Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'm attempting to bring back the hydroponics thread so come post. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856830

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm attempting to bring back the hydroponics thread so come post. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856830

...poachin' my posters, eh?

:mad:

Kidding. Have fun substrate free dorks

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

My peonies have officially started blooming!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Schmeichy posted:

My peonies have officially started blooming!

loving beautiful!

Out of curiosity, do your peonies attract ants? I have the weirdest phenomenon in which ants congregate on mine. Like, they don't hurt anything and they never stop it from growing or blooming but they are all over it. Just thought I'd ask another peony grower.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Literally A Person posted:

loving beautiful!

Out of curiosity, do your peonies attract ants? I have the weirdest phenomenon in which ants congregate on mine. Like, they don't hurt anything and they never stop it from growing or blooming but they are all over it. Just thought I'd ask another peony grower.

Actually ants help peonies! Peony buds produce a sugary nectar to attract ants, and the ants help stimulate the buds to open. Nature is weird.

My roses are opening faster that I'm noticing, these weren't here yesterday I swear

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Schmeichy posted:

Actually ants help peonies! Peony buds produce a sugary nectar to attract ants, and the ants help stimulate the buds to open. Nature is weird.

:aaaaa:

Thanks for the info garden goon!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

i'm a soil boy

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Literally A Person posted:

loving beautiful!

Yeah peonies can't open until ants break off the coating.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?
And that's why I rip out every peony bush I find. You can't grow peonies without finding giant black ants nestled in the layers of petals like poo wrapped in satin bedsheets.

If you cut the blooms to bring into the house, I find completely submerging them in a sinkful of water and then gently swishing the petals while they're underwater will dislodge most of the ants.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Are we sure that’s not an old wives tale?

I’ve got peonies and no ants and they bloom fine.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I just read the thread title and I don’t know what a lot of you people are talking about but I can assure you it will take a lot more than some water and sunlight to make me ascend from the dirt-filled dwellings of my mom’s basement.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

learnincurve posted:

I think the flowers will open just fine without ant intervention but every peony I've ever found was infested with ants. Peonies are like tier 1 ant food.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

learnincurve posted:

I was under the impression that the ants weren't necessary, just beneficial. After googling a bit, another theory is that peonies attract ants to protect them from other insects. The reason the ants love peonies is the nectar on the buds, but it looks like we don't know exactly why peonies do it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I would use that as an opportunity rather than a misfortune.

Step 1. Plant peony in area with existing ant problem

Step 2. bait the ground round them.

Step 3. Gloat over the corpses of your enemies.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've been wanting to check this thread out for a while. It's currently raining balls here so pictures will have to wait, but the spring gardening season here in Central FL is winding down, 5/6 of my beds are finishing up their harvests. OTOH, my volunteer tomatoes are going apeshit this year

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

I have never been sadder in my garden when I tested the soil and found it varied from alcaline to holy gently caress, alcaline!

And there my dreams of having an enormous peony bush evaporated :(

Lol, it's possible to treat acidic soil, butvit's my understanding that if it's alkaline you're boned, sorry. You can try elemental sulfur between growing seasons though, which will help a great deal temporarily

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Lol, it's possible to treat acidic soil, butvit's my understanding that if it's alkaline you're boned, sorry. You can try elemental sulfur between growing seasons though, which will help a great deal temporarily

Sort of. Pine needles are very acidic and partly why you generally don't see things growing under pine trees. A sufficient amount can acidify soil. Also fertilizers that are high in phosphor will also lower pH. Phosphoric acid is one of the best pH reducers out there. That being said, it's still a long rear end process.

Ironically, where I live most people's soil is pretty acidic so grass tends to get overrun by moss and strawberries. Which I argue is a better lawn anyway.

guri
Jun 14, 2001

Stretch Marx posted:

Sort of. Pine needles are very acidic and partly why you generally don't see things growing under pine trees. A sufficient amount can acidify soil.
I was reading about this a lot a few months back and it turns out it is a myth. There are a few articles about it but this one is good https://www.gardenmyths.com/pine-needles-acidify-soil/ The comments also offer some good discussion.

Basically what this says is that fresh pine needles still attached to the tree are kind of acidic but by the time they are ready to fall off the tree they are barely acidic. Then after a few days on the ground they lose their acidity completely.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

learnincurve posted:

I would use that as an opportunity rather than a misfortune.

Step 1. Plant peony in area with existing ant problem

Step 2. bait the ground round them.

Step 3. Gloat over the corpses of your enemies.
What would you use for bait, though? You run the risk poisoning cool non-ant bugs or maybe even small wildlife.f

If you're not pathetically scared of ants like me, just embrace that the gorgeous beauty of peonies goes hand-in-hand with some gross stuff and maybe don't plant them too close to your front door.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
Looks like this is the first year that I'll have apples on the Liberty apple tree I planted like six years ago.

Very excited.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

guri posted:

I was reading about this a lot a few months back and it turns out it is a myth. There are a few articles about it but this one is good https://www.gardenmyths.com/pine-needles-acidify-soil/ The comments also offer some good discussion.

