Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Pops Mgee posted:

Witwer is fine in the cartoons, but I wish they’d gone with Serafinowicz. His voice is soooo much better.

His voice does tend to do things to people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emh75AYxnzk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
More importantly, though, is his sheer range

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPhsON-DUYQ

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The RoTJ synopsis really should include Chewie swinging from a vine while doing the Tarzan yell.

And ewoks piloting a walker.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I remember way back in 05 when ROTS spoilers started leaking and people on the official Star Wars forums were sooooo pissed when they found out there were more Wookiee tarzan yells. Funny stuff.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I absolutely adored RotJ as a kid and don't really mind the silliness today either. My biggest problem is that the plot and characters just seem very basic, even compared to the first Star Wars. It's still a fun movie, but I'd rate it below SW and tESB.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Renoistic posted:

I absolutely adored RotJ as a kid and don't really mind the silliness today either. My biggest problem is that the plot and characters just seem very basic, even compared to the first Star Wars. It's still a fun movie, but I'd rate it below SW and tESB.

Endor could be better but the whole Vader/Emperor/Luke supblot and the Space battle are really well done.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
When I was younger, the forest battle and the Death Star attack were the main attraction and the stuff with Luke and the Emperor was just "the talkie bit". Took me a long time to realise that "the talkie bit" is the crux of the entire film, if not the trilogy, and everything else is just fluff.

(Good fluff, mind. I'm still awed by just how loving hard everyone at ILM must have worked to pull it all off with early-80s technology.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Captain Splendid posted:

More importantly, though, is his sheer range

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPhsON-DUYQ

It's so weird seeing someone do that many impressions of people I've never heard of. Are the not clearly fictional people in this real? I don't even know.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

It's so weird seeing someone do that many impressions of people I've never heard of. Are the not clearly fictional people in this real? I don't even know.

Sir Hugh Dash-Hyphen was one of my favorite actors growing up, my mom constantly watched his movies. It's a pretty good take on him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

That's just mean

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Pops Mgee posted:

I remember way back in 05 when ROTS spoilers started leaking and people on the official Star Wars forums were sooooo pissed when they found out there were more Wookiee tarzan yells. Funny stuff.

wait is there not in the kashyyyykkk battle scene?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ginette Reno posted:

Endor could be better but the whole Vader/Emperor/Luke supblot and the Space battle are really well done.

The Emperor stuff in ROTJ is REALLY good, but the Endor stuff brings the whole film down and stops it from being perfect.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

s.i.r.e. posted:

The Emperor stuff in ROTJ is REALLY good, but the Endor stuff brings the whole film down and stops it from being perfect.

I also feel like the movie suffers from making sure every character has something to do at all times.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That plot summary sounds pretty scattershot, but it honestly sounds better then what expected it to be (heist movie with han's gf betraying him to help the rebels making him jaded).

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
On the subject of RotJ, yeah the second act is a little slow but it's not outright bad. And the other two acts more than make up for any shortcomings. While I'm not the biggest fan of the Ewoks I think the hate for them is way out of proportion. Star Wars has had cutesy things causing trouble since ANH. Hell R2D2 is literally a cute thing that gets into highjinks and he's in the first scene of the franchise. Sometimes I think the Ewok hate might just be our cultures belief you're not allowed to like thing unironically unless they're "mature" enough.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Eeeeeeh. There's nothing wrong with the Ewoks, the one ewok trying to wake up his dead friend is one of the best parts. But the second act sucks and the Endor part of the finale is really lifeless. The effects for the Death Star run are cool but its hard to care about what's going on since it's a retread of the finale of Star Wars. A lot of the film is just shot and staged really lazily too.

Jabba's Palace rules and the Throne Room rules but ROTJ is like tied for fifth best Star Wars film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so have we already been over the fact that Lando's robot girlfriend is named "13-37"?

that's way more dumb than the "Solo" gag.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

kidkissinger posted:

I also feel like the movie suffers from making sure every character has something to do at all times.

Except Han, who gets rescued and opens a door on Endor and absolutely nothing else.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

Eeeeeeh. There's nothing wrong with the Ewoks, the one ewok trying to wake up his dead friend is one of the best parts. But the second act sucks and the Endor part of the finale is really lifeless. The effects for the Death Star run are cool but its hard to care about what's going on since it's a retread of the finale of Star Wars. A lot of the film is just shot and staged really lazily too.

