Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm doing Kenji's carne asada tomorrow (for my old man birthday party :toot:), but vizzling instead of grilling. I don't cook meat much at all so I'd love goon input.

I have 26 hours before searing and eating.

Q1: Puddle how long? Joule says max 8 hours, but other guides show it super tender at 24 hours.

Q2: Which of my searing options would you recommend?

Natural gas grill - I think the conversion kit accounted for the innate lower temp of nat gas. It quickly and easily hits higher than the 600°F built-in thermometers.
Nat gas grill + preheated pizza steel
Inside oven broiler
Carbon steel pan (I have an outdoor burner next to my grill so no worries about smoke)

Cheers!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I would recommend not cooking skirt steak sous vide. You're not going to get a grill hot enough to finish without making the sous vide part pointless.

The steel pan would do it but youll need it explosively hot. It would be more fun and come out just as good to just follow the recipe imo.

E: since it's your birthday I'll actually answer your question and tell you your steak would probably come out best puddled between one and four hours. If you want your taco meat really soft for some reason, go long er.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 5, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Well I tried to buy a thicker cut but after taking it out of the vac bag to remove the silver skin I discovered that it was actually 1/2" thick folded in half, so yeah definitely no puddling. Thanks anyhow!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

BrianBoitano posted:

Well I tried to buy a thicker cut but after taking it out of the vac bag to remove the silver skin I discovered that it was actually 1/2" thick folded in half, so yeah definitely no puddling. Thanks anyhow!

Gonna be a good-rear end steak though! Don't be sad!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hell yeah. Just finished making the bacon fat tortillas for it!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So i planned on making steaks wednesday night, so I SV'ed them to 136F for 2 hours on Tuesday. Plans didn't end up working out, so they've been sitting in the fridge. Are they still good? Any idea how much longer they would be ok to cook?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

nwin posted:

So i planned on making steaks wednesday night, so I SV'ed them to 136F for 2 hours on Tuesday. Plans didn't end up working out, so they've been sitting in the fridge. Are they still good? Any idea how much longer they would be ok to cook?

Yeah, I'd eat them. That cooking temp/time means they are properly done. It's quite similar to buying sausages or cooked burgers in the supermarket. They're good for a month or so, your steaks can certainly sit for a week.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Attempting to eat much less meat lately. What are some good things for a vegetarian who loves to sous vide? Fish is ok. And yeah I know the salmon recipe :)

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

BrianBoitano posted:

Hell yeah. Just finished making the bacon fat tortillas for it!

oh my

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Attempting to eat much less meat lately. What are some good things for a vegetarian who loves to sous vide? Fish is ok. And yeah I know the salmon recipe :)

Carrots, bagged with sugar, butter and salt at 182F. e: or just a sprinkle of salt if you want to health it up even more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ola posted:

Carrots, bagged with sugar, butter and salt at 182F. e: or just a sprinkle of salt if you want to health it up even more.

This is good, but coffee carrots in the oven have ruined every other recipe for me.

Honestly for veggies I've gotten a lot more mileage out of the Instapot and air fryer than the sous vide.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

forgive me thread, none of this was sous vided

pretend I puddled the queso fresco instead of using a candy thermometer

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I read somewhere (I think this thread) that marinating a steak in the bag doesn't yield good results, but I take it marinating overnight will work fine?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No idea. The recipe explicitly states to marinate in the bag for up to 24 hours, wipe off excess, then grill. When I was researching, I found that Joule / Chef Steps says you can marinade for up to a day and puddle without removing the marinade.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

No idea. The recipe explicitly states to marinate in the bag for up to 24 hours, wipe off excess, then grill. When I was researching, I found that Joule / Chef Steps says you can marinade for up to a day and puddle without removing the marinade.

Err, sorry, I should have clarified that I wasn't asking about yours specifically; I wanted to know the general answer.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Bottom Liner posted:

coffee carrots in the oven

What is this

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

VERTiG0 posted:

What is this

quote:

It appeared mysteriously spartan on the menu at Coi, Daniel Patterson's ashram for food in San Francisco's North Beach: "Carrots/Coffee." What did it mean? It turned out to be genius--sweet, smoky, and earthy genius. Pencil-thin carrots are baked on a bed of coffee beans that warm gently, releasing their oils. This unexpected dish celebrates all the advantages of slow cooking: the coffee fumes gradually infuse the vegetables, creating an ephemeral sensation of something roasted that one can identify as "coffee" only after the tongue whispers to the brain.

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/carrots-slow-baked-on-coffee-beans

It's a real bougie food science dish, but c'mon, you have a sous vide so you're already far gone into that realm :v:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 9, 2018

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Bottom Liner posted:

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/carrots-slow-baked-on-coffee-beans

It's a real bougie food science dish, but c'mon, you have a sous vide so you're already far gone into that realm :v:

1 cup/90 g medium-roast coffee beans, preferably decaf

BLASPHEMY

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

CrazyLittle posted:

BLASPHEMY

That's so nobody tries to accidentally make coffee with them.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

BLASPHEMY

what else are you going to do with decaf beans anyway? straight on the compost heap?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Argue posted:

Err, sorry, I should have clarified that I wasn't asking about yours specifically; I wanted to know the general answer.
depends on what's in your marinade. salt will penetrate fairly rapidly, oil won't, and most other flavorings are too big to penetrate beyond 1/8inch.
not really an issue with skirt steak/thin cuts

e: link with pictures showing marinade penetration("Marinating at work") https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/marinades-and-brinerades/secrets-and-myths-marinades-brinerades-and-how-gashing-can

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 10, 2018

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Elizabethan Error posted:

what else are you going to do with decaf beans anyway? straight on the compost heap?

