Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

What we need is someone, some visionary director, to make a movie specifically deflating this idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sure, okay, but there's still gonna be tits in it right

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sir Kodiak posted:

What we need is someone, some visionary director, to make a movie specifically deflating this idea.

As long as they sue the production company after, it'll all be worth it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Sure, okay, but there's still gonna be tits in it right

Possibly, though maybe focus on some tasteful upskirt shots instead.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Kodiak posted:

You'd have to be a sucker to think you could punch through all the bullshit and make an effective movie like that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve been hearing it isn’t very good, but that was only from one thread from a couple people. Anyone see it yet? It looks pretty and colorful.
Most of the reviews on Rottentomatoes for it are pretty glowing.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/revenge_2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bohemian Rhapsody trailer drops tomorrow.

That's the Queen biopic that Singer got fired from because he never showed back up to work after Thanksgiving.

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
David Lynch has lost it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpyhlqfZkSs

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sir Kodiak posted:

This trend where seeing movies about scantily-clad models killing people is feminist is pretty convenient.

Gotta balance that male gaze with the moments where men are clutching their balls. Edit: I was referring to the audience, but who knows, it might feature scenes like that!

The Guardian recently had an article about rape-revenge fantasies in movie form, inspired by Revenge: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/11/how-the-rape-revenge-movie-became-a-feminist-weapon-for-the-metoo-generation

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 14, 2018

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
BlacKkKlansman trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFc6I0rgmgY

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mierenneuker posted:

Gotta balance that male gaze with the moments where men are clutching their balls. Edit: I was referring to the audience, but who knows, it might feature scenes like that!

The Guardian recently had an article about rape-revenge fantasies in movie form, inspired by Revenge: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/11/how-the-rape-revenge-movie-became-a-feminist-weapon-for-the-metoo-generation

Rape revenge fantasy is primarily created for an audience of men.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

I'm a sucker for Spike Lee, so I was gonna check it out anyway, but I'm getting Soderbergh/Shane Black vibes from the trailer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gently caress yes

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

drat, this looks great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Very down for that insanity.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Spike Lee with a script by Jordan Peele: awesome
Topher Grace as David Duke: hilarious
"America First" chant: perfect

gimme this movie

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Adam Driver has been acting in film for well under a decade and already has credits in movies directed by Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, the Coen Brothers, Spike Lee, Steven Soderbergh, Terry Gilliam, Jim Jarmusch, Clint Eastwood, Jeff Nichols, Noah Baumbach and Shawn Levy, god drat

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adam Driver will you be my best friend.

Also, that Queen movie is not going to be good I feel - they kicked off Sacha Baron Cohen because was wanting to explore the darker side of Freddie Mercury and instead went with a fun and happy angels view of things. At least those are the rumours. We'll see how it turns out.

quote:

Sacha Baron Cohen has revealed he walked away from a high-profile role as Freddie Mercury because the surviving members of Queen wanted a substantial part of the film to focus on them.

Speaking to the US radio host Howard Stern, Baron Cohen said he hoped to present a “warts ‘n’ all” view of the legendary singer’s hedonistic lifestyle, but Mercury’s former bandmates were more concerned with protecting their legacy.

The comedian and actor said: “A member of the band – I won’t say who – said: ‘You know, this is such a great movie because it’s got such an amazing thing that happens in the middle.’”

“And I go: ‘What happens in the middle of the movie?’ He goes: ‘You know, Freddie dies.’ ... I go: ‘What happens in the second half of the movie?’ He goes: ‘We see how the band carries on from strength to strength.’

“I said: ‘Listen, not one person is going to see a movie where the lead character dies from Aids and then you see how the band carries on.’

“There are amazing stories about Freddie Mercury. The guy was wild. There are stories of little people walking around parties with plates of cocaine on their heads!”

