Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

isk posted:

Xoti stuff Not forced to romance. It depends on whether you advise her to look to the spring after the harvest and help people (release the souls), or you inadvertently turn her into a serial killer (hold the souls). This isn't a euphemism; she gets loving dark if there's no release.

*edit - extra specificity

Xoti is basically a character from a King Diamond album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

isk posted:

Xoti stuff Not forced to romance. It depends on whether you advise her to look to the spring after the harvest and help people (release the souls), or you inadvertently turn her into a serial killer (hold the souls). This isn't a euphemism; she gets loving dark if there's no release.

:getin: I'm real excited for playthrough 2 knowing this. She's definitely one of my favorites, and a dark twist to her would be perfect for my 'mostly everything is awful' run

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Blockhouse posted:

Now I need to figure out where the hell you get shark meat.

I found some at the food vendor in Sayuka, I'm not 100% sure whether that's the only source or not but I'm pretty sure it's always there.

The real bugger is finding sugar and nuts to make candied nuts to bring to your meeting with Captain Aeldys (this isn't NECESSARY but I did it because the letter inviting you is funny as hell and it actually has a positive effect if you do), because they aren't guaranteed anywhere so I had to try three different towns separated by a week's sailing to get lucky enough to put together a sufficient supply.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 14, 2018

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve mentioned it before but this game seriously gives me “Sacrifice” vibes. Anyone remember that game?
Charnel death isn't always the answer.
Yes.......torture has its merits too.

I in fact do remember that game. One of the biggest pain in the rear end final missions I've ever beaten. Still had loads of fun with it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

isk posted:

DO you know if it's possible to go back and forth on her choices with the souls, or is it a one time thing?

Wondering if it would be possible to talk her dark, get the damage bonus on her lantern, then talk her happy again afterwards.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

DO you know if it's possible to go back and forth on her choices with the souls, or is it a one time thing?

Wondering if it would be possible to talk her dark, get the damage bonus on her lantern, then talk her happy again afterwards.

Nope. You can't go back on the choice.

You want that 10% damage boost you gotta go full serial killer

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
gently caress. I've just lost a few hours of play because of what seems like a pretty big bug?

If you complete Shadow under Neketaka but have already pissed off the Wahiki in the process of completing Aloth's quest, the next quest tells you to go tell the Queen you can't recruit them to her cause, but there's no dialogue option with her.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

isk posted:

I went that route but somehow she seems super dark anyway now, for some reason.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Been waiting days for aloth to finish reading his notes, and I don't have a dialogue option to bug him about it either :thumbsup: is there a specific trigger to get him going about his bullshit or am I in bugland?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Meteor Shower is worth the wait :stare:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

albany academy posted:

Been waiting days for aloth to finish reading his notes, and I don't have a dialogue option to bug him about it either :thumbsup: is there a specific trigger to get him going about his bullshit or am I in bugland?

Aloth just seems permapissed at me for no explicable reason except perhaps that I like jokes. I'm assuming that with negative rep his quest never progresses?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dan Didio posted:

gently caress. I've just lost a few hours of play because of what seems like a pretty big bug?

If you complete Shadow under Neketaka but have already pissed off the Wahiki in the process of completing Aloth's quest, the next quest tells you to go tell the Queen you can't recruit them to her cause, but there's no dialogue option with her.

I actually don't think there's a way to fix this, lol. Goddamn.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Aloth just seems permapissed at me for no explicable reason except perhaps that I like jokes. I'm assuming that with negative rep his quest never progresses?

Aloth has a really draconian measure of what constitutes "irresponsibility," which is one of his turnoffs. Basically everything has to be deadly serious and you need to treat everyone with respect or you tweak him.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Also gently caress are the Huana dumb as gently caress. Why wouldn’t you side with the Royal Deadfire Company? Like gently caress, it’s like the other options are shithead pirates, the Vailian idiots who are strip mining the poo poo people reincarnate through, and the caste system assholes who will drown you if you try to save the village with farming but you’re not of the farming caste. It’s ahistorical as gently caress that Rautai’s imperalism would be so soft but gently caress, it’s way better than the alternatives.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FunkMonkey posted:

Aloth has a really draconian measure of what constitutes "irresponsibility," which is one of his turnoffs. Basically everything has to be deadly serious and you need to treat everyone with respect or you tweak him.

Yeah, especially if you have Takehu in the party. Literally everything either of them does pisses off the other one.