Throw them at mormons

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I had to get a friend to lug an Anova all the way from America but I finally got a circulator. Well, this was our first attempt at it with some relatively cheap tenderloin and I thought the doneness came out okay. Unfortunately we overseasoned it and it came out saltier than was tolerable, but everyone is looking forward to our next attempt which will use less salt.

Also, if we (10 people) each bring our own steaks, will they cook properly shingled over each other (each in its own separate bag) in our 12 quart container? I can't seem to find a suitable rack around here.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Argue posted:

Also, if we (10 people) each bring our own steaks, will they cook properly shingled over each other (each in its own separate bag) in our 12 quart container? I can't seem to find a suitable rack around here.

Yes, just give it some extra time a stir now and then as the plastic can trap convection. Your tenderloins look delicious, but the look more like they were done old school rare than vizzled. Camera may lie, but that's how I like tenderloin anyway.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I did think it looked a bit more done around the edges than I was expecting; is that why it looks traditionally cooked? What could account for that? I seared for no more than 30 seconds per side on a cast iron skillet, on an induction plate set to 240 C (which was as high as it goes).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Argue posted:

I did think it looked a bit more done around the edges than I was expecting; is that why it looks traditionally cooked? What could account for that? I seared for no more than 30 seconds per side on a cast iron skillet, on an induction plate set to 240 C (which was as high as it goes).

No, opposite, they looked less done in the centre, more red and rare. But you can tell by the fibres dividing that it isn't actually rare, so it's just the picture fooling me. The searing looks very well done as in skillfully executed.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm sure this has already been covered but has anyone used something like this to make sous vide egg bites?

I don't really like the idea of cleaning a bunch of jars but I don't know how I'd be able to fully seal this thing, either. It's designed for people to use their Instant Pot but gently caress that, I need my sous vide egg bites to be sous vide.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I wouldn’t trust anything without a strong zip seal, locking clips, or screw on lids.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’d probably give it a try if I put it in a ziploc that was filled with water for thermal conduction. The downsides are relatively minimal.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Glottis posted:

I'm sure this has already been covered but has anyone used something like this to make sous vide egg bites?

I don't really like the idea of cleaning a bunch of jars but I don't know how I'd be able to fully seal this thing, either. It's designed for people to use their Instant Pot but gently caress that, I need my sous vide egg bites to be sous vide.

Could you stuff the thing into a bag, vacuum or otherwise?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone seen or used a circulator like this?

It's Lidl's own brand thing but might be a rebadge of something people are familiar with, as I couldn't find many reviews of it. Claims 30-99 degrees, 99 hours timer, 1000w.

At about $75 it's the only one I can find locally for a reasonable price, everything else here is way more expensive to the point that I was waiting for a vacation to the US to buy an Anova or something there. So it's a bit of an unknown, but on the other hand, there's a 2 year warranty if it shits itself, unlike if I bring something over from the states.

They also have a whole 5l water oven which is on sale and a bit cheaper than the stick as a result. What would be the pros/cons vs the circulator? It's probably more efficient, but would take up more space.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I wish I’d gone with an oven, I’d probably use it more often.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is the stick a pain in the rear end to use or something? I was leaning towards it for space saving reason although I do cook a ton of chicken breasts for lunches so it might be worth it to always have it there for convenience. How are they in terms of performance thou, wouldn't the heating be less even without forced circulation?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Is the stick a pain in the rear end to use or something? I was leaning towards it for space saving reason although I do cook a ton of chicken breasts for lunches so it might be worth it to always have it there for convenience. How are they in terms of performance thou, wouldn't the heating be less even without forced circulation?

I just keep my stick in the container in water like 90% of the time, probably not the best for it but doesn't seem to really do anything to it so far.

If you have a good container for it it's super easy to use, also if you can store it 'put together' all the time, but it takes maybe a minute to fill with water attach and turn on.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I picked up some ribs but rain for the 10 day. Anyone done a McRibwich attempt SV?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I picked up some ribs but rain for the 10 day. Anyone done a McRibwich attempt SV?

You're going to let a little rain stop you from enjoying some delicious smoked ribs?!

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

any recs for tritip? treat it like a steak, or treat it like a roast?

also sous vide'd picanha for the first time. very nice.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

any recs for tritip? treat it like a steak, or treat it like a roast?
Like a steak. I've done them between 3 and 12 hours and it didn't seem to make too much of a difference.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone have a good recommendation for pork belly that can be eaten straight out of the bag, no searing before or after necessary? I've got a rec for the chefsteps recipe with szechuan peppercorns, ginger, scallions, chili flakes etc as as the aromatics, with the higher/shorter temp option, and then for the glaze add a bit of sugar to the bag juices to help it get sticky before reducing and then brushing. In my mind that'd turn out something like hong shao rou. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone seen or used a circulator like this?

It's Lidl's own brand thing but might be a rebadge of something people are familiar with, as I couldn't find many reviews of it. Claims 30-99 degrees, 99 hours timer, 1000w.
Well just ordered this one. The bath is loving enormous, at 42cm wide it's as big as my combination MW/convection oven and there's basically no space for that without removing the blender and rice cooker from the counter. If it does what it's supposed to for two years I think that would be perfectly good enough, and as another benefit there's no internet-of-poo poo required.