But according to Baron Cohen, who is in the US to promote his new film, Grimsby, Queen’s surviving members did not want those stories told: “They wanted to protect their legacy as a band.”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Probably because he's great

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Vintersorg posted:

Also, that Queen movie is not going to be good I feel - they kicked off Sacha Baron Cohen because was wanting to explore the darker side of Freddie Mercury and instead went with a fun and happy angels view of things. At least those are the rumours. We'll see how it turns out.

that's the just beginning though. they then hired Bryan Singer who "mysteriously vanished" to help his mom inexplicably right around the time all the #MeToo accusations started happening so they fired him and then hired another guy, and then they pushed the release date up a month.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vintersorg posted:

At the time, Brian May--who has ordained himself the keeper of Mercury's legacy--wanted Mercury to die halfway through the movie and for the rest of it to focus on how the band has survived since his death. Cohen said that was bullshit and walked away.

Reportedly, the movie now ends with the band taking the stage at Live Aid.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's even worse. :/

It'd be nice if it ended with him singing his last song ever. Even with death approaching his voice was super strong here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJFYtyEIJ60

quote:

Upon reaching the final verse, Freddie told May that he had to go and "have a rest", but that he would return later and finish it. After that, Freddie never made it back to the studio, and May sang the last verse on the track.

He died 6 months later.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's honestly a joke to pretend Queen was still Queen after Freddie. Come on.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Holy shiiiiit thanks for sharing

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Are they still touring with Adam fuckin' Lambert?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sir Kodiak posted:

This trend where seeing movies about scantily-clad models killing people is feminist is pretty convenient.

I feel like there's something a little different about Revenge but I can't put my finger on it just yet. The fact that it's directed by a woman is certainly points in its favor here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

morestuff posted:

Adam Driver has been acting in film for well under a decade and already has credits in movies directed by Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, the Coen Brothers, Spike Lee, Steven Soderbergh, Terry Gilliam, Jim Jarmusch, Clint Eastwood, Jeff Nichols, Noah Baumbach and Shawn Levy, god drat

he good

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm reminded about how they did a documentary about Genesis and sometime-guitarist Steve Hackett was pissed that he didn't get editorial control and that it didn't include all the times he extensively talked about his solo work.

Nobody cares, Steve.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

that's the just beginning though. they then hired Bryan Singer who "mysteriously vanished" to help his mom inexplicably right around the time all the #MeToo accusations started happening so they fired him and then hired another guy, and then they pushed the release date up a month.

Movie's bein sent out to die

morestuff posted:

He's incredibly distinct looking, dramatically flexible, and has a badass voice. He also comes off as whip-smart.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Bohemian Rhapsody trailer drops tomorrow.

That's the Queen biopic that Singer got fired from because he never showed back up to work after Thanksgiving.

That's been in production for so long. I remember reading articles in the NME and Classic Rock about how filming would start "next year" when I was in university which was about 6-7 years ago now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

oh hey

https://edit.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cannes-lars-von-triers-disgusting-torturous-film-sparks-walkouts-1111633

quote:

Cannes: Lars Von Trier's "Disgusting," "Torturous" Film Sparks Walkouts

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Who the gently caress that goes to Cannes wouldn't know what to expect from one of his movies by now?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

quote:

Despite walkouts and groans during a few more brutal scenes, the film received a six-minute long standing ovation in the theater.

It's Cannes. They love to boo, walkout, and cheer at anything.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

It's Cannes. They love to boo, walkout, and cheer at anything.

They booed Tree of Life, a film so earnest it resolved Malick's midlife crisis!

Safe to say booing at Cannes is almost a compliment.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is just me or does Matt Dillon look like he's turning into Billy Crudup in this movie?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cannes thinks it has the most important film festival but it's actually Venice now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

It is just me or does Matt Dillon look like he's turning into Billy Crudup in this movie?

Thank God I wasn't the only one.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

kiimo posted:

Cannes thinks it has the most important film festival but it's actually Venice now.
How so?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Studios are targeting that festival more based on timing mostly. This year Cannes is relatively quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Venice has been eating Toronto's lunch for world premieres for the last few years as well.