Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cash-less societies own and im glad i only need to cross a sea to live in the one that is as close as itll get any time soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

qirex posted:

since nothing has leaked does that mean there won't be anything interesting at wwdc?

[there will definitely be 20 minutes about how much more amazing organizing your photos of attractive people and the california coastline will be 6 months from now]

no leaks mostly just means no exciting hardware announcements. the software side of things is still pretty good at keeping secrets.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cause the software is always embarrassing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

no leaks mostly just means no exciting hardware announcements. the software side of things is still pretty good at keeping secrets.

does that mean you like the hour they spend every keynote talking about how pages is Really Good Now We Swear?

there will also be new facemojis and they'll walk back ios invisible buttons slightly more

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

apple clerk refused to replace battery on dying iphone 6 since the water tab was red from god knows when my gf got her phone a little wet

so now i just gotta do it myself, cool.

tyfr

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i like paying cash and haggling prices

imported goods of dubious provenance can be a really good deal, too

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

canada is mostly debit everywhere and just tapping the debit card is getting out there more and more

its rare to get cash

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the only reason i currently have a $20 in my wallet is because some idiot gave me it for their lunch instead of Apple Paying me

it's the first time in five years i've had cash on my person

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the only reason i currently have a $20 in my wallet is because some idiot gave me it for their lunch instead of Apple Paying me

it's the first time in five years i've had cash on my person

:same: i currently have 2 eur on me because a supermarket overcharged me on olive oil and paid back in cash right there at the checkout

the previous time was last year when idiot coworker did ignore my e-mail with bank credentials and return the taxi money we split night earlier in cash

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cash rules still don't nothing move but the money

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

qirex posted:

since nothing has leaked does that mean there won't be anything interesting at wwdc?

[there will definitely be 20 minutes about how much more amazing organizing your photos of attractive people and the california coastline will be 6 months from now]

it looks bad

a new x-design for the iphone se or the ipad pro should have leaked by now

the mac pro stuff wont come until 2019

and thanks to marco whining on twitter the new os versions are expected to focus on stability and have few new features

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cash is used rarely enough in large chunks of the economy that it doesn't even offer any payment anonymity between "person X withdrew these serial numbers" and "person/business Y deposited them".

Unless we're talking $1-5 bills at restaurants but who cares about piddly amounts like that?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

James Baud posted:

Cash is used rarely enough in large chunks of the economy that it doesn't even offer any payment anonymity between "person X withdrew these serial numbers" and "person/business Y deposited them".

Unless we're talking $1-5 bills at restaurants but who cares about piddly amounts like that?

in the united states, poor people perform nearly all of their purchases in cash. and many, many americans are poor.

7% of households -- 15 million adults -- have no bank account whatsoever. another 20% of households, containing ~50 million adults, almost half the loving workforce, have bank accounts but are also forced to use non-traditional financial istitutions. these are the "underbanked"

in short, 27% of households and very nearly half of the american workforce depend on cash, every single day. buying groceries, paying rent, holding down a car note

edit: source https://www.fdic.gov/householdsurvey/2015/2015report.pdf

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

qirex posted:

does that mean you like the hour they spend every keynote talking about how pages is Really Good Now We Swear?

there will also be new facemojis and they'll walk back ios invisible buttons slightly more

also they're going to completely redesign music.app again because it just wouldn't be a new ios version without that

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

wasnt the big deal this year supposed to be minimal/no new features and just a shitload of iterative improvements/bug fixes?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

creationist believer posted:

i know it's easy to confuse ios and android, but this is an android problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC4NNUYIIdM

lol it definitely is an android problem now that ios and android are indistinguishable

steve would have personally murdered any engineer that allowed this kind of bug into ios

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

lol it definitely is an android problem now that ios and android are indistinguishable

:thunk:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i am fine with stability improvements and wish more oses would chill out instead of cramming more goddamn lovely poo poo in

each big windows update puts a new loving thing in my taskbar

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

actual improvements in ios I'd like:
more battery
keep the police out of my poo poo [the nsa is already in all our collective shits so no point worrying about them]
less steps to pair & unpair bluetooth I guess
make the lock screen/notifications better

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

i am fine with stability improvements and wish more oses would chill out instead of cramming more goddamn lovely poo poo in

each big windows update puts a new loving thing in my taskbar

the start menu on a newly installed copy of win10 is an atrocity

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
til: apple does not under any circumstances repair ipads, pro or otherwise. if it's under applecare they'll replace it, if not, lol gently caress you buy another one. no matter what the problem is, there are no repairs.

gg apple.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they aren't real computers so i don't know what you expected

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in the united states, poor people perform nearly all of their purchases in cash. and many, many americans are poor.

