Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Imo it shouldn’t matter whether you’re contesting the ball or not, contact to the head which could reasonably lead to a spinal injury should not be allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Personally I think it’s pretty hilarious that Essendon brought on noted mastermind duo Neil Craig and Mark Neeld

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Solemn Sloth posted:

Imo it shouldn’t matter whether you’re contesting the ball or not, contact to the head which could reasonably lead to a spinal injury should not be allowed

Come on mate what’s a bit of biffo these soft fairies can’t handle strewth

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Personally I think it’s pretty hilarious that Essendon brought on noted mastermind duo Neil Craig and Mark Neeld

If you're going to lose finals matches, I can't think of a better person than Neil Craig.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Completely apropos of nothing:

I was listening to Australian hip-hop artist Drapht's song Jimmy Recard where there is the line "like Wirrapunda on the ball"

It got me thinking, what other popular songs intentionally use the names of footy players in the lyrics?

Up there Cazaly is an obvious choice, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

Completely apropos of nothing:

I was listening to Australian hip-hop artist Drapht's song Jimmy Recard where there is the line "like Wirrapunda on the ball"

It got me thinking, what other popular songs intentionally use the names of footy players in the lyrics?

Up there Cazaly is an obvious choice, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

So who is your favourite genius, James Hird or James Joyce?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Baguley was sledging Jeb Lamb about his dad (who was murdered when Jed was 6) and thats what kicked off the scuffle between the two, which led Brendon Bolton to tell Baugley to gently caress off and go back to the Essendon huddle.

https://www.zerohanger.com/baguleys-personal-sledge-sends-lamb-over-the-top-19988/

quote:

Essendon’s Mark Baguley sledged Carlton’s Jed Lamb on Saturday about his father, who was murdered when Lamb was six years of age.

That sledge ignited the melee between the two at three-quarter-time, which saw Lamb receive a $1500 fine from the MRO for striking his Essendon opponent.

The Herald Sun believe Lamb notified Carlton officials about Baguley’s insensitive sledge, and told the club he repeatedly told Baguley not to speak about his father.

Baguley has reported told Essendon club officials he wasn’t aware of Lamb’s father’s passing, and tried to apologise at three quarter time.

“I’m aware of an issue from Saturday’s game,” Carlton CEO Cain Little told the Herald Sun on Tuesday.

Reportedly Carlton players told him to knock it off in the leadup to 3QT when he just kept persisting and Jed decided to throw a fist or two at the break.

Baugley also apparently tried to punch Charlie Curnow in the head after a marking contest but missed, haven't seen footage of it yet though.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Hello there I would like a list of TiSM references. Can I have them please tia

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Lamb should have flattened Baguley and should have been awarded 3 Brownlow votes for it imo.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

TISM footy references

The Back Upon Which Jezza Jumped
Father and Son
I Rooted A Girl Who Rooted A Guy Who Rooted A Girl Who Rooted A Guy Who Rooted A Girl Who Rooted Shane Crawford
Whatareya
Get Thee In My Behind, Satan
Greg! The Stop Sign!! (the video at least)
The Gentlemen, Start Your Egos album cover

These are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there's a bunch more.

Buddy's Kicking Screwies on the SCG

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Periphery posted:

Lamb should have flattened Baguley and should have been awarded 3 Brownlow votes for it imo.

Lambs is pretty tiny which is why he picked on Goddard all afternoon and made him (more) angry, someone his own size.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/baguley-sledge-directed-at-lamb-20180515-p4zff3.html

quote:

Lamb, one of Carlton's irritants and defensive forwards, physically targeted Bombers veteran Brendon Goddard from the outset of Saturday's contest to unsettle the Essendon leader.

When Baguley attempted to intervene and protect his teammate, he made a crude and inappropriate comment about Lamb's family, but it's understood the comments indicated he had no idea Lamb's father had died.

Lamb immediately told Baguley his father had died when he was young and told Baguley to stop or there would be ramifications.

Undeterred, Baguely repeated the comments about Lamb's family. It is uncertain how many times Baguley made the comments and was warned to stop.

