Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

lurksion posted:

Yes, it's a fun weapon and I immediately created a hireling to use it after picking it up from the location others have described. Don't see much use for the other two uniques from the same location though.

The warbow is insane. No recovery every time you crit lets you do very nasty things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I keep crashing everytime I go near the forge entrance in fort deadlight. I guess I could just leave? I dunno

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/WorldofEternity/status/996176490948538368

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

They hosed up their link delete the tweet and resend it guys.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Avalerion posted:

Welp, nice knowing you Pallegina.

Does it give any bonuses in ship combat?

Sort of. Spoilers about what Rauatai are up to, I guess:

It's a pretty standard ship with fixed slots. Your hull is good but not spectacular, and you can't upgrade anything, including the parts like captain's quarters, lamps, and so on. It's ... not bad, but an upgraded Junk or Galleon is better and takes less damage, due either to sinking the enemy faster or getting to boarding range faster.

You get two main benefits:
1. You have a dive command which works as a safe and immediate retreat from any naval combat.
2. You don't have sails or deck crew for the enemy to shoot at, which simplifies combat somewhat.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

What the gently caress you can get pet bear cubs in this game?! Why the hell did y'all make a pig when we could of had a bear!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm playing this game all wrong. I should have rolled a Druid/Rogue named Sir Bearington.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Milli posted:

What the gently caress you can get pet bear cubs in this game?! Why the hell did y'all make a pig when we could of had a bear!

It's a little hard to tell but in

each of the 5 ranger/druids has both a bear companion and a cub mini pet out. Which you can't do in game: fake advertising. :(

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Finished the game in 47 hours at level 19. I assume that there is no way to stop Eothas from breaking the wheel? Also, I can't figure out how the world worked before the Engwithians built the wheel and created the gods, my understanding is that new souls aren't made, so how did newborns get a soul?
I thought I had done all the story stuff but based on the endslides there is some sort of fampyr quest in the southeastern part of the map I missed.

Overall I thought it was a great game and am improvement over the first game in pretty much every way.

My only real criticism is that the companion quests are too short, and I would have preferred the main story be longer also. Of course the game has plenty of content, a lot more than the first game but I wouldn't have minded if there was less of that.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Oasx posted:

I assume that there is no way to stop Eothas from breaking the wheel? Also, I can't figure out how the world worked before the Engwithians built the wheel and created the gods, my understanding is that new souls aren't made, so how did newborns get a soul?

I thought I had done all the story stuff but based on the endslides there is some sort of fampyr quest in the southeastern part of the map I missed.

Yeah, I missed that particular quest too. Oh well, something for game 2. Anyhow, redacted ending slides discussion:

Oh, the Fampyr quest has an achievement associated with it I think.

Anyhow, way I read it was the reincarnation cycle was always a thing, the Engwithians just redirected all the souls to pass through Ukaizo. Then they built a literal dam and a power plant to harness the soul river, in order to generate enough soul power to run their gods on. Eothas smashes the power plant which causes all the souls to accumulate in the dam until someone clears the blockage. Far as I can tell there's no ending where you stop him, which makes sense since he's a giant glowing statue man on a mission from god and you're just a tiny sack of water.

That's not spelled out but it works for me. There was a big thread on the official forums on how that particular aspect of the ending is an evil terrible retcon plothole and bad writing, which seems like a big stretch for something that's just ... not explained. It's not like it's particularly clear what a soul is in Eora either and we seem to all be able to roll with that.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Can someone explain how naval combat works? first time it happens I manage to shoot all the pirate galleons sails down to zero, but it can still move? we were next to each other facing opposite directions and I use full speed ahead to try and escape but the distance between our ships doesn't actually change at all, what the hell happened there? and why could they still do basically anything when I'd graeshot their crew down to three guys left alive?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

King Doom posted:

Can someone explain how naval combat works? first time it happens I manage to shoot all the pirate galleons sails down to zero, but it can still move? we were next to each other facing opposite directions and I use full speed ahead to try and escape but the distance between our ships doesn't actually change at all, what the hell happened there? and why could they still do basically anything when I'd graeshot their crew down to three guys left alive?

Close to board

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Without spoiling too much, is there any good reaction to a Priest of Eothas (or of Berath) in the game? I want to do a Priest/Paladin, or Priest/Fighter MC next run and I'm not sure. Or I could just do a Priest of Skaen/Bleak Walker and go full evil but that feels a little too cliché.

Still pretty bummed that I can't really be a Priest of Berath and evil. I wanted to play Raedric 2.0.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Milli posted:

Because the name comes from a bugged pig in the PoE1 beta who was yelling "bark string." Making it a cub would have killed the reference, and the cuteness wouldn't have offset that I feel.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Furism posted:

Without spoiling too much, is there any good