7% of households -- 15 million adults -- have no bank account whatsoever. another 20% of households, containing ~50 million adults, almost half the loving workforce, have bank accounts but are also forced to use non-traditional financial istitutions. these are the "underbanked"

in short, 27% of households and very nearly half of the american workforce depend on cash, every single day. buying groceries, paying rent, holding down a car note

edit: source https://www.fdic.gov/householdsurvey/2015/2015report.pdf

you ain't wrong, but thats still piddly amounts of money because americans (most of them anyway) are poor as gently caress

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
AND GIVE ME THE SE2 TIMB!!!!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

unless you pay for an app, yes

scroll reverser will do it for free for trackpad, mouse, and tablet individually

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the inverted scrolling is more natural imo, why would you want to change it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

inverted on a trackpad is fine. inverted on a scroll wheel is trash

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Endless Mike posted:

inverted on a trackpad is fine. inverted on a scroll wheel is trash

yep!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Sagebrush posted:

they aren't real computers so i don't know what you expected

suppose i didn't expect a $900 ipad pro to be entirely glued together, to the extent that if the home button jams up after a year you have the option of buying another $900 ipad pro to replace it.

now clearly that is because i am an idiot, but still.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the home button on my friend s 4s broke so she used the accessibility visual home button for a long time

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
It’s called the nipple

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
people in China still obsessively use the virtual accessibility button because they’re afraid it’ll wear out the home button despite it
1. being a solved problem for years
2. the home button not being a physical button at all

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

ah that makes more sense, though if that’s the case I’m pretty sure switching to Square would help them with that problem

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

cash only businesses are money laundering fronts so you gotta decide if their products/services are worth your participation in crime

the italian club near a family member is fuckin bonkers. yearly dues are like $20 but there's a $5000 raffle every month? yeah k

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

vodkat posted:

you ain't wrong, but thats still piddly amounts of money because americans (most of them anyway) are poor as gently caress

the figure i saw was that the annual bonuses paid out on wall street exceed the combined annual income of every minimum-wage worker in america

infernal machines posted:

suppose i didn't expect a $900 ipad pro to be entirely glued together, to the extent that if the home button jams up after a year you have the option of buying another $900 ipad pro to replace it.

now clearly that is because i am an idiot, but still.

if you used tiny screws instead of glue the device would

a) be 0.3mm thicker and 500 milligrams heavier
b) have 1mm-wide screw heads visible in half a dozen locations on the back
c) be repairable by any random guy in a streetside shack

so really they made the only reasonable choice

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

graph posted:

the italian club near a family member is fuckin bonkers. yearly dues are like $20 but there's a $5000 raffle every month? yeah k

that's not even a mob front

that is to say, there is no fronting involved

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

people in China still obsessively use the virtual accessibility button because they’re afraid it’ll wear out the home button despite it
1. being a solved problem for years
2. the home button not being a physical button at all

they're all scarred by off-brand anroid phones

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's not even a mob front

that is to say, there is no fronting involved

yep. beers are like 50 cents above cost and you can smoke at the bar. it's wild. the super bowl squares total up to like 75k

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

vodkat posted:

it doesn't matter that the volume is small, it's still a large fraction of persons

america ain't going cashless any time soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

the figure i saw was that the annual bonuses paid out on wall street exceed the combined annual income of every minimum-wage worker in america

if you used tiny screws instead of glue the device would

a) be 0.3mm thicker and 500 milligrams heavier
b) have 1mm-wide screw heads visible in half a dozen locations on the back
c) be repairable by any random guy in a streetside shack

so really they made the only reasonable choice

assembly with glue should be cheaper than mucking around with tiny screws