Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Hell yeah, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here
One of my cats had to spend the day at the vet getting teeth stuff done, and now it's the long dark teatime of reintroducing him to his sister. I've been rubbing their scent back and forth using towels, and letting them see each other through cracks in the door. It'll get better (I hope) but it's really sad that he just wants to cuddle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Took Jellybean to the vet today for her peeing where she isn't supposed to, long story short there's no obvious reason for it but she got some anti-inflammatory medicine in case it's cystitis.

But she's 16 pounds of fat cat so anyone know an affordable food to put her on to help lose some weight and get her healthy?

Note: she was a rescue and came to us overweight I didn't do that to her myself

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Totally out of the blue Marshmellow stopped eating much, was vomiting when she tried and became lethargic. Yesterday we sort of noticed her bare skin area near her ears was starting to turn yellowish. Took her to the vet hospital like as soon as they loving opened this morning.

They ran blood and urine tests on site and basically her liver isn't working right, has inflammation was pretty dehydrated and her tummy is empty. Her blood didn't show anything. X-Ray they didn't see anything bad. They're going to do an ultrasound in the morning. She's currently getting "the works". They have her on IV fluids, antibiotics and some sort of liver supplement that sounded like antifreeze. But no one's saying anything positive sounding. Just kind of neutral, "wait and see" comments. I'm not an optimist.

Someone please tell me how this could all be OK. I'm not good at feeling this awful. It breaks my usually stone cold hardened manheart having to leave her there. I haven't slept with an empty lap in forever.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

owls or something posted:

Totally out of the blue Marshmellow stopped eating much, was vomiting when she tried and became lethargic. Yesterday we sort of noticed her bare skin area near her ears was starting to turn yellowish. Took her to the vet hospital like as soon as they loving opened this morning.

They ran blood and urine tests on site and basically her liver isn't working right, has inflammation was pretty dehydrated and her tummy is empty. Her blood didn't show anything. X-Ray they didn't see anything bad. They're going to do an ultrasound in the morning. She's currently getting "the works". They have her on IV fluids, antibiotics and some sort of liver supplement that sounded like antifreeze. But no one's saying anything positive sounding. Just kind of neutral, "wait and see" comments. I'm not an optimist.

Someone please tell me how this could all be OK. I'm not good at feeling this awful. It breaks my usually stone cold hardened manheart having to leave her there. I haven't slept with an empty lap in forever.

I've seen stuff like this go both ways. They say cats have nine lives for a reason - they have a remarkable ability to bounce back from serious illnesses.

Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. Your cat is getting the best care possible, there is nothing else you can do.

Sorry about your kitty, it's always hard to deal with. :(

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
In exact opposite news, I have a deck cat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

In exact opposite news, I have a deck cat.

Did you pet deck cat? Because that is a cat demanding pets.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I tried but deck cat is shy. I left a small pile of treats and water.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
In other shy cat news, I am told that noted couch monster Brutus has now progressed to being regularly willing to eat in the kitchen with his probably-brothers, though only when pointedly enticed to do so. Progress seems slow and steady.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

e; ^^^ Is good news! Good job Brutus :3:

owls or something posted:

It could indeed all be okay! It's true that it might not be, but Marshmallow's in the best place for her right now, getting extremely advanced medical care. As was said cats don't have that "nine lives" thing said about them for no reason. I've seen cats come right back from a situation where the vet was explicitly saying it was time to say goodbyes.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Mar has been discharged. They got her hydrated and medicated overnight and eating again on her own thanks to an appetite enhancer we're to keep giving her along with antibiotics and some liver booster stuff. She pooped overnight. Have to take her for an ultrasound on Tuesday (4 loving days from now) at another vet because $1700 later we still don't know what the actual issue was and are only treating the symptoms or far.

But she's home, eating and has pooped.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I am glad that the symptoms improved :unsmith: good luck figuring out the cause!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Sometimes they manage to get dehydrated and then they seem to feel nauseous so they stop eating because... no why.

Evil Gizmo keeps darting out of doors lately and nothing I've tried has dissuaded her from trying to go outside. The harness, yelling, pushing, and pssting at her all failed. Anyone manage to keep their dumb inside cats from becoming flat outside cats? Should I try a pair of sssscats or whatever they're called?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I recommend pet insurance for the inevitable expensive situation like that. One of mine ended up with some weird thing that is not a UTI called FLUTD. Was debt or death and he was young enough that it was worth the expense, but if we had coverage we would've been so much better off. It's much cheaper the younger you get them covered too.

What are people's opinions about leaving treats/water out for visiting cats that are clearly not strays. I was always under the impression it was a bad idea.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 13, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ILL Machina posted:

What are people's opinions about leaving treats/water out for visiting cats that are clearly not stays. I was always under the impression it was a bad idea.

I mean I read this book once about this cat that had six different families and got six meals and he was the happiest cat

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

What are people's opinions about leaving treats/water out for visiting cats that are clearly not stays. I was always under the impression it was a bad idea.

