Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Great series! I finished it on the weekened.

Allow me to participate in the speculation of Season 2.

Have any you watched some obscure movies called 'Star Wars'? :P Because I think they could do a Star Wars
Miguel: Darth Vader, which will turn to the dark side in Season 2, and be redeemed in the end
Kreese: Emperor, seducing Miguel to the secret, dark arts of the real Cobra Kai.
Sam: the new Luke, who will go to rescue his fath... ex-boyfriend. With her kicks.
Johnny: Yoda, training Sam in the second season.

Which one is Jar Jar Binks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

Which one is Jar Jar Binks?

The 'Alexa order a PS Vita!' kid.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, so I watched Karate Kid 3 on the advice of this thread. I actually started with the Rifftrax but cut over to regular audio after a bit because I was digging it. So... it's a total loss for the good guys, right? Daniel-san wins the tournament, but they didn't really give a poo poo about the tournament in the first place, the whole movie was him being forced to enter it. And his win basically has the largest asterisk ever next to it -- everyone watched Mike Barnes just beat the poo poo out of him for the entire match, even throwing away his own points to clown on him some more, and then Daniel just gets a lucky point in when they go to sudden death. No one's walking away from that match thinking Barnes wasn't a hilariously better fighter.

And then, well, Miyagi and Daniel got their lives hosed over. I assume the bonsai shop failed after getting smashed up and getting all its inventory stolen, Daniel lost his money for college, and Terry Silver gets to go back to hiding toxic waste all over the globe. And Mike Barnes has learned a valuable lesson about loving around too much when he beats up a nerd.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
in the little aside re: Mr. Miyagi's Tiny Trees, when Daniel's wife is razzing him a little over it, he said something about it being a sound business, they just "had some bad luck"

presumably the bad luck was the store getting pillaged by karate goons

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

One minor victory for Daniel-san in KK3.

The cute redhead girl left state before Daniel got his rear end kicked in the tourney.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Phenotype posted:

Okay, so I watched Karate Kid 3 on the advice of this thread. I actually started with the Rifftrax but cut over to regular audio after a bit because I was digging it. So... it's a total loss for the good guys, right? Daniel-san wins the tournament, but they didn't really give a poo poo about the tournament in the first place, the whole movie was him being forced to enter it. And his win basically has the largest asterisk ever next to it -- everyone watched Mike Barnes just beat the poo poo out of him for the entire match, even throwing away his own points to clown on him some more, and then Daniel just gets a lucky point in when they go to sudden death. No one's walking away from that match thinking Barnes wasn't a hilariously better fighter.

And then, well, Miyagi and Daniel got their lives hosed over. I assume the bonsai shop failed after getting smashed up and getting all its inventory stolen, Daniel lost his money for college, and Terry Silver gets to go back to hiding toxic waste all over the globe. And Mike Barnes has learned a valuable lesson about loving around too much when he beats up a nerd.

It's the tournament that gets Cobra Kai banned "forever," so there's that much at least. Seems like it satisfied Daniel for 30 years or so.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
daniel isn't satisfied, he's let his relationships with his children collapse while he drowns in bourgeois materialism

his only peers are coworkers he quietly hates like his dipshit cousin

his wife is his only functioning relationship, and she seems to be the actual brains behind the dealership too. daniel's a glorified spokesmodel

the one thing i really want to see in season 2 is daniel building a connection with his son for the first time, as much as i hope he manages to rebuild his connection with his daughter

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

daniel isn't satisfied, he's let his relationships with his children collapse while he drowns in bourgeois materialism

the one thing i really want to see in season 2 is daniel building a connection with his son for the first time, as much as i hope he manages to rebuild his connection with his daughter

I'd like to see his son being inspired by the season 1 tournament to take up karate, and being irredeemably loving awful at it no matter what Daniel tries

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
tbh i'd also be fine with ayesha or hawk mentoring the kid into cobra kai

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

zeal posted:

tbh i'd also be fine with ayesha or hawk mentoring the kid into cobra kai

Nope.

Kreeeeese

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

waah posted:

Nope.

Kreeeeese

you're right

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just realized that johnny was probably let into cobra kai in the first place for the same reason ayesha was: their (step)dads had a lot of money to splash around

that they both turned out pretty good at karate was just a bonus

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I was never a fan of the original movies. Hell, I hadn't even SEEN any of them past the first one and that was a long time ago.

Then a friend pushed me to watch this, so I put on the first episode Friday night just to shut him up.

I ended up binging all 10 episodes in a single night. I literally could not stop watching it. The production value is absolutely incredible and the dynamic between Johnny and Daniel is so well done. You can't help but like the Cobra Kai kids this time. They're not rich douchebags; they're just the marginalized, the bullied, and the downtrodden looking for a way to fight back.

