Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Croccers posted:

Hahahahaha.
This is how the joint I work for still does it.

You can be sure of Shell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
RE: Financial chat.
I still pay for a lot of stuff by card, never the less I take a few hundred cash out of every pay cheque. Its WAY too easy to spend yourself broke if you are constantly using plastic to pay for everything. Been there done that. Luckily I don't get charged like 57.00$ everytime I overdraw my account, which still happens occasionally (getting better). But yeah, if you're taking out cash all the time from the bank, you're more cognizant of your balance, like: "Oh poo poo, its Tuesday, I don't get paid till Friday, and I've only got 50 bucks left in the bank, better call the guys/girls/people and tell them I can't come out for beers tonight, cause I don't want to overdraw my account and pay that 3562462 dollar service charge". If everything you buy is with acard, you don't necessarily get to see your bank balance.

Also, having cash is a good way to save cash.
I saved up :canada: quarters, 1 and 2$ coins, along with 5s 10s a few 20s and even the occasional 50 dollar bills. The 50s were for inspiration. In 10 months I had saved up over 500 bucks. In fairness, I had to dip in to it a few times, but only for absolute necessities. If I needed it because say, my fridge broke and I had to get it fixed, or a new one, then yeah, I would have used that toward fixing/replacing the poo poo, but I didn't. Instead, I used it to celebrate paying off my credit card, by buying a bunch of gun poo poo, not on my credit card.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

RE: Financial chat.
I still pay for a lot of stuff by card, never the less I take a few hundred cash out of every pay cheque. Its WAY too easy to spend yourself broke if you are constantly using plastic to pay for everything. Been there done that. Luckily I don't get charged like 57.00$ everytime I overdraw my account, which still happens occasionally (getting better). But yeah, if you're taking out cash all the time from the bank, you're more cognizant of your balance, like: "Oh poo poo, its Tuesday, I don't get paid till Friday, and I've only got 50 bucks left in the bank, better call the guys/girls/people and tell them I can't come out for beers tonight, cause I don't want to overdraw my account and pay that 3562462 dollar service charge". If everything you buy is with acard, you don't necessarily get to see your bank balance.
And sometimes purchases don't go through in the order you want. Sometimes deliberately. Looking at you, Western Union.

quote:

Also, having cash is a good way to save cash.
I saved up :canada: quarters, 1 and 2$ coins, along with 5s 10s a few 20s and even the occasional 50 dollar bills. The 50s were for inspiration. In 10 months I had saved up over 500 bucks. In fairness, I had to dip in to it a few times, but only for absolute necessities. If I needed it because say, my fridge broke and I had to get it fixed, or a new one, then yeah, I would have used that toward fixing/replacing the poo poo, but I didn't. Instead, I used it to celebrate paying off my credit card, by buying a bunch of gun poo poo, not on my credit card.

I do the same. Debit card is only for purchases I know I need use it to make and gets filled accordingly. What I don't need for that or cash on hand, goes into savings.

I don't even bother taking pennies out of the change return at the supermarket though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I will save whatever quarters I can just in case I need to use one of those stupid tire air filling stations. It's getting harder and harder to find any to save though.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm late on the 90's video game talk, and I'm not sure if this has been posted, but loving hell these bring back some stuff..

http://oldgamemags.tumblr.com/

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

enigmahfc posted:

I'm late on the 90's video game talk, and I'm not sure if this has been posted, but loving hell these bring back some stuff..

Thanks for the link, I have a lot of nostalgia for 80s/90s videogame magazines. (I was a Gamepro fan)

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

enigmahfc posted:

Aren't all issues of Nintendo Power online somewhere? That'd bring back memories for me of so many games I never played but knew so much about.

edit: found it

https://archive.org/details/Nintendo_Power_Issue001-Issue127

ryonguy has a new favorite as of 18:00 on May 14, 2018

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Randaconda posted:

Thanks for the link, I have a lot of nostalgia for 80s/90s videogame magazines. (I was a Gamepro fan)

i've always liked how in pre 2000's advertising you could directly call out your competition by name as being poo poo. you could use their branding, designs and everything and just say they are terrible compared to your amazing product.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plavski posted:

i've always liked how in pre 2000's advertising you could directly call out your competition by name as being poo poo. you could use their branding, designs and everything and just say they are terrible compared to your amazing product.

I never knew anybody with a Jaguar. Hell, at least the 3D0 had some good games for it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Randaconda posted:

I never knew anybody with a Jaguar. Hell, at least the 3D0 had some good games for it.

i think i knew one person with a lynx; that was as much of an impact atari had on market towns in england in the 90s. we all sure as gently caress wanted a neo geo though

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Randaconda posted:

My coworker brought it up the other day that he had one as a kid. I was blown away. They seemed like a myth back in the 90's. Nobody I knew had one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Beastie posted:

My coworker brought it up the other day that he had one as a kid. I was blown away. They seemed like a myth back in the 90's. Nobody I knew had one.

