they started introducing bosses that take a fuckton of time no matter how powerful your shots are

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Isaacchat: I'm not especially good at the game, and I haven't curated my item unlocks in the slightest, and I don't feel that the game is unspeakable bullshit or that my experience has been hurt by the unlocks at all. I can win a good majority of runs, and the unlocks have on the whole only made things easier.

There was a streamer who had a winstreak in the hundreds, so a bunch of wins are definitely plausible (admittedly, I wouldn't play that safely because I find it boring)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Eh, there really isn't unavoidable damage in Isaac. Once you get to a certain skill level, you start to view health as a currency. I'm not great at it, but my friends are on a whole different level with the game, and they're by no means pro-gamers. It gets much easier when you know what items do what. Isaac is like jazz, sometimes it's the items you don't take.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's possible to win in isaac from almost any situation but games where you have garbage tears and do minimal damage for most of the run are certainly not fun and the frequency of those has increased every time a bunch of new items has been added to the game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Eh, there really isn't unavoidable damage in Isaac. Once you get to a certain skill level, you start to view health as a currency. I'm not great at it, but my friends are on a whole different level with the game, and they're by no means pro-gamers. It gets much easier when you know what items do what. Isaac is like jazz, sometimes it's the items you don't take.

If only I had put another two thousand hours into BoI I too would be able to understand it like jazz

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's also Isaac apps you can download that tell you what the items are and how to unlock them.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
You weren't kidding about the Celeste soundtrack. Holy crap.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Check out the B-Sides sound track too.
2Mello's track feels straight up David Wise.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Eurogamer are reporting the Star Fox Grand Prix leak as well. Looks like it might be legitimate.

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/996021609864548352

I wanna go vroom vroom as Wolf.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

JordanKai posted:

Eurogamer are reporting the Star Fox Grand Prix leak as well. Looks like it might be legitimate.

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/996021609864548352

I wanna go vroom vroom as Wolf.

Oh boy, just what I've always wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

Oh boy, just what I've always wanted.

Unironically. What a cool, cool, fake leak

• Locked thread