Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

GigaPeon posted:

You can tell the really meant for this to run in syndication as about 5 minutes of each episode are Ron narrating clips of previous episodes.

Also they changed all the "Unlicensed Screen Stealer Pro" watermarks to "Property of Fox". Lame.

Didn't the show stealer pro joke completely go over a lot of people's heads originally? To where they didn't realize it was a joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Ohtsam posted:

Didn't the show stealer pro joke completely go over a lot of people's heads originally? To where they didn't realize it was a joke?

Yeah it did. I remember seeing a lot of confused comments online from people who didn't get the joke. Some even thought the watermark was seriously from pirated software.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

clown shoes posted:

Yeah it did. I remember seeing a lot of confused comments online from people who didn't get the joke. Some even thought the watermark was seriously from pirated software.

Yeah that was definitely the most confusing thing about season 4.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

Has any superfan made an attempt to put years to the different parts of S4? Technically it spans from 06 (Queen Mary) to 13 (Lucille 2 murder),

Don't they say in the show that it's only five years in between the Queen Mary and the Cinco night events?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Season 5 is supposed to have more scenes of George and Lucille when they were young, which sucks because the stuff with Wiig and Rogan were really stupid.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hahaha holy poo poo Lucille’s prison number I totally forgot

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Season 5 is supposed to have more scenes of George and Lucille when they were young, which sucks because the stuff with Wiig and Rogan were really stupid.

I didn't mind Wiig too much, she tried to channel Lucilles mannerisms; I don't know what the hell Rogan was trying to do.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People keep saying there’ll be more flashbacks but I’ve never actually seen an official report/article about it

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So Sally Sitwell has alopecia, but what's her other secret?

(Also, I really want to hear more about the Lucille's pet Ostrich when she was a kid.)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

those scenes would've been fine if they weren't where most of the most awkward / least funny callbacks to previous jokes were

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
We arrested development wiki has the timeline and a bunch of issues with it. It seems that when they were as a tossup between a joke and the timeline they went with a joke (like the Pete funeral procession being years off.)
Not a bad way to weigh a comedy show.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

those scenes would've been fine if they weren't where most of the most awkward / least funny callbacks to previous jokes were

The best one, by far, was the one with young Barry and his dad. TAKE TO THE SEA!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nichael posted:

The best one, by far, was the one with young Barry and his dad. TAKE TO THE SEA!

actually that's the exact one i was thinking of because seeing barry tell them that a husband and wife can't get arrested for the same crime isn't even a callback joke, it's just showing the boring setup to 'i have the worst loving attorneys'

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What the gently caress, I was liking this re-edit much more than the original until they axed the loving incredible scene of Gob realizing he roofied Tony Wonder, which was seriously the best joke of the entire series
Jesus loving Christ how could they gently caress this up so bad

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like Gob staring in the mirror, toothbrush in mouth, for like four full seconds was the payoff of his entire arc

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

What the gently caress, I was liking this re-edit much more than the original until they axed the loving incredible scene of Gob realizing he roofied Tony Wonder, which was seriously the best joke of the entire series
Jesus loving Christ how could they gently caress this up so bad

ironically i have zero memory of that being a scene in the original

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Context is that he's checking his voicemails and Tony Wonder left him a message asking him if he was ready for their sex date tonight
No, Sound of Silence wasn't being played non-diegetically

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oh poo poo, yeah now i remember that one

weird thing to cut

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Calaveron posted:

These guys are pros so I don't doubt they had a big corkboard with miles of yarn trying to figure it out and realized there was no way for them to recut the season successfully without revealing fakeblock earlier

Honestly the ambition and scale of season fours writing astounds me, especially because it was likely born out of the difficulty of getting the cast back together. It was different and jarring, but ultimately proved to be a great example of how a 'available all at once' streaming model could work in a world where Netflix was just starting to feel it's way into a juggernaut of original programming.

