Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm desperate for new BR games... to fail and the fad be over ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PUBG managed to sell 30 million copies looking like a horrible piece of crap, you can bet the major publishers are looking into tearing into that $$$ by investing in slightly more overhead than "nothing at all."

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

PUBG managed to sell 30 million copies looking like a horrible piece of crap, you can bet the major publishers are looking into tearing into that $$$ by investing in slightly more overhead than "nothing at all."

why do that when you can look into tearing into that $$$ by investing slightly less overhead than "nothing at all"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Cowcaster posted:

why do that when you can look into tearing into that $$$ by investing slightly less overhead than "nothing at all"

Fortnite but instead of building structures, 100 players get airdropped into a DOS prompt and have to code a battle royale game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exquisite tea posted:

Fortnite but instead of building structures, 100 players get airdropped into a DOS prompt and have to code a battle royale game.

RON HOWARD: Cliffy “B” did not get his chicken dinner.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm waiting for Peter Molyneux to announce his Battle Royale game

it's all hosted on one server and there can only be 100 players playing at any one time, no more. If you die you have to buy a new copy of the game and wait in line until its your turn to play again

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
But if you win you get an incredible, mysterious, secret, life-changing* reward.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Infinitum posted:

Hey guys are you ready to get loving MEME'd?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7eXH25_KC0

Terrible, terrible piece of advertising.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: Radical Heights just crashed and burned, it begins

Is that the lovely Cliffy B studio?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Terrible, terrible piece of advertising.

Is that the lovely Cliffy B studio?

yeah. the one-two punch of Lawbreakers and Radical Heights broke them it seems

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

yeah. the one-two punch of Lawbreakers and Radical Heights broke them it seems

Good riddance.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: Radical Heights just crashed and burned, it begins

Realtalk: why, what do you care? If you don't care for them just don't play them, it's not like there's some dearth of non-BR games coming or anything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mordja posted:

Realtalk: why, what do you care? If you don't care for them just don't play them, it's not like there's some dearth of non-BR games coming or anything.

Because money drives how publishers invest their money and where they invest it. If the games you like the most are primarily single-player driven experiences then you're already well acquainted with the mid-tier studio holocaust of the past decade and how every major multiplatform AAA release has homogenized into a few service-based MP shootman products. And no, the fact that good SP games still get released does not reverse the overall trend.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

If the rumors of Red Dead 2 having a Battle Royale mode in its online portion are true than Fortnite and PUBG can pack it up, no way they'd be able to contend with the leviathan that is Rockstar content

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Rockstar already put a BR mode into GTA:O and it didn't exactly stop fortnite's money presses.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

Because money drives how publishers invest their money and where they invest it. If the games you like the most are primarily single-player driven experiences then you're already well acquainted with the mid-tier studio holocaust of the past decade and how every major multiplatform AAA release has homogenized into a few service-based MP shootman products. And no, the fact that good SP games still get released does not reverse the overall trend.

Yeah I am one of the dumbasses that enjoys FPS single player campaigns and CoD not having one in favor of "an unspecified competitive multiplayer mode" is the worst

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

If the rumors of Red Dead 2 having a Battle Royale mode in its online portion are true than Fortnite and PUBG can pack it up, no way they'd be able to contend with the leviathan that is Rockstar content

fortnite is pulling in bigger than minecraft numbers buddy, i think you may be ascribing the leviathan label to the wrong property

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Basically this.

And the exact same consolidation has happened in film, too.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
battle royale games and mobas both need to die

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

eonwe posted:

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
Can we get a Bulletstorm sequel up in here as well?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I remember seeing the movie, Battle Royale, years ago and thinking that a video game in a style/setting like that would be incredible. I've yet to play any BR games and probably won't ever. I guess younger me was right about how popular it would be but also mistaken in my own interests. Now it's just the latest fad that will undoubtedly go the way of Overwatch clones, MOBAs, and all those brown shooters of days gone by.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

eonwe posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

eonwe posted:

BR was cool when the only game that was doing it was SOCOM, and an entire team had to share 1 closed-mic voice chat line.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I wish Splinter Cell Spies vs. Mercs would become the new big multiplayer fad

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

:same:

I played the demo for that on Pandora Tomorrow until the playerbase went completely dry.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

same

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’d be into a s.t.a.l.k.e.r. battle royale but i’d just rather have a new s.t.a.l.k.e.r. game for real

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

RON HOWARD: Cliffy “B” did not get his chicken dinner.

lol

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Cowcaster posted:

i’d be into a s.t.a.l.k.e.r. battle royale but i’d just rather have a new s.t.a.l.k.e.r. game for real

Yeah same, I'd hate to see that franchise ruined by having some half-baked PvP poo poo shoved in at the expense of having solid single player content.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's not exactly the same thing but TLoU Factions is the game that inherited the mantle from Spies v Mercs/SOCOM, and added in some Streets of Rage beat'emup chops as a bonus.

The best bet for that kind of thing going forward is if 2LoU comes out and successfully updates the paired-down 4v4 of Factions without loving up the formula with a bunch of bells and whistles and lootboxes and costumes and supermoves and skilltrees and ipad crossplay.

I doubt it'll happen since TLoU Factions was lightning in a bottle and I don't trust Naughty Dog to know WHAT they got right and WHY. But a goon can hope :ohdear:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want a real Star Wars RPG

like not one where you have to be a Jedi

Elder Scrolls but in a "what if but Star Wars" kind of way

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Steve2911 posted:

Hopefully Rage 2 will at least be better than the shitheap that is Borderlands though.

I like Borderlands a lot..... :blush:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey shut the gently caress up about bad battle royale games for a second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfsmbQS8Pvs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Hey shut the gently caress up about bad battle royale games for a second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfsmbQS8Pvs

GET.
HYPE.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005
:supaburn:

I'm gonna guess late next year or 2020, but I'd love to be wrong.

e: now the video has been removed? :iiam:

Ougher fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 14, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think that's fan made?

e: Holy gently caress that game was announced over half a decade ago.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's showing as unavailable here. What is it?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

END ME SCOOB posted:

Yeah already taken down, but you know it's on the internet now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnTU63Yshoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

END ME SCOOB posted:

It was a video saying cyberpunk 2077 release date would be announced at e3.

• Locked thread