Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

Three generations of nurses in my family; dinner time used to be a place for the word 'prolapse', so I now have body dysmorphia issues and a mechanical working knowledge of the meatsack I never wanted.

What I'm saying is that medics have the darkest, blackest and most basic sense of humor you've seen this side of mortuary worker.*

* ditto for surgeons, doctors, paramedics and policemen. Coping mechanisms often involve humor.

This would indeed be a scary thing. I'll stick with the computer programming side of the medical industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

Wasn't the Illfonic bed-making GBS threads quite a while ago and didn't extend for an official bed-making GBS threads time of more than a few months before the bed was entirely shat?

CIG cannot fail, only be failed. Star Marine failing indefinitely, even long after Illfonic is gone and forgotten, will forever be Illfonics fault.

The sad part about this is that the parts Illfonic actually showed, looked kind of like an actual fun game. I'm pretty sure they were involved up through the zero gunfight and then also the ultimate Santaball e-sport showcase. But were soon dropped after this moment.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 15, 2018

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/996129630913482755

Did chris roberts ever tweet or whatever about leavers?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

mrking posted:

I think it was Ben who came up with "leavers"

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Hav posted:

a mechanical working knowledge of the meatsack I never wanted.

I read this a few times interpresting it as meat/sack and merely thought "man, medical people really love those particular genitals, don't they" but several quotes later I realised you probably just mean bodies as a whole. I'm sure there was plenty of that anyway.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

SoftNum posted:

I realize here that nobody ITT knows about games development; but the state of game development tools is frankly at an insane place compared to 1998.

I worked with Lith 1.x in 200x. It was an engine. Which meant that at the time it handled 3d hooks for you to render poo poo on the screen. You had to do EVERYTHING else.

Now you could go, download UE4, open it up. Turn off gravity, put some ship models in and basically have a single player representation of Star Citizen in a matter of hours if you were proficient in the tool, and probably a week from bare scratch.

I don't think any of us hacking on DX7 "back in the day" could've even imagined what would be available today....

See Solar Plebian.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

SoftNum posted:

I realize here that nobody ITT knows about games development; but the state of game development tools is frankly at an insane place compared to 1998.

I worked with Lith 1.x in 200x. It was an engine. Which meant that at the time it handled 3d hooks for you to render poo poo on the screen. You had to do EVERYTHING else.

Now you could go, download UE4, open it up. Turn off gravity, put some ship models in and basically have a single player representation of Star Citizen in a matter of hours if you were proficient in the tool, and probably a week from bare scratch.

I don't think any of us hacking on DX7 "back in the day" could've even imagined what would be available today....

What strikes me as somewhat ironic is that UE4/Unity as a game engine/framework is quite close to what Microsoft initially envisioned with it's "Retained Mode" Direct3D, which most studios/programmers saw as a huge, stupid mistake and pretty much unanimously rejected at the time.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Star Citizen | Lumberyard & Twitch Integration Rumors

quote:

Welcome to some more Star Citizen, there was a article from gamesindustry.biz - Amazon Lumberyard: One Year On, that talked about updates and some info on the Lumberyard Engine BUT also talked a bit about Star Citizen & Potential Twitch Integration.

BoredGamer’s reference article:

GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ: Amazon Lumberyard: One Year On

quote:

Mike Frazzini on the engine's first twelve months, how it attracts high-profile studios, and distancing the tech from CryEngine

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

When's the next Episode of Star Citizer : The Tears Within?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
How often does the game go F2P? I just caught up with this thread and I really want to get my hands on this trainwreck and feel how bad the "actually simulated footsteps" walking feels, or how much i need to nudge into my ship to send it flying off in every direction like when you try to shove a book into a bookshelf in Elder Scrolls.

And while $45 isn't a terribly huge amount of money for me, it's clearly not worth it to experience a lovely tech demo, and more importantly it would be morally wrong to spend a single cent on CIG.

(.....I'm probably going to get an aurora package one day when I'm drunk and my curiosity overpowers my judgement, but oh well.)
--------

Is land buying in the game yet?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Why are these guys talking about an article from last year like it’s news?

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!
How is the sale doing? Pretty Okay!

Good enough to put cig in the black for this month? No!

So far the sale has taken in about 500k above what they would have made normally. For comparison the Pioneer took in about 1.5 million above normal sale amounts.

I'd say Hercules buyers are about 75% whale and that having longer sales was a mistake.

Why did this happen? Backers made about LTI? The ship sucks? In-house marketing isnt as good as Turbulent? I don't know!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is land buying in

of course commando, come right this way and let me show you the deals we have on bulk land beaco-

the what now

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

How often does the game go F2P?