The three-parties-acting-at-once third act thing didn't work in Jedi, and I really dislike how it informed some of the movies that followed. Like, in Phantom Menace there was the lightsaber fight, the Naboo fight and the star war, in Force Awakens there was a similar structure. The constant cutting to Endor kills the tension.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LesterGroans posted:

Eeeeeeh. There's nothing wrong with the Ewoks, the one ewok trying to wake up his dead friend is one of the best parts.

Good ol' Corpsey.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Timby posted:

The three-parties-acting-at-once third act thing didn't work in Jedi, and I really dislike how it informed some of the movies that followed. Like, in Phantom Menace there was the lightsaber fight, the Naboo fight and the star war, in Force Awakens there was a similar structure. The constant cutting to Endor kills the tension.

disagree

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

Hey! I watched the RLM reviews too!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

You missed one. There was the lighsaber fight, the Gungans against the droid army, Padme storming the Throne room, and the star war. It really was too much, and I think they agree, because Attack of the Clones didn't get so spread out for the finale. Yeah you had a few things going on, but usually not at the same time.

I think it's just fine in ROTJ. Three things going on at once seems to be the limit, I guess.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 15, 2018

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Me go too far.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hey! I watched the RLM reviews too!

I don't think I've watched anything from RLM in, like, a decade.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is making GBS threads on RLM still the cool SA thing to do for some reason?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

banned from Starbucks posted:

It seems to be the cool thing to do in general. A lot of people have turned on them recently. Probably as a result of the sequels trilogy soullessness getting people to notice the good aspects of the prequels. And as the big prequel bashers RLM becomes sacrificed on the altar of popular hate.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yup, it's popular so goons gotta hate. Don't even tell me that your opinions are in line with them because you're just parroting whatever they say!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I wasn't bashing them, I was just commenting that I've also seen those immensely popular Youtubes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

galagazombie posted:

It seems to be the cool thing to do in general. A lot of people have turned on them recently. Probably as a result of the sequels trilogy soullessness getting people to notice the good aspects of the prequels. And as the big prequel bashers RLM becomes sacrificed on the altar of popular hate.

I don't think this is really a widespread thing, to be honest. I mean, most of the people I know who don't like the new movies tend to throw the words "as bad as than the prequels" around a lot. :shrug:

I think most normal people (i.e. people who go to see Star Wars movies in the cinema and like Star Wars but aren't part of the "Star Wars fandom") think they're all of a muchness. I'm pretty sure that prequel hate was more of a fandom thing or an Internet meme in any event. I don't think most moviegoers hated the prequels; didn't like them as much as the original ones at worst.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I disliked RLM before it was cool to do so.

Seriously though, to each his own, but I've never found them funny. I studied one year or movie production and there was a lot of them thrown about in my social media feed. Only time I was really entertained by them was when they ripped apart Jack & Jill.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love them but their hatred for TLJ is stupid as hell and I’m annoyed about them shoving into every video.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

I love them but their hatred for TLJ is stupid as hell and I’m annoyed about them shoving into every video.

Yeah, same. Also their complaints about Rogue One are kinda naff as well.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yup, it's popular so goons gotta hate. Don't even tell me that your opinions are in line with them because you're just parroting whatever they say!

My God, the persecution complex is real.

RLM sucks and always has sucked, sorry some of us aren’t as entertained by forced memes

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't mind RLM. I'm not sure why people treat them like they're the gospel truth or something, though. You know, did you ever see an Internet forum where people are saying, "Well, I think I'll need to wait and see what RLM has to say!"? I know I have.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

RLM's good for those old Plinkett reviews and their features on crappy B-films. They're a bit up their own rear end about modern blockbusters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cross-Section posted:

RLM's good for those old Plinkett reviews and their features on crappy B-films. They're a bit up their own rear end about modern blockbusters.

Often, but Jay usually has pre' good opinions on mid/low budget stuff. And I thought they were right on about Infinity War.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

I guess some goons are jealous that they'll never be that funny?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

The old Plinkett reviews are great when they’re not doing the “Plinkett is a serial killer hahaha” jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/solo_a_star_wars_story/reviews/

Reviews are live.