Basically what this says is that fresh pine needles still attached to the tree are kind of acidic but by the time they are ready to fall off the tree they are barely acidic. Then after a few days on the ground they lose their acidity completely.

Good to know. Thanks for this.

So apparently the guy who sold me my katuk is no longer selling it on ebay and I can't find another source in Canada. I may be one of the few people here who has one. I'm going to need to post guard dogs and barbwire the tent.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
I've got a two or AB compost system going for it's fourth year and the compost I've been getting is great this year.

Plants did well last year and we've added 24 sq ft and reclaimed almost all of the neglected garden we inherited with the house. Booyah.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Thots and Prayers posted:

I've got a two or AB compost system going for it's fourth year and the compost I've been getting is great this year.

Plants did well last year and we've added 24 sq ft and reclaimed almost all of the neglected garden we inherited with the house. Booyah.

Summer of the garden goon!!!

guri
Jun 14, 2001

Stretch Marx posted:

So apparently the guy who sold me my katuk is no longer selling it on ebay and I can't find another source in Canada. I may be one of the few people here who has one. I'm going to need to post guard dogs and barbwire the tent.
It seems this grows in other Asian countries with similar climates to me (I am on Jeju Island, South Korea). I should do some research and see if it or something similar exists here with a different name. I've come across quite a few random things growing wild that aren't recognized at all or foraged by the locals; my favorite being New Zealand Spinach which you can find growing all up and down the coastline but no one seems to care.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
The school I work at built some raised beds/planter boxes and I became in charge of them by dint of saying that I occasionally helped my mother out in the garden. This first year is a little haphazard and I didn't start much from seed in our greenhouse, but I'm looking forward to next year. I'm in zone 5 (!) which means im going to have insane tomato yields, and we did put in some corn from seed that's already shot up a crazy amount. The only issue is gonna be keepin it hydrated because starting now til like september it will be 90 or better every single day, or there will be torrential thunderstorms. We're going to build trellises during summer camp and plant lots of beans and cukes as well. Exciting times ahead.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

human piss is the best organic fertilizer and i plan to use it in my garden this year. that's right tactical piss jugs

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

presidential jugz gonna set my garden on fire

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
People keep saying hello to my dogs as they walk up the street and it’s hosed up part of my poppy bed, so I’ve bought some new ones and nine bare root roses.

They will jump up on my beds again exactly once.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

People keep saying hello to my dogs as they walk up the street and it’s hosed up part of my poppy bed, so I’ve bought some new ones and nine bare root roses.

They will jump up on my beds again exactly once.

You got rid of your dogs over poppies? Man that's dedication for gardening! Summer of the garden goon indeed?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Am I too late to plant things in central Maryland?

I have a little railing behind my house that I'd like to put some planters on, but it sounds like I may have missed the boat. It doesn't get a whole lot of direct sun (2-4hrs a day I think) so I want to get something somewhat shade-friendly. What're good starter options for a total amateur?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my compost system:
- start with aged cow manure (locally available, some guy comes with a truck and dumps out a yard)
- mix this with some kelp and alfalfa meal and coco
- add a couple handfuls of this to each feeding of my worm bin
-- to feed worms, scraps are frozen and then blended, then i mix with some rock dust and oyster shell and the aforementioned compost and a little ground corn meal, then i let this sit for a day before adding to the bin, then add shredded cardboard on top
- after harvesting worm castings, move those to my second worm bin where they will age further
- when harvesting from second worm bin, sift castings and put the big bits back in the bin

when my leaf mould is done i'll work some of that in as well

the system takes a long time to get going but once you're in full swing it's easy and works very well. i love my wormy friends

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Not a Children posted:

I have a little railing behind my house that I'd like to put some planters on, but it sounds like I may have missed the boat. It doesn't get a whole lot of direct sun (2-4hrs a day I think) so I want to get something somewhat shade-friendly. What're good starter options for a total amateur?

I don't think timing is as important for shade plants. The issue with full-sun plants is that it just gets too goddamn hot for seedlings and transplants. And vegetables have to be started early so that they have enough time to produce.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Not a Children posted:

Any number of cool decorative plants will grow in low sun. So long as you're not trying to grow veg or fruit you can stick all kinds of stuff out there. Cool stuff includes hostas, decorative grasses, fuchsias, primrose and all kinds of crap!!!! Go to the nursery and look through their annuals, check the tags and when you find something that asks for shade that you like, buy it!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
PNW Goons, IT'S PLANTING TIME!!!

Time to plant those tasty summer fruits like tomatoes and peppers. I have my first batch of starts hitting the ground today and will update with pictures when I'm done. Got twelve tomato starts going in today, four peppers, and three celery all from seed. Seeds that are getting direct sown today? Corn, cilantro, basil, parsley and a couple other herbs.

Putting out my other group of starts to harden off so I will have a bunch of plants offset in time by a week giving me a little wider harvest season for each type of plant.

My garden has gone through some changes recently and I'm excited to show you guys how things are going!

Good luck today guys!!!