Just prior to three-quarter-time, and after another verbal jab from Baguley, Lamb followed through on his promise and a fight broke out and players from both sides were drawn into a melee. Lamb was fined $1500 by match review officer Michael Christian for wrestling.

It was the same melee young forward Charlie Curnow was approaching that saw him make contact with an umpire.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/996291976700948480?s=09

Sledging is pretty dumb anyway.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
afl bows to clarkson and issues a notice saying that blocking rules will be heavily enforced.

fire hawthorn into the sun.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

also drapht's nasally bogan inflections are embarrassing to listen to and anybody who enjoys his music as a result of that should be ashamed of themselves. thats my hot take for the day.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjYRC8Rj_Uw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv7ZH-NKuIs

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

afl bows to clarkson and issues a notice saying that blocking rules will be heavily enforced.

imo Sydney have been pulling all sorts of cheating bullshit like that since Roos was coach, fire them both into the sun

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

snaeksikn posted:

Clarkson has been on this since early this year as well as holding the ball not being paid. It is no coincidence that the only coaches to oppose him are Chris Scott and John Longmire.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

snaeksikn posted:

I take it blocking opposition players on the mark isn't included in that edict.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

monolithburger posted:

I take it blocking opposition players on the mark isn't included in that edict.

Is that another thing only Hawthorn do?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Like getting free kicks and kneeing opponents

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

lol if you dont think clarkson is getting preferential treatment by the league here

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

A few people have made fun of the birthmark on Baguley's face over the years, he doesn't like it much.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

snaeksikn posted:

lol if you dont think clarkson is getting preferential treatment by the league here

Lol if you don’t think it will result in constant block calls against Hawthorn as the umps show their distaste for being called out publicly

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mitch McGovern out for 8 weeks with an ankle sprain just as he finally regains his form, loving wonderful

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
yeah the boys!

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/996296115799576577

https://twitter.com/SammyHeraldSun/status/996303190923460608

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Murdoch press and SEN got upset about something related to Hawthorn and the football public just lapped it up again. Everyone talks about how dumb Hutchy, Damo and Robbo are but they eat up every story they go with lol

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

realbez posted:

Is that another thing only Hawthorn do?

Pretty much, yes.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

gay picnic defence posted:

A few people have made fun of the birthmark on Baguley's face over the years, he doesn't like it much.

I think making fun of people for their physical appearance, like people often do in this thread, is a really crappy thing to do, that's my hot take.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

realbez posted:

Lol if you don’t think it will result in constant block calls against Hawthorn as the umps show their distaste for being called out publicly

thats an unexpectedly victimised take

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

The umpires never carry grudges for this, especially not the 'Sirengate' umpire who from then on seemed to get an inordinate number of Fremantle games, in which he loving reamed them at every half opportunity

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

snaeksikn posted:

a price I’m willing to pay if it ruins Longmire’s year

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
this is the internet’s best thread

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

As a team who rotates 4 marking talls through our forward line I say bring it on

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I’m sure blocking has been the source of Freo’s forward line woes this year, I can’t think of any other reason

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Chairchucker posted:

I think making fun of people for their physical appearance, like people often do in this thread, is a really crappy thing to do, that's my hot take.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yes. That's one of the examples I'm referring to of a footy player who people in this thread take shots at based on his appearance, and IMO that is bad and those people are awful.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"Ziebell fought the charge on two fronts, saying: (a) his act had not been intentional, nor careless, but accidental; and (b) it had not been of sufficient force to constitute a reportable offence."

gently caress off. So you can get away with kneeing someone in the loving skull, but tackling someone when you're over 6'3" is a no no. The AFL is doing nothing to protect against concussions at this rate, absolutely nothing. What a farce with this jerkoff at the helm.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 15, 2018

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Mitch McGovern out for 8 weeks with an ankle sprain just as he finally regains his form, loving wonderful

What the gently caress is going on with our injury list this year :smith:

It's almost all really important players, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cmndstab posted:

What the gently caress is going on with our injury list this year :smith:

It's almost all really important players, too.

The impact injuries are luck, the soft tissue injuries are from a really poor hiring choice for the fitness department