It's less frequent now than it used to be. Bandwidth and hosting servers cost money, and if they're not getting conversions from free to packages then it's not worth their time when they could be doubling down on marketing to the "in for $5k or more" market

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What the hell's a warbond?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

mdxi posted:

This is from r/spacex, but somehow it has a very r/starcitizen feel to me...

I think it's the combined "being wrong about basic physics" with "wish fulfillment, in space" that makes it feel so familiar.

Full disclosure: I am fat, but not in space.

Me too. They’re not entirely wrong though? Assuming two people whose habits and activity level are the same, the heavier one is going to have stronger leg muscles. What’s funny about bringing it up in the context of space is that space ain’t got nothin’ to do with it, you’re stronger down here too.

The other thing that tickles me is his little heroic fantasy of being the one who can force open the stuck hatch. Sure buddy, if you want to imagine there’s a way to push on the hatch with your feet, congrats, yes, you’re stronger than a skinny guy who also doesn’t do squats. Maybe there really is some physical task only we fatties can do in space. But. Good luck fitting through that hatch once it’s open, my friend!

(I have zero illusions on that front. I’ve been inside a rather voluminous model of armored personnel carrier before (AAV-P7) and loving LOL at the idea of me fitting through the driver’s or commander’s hatches, or even being able to fit into the driver’s seat if entering from the rear compartment. That poo poo is not designed for my size of human. I doubt that spacecraft are any different, the engineering constraints are much worse.)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What the hell's a warbond?

A fancy name for real cash, as opposed to store credit.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

They also gave away warbonds as hangar flair to all backer pre-$100m. So there are at least two different types of meaningless warbonds.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Ohhh so not only is there store credit, which is less valuable than real money, there's also like, a Freemium Currency which you use to buy your giant spaceships. Do you need to convert your money into the war bonds to use them? How old is this? I imagine it has to be pretty old if nobody's even talking about that part because that's almost as scummy.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Why are these guys talking about an article from last year like it’s news?

It’s not like CIG to deliver anything on time!

It is weird though. I’m not sure why it became newsworthy suddenly. Maybe all those lucky winners of the $5000 Intel rigs were originally supposed to get them a year back in coordination with this PR push. But then it took an extra year because everything does with CIG?

Cymelion was commenting on this story earlier early today, talking about the tech / engine improvements CIG might be sending to Amazon for Lumberyard. Given that one of the lawsuit claims is that CIG failed to do this for Crytek, if they’re doing it for Amazon, I’d assume Skadden would take an interest.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Ohhh so not only is there store credit, which is less valuable than real money, there's also like, a Freemium Currency which you use to buy your giant spaceships. Do you need to convert your money into the war bonds to use them? How old is this? I imagine it has to be pretty old if nobody's even talking about that part because that's almost as scummy.

Oh, no, money conversion actually makes your money not worth as much-- they have no way to differentiate between "gift cards you bought with money" and "store credit you got from melting a ship jpeg", so if you spend $20 on a gift card that $20 is immediately second-class currency. The whole "war bond" thing can be translated in your head as "just cash", they just call it war bonds because patriotism and pride and citizenship must be earned and saying "pay us with cash" sounds crass.

The idea of "war bonds" is an older one, but it's actually what people are currently up in arms about because previously the benefit of buying with cash instead of credit was comparatively limited, minor discounts and such. This recent kerfluffle was because the ship sales boiled down to a new sperg chariot which could be purchased in 1 of 2 ways:

$700 of in-store credit, or
$600 of out of pocket cash, and you get a free $100 tank and the ship comes with LTI (this is important, bear with me)

Also if "in store credit" touches it, it's counted as 100% in-store credit. So let's say you've got a $20 gift certificate you want to use towards this purchase. You have the option of:
1. Buy the $600 version with all cash, ignore the gift certificate, or
2. Use the $20 gift certificate, get charged $680 and no free tank.

So now you add in the LTI thing, which is "Lifetime Insurance", which CIG currently has no idea how to implement. So according to CIG, LTI is simultaneously "not that important" and "important enough that attaching it to a ship is worth paying cash money instead of store credit", depending on who they're talking to at that specific point in time.

The natives now restless. :allears:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

It’s not like CIG to deliver anything on time!

It is weird though. I’m not sure why it became newsworthy suddenly. Maybe all those lucky winners of the $5000 Intel rigs were originally supposed to get them a year back in coordination with this PR push. But then it took an extra year because everything does with CIG?

Cymelion was commenting on this story earlier early today, talking about the tech / engine improvements CIG might be sending to Amazon for Lumberyard. Given that one of the lawsuit claims is that CIG failed to do this for Crytek, if they’re doing it for Amazon, I’d assume Skadden would take an interest.

CIG tech, if it even exists, is extremely niche anyways so this is just another backer dreams.

-Now Lumberyand has 64-bit positioning!
-You mean, like Unity?
-These are more fidelitious bits we're talking about!