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
OK so a few photos.

I am in "late spring" which in FL means it is about to torrentially downpour for ~30 mins a day, and temps are reaching that special range where everything will die of heat soonish if they can't adapt.

I have a compost pile as well, and as of the last two years or so, I have been crazy amounts of volunteers.

This is a Reisetomate, which looks gnarly (it's supposed to split itself like that) and supposedly tastes very tart and sour, which I like. First year growing them so I'm stoked.

This is my last "active" bed, which are my 3 varieties of tomatoes: Everglades Cherry Tomato (more on that in the future), the aforementioned Reisetomate, and a couple mixed traditional heirlooms like mortgage lifter and I think also a Floridade?

Pictured: A spindly Papaya plant on the right and a few other plants here, all of which I decided to dump a shovelful of compost on which apparently had quite a few dormant seeds left.

Papaya here and tomato vine on left

Volunteer lettuce on bottom, tomato in middle, papaya shoots next to the established papaya plant trunk in pic

This guy didn't make it from the start before anything sprouted and died of transplant shock however there are tons of lettuce and tomato vines growing instead?

compost bin in back, that plant is massive now and is growing beefsteaks out of it, all randomly sprung up

more tomatoes from composting

It's cool because you can tell the compost bin plant is receiving very high nitrogen amounts due to its massive leaves and stem as well as the very dark green color, which supposedly inhibits budding/flowering, but at this point it has tons of flowers and appears to be setting fruit so???

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

A good thread OP

/!\ Bad phone camera warning /!\

Gonna just post up my porch here. It's all cement and gets full sun between 10AM and 7PM, so I felt bad not taking advantage of that.

You can see my hibiscus going berzerk in the back of the first picture:

SUCC TABLE #1 and my bluebonnets, with the four mints below

SUCC TABLE #2, also featuring my chives on stilts, and below my sweet potato vines

Cherry tomato planter "A", this one has chocolate and corno di toro peppers. Chard and Collard greens in the big drum top right, but you can see my oregano planted in the center of the "well" with the peppers, and some lemongrass behind it, all enjoying the shade of the tall tomates. On the right is more herbage, including a small bay laurel, and my parsley experiment:

Planters "B" and "C"; these all have tomatoes and companion peppers and herbs in them. The one on the left here hosts a smash of basil, too, the one on the right is YUGE and producing chocolate cherries already, and gives some shade to the little sunflower things I forget their name.

You can see that I like to companion plant heavily, but I keep flowers to attract pollenators as well. Lotsa Marigolds and this big brace of French Lavender that is going nuts in the center, Mexican Heather up top. This bed is currently incubating some beet, carrot, parsley, basil, oregano sprouts, which will be transferred to the other planters soon:

Olé I say, olé to flowers with my Hibiscus:

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
some of those same plants today I guess:

the compost bin tomato:

the compost bin...potato but idk if I'm gonna eat that one lol

this one is interesting because that vine on the bottom is Armenian Yardlong Cucumber (actually a melon, but still)

Something has been munching on it so I am going to take some pest control measures, which I will follow up with later itt.

again, all of these tomatoes and other plants except that specific bed I posted are all volunteers. A good omen, I decree

Now, the fun stuff. As gardenerds we all encourage each other to maintain responsible and healthy growing practices. I try to avoid things like synthetic pesticides, fertilizers, etc unless it can be helped. In general, one way to be successful at gardening is let mother nature do the work. Choose to plant things that naturally succeed in your environment. Weeds grow in your garden better than your veggies do because the weeds were selected for survival, not their fruit size/shape taste, not their color, not any of that bullshit.

Here is a cool little doc on the origin of corn/maize because I am a biology teacher and this kind of poo poo is cool to me.
https://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/popped-secret-the-mysterious-origin-of-corn

Anyways, all that said, here is my favorite experiment trying a natural crop: The Everglades Cherry Tomato

It is a virulent producer of tiny, approximately dime-sized fruits that are intensely flavorful. It has an extremely rapid production rate and is extremely tolerant of Florida's scorching summer heat. It has been described as growing so well in very sandy and poor soils (like most of Florida's) that it "Doesn't care about anything but heat and light"

I got my first ripe ones a week or two ago and man this is a fun plant to play with.

about 10 seconds of picking tomatoes

the ol' reisetomate buddies

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Definitely looking into those Everglades cherry tomatoes now.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Waffle House posted:

Definitely looking into those Everglades cherry tomatoes now.

here friend, this is by far the most reputable/highest germination rate I found

http://evergladestomato.com

very reasonable prices from some apparently crazy dude who harvests the poo poo out of them in Holiday near Miami or whatever

e: I've never had a bad experience and I've ordered like 6-7 times at this point, speedy and decent quality. Not shilling or whatever, I don't know the dude but for very specialized strains like these I figure local vendors don't hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the Everglades Cherries are cool, the fruits grow in highly specific fruiting branches

also lol, on closer inspection of the fruits this plant is giving, I believe it's a plum tomato plant :hellyeah:

T.S. Smelliot fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 15, 2018

• Locked thread