Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

my bony fealty posted:

Soda Bar? I will be there barring a catastrophic event. I never saw Cough when I lived in Richmond cuz I'm an idiot and now I'm real glad they are playing here.

Yeah! I'll be there in a spiky vest with a dude in a white leather jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I've been listening to this a lot lately at work, it's very satisfying https://deathbelldoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Varg posted:

I've been listening to this a lot lately at work, it's very satisfying https://deathbelldoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Very Windhand-esque (great, imo)

fake edit: saw Eyehategod live a few weeks ago, kicked rear end, very fun time if you can appreciate their brand of pitch-black humor.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Windhand rules. i used to run a shipping store and Ryan would come in pretty regularly to ship cracked cymbals back to Zildjian.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ll have to listen to that. Windhand has pulled ahead so far as my favorite doom band it’s kind of crazy. I don’t know what it is but everything about them is perfectly engineered for me.

e: oh yeah this is hitting that spot already :D

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Windbland.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

funkybottoms posted:

Windhand rules. i used to run a shipping store and Ryan would come in pretty regularly to ship cracked cymbals back to Zildjian.

I got to know Ryan a bit when he was playing in a band called Rent America out of Goldsboro NC, it's funny because he used to play super fast punk/hardcore drumming and now he plays real slow in Windhand.

Here's rent america at 33:30:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Av2y7pE3hs

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 15, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Windhand should cover one of those songs

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Eat The Rich posted:

Yeah! I'll be there in a spiky vest with a dude in a white leather jacket.

Okay. He didn't wear his jacket. I'm in a blue flannel and vest.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snowy posted:

Windhand should cover one of those songs

I still want Windhand covers of Townes Van Zandt songs. Dorthia is a big fan of his.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Eat The Rich posted:

Okay. He didn't wear his jacket. I'm in a blue flannel and vest.

Gonna head over soon. Flying solo tonight cuz gf didn't wanna come, her loss!

I'm wearing a shirt with this on it in tribute \m/

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

my bony fealty posted:

Gonna head over soon. Flying solo tonight cuz gf didn't wanna come, her loss!

I'm wearing a shirt with this on it in tribute \m/

Badass also you missed a band!

Edit: Cough was loving awesome

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 15, 2018

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
more new yob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGgEvV3W2qc

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the whole album seems to have leaked actually. i found it pretty underwhelming and I thought their last one was great.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah I was kind of disappointed with it. I loved how heavy and precise The Screen was and hoped for more of that but it's basically the new Elder album but less interesting.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Sounds like they were trying too hard to write another Marrow. Maybe it'll be better in the context of the full album.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

To me the album sounds like they forgot how to write songs. Like there's one song i liked and the others just sound like mashups of offcut riffs from their old albums.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

drat those vocal melodies are niiiiiice

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

A human heart posted:

To me the album sounds like they forgot how to write songs. Like there's one song i liked and the others just sound like mashups of offcut riffs from their old albums.

honestly i've been thinking this since atma. the great cessation was great but after it, meh

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Too perfect lol

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

honestly i've been thinking this since atma. the great cessation was great but after it, meh

I'd disagree with this actually, I thought all the songs on the last one were very good(which isn't easy since they're all really long) with almost no filler at all.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The last one is by far my favorite Yob album. I don’t even listen to the other stuff much now.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
speaking of yob and that shadow of the torturer shirt, there's a doom band called shadow of the torturer that used to have travis from yob on drums. also mike played with a lot of the same dudes in h.c. minds, including old yob bassist isamu sato.

https://shadowofthetorturer1.bandcamp.com/

A human heart posted:

I'd disagree with this actually, I thought all the songs on the last one were very good(which isn't easy since they're all really long) with almost no filler at all.

i listened to it maybe twice or three times but it just didn't grab me at all. atma was even worse, adrift in the ocean is an ok song but other than that it was just boring. the super muddy sound on both albums doesn't really help, either

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 16, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

nerve posted:

Too perfect lol

?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
maybe i'll give clearing the path a new chance, my GF loves it too

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't listened to the whole Yob album yet (just the two tracks on Spotify) but if y'all don't think the title track is loving amazing then we must be listening to different songs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How are you all listening to the full album? Can a soul enlighten me :thunk:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How are you all listening to the full album? Can a soul enlighten me :thunk:

it's likely leaked. some people still download mp3's, hah

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Dyna Soar posted:

i'm one of those people... found it leaked in only 128kb format, :barf: I'll just wait until it's released

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Dyna Soar posted:

It's leaked in a HQ 320kb format too. The Screen initially caught my attention but, the whole album is pretty great. I think the vocals are most improved.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

It's leaked in a HQ 320kb format too. The Screen initially caught my attention but, the whole album is pretty great. I think the vocals are most improved.

has mike learned a new vocal style aside from cosmic axl rose and gutter troll?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Dyna Soar posted:

has mike learned a new vocal style aside from cosmic axl rose and gutter troll?

Nope. I think just taking some time off with the surgery and taking a break from singing may have helped.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I looooove Mike's vocals especially cosmic Axl Rose haha

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I read a recent interview where he said he had been working on being a better musician and learning the craft.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yob got some west coast dates in September. I'd rather see this lineup, I must admit. I like Bell Witch but I've seen them a few times already and would like to see Chrch live. Oh well.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
They're playing Atlanta with Bell Witch and Lazer/Wulf like five blocks from my new apartment in July and I'm totally still gonna go see them, it seems like the new album might be cooler live. Plus my girlfriend's best friend's husband is a big stoner/doom guy and I like making friends.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Probably of interest to some: O'Malley is playing some guitar on the Johann Johannson score for Mandy, the Nic Cage starring follow-up to Beyond the Black Rainbow

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Eat The Rich posted:

Badass also you missed a band!

Edit: Cough was loving awesome

Yeah that was super dope. Heaviest thing I've seen in a while. The Soda Bar is such a treasure here. Thanks to yr pal for the cigs!

Dyna Soar posted:

speaking of yob and that shadow of the torturer shirt, there's a doom band called shadow of the torturer that used to have travis from yob on drums. also mike played with a lot of the same dudes in h.c. minds, including old yob bassist isamu sato.

https://shadowofthetorturer1.bandcamp.com/

I found these guys a while back in my search for Gene Wolfe related music and was pleasantly surprised, pretty good stuff. Didn't know about the Yob connection. I've been listening to Clearing the Path to Ascend all day tho. Anytime is good time to listen to YOB.

How is Acid King live? I'm not a huge fan of their recorded stuff but seems like it might be a lotta fun. Def. gonna hit up that Yob tour.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ingmar terdman posted:

Probably of interest to some: O'Malley is playing some guitar on the Johann Johannson score for Mandy, the Nic Cage starring follow-up to Beyond the Black Rainbow

Holy poo poo I didn’t know that was a thing. BtBR is one of my favorite films :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

my bony fealty posted:

How is Acid King live? I'm not a huge fan of their recorded stuff but seems like it might be a lotta fun. Def. gonna hit up that Yob tour.
They're cool and good and super loud, like the bass will make your whole body vibrate loud