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Get on my level, nerds.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meridian posted:

Get on my level, nerds.

wow how many tiers of concierge is that??? so shiny... you must be a really dedicated citizen!!!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
fidelity af

landing succssfl

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

tbh I actually liked the fact that they drew a distinct line between "big setpiece cinematic bosses" that were generally easy enough to oneshot so that it didn't ruin the cinematic flow, vs the actually-hard-fight-but-mostly-visually-identical valkyries that don't have "phases" and use the same abilities throughout the fight and you just have to learn them

The valks as bosses were infuriating but fair, but there aren't many things more irritating than having a 3-phase "cinematic" boss where you see the first two phases over and over and over again because you keep dying on the third

I'm not talking about the side content, I mean the endless parade of technicolour trolls the game throws at you as story bosses.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thoatse posted:

fidelity af

landing succssfl

Wow, they literally have no loving flight model in this stupid fuckin' piece of poo poo.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of X has a stack of planes that come with the base modules, and extra "premium" planes that are basically 1:1 recreations of actual flying aircraft from World War 2. For the amount of love and care they put into them, the most expensive plane in an incredibly niche combat simulation game costs... twenty-five loving dollars. https://il2sturmovik.com/store/collector-planes/

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Three generations of nurses in my family; dinner time used to be a place for the word 'prolapse', so I now have body dysmorphia issues and a mechanical working knowledge of the meatsack I never wanted.

What I'm saying is that medics have the darkest, blackest and most basic sense of humor you've seen this side of mortuary worker.*

* ditto for surgeons, doctors, paramedics and policemen. Coping mechanisms often involve humor.

Not to steal Titanic's shtick, but I can confirm this. I have a couple of friends who are doctors and I don't know anyone else who will just bring out the same level of jokes, even at dinner time :stare:

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

G0RF posted:

All I know is what I learned from Relay. the two parties entered a bed. One pooped. Big time. And it wasn’t CIG...

OR WAS IT?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Even knowing nothing about Norse mythology every goddamn beat and "twist" in this supposedly incredible and moving story is visible from a million miles away.

Norse mythology isn't exactly the most interesting thing in the world to begin with, if you ask me.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Just run it on an emulator PCMasterRace

I am legit curious about how difficult it would be to emulate a PS4 when it's mostly just an AMD x86-64 CPU and Radeon GPU. At least it would not require translating instruction sets and all that jazz.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

mrking posted:

Oh crap... that's a real tweet. I thought it was a parody or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Its worth pointing out that the "face over IP" thing they're touting here was done in Everquest 2, many years ago

E: "Please get off the loading screen!" is amazing :allears:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 15, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BTW, are they already pre-selling the camera? IIRC they wanted to open up for pre-orders in februrary?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zaphod42 posted:

Its worth pointing out that the "face over IP" thing they're touting here was done in Everquest 2, many years ago

E: "Please get off the loading screen!" is amazing :allears:
Done and abandoned as a novelty that most of the playerbase turned off and ignored to the degree that they now seem unsure of exactly when it stopped working entirely.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Nothing for the 42 commando? Dumb again Gooniflas.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
It's pretty fuckkin :sad: that after all these yeasrs we still can't make a hairy roberts

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Bofast posted:

Not to steal Titanic's shtick, but I can confirm this. I have a couple of friends who are doctors and I don't know anyone else who will just bring out the same level of jokes, even at dinner time :stare:

Bomb Disposal/EOD guys have a pretty bleak sense of humor. I remember the outrage over some guy afflicted with the Good Idea Fairy wanted to get rid of EOD's "Initial success or total failure" Motto because it was demoralizing to newbies.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Thoatse posted:

fidelity af

landing succssfl

my fearless forecast for this is that mobile version of SPERG CITIZEN will be out first

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

YOUTUbE: GamerMax anticipates the terrifying possibilities of a player rating system

:lol::lol::lol:

Lordy this had me cackling! GamerMax has a crippling case of B’Tak Syndrome, but fears not the death of self but rather the death of reputation. His proposed solution to potential character assassination as act of trolling is even more hysterical...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

B'tak quietly clips though his bed, emerging into a familiar, yet still painfully daunting bed chamber. A thousand times he had been here, yes, but there was always the ever present threat of the OTHER. B'tak relished the long, 10 fps jerk it took him to reach his locker, knowing that he'd have ample time to quickly unplug his router were he to encounter another Citizen.

After a laborious few minutes of equipping himself, B'tak couldn't help but to feel naked, which is natural considering 90% of his equipment wasn't modeled, and he now wandered about the desolate station as a half ghost man. All in all, this was normal, and normal was good for B'tak.

Upon finally reaching the central hub of the station, B'tak approached the docking computer. Uttering a quiet prayer, he dared USE.

Star Citizen crashed, and B'tak breathed a sigh of relief. Another successful day in the verse.