Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
when someone declines my card because of bank fees I just refuse to leave until they accept payment in bitcoin or call the cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

this is the states so tipping is still a thing in food businesses, which i have mixed feelings about because i know some people are lovely and stiff the staff which is terrible

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dongslayer. posted:

last night i dreamed about kid pix

e: the imaging software

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Shaggar posted:

gently caress inconvenient small businesses.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Soricidus posted:

when someone declines my card because of bank fees I just refuse to leave until they accept payment in bitcoin or call the cops

blows my mind why places won’t just remove the “American Express accepted here” sticker from the counter but feel compelled to tel me i cannot use it because of the fees

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
new update to things_apple_cant_handle.txt: black dot emojis

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

is the bug specific to the black dot emoji, or is it just the invisible unicode control character spam adjacent to it?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
does it matter? it’s still a bug that crashes your phone that tim’s lack of leadership enabled

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

please stop engaging stymie

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

does it matter? it’s still a bug that crashes your phone that tim’s lack of leadership enabled

yep. words matter.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

What is the good adblocker for ios? I generally just turn of javascript if I don't want to deal with a site's bullshit but obviously that only goes so far.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

What is the good adblocker for ios? I generally just turn of javascript if I don't want to deal with a site's bullshit but obviously that only goes so far.

1blocker x

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
1blocker x

because it’s the one blocker you need, eXtreme

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

you can use the firefox focus blocker in safari

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

anthonypants posted:

i heard from some coworkers the other day that they had discontinued the iphone x but i just assumed they read a blog post about how oled screens were difficult to produce which according to an analyst means apple can't make iphones x anymore. i didn't look into it though.

I think this might be true because Lenovo had a ThinkPad with an OLED screen and they completely dropped the option because like one manufacturer was making them and they said they didn't want to make them any longer. Sucks rear end

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

this is the good and correct option

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

this still lets some ads through, youtube ads for instance

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the liquor store down the block only takes debit but rather than getting a merchant account that is debit-only they taped over the EMV and magstripe slots on the pin pad so the cashier can force it to debit.

They also taped aluminum foil on the reader after I used Apple Pay on them.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
sir this is an apple thread

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The_Franz posted:

this still lets some ads through, youtube ads for instance

you're holding it wrong

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Wulfolme posted:

card processors will still charge like $0.30 for every transaction on top of the percentage cut. i think big chains get better deals on that but a local shop would lose money on every singleton item sold

handling cash money also costs money, which in denmark at least means taking cash is always a losing proposition

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Jimmy Carter posted:

They also taped aluminum foil on the reader after I used Apple Pay on them.

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cash only businesses are money laundering fronts so you gotta decide if their products/services are worth your participation in crime. For me theres a pizza place that's worth it, but that's it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

jony fix teh keyboard

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/may/14/apple-class-action-lawsuit-defective-macbook-pro-keyboards

or else

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Shaggar posted:

cash only businesses are money laundering fronts so you gotta decide if their products/services are worth your participation in crime. For me theres a pizza place that's worth it, but that's it.

I have a very good mechanic who gives me a cash discount. I don't care what he's doing with it.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Stymie posted:

i know it's easy to confuse ios and android, but this is an android problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC4NNUYIIdM

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

<:goatsecx:>👈 touch here

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

is it really impossible to set natural scrolling on touchpad/mouse independently ?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

is it really impossible to set natural scrolling on touchpad/mouse independently ?

unless you pay for an app, yes

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

seems so

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

as lol as this is, I'm kinda confused about the basis for relief

like did lovely netbook makers have a legally-enforceable obligation to affirmatively disclose "yeah, our keyboards are godawful and won't last longer than a couple of years"? and I don't think the price of a mbp makes any difference here - that just goes to damages, not the right to relief

BUT I don't really know anything about products liability. and maybe they could make something happen if they find out that apple intentionally misled them (ex. knew that keyboards would fail but told people "this computer will last 10 years, no sweat!")

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

cash only businesses aren't money launderers, they're tax evaders. bring in $2,000 a month, report $400 to the authorities

actual money launderers are happy to have as many credit card payments as possible, to balance out the dirty money that isn't coming from customers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boiled Water posted:

handling cash money also costs money, which in denmark at least means taking cash is always a losing proposition

handling cash is a fixed cost

paying employees to count out the registers and drop off at the bank costs the same whether you had 10 cash transactions or 10,000 cash transactions that day

after you have decided that you will have more than zero cash in your building, the marginal cost of another cash transaction is essentially 0

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

handling cash is a fixed cost

paying employees to count out the registers and drop off at the bank costs the same whether you had 10 cash transactions or 10,000 cash transactions that day

after you have decided that you will have more than zero cash in your building, the marginal cost of another cash transaction is essentially 0

not in denmark :v:

official estimates from the national bank no less says 25% of your cash income goes straight into, receiving, handling and depositing the cash

edit: wait maybe it was 20%, whichever it's more money than card transactions

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 14, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

since nothing has leaked does that mean there won't be anything interesting at wwdc?

[there will definitely be 20 minutes about how much more amazing organizing your photos of attractive people and the california coastline will be 6 months from now]

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boiled Water posted:

official estimates from the national bank no less says 25% of your cash income goes straight into, receiving, handling and depositing the cash

that might be an indicator of how few danes pay with cash

handling the cash is a very nearly fixed cost, so if you only had one cash transaction for the day, you still incur very close to the same costs as if you had ten thousand.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

how is that even possible? maybe if you take in very little cash the fixed cost to count and deposit it will come out to 20%, but if you take in $1000 in cash per day it does not cost $200 to count and deposit it.

edit: beaten

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

qirex posted:

since nothing has leaked does that mean there won't be anything interesting at wwdc?

[there will definitely be 20 minutes about how much more amazing organizing your photos of attractive people and the california coastline will be 6 months from now]

Customer sat.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that might be an indicator of how few danes pay with cash

handling the cash is a very nearly fixed cost, so if you only had one cash transaction for the day, you still incur very close to the same costs as if you had ten thousand.

THEY'RE TRYING TO MAKE A CASHLESS SOCIETY SO THAT YOU CAN'T BUY GOODS FROM NON-APPROVED RETAILERS ATTEMPTING TO SELL YOU GUNS AND DRUGS AND THE WATER IS TURNING THE FROGS GAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

THEY'RE TRYING TO MAKE A CASHLESS SOCIETY SO THAT YOU CAN'T BUY GOODS FROM NON-APPROVED RETAILERS ATTEMPTING TO SELL YOU GUNS AND DRUGS AND THE WATER IS TURNING THE FROGS GAY

there are economists who are deadly serious about a cashless society

fortunately the u.s. is too poverty-stricken and otherwise hosed-up to ever adopt such a thing so it will never affect me