In high school, I knew someone who claimed to have one, I never saw it with my own eyes.

There was someone else who had a virtual boy, I did see that one.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plavski posted:

i think i knew one person with a lynx; that was as much of an impact atari had on market towns in england in the 90s. we all sure as gently caress wanted a neo geo though

Everybody wanted a Neo-Geo. Never knew anybody who had one of those, either, but it was a drat fine console.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Randaconda posted:

Everybody wanted a Neo-Geo. Never knew anybody who had one of those, either, but it was a drat fine console.

i think we all just wanted it because it was so stupidly expensive. the games were like £80, a stonkingly huge amount of money for us kids.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plavski posted:

i think we all just wanted it because it was so stupidly expensive. the games were like £80, a stonkingly huge amount of money for us kids.

Yeah, but playing arcade games at home was amazing during that time.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

In high school, I knew someone who claimed to have one, I never saw it with my own eyes.

My grandma won a Virtual Boy when they opened the Walmart in her town. I was so blown away by it. Still only have two games for it (the two it came with): Mario Tennis and some bullet hell game.

Bullet hell game was/is rad with the 3d because you can dodge below the enemies. Pretty standard for the genre but it looks radical.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Plavski posted:

It was sold as a 24-bit system when 16-bit systems were the standard. It also had a bunch of games that people liked at the arcade. In theory it was supposed to basically be a home version of the arcade; games that literally couldn't work on a console otherwise could suddenly be played at home. It had nicer graphics and was better so of course everybody wanted one. It was an arcade! In your HOUSE!!!!

The snag was that it was absurdly expensive for a console. Unless you had rich parents you weren't getting one. I knew one kid that had one but he was a lovely, spoiled rich kid so he'd lord it over everybody else and never, ever let them touch it. I saw two of them in a store once but they didn't stay there long nor did the games; so few of them sold that it just wasn't worth stocking. Even parts that could afford it were often like "why buy another console? You already have one." By that point you could get a second-hand SNES, a second-hand Genesis, and a pile of games for how much a NEO*GEO cost. I think you could even get a new one of both and some games for that price. Other times people would look at the console and think "well maybe, if it's so much better" but then see the game prices and go "lol, nah."

I never even saw a Jaguar in the store. Nobody I knew even claimed to have one. There were insane rumors over what the system (that and the Lynx) were capable of but as far as we knew the drat things didn't even exist.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Lynx owned, I wish I hadn't forgotten to pack mine when I fled Kansas :negative:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

i used to play the display lynx down at dixons but the games were always crap so i'd just play the game gear there instead. i think my old next door neighbours had a 32x at one point, but i could be confused. no-one had a mega cd though, that i guarantee

for some reason loads of us grew out of consoles kinda early and all my friends had amiga a500 and a600's. not me though. i still rocked my amstrad cpc 464 and my snes until we abandoned the country

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
One of my cousins had a Jaguar with only one game: the absolutely :krad: port of Doom. He was the envy of the rest of the family, the Jaguar cost a small fortune in Mexico.

Never saw one in the states though, I assumed it was some sort of weird Mexican thing for years

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I knew one person who had both the Sega CD and the 32x. I mean, if you already wasted money on a Genesis, and found out how it had few to no good exclusives, and was filled with shovelware sports games and beat 'em ups, and little of anything else, why buy the doomed to failure add-ons?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Plavski posted:

i used to play the display lynx down at dixons but the games were always crap so i'd just play the game gear there instead. i think my old next door neighbours had a 32x at one point, but i could be confused. no-one had a mega cd though, that i guarantee

for some reason loads of us grew out of consoles kinda early and all my friends had amiga a500 and a600's. not me though. i still rocked my amstrad cpc 464 and my snes until we abandoned the country

My parents weren't great at picking winners.

We only got a NES because I was apparently demanding about it, I very clearly recall my dad eying the Ataris that were still available at the time.

We got the Lynx because they thought it would be better than the Gameboy. I mean it was on a technical level, but it was also more expensive, so I was the kid that had one.

We ended up with a 32X because my mom got it off the clearance rack.

The only reason they got Blu-Ray right was because they hedged their bets and bought an HDDVD player at the same time, at least they didn't fall for DIVX

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

My parents weren't great at picking winners.

We only got a NES because I was apparently demanding about it, I very clearly recall my dad eying the Ataris that were still available at the time.