I was a little sad about Miguel. I wanted to keep rooting for him, but by the final episode he's so unlikable that it's nearly impossible.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 14, 2018

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

zeal posted:

i just realized that johnny was probably let into cobra kai in the first place for the same reason ayesha was: their (step)dads had a lot of money to splash around

that they both turned out pretty good at karate was just a bonus

A lot of that going around these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEZLng36pIc

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just wanna see Daniel's son drink more condiments.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The real hero is actually Hawk especially how he rescued that chick from the plastics club.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The other thing about Hawk and the other Cobra Kai people is after becoming badasses they didn't try to change social groups and join the cool kids club lunch table cliques. Hawk still hangs with his best friend. So yeah they wanted to stop being picked on and made fun of but they didnt completely turn into the people they hated.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

The real hero is actually Hawk especially how he rescued that chick from the plastics club.

he's so hot

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

zeal posted:

Ayesha wasn't let in because of her family; Johnny didn't care about that. She was let in after she beat the poo poo out of Miguel with a bodyslam->knee drop combo. "Girl's a natural Cobra."

Kreese's dojo was depicted in the flashback as doing perfectly good business; I get the feeling Kreese didn't care, as long as you paid your dues and put up with his training style which, in the original movie, didn't seem particularly unusual for 'mass market' karate dojos.

TBQH, I think the only reason Kreese really cared about Daniel at all, in the first movie, is that Daniel and Miyagi showed up at his dojo and challenged his authority in front of his students, and possibly because Miyagi beat the poo poo out Johnny's crew; Johnny was clearly Kreese's head student. It's not like Kreese had his students regularly pulling bullshit at tournaments.

Also, we weren't shown things like how Johnny taught Miguel how to kick; Kreese ain't got time for that tomfoolery. And even that pales in comparison to some of the poo poo Miyagi pulled, from 'throw a kid with six month's training into a tournament under false pretenses' to 'teach the kid a force-redirection maneuver by dropping giant hooks at him.' Yes, Miyagi put a giant cork on the hook, and yes, Daniel did the unprotected hook by himself. Still.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

TheCenturion posted:

Ayesha wasn't let in because of her family; Johnny didn't care about that. She was let in after she beat the poo poo out of Miguel with a bodyslam->knee drop combo. "Girl's a natural Cobra."

Yeah, but that’s after Miguel mentions Johnny needs more students and her dad was a former pro-linebacker, so $$$. Before that he wasn’t willing to give her a chance straight out.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The best part about this already great show is the Larusso boy. He's the only guy that has no need of a transformative character arc. The entire time he knows he's a Mt Dew slamming gaming nerd, and doesn't need to high kick anyone to prove that's he's not empty inside. I want a show about him, called "Fat Larusso" and it's mostly him watching Fortnite on Twitch and getting angry about it.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

He's not playing fortnite. He has a PS Vita. He's marathoning Senran Kagura play sessions.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The best part about this already great show is the Larusso boy. He's the only guy that has no need of a transformative character arc. The entire time he knows he's a Mt Dew slamming gaming nerd, and doesn't need to high kick anyone to prove that's he's not empty inside. I want a show about him, called "Fat Larusso" and it's mostly him watching Fortnite on Twitch and getting angry about it.

I liked how Daniel-son was supposed to be a success story but he's basically trapped in suburban hell with things like having a fat gamer son.

At least his wife is pretty drat practical

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This show made me thirsty for a cool, refreshing Coors Banquet Beer.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

I was never a fan of the original movies. Hell, I hadn't even SEEN any of them past the first one and that was a long time ago.

Then a friend pushed me to watch this, so I put on the first episode Friday night just to shut him up.

I ended up binging all 10 episodes in a single night. I literally could not stop watching it. The production value is absolutely incredible and the dynamic between Johnny and Daniel is so well done. You can't help but like the Cobra Kai kids this time. They're not rich douchebags; they're just the marginalized, the bullied, and the downtrodden looking for a way to fight back.

I was a little sad about Miguel. I wanted to keep rooting for him, but by the final episode he's so unlikable that it's nearly impossible.

Miguel is the true hero of the series. I was still rooting for him at the end because Robby was annoying and stupid. And a bad friend for not hooking his buddies up with the code he got!

Just a bad friend all around. Bad friend, bad kid, bad student. Bad hair.

Let's make Team Miguel gang tags on top of the Cobra Kai ones!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Robby also looks like a guest star love interest on a 90s sitcom.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

withak posted:

:lol: @ "I don't want blood on the patio so why don't we all go inside and work this out over breakfast?"

I loved Johnny dousing his food with the salt or pepper shaker in the background while Daniel was arguing with his wife on the patio.

And Johnny and the fat son ‘you got any ketchup?’
‘Yeah, go get it yourself’.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

To those asking about the show and how it ended up on Youtube Red. I watched an hour long video interview with the producers where they basically laid out everything about the show. Youtube Red was the very first place they pitched. And lots of other places wanted it too. But Youtube Red was the only place that really understood the show and what it could be. And they said they would immediately be the top priority. They told the guys "We want your show to be our House of Cards. The show that puts our name out there" and that was what sold them.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Darko posted:

THIS. He looks so much like Shawn Hunter it throws me every.drat.time.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

It irked me too until I realized he was President Kirkman's kid Leo from Designated Survivor. But that's now cancelled anyway, so :shrug: .