SunAndSpring posted:

Also gently caress are the Huana dumb as gently caress. Why wouldn’t you side with the Royal Deadfire Company? Like gently caress, it’s like the other options are shithead pirates, the Vailian idiots who are strip mining the poo poo people reincarnate through, and the caste system assholes who will drown you if you try to save the village with farming but you’re not of the farming caste. It’s ahistorical as gently caress that Rautai’s imperalism would be so soft but gently caress, it’s way better than the alternatives.

The Rautai's imperialism isn't actually soft :shh: They're also strip mining Adra and have been building up massive military fortifications.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

albany academy posted:

I think the next step in that quest triggered for me after I finished a critical path mission (Hasongo maybe?) so try that if you haven't?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kinda agree. I preferred the Endurance/Health system, because I was not mentally ill enough to rest after every fight. Trying to stretch my resources was fun :sigh:

The thing with this new system is that they've gone from "because of Endurance and per-rest abilities, you should, optimally, rest after every fight and to prevent this we have added a really clunky rest limit that players find a degenerate way around" to "we've removed both these things and also fatigue, so if you're not getting knocked out there's almost no reason to rest, ever".

Ironically, the fact that resting now requires food to remove injuries feels like a better replacement for camping supplies (the MY VERSIMILITUDE part of me wants to add food and drink spoilage to prevent stockpiling for the party and the crew but that is almost certainly going too far), and the fact that Vancian casting is mostly dead means it is no longer as optimal to rest after every fight but I guess some people would still do it just to maximize their margin for error and avoid risking permadeaths.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FunkMonkey posted:

I feel like the relationship meters need to

1) take better account of your relationship / quest status with the returning companions from the prior game, and

2) be on a much more graduated scale, like, by an order of magnitude.

Like, Eder and Aloth seem to have started out at 'neutral" rep even though I had them maxed in the prior game with positive quest results etc. for them both, and then I feel like I've seen their meters go from full to empty in the space of single conversations. I got the achievement for maxing out Eder's rep and now it's at zero again and I have no idea what I even did either time other than habitually select the "clever" option.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Firstborn posted:

E: Passionate TENDS TO BE YELLING ABOUT THINGS YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT YET!! and I have disliked almost every Passionate dialogue choice I've seen.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Ending stuff

I wish you could talk all the factions into working together, but alas. Ended up going to Ukaizo on my own, but that mostly turns the Deadfire into chaos at the end :(

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does anyone else see Warwick Davis's Leprechaun when looking at Orlans? Or am I just racist?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

1) take better account of your relationship / quest status with the returning companions from the prior game, and

Like, Eder and Aloth seem to have started out at 'neutral" rep even though I had them maxed in the prior game with positive quest results etc. for them both, and then I feel like I've seen their meters go from full to empty in the space of single conversations. I got the achievement for maxing out Eder's rep and now it's at zero again and I have no idea what I even did either time other than habitually select the "clever" option.

Yeah the thresholds for relationships and reps are insanely low. You could multiply both by 10 and it seems like it would work as intended, as it is you get every rep and max out/bottom out reputations like you change a hat.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Eder likes it when do Good Things. The means don't matter - you can butcher the innocent people taking seats on a passenger ship so long as it frees up the room needed to get a refugee and all of her children on a boat out of the Deadfire and he'll be chuffed at you for helping a poor woman in need.

The relationship system is very "ends over means" in this game, which makes it a little tough to parse at times.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 14, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FunkMonkey posted:

Yeah, my feeling is that right now the game is pretty blunt, socially. Almost everything is a reputation move, reputations are trivially established, companions react super strongly and quickly to the PC and other companions. I’m not sure it combines well with a shorter main story; feels like everything is Very Very without a chance to try things and change your mind.

Also just a lot of bugs in a lot of systems, but that’ll be my excuse for a reroll tomorrow or in June.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

SunAndSpring posted:

I have felt like a monster for thinking along exactly these lines, but holy poo poo yes. The Huana are kind of dumb. They're literally starving to death on a rocky wasteland where nothing grows full of murder fish and they're pissed off someone is trying to save them by farming, because that's not the Huana way. The Huana way is, apparently, to loving starve to death which then lets the Vailiens roll up and start mining because corpses can't claim ownership.

Maybe try, I don't know, trading natural resources you don't give a poo poo about for food. And bitch about how all these people are coming to your island. But at least you are alive to bitch about it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FunkMonkey posted:

Eder likes it when do Good Things. The means don't matter - you can butcher the innocent people taking seats on a passenger ship so long as it frees up the room needed to get a refugee and all of her children on a boat out of the Deadfire and he'll be chuffed at you for helping a poor woman in need.