Water, yes. But if you leave out food for visiting cats, you WILL get strays. Maybe offer pets and cat treats when your visitors visit instead?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have fed and watered the neighbor’s cat for a few years. Now we are moving and I can’t take her with me and she does not understand why I stopped feeding her. It sucks :(

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Len posted:

I mean I read this book once about this cat that had six different families and got six meals and he was the happiest cat

This is pretty common. The rescue used to get at least 1 or 2 of these reported a year. We'd go in, do a door to door with a picture first and if that didn't find the owner we'd have to go ahead with trapping. Check for RFID chips and ID collars and failing all that take it off for a vet visit and into care. Within weeks we'd get a call from a family somewhere inside 3 streets from the complaint house who'd seen a poster and thinks it's theirs. One happy reunion later and the cat is back doing his multi meal rounds.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ow my legs

Kittens are arseholes

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Look at this fuckin arsehole

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh I see, you got a torti, that explains things.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Raiden is not amused I found a miniature toy that looks just like him.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bean is officially using her litter box again like a good kitty. The anti-inflammatory medicine and saline they pumped her full if apparently solved whatever problem she was having.

Here's the good girl on display:

And not wanting a belly rub despite asking for it:

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Look at this fuckin arsehole

Awwww, looks like my little girl from the 90's, I miss her so much.

Whenever I go to the pet store to pick up treats, I have a mini-breakdown if they've got any torties for adoption.... :-(

But NO more cats until these three are gone. Spouse and I have a pact on that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I am such a sucker for torties, I hear you!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Len posted:

Bean is officially using her litter box again like a good kitty. The anti-inflammatory medicine and saline they pumped her full if apparently solved whatever problem she was having.

Here's the good girl on display:

And not wanting a belly rub despite asking for it:

The trick is that for some cats that's asking for belly rubs and for other cats it's asking for wrestling and for other other cats it's just having a nice stretch wait why are you touching me?????

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Organza Quiz posted:

The trick is that for some cats that's asking for belly rubs and for other cats it's asking for wrestling and for other other cats it's just having a nice stretch wait why are you touching me?????

She likes to do that while you're walking through the house. All of a sudden there's this fluffy meowing obstacle in front of you and I keep telling her that's a bad idea and she's gonna get stepped on but she just meows at me.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Shelly has been having some issues with hairballs, like she's thrown up hairballs twice in less than two weeks. I tried giving her the hairball control Greenies but she threw up the one she ate like a minute after eating it. I have a furminator that I use to brush her and she's obviously very into keeping herself clean. Any good anti hairball advice or should I just give in and give her a lion cut?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think the bigger problem is your house melting

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Animale posted:

Shelly has been having some issues with hairballs, like she's thrown up hairballs twice in less than two weeks. I tried giving her the hairball control Greenies but she threw up the one she ate like a minute after eating it. I have a furminator that I use to brush her and she's obviously very into keeping herself clean. Any good anti hairball advice or should I just give in and give her a lion cut?

Petromalt seems to work ok. The original formula seems to work better, it's thicker. It's basically flavored Vaseline. Might be worth a try.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Is it definitely hairballs? Twice in two weeks sounds like a lot for those.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Animale posted:

She looks a lot like my longhaired tuxedobeast, who gets mats in his fur. Sometimes I catch him grooming and trying to eat a huge clump of fur. He fusses when I take it out of his mouth, but he doesn't seem to cough up hairballs much. If he throws up it's because he ate too fast.

Still, unless you can't deal with the hairballs, I don't think it hurts them enough to require extreme fur mods.

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009
I've have two older DSH cats that I've had for nearly five years. A few months ago, I found a young kitten abandoned under my deck. I took her in, and I was worried that the age range wouldn't work out well. Took them all of two days to settle into a routine of alternating playing with the kitten and sleeping because they can't keep up.

Get three cats. It's like having two cats, but better.

This is the new addition, Squanchy, cuddling up to my old girl Potato.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Do hairball treats actually do much to control hairballs? Terry loves his Greenies dental treats so I'd try the "stop vomiting hairballs dammit" variety.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hairball pastes lubricate the hairball and help it exit the cat on the poop end rather than the front end. YMMV depending entirely on how much the cat loves or hates the paste.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I have a fluffball too. Furminating is good if you don't over do it, but you should be sure to get all the loose hair off her or she'll be eating hair off herself for the whole day after.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

effika posted:

Petromalt seems to work ok. The original formula seems to work better, it's thicker. It's basically flavored Vaseline. Might be worth a try.

I'll have to give that a try.

ILL Machina posted:

I have a fluffball too. Furminating is good if you don't over do it, but you should be sure to get all the loose hair off her or she'll be eating hair off herself for the whole day after.
I try to get all the hair off her after the furmination but cats gonna cat so when she's done, she's gone.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Evilpiggie posted:

I've have two older DSH cats that I've had for nearly five years. A few months ago, I found a young kitten abandoned under my deck. I took her in, and I was worried that the age range wouldn't work out well. Took them all of two days to settle into a routine of alternating playing with the kitten and sleeping because they can't keep up.

This is the new addition, Squanchy, cuddling up to my old girl Potato.

piiisssssssss

this needs more love

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Evilpiggie posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

It's been over a month since I adopted my cat and he still hasn't changed much in his hiding behavior. Aside from eating, drinking, and using the litter box, he just still hides in his crate 24/7. I suppose it'll take a while longer, but man it's a little disheartening not seeing any progress despite chilling out with him everyday. :sigh:

He was treated for an ear infection last week, which maybe could have been fouling his mood. Otherwise I hope he decides to come out one of these days. I have to wonder if he's just depressed since he got moved from a shelter room full of cats to being by himself. I suppose I could try getting another one, but not entirely sure that would go over well with him or not.