The fact that they've managed to re-edit it back together chronologically and still have it work as a serialised show is a great credit to it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just spotted Scott Clam of Check it Out fame as one of the Sudden Valley residents.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

Just spotted Scott Clam of Check it Out fame as one of the Sudden Valley residents.

Haha, I can't believe I missed that. Need to watch that again now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Small White Dragon posted:

So Sally Sitwell has alopecia, but what's her other secret?

(Also, I really want to hear more about the Lucille's pet Ostrich when she was a kid.)
She murdered Lucille 2

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lucille 2 was courting danger by even standing next to stairs.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Did they ever reveal what the “horrible thing” Michael did before going back to the model home after Cinco is? The insinuation in the show is that he either slept with Lucille 2 or killed Lucille 2 (or both?). But the fact that it is never stated makes it seem like classic AD misdirection.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did they ever reveal what the “horrible thing” Michael did before going back to the model home after Cinco is? The insinuation in the show is that he either slept with Lucille 2 or killed Lucille 2 (or both?). But the fact that it is never stated makes it seem like classic AD misdirection.

I always feel like it was definitely him trying to sleep with Lucille 2.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Isn't this referring to him and Rebel? This happens after Michael finds out about Rebel and George Michael but before George Michael punches Michael.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I thought the original edit insinuated that was Michael in the thing costume at the end

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, that's what I remember the takeaway being back in 2013.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

S4.0 had the musical playing over the credits because "they worked so hard on it" and you could tell in that bit that it was Michael. I don't think they used that gag in 4.1 unless netflix autoskipped it on me

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
It took me almost 2 weeks to realize that the Family of the Year plot is a play on Trumpy's feud with Time over being Person of the Year.

I was going to comment that 5 years was too long for a show parodying American politics to go between seasons in the Twitter era, but holy poo poo, that whole saga was only 6 months ago. It feels like it happened years ago.

We're all dead from heart attacks or strokes before we turn 50.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

whatever happens in season 5 of arrested development will be actual real world political plotlines in 2023 so get ready for that

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season’s gonna be in two parts, 8 eps on the 29th and 8 later: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/05/16/arrested-development-season-5-is-being-split-into-two-parts

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Zelder posted:

whatever happens in season 5 of arrested development will be actual real world political plotlines in 2023 so get ready for that

Mitch Hurwitz is a prophet.

I'm kind of glad. More to look forward to.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THCVReSmm90
Portia's only in five episodes apparently, which sucks.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Nichael posted:

So Lindsay is 100% going to Washington

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ingmar terdman posted:

So Lindsay is 100% going to Washington

I hope she's in future productions of the show even if she's quit acting.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
In the new version Lucile quotes the Get Away song to Buster saying it feels like it was written for her own son before the Mark Cherry plot is introduced.

Was it like that in the original? Is it better this way?

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Nichael posted:

We’ve lost a great chicken dance.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

GigaPeon posted:

In the new version Lucile quotes the Get Away song to Buster saying it feels like it was written for her own son before the Mark Cherry plot is introduced.

Was it like that in the original? Is it better this way?

i think mark cherry had been introduced by that point but not the song itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hadn't watched S4 since it first came out (and I thought it mostly sucked, bad) and couldn't remember anything that happened in it, so in preparation for S5 (please be better) I went through the whole show again, only I'm watching the S4 Remix and it's.. still pretty painful. Ron Howard is narrating constantly now, there are minutes long recaps of things that happened in the same episode or the prior episode. I'm about halfway through and it's starting to feel like a chore. Not as bad as a 45 minute episode about Lindsey in India or whatever but still.

I've only laughed twice so far and they were both "Sound of Silence" jokes, one where Gob is hiding from Michael in the fake rock and the song is muffled, and when Gob and Tobias both have the song playing but Gob's started first so the songs are playing out of sync at the same time.

Also young Lucille and George stunk. I hope they've axed that.

• Locked thread