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Silly Burrito posted:

It irked me too until I realized he was President Kirkman's kid Leo from Designated Survivor. But that's now cancelled anyway, so :shrug: .

Aaaaand now that’s solved. Was wondering where I’d seen him before.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

Robby is basically this in the Fuller House reboot. Where instead of karate it's post modern dance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

To those asking about the show and how it ended up on Youtube Red. I watched an hour long video interview with the producers where they basically laid out everything about the show. Youtube Red was the very first place they pitched. And lots of other places wanted it too. But Youtube Red was the only place that really understood the show and what it could be. And they said they would immediately be the top priority. They told the guys "We want your show to be our House of Cards. The show that puts our name out there" and that was what sold them.

Well that works because CK is objectively better than HoC in every single way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Well that works because CK is objectively better than HoC in every single way.

Here's the interview in question. There's a lot of really good stories about the creation of the show. Kinda funny how while on the pitch trail for the show they kept seeing Jordan Peele pitching something as well (my guess is his Nazi Hunter show) and he kept asking them more and more questions about the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5WCFtycxtk

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 15, 2018

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Daniel's wife saw The Karate Kid.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

gohmak posted:

Daniel's wife saw The Karate Kid.

And yet she still married Daniel. Maybe she's not as smart as we all thought.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

etalian posted:

The series is so well done that there is a character explanation of why Hawk was the one who did a illegal attack in the tourney (which was needed for script reasons, for the climatic fight). He was the one loser who needed the most the teaching of Cobra Kai, and he was the one he gained the most when he truly applied himself and change his outlook on life. So he naturally had interiorized the bad parts of the Cobra Kai teachings at a maximum degree, and acted with aggression at any provocation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My favorite antagonistic moment of Hawk's was when he stood on his mark and didn't move out of Robbie's way so Robbie had to walk around him after he got his first point.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Turin Turambar posted:

The series is so well done that there is a character explanation of why Hawk was the one who did a illegal attack in the tourney (which was needed for script reasons, for the climatic fight). He was the one loser who needed the most the teaching of Cobra Kai, and he was the one he gained the most when he truly applied himself and change his outlook on life. So he naturally had interiorized the bad parts of the Cobra Kai teachings at a maximum degree, and acted with aggression at any provocation.

The problem is that Hawk, Ayesha, and to a slightly lesser extent, Miguel, psychologically tied their life changes directly to their adoption of the Cobra Kai philosophy. Meaning that if they lost in a karate match, it was a direct assault on their newfound confidence and life changes, and thus, they reacted more violently than they should have.

In other words, by losing a point, Hawk was experiencing an attack directly against his entire new life outlook, not just his karate skill.

Robbie, on the other hand, was learning Karate as a method of expressing balance, not as a new part of his definition of self. Hence, he was able to lose the karate match, but keep his own balance, and thus, come out of the tournament not feeling that he, personally, had failed.

Johnny, on the other hand, seeing his teachings go so wrong, did experience a personal failure. Hopefully, his, I hesitate to say, maturity, enables him to do something about it.

Watch throughout the show, and you see that Johnny is very hesitant and unsure of being a teacher, and falls back into acting like his old teacher, Kreese; his mannerisms, speaking patterns, and style. He literally adopts the persona of Kreese,a s Johnny has no idea how to be a teacher and role model himself.

Nevertheless, Johnny has achieved a more nuanced understanding of the Cobra Kai philosophy; he expresses it throughout the series, albeit indirectly, as actually meaning 'give everything your all, don't hold back, don't talk yourself into giving up. Keep trying until you succeed, or until it's illegal or immoral to continue. You have the power and strength within you, and the only thing holding you back is yourself.' Unfortunately, he's unable to express these ideas directly, so the kids simply pick up 'win at any cost.'

And it's an interesting trick that this philosophy works for Johnny; he spends the entire series slowly, methodically, but within the rules of society and morality, achieving his goals; opening the dojo, completing the licensing requirements, getting students, getting unbanned from the tournament, and so on, only to have that success, ultimately, be a failure.

What might have been interesting would be for Johnny to stop the fight between Miguel and Robby, indicating that he, finally, understood that 'winning' and 'victory' are two different things. Miguel, feeling betrayed, announces that, where Robbie had started unaffiliated and was now fighting for Miyagi-Do, Miguel was now fighting unaffiliated. He goes on to defeat Robbie, throws his belt at Johnny, and stalks away, in a reverse parallel of Johnny and Kreese after the original tournament.

Then, at the end, instead of showing up at Johnny's place, Kreese appears to Miguel, and asks him if he's like to continue training with the REAL Cobra Kai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
S2 needs to start with Johnny doing then the simple act of painting a fourth rule on his wall that says

"FIGHT WITH HONOR"

• Locked thread