We got the Lynx because they thought it would be better than the Gameboy. I mean it was on a technical level, but it was also more expensive, so I was the kid that had one.

We ended up with a 32X because my mom got it off the clearance rack.

The only reason they got Blu-Ray right was because they hedged their bets and bought an HDDVD player at the same time, at least they didn't fall for DIVX

My mom walked into a store and asked the salesman what the best top of the line console was. She came home with a Sega Dreamcast. This was Christmas 1999. I was stoked when I got it but it dawned on me and my brother pretty quickly that the PS2 was better.

I've since developed a fondness for my Dreamcast. It's too weird to live, too rare to die.

It's forever 9/9/99 in my mind.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Randaconda posted:

I knew one person who had both the Sega CD and the 32x. I mean, if you already wasted money on a Genesis, and found out how it had few to no good exclusives, and was filled with shovelware sports games and beat 'em ups, and little of anything else, why buy the doomed to failure add-ons?

The gently caress...?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I was a child I could have asked for a Genesis and I probably would have gotten one. But whenever I went over to a friends house to play it I had zero desire to own it. The SNES was so much better in every way. Even the controller was much better and the sound was not even in the same league. Try out Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition on the Genesis and it sounds like it's broken.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mu Zeta posted:

When I was a child I could have asked for a Genesis and I probably would have gotten one. But whenever I went over to a friends house to play it I had zero desire to own it. The SNES was so much better in every way. Even the controller was much better and the sound was not even in the same league. Try out Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition on the Genesis and it sounds like it's broken.

Yeah, Genesis was for the edgy teen crown, until they found out they spent their money to play sports games, shooters, and sometimes a Sonic game, and little else of any note.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I also can't google 'list of genesis games' or 'good genesis music'.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I still love The Shining Force games and the Phantasy Star games and a boat load more, but to each their own.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

enigmahfc posted:

The gently caress...?

have you not seen any of his other completely disconnected-from-reality posts about Sega and the Genesis in this very thread

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I also can't google 'list of genesis games' or 'good genesis music'.

All of the good genesis music is in Sonic 3.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Streets of Rage had good music in the intro. But the sound hardware on the Genesis was trash.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Streets of Rage had good music in the intro. But the sound hardware on the Genesis was trash.

Eh, that's true of a lot of video game music of the era. The composition was often phenomenal but the limited hardware could only do so much with it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I had a TurboGrafx 16. Technically it was superior to the Genesis but it was loving expensive so it kinda flopped with a lovely library of games. I wish my dad chose the SNES instead :(

Speaking of lesser game systems, I knew one kid with a Neo-Geo but when he told me that I assumed he was a rich dickhead he was

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

a lot of times the genesis soundtracks ended up better than the snes tbh. both had their strengths and some soundtracks are better on the genesis (cf. earthworm jim for one example, shadowrun's awesome score on the genesis for another)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Croatoan posted:

I had a TurboGrafx 16. Technically it was superior to the Genesis but it was loving expensive so it kinda flopped with a lovely library of games. I wish my dad chose the SNES instead :(

Speaking of lesser game systems, I knew one kid with a Neo-Geo but when he told me that I assumed he was a rich dickhead he was

I'll never understand the Neo Geo. Why would you pay $300 for a dozen Street Fighter ripoffs and Puzzle Bobble. Each loving game was $300.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Plavski posted:

a lot of times the genesis soundtracks ended up better than the snes tbh. both had their strengths and some soundtracks are better on the genesis (cf. earthworm jim for one example, shadowrun's awesome score on the genesis for another)

I really think the best video game soundtrack of the era has to go to Final Fantasy VI.

I still find myself absent-mindedly humming music from the game. Relm's Theme in particular is to this day one of my favorite pieces of music ever written. Pretty much anything Nobuo Uematsu touches turns to gold and hearing an actual orchestra perform his stuff is a thing to hear.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I really think the best video game soundtrack of the era has to go to Final Fantasy VI.

I still find myself absent-mindedly humming music from the game. Relm's Theme in particular is to this day one of my favorite pieces of music ever written. Pretty much anything Nobuo Uematsu touches turns to gold and hearing an actual orchestra perform his stuff is a thing to hear.

there's an argument to be made for the strength of the composer over the strength of the chip in that case. i mean, uematsu is world class.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I'll never understand the Neo Geo. Why would you pay $300 for a dozen Street Fighter ripoffs and Puzzle Bobble. Each loving game was $300.

idiot dipshit

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

And Tyler Too! posted:

The only genesis game I played was Sonic 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Iron Crowned posted:

I had a virtual boy! It had a sweet wario game on it.