The relationship system is very "ends over means" in this game, which makes it a little tough to parse at times.

Oh I know but I had to threaten that man's doggy to get him to back down so I wouldn't have to kill the doggy

I saved a doggy eder respect that

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

is it possible to get +4 Religion via inn bonuses and gear/consumables?

Mid Xoti quest spoilers:

I want to convince Xoti to put the souls in a pillar of eternity because I'm pretty sure that's where souls are supposed to go. It's easy to convince her to give them to a animancer but having her put them in a adra pillar has a Religion 5 check which makes me want to pick that option

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

User0015 posted:

I have felt like a monster for thinking along exactly these lines, but holy poo poo yes. The Huana are kind of dumb. They're literally starving to death on a rocky wasteland where nothing grows full of murder fish and they're pissed off someone is trying to save them by farming, because that's not the Huana way. The Huana way is, apparently, to loving starve to death which then lets the Vailiens roll up and start mining because corpses can't claim ownership.

Maybe try, I don't know, trading natural resources you don't give a poo poo about for food. And bitch about how all these people are coming to your island. But at least you are alive to bitch about it.

I admit to kinda wondering how the Huana survived up till now. I guess the valians pushed them out of more plentiful food areas where "let's burn the seed corn" was still a survival strategy.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

User0015 posted:

They're big on the belief that by sticking with your assigned role in life, no matter what, you'll reincarnate in a better station after you die. It comes up several times in situations where it's probably intended to provoke mixed feelings on your part.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Flavahbeast posted:

Mid Xoti quest spoilers:

I want to convince Xoti to put the souls in a pillar of eternity because I'm pretty sure that's where souls are supposed to go. It's easy to convince her to give them to a animancer but having her put them in a adra pillar has a Religion 5 check which makes me want to pick that option

There are some +religion items. A mask from the oathbreakers sanctum and some others I think.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

User0015 posted:

If you talk to upper caste Huana they'll admit that they don't like the Rautai because the Rautai abandoned the caste system.

So yeah, gently caress the Huana. The ruling caste is perfectly fine letting the lower castes starve if it means holding onto power.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Anyone know where to get some +Intimidation? The inn at Port Maje gets you +2 but I need 1 or 2 more points for talking down the giant Imp the dwarves worship

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I do think the issue is parallel to how Mass Effect means you either role play or pick responses that best suit your build/stats. I find it more fun to just pick whatever and see where I land. I have the qualifier stuff turned off and just figure if for example I’m shady, maybe someone saw me talking to Derio or just in the undercroft. Dispositions are how people see you and often times people don’t view you in the same light you view yourself.

While that's true, it seems odd that, for example, you pick two slightly dishonest options and now Eder thinks you're kind of an underhanded person, even if you've been upright and honest in every other interaction. Or you pick a couple of aggressive options and now that reputation can somehow follow you to the other end of the archipelago.

The issue I have isn't with the system existing at all, just with how sensitive it is, especially with two classes that rely on it mechanically. It just needs to be a slower build-up, maybe with some "big" decisions that realistically would follow you around (like if you murder a bunch of people as collateral damage in a decision at some point then yeah, that should be a major cruel/aggressive thing that people hear about, for example).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Zore posted:

The Rautai's imperialism isn't actually soft :shh: They're also strip mining Adra and have been building up massive military fortifications.

Are they strip-mining adra like the Vaillians? I thought they were mostly about food and some other stuff they have trouble getting at home, but they're absolutely on that resource-based colonial imperialism kick with a touch of racism to boot (Maia's dialogue trees are quite the eye-opener on that front).

My current PC is still leaning towards them because they at least pull a Rome and build a measure of infrastructure and order while they're subjugating poo poo (also because (setting lore spoiler) it feels increasingly obvious that they're ALSO refugees from the disaster that sank Ukaizo and broke everything in this part of the world in the first place (which I assume is the whole Ionni Brathr mess from WM2 so, yaknow, gently caress Ondra AGAIN) so it's reasonable to see them as the reform Huana culture desperately needs, thousands of years late?), but they are by no means the good guys on the political side of POE2.

There are no good guys here, really, it's just a matter of what you prioritise and what you can trade off. Cultural authenticity? Progress? Order? Freedom? Morality? I really like that the game asks these questions, but it makes for a lot of time spent sitting with open dialogue windows because I genuinely didn't know what my PC would do there (he's generally a diplomatic "can't we all get along" type and started out sympathetic to the issues the Huana face with the intrusions of outsiders, but after the fruit quest mentioned on this page, or the food quest in the Gullet, or the ending of Shadow Under Neketaka...talking to the queen after all that and after she blows up at you for letting the dragon go freeI kind of imagine him just snapping and screaming "HOLY poo poo you goddamn idiots I get that this is your culture at stake but if this is your culture maybe you DESERVE to lose it" and then storming out).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 14, 2018

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

SunAndSpring posted:

Keep playing. What the Ruatai say, and what the Ruatai do are different.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So is it confirmed as true/generally accepted that the speed of companion relationship meters is bugged, or is it intended to swing wildly like it does now?

Also yeah, it does feel weird to start at neutral with returning companions. Maybe with Pallegina depending on how her PoE1 quest ends, but certainly not Eder or Aloth. By now you'd think those two would have a pretty good idea of what they think of the Watcher, good or bad, even with five years apart.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

So is it confirmed as true/generally accepted that the speed of companion relationship meters is bugged, or is it intended to swing wildly like it does now?

Also yeah, it does feel weird to start at neutral with returning companions. Maybe with Pallegina depending on how her PoE1 quest ends, but certainly not Eder or Aloth. By now you'd think those two would have a pretty good idea of what they think of the Watcher, good or bad, even with five years apart.

I suspect it's C: not bugged but they grossly underestimated how sensitive it is and it needs adjustment.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

SunAndSpring posted:

That's a weird as gently caress view of the company that (according to the Hazanui in like your first conversation with her) has an end goal of starting massive slave-worker plantations wherever they can. Like I think the Vailians are definitely also rear end in a top hat colonialists but they're just displacing natives in Adra heavy areas and setting up lovely trade/labor deals, while the Rautai very much want to loot everything possible from the Huana natives including their people.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, the Rautai are clearly very interested in annexing Deadfire and assimilating it. By force if they have to (see the insanely built up forts they have scattered all over). And they're smart enough to be diplomatic on the surface.

The Vailians are basically just rich fucks who want the natural resources one way or another but don't really give a poo poo about who owns Deadfire as long as they can keep extracting it. Which puts them in conflict with the Rautai who want it all for themselves.

And the pirates are murderous idiots no one really wants to have to deal with because they provide a cover of plausible deniability for everything. They're also the closest thing the lower class Huana have to a good option since the criminals have stepped in to provide where the the Huana government fails (especially in Nehetaka)

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 14, 2018

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

Mid Xoti quest spoilers:

There's a potion that adds 2 to all skills. I don't know if it stacks with incense. Luminous Adra I think? I also didn't see a duration on it when I was experimenting.

derra fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, my feeling is that right now the game is pretty blunt, socially. Almost everything is a reputation move, reputations are trivially established, companions react super strongly and quickly to the PC and other companions. I’m not sure it combines well with a shorter main story; feels like everything is Very Very without a chance to try things and change your mind.

Also just a lot of bugs in a lot of systems, but that’ll be my excuse for a reroll tomorrow or in June.

I'm starting to suspect that the companion rep changes- especially the inter-companion rep changes- are really swingy by design. There are a finite number of opportunities for those to change, outside of bugged dialogue trees that let you repeat a greyed-out option for more rep infinitely, so if it took more gains/penalties to change opinions and you switched party members around a lot you could potentially end up with a full team that doesn't have any strong feelings one way or another. The inter-companion rep seems particularly bad about this, because as far as i can tell it only happens when a character speaks up themselves, which does not happen often (and even when it does it may not trigger any rep gain/loss, even when it arguably should), so when they do it needs to be a big change to make things actually happen.

There's a lot of stuff about how the game is built that makes these problems pretty apparent as well: players are likely to have Xoti in their party when they recruit Pallegina, are likely to talk to her immediately, she poo poo-talks the gods, Xoti gets pissed instantly... but she kinda needs to, because how many more chances are there for Xoti to hear that and trigger the rep malus? A ton of the companion rep changes I've seen are in Neketaka, and it's really easy to spend a few hours early on just questing around there, leading getting a lot of fast rep changes then almost nothing once you leave to do other stuff. It all feels really front-loaded.

Plus there are almost certainly bugs, either with not gaining/losing rep period or the changes not being reflected in the character sheet. I'm starting to suspect some characters may not even have opportunities to change rep towards each other period, but that can't be right (there have to be one or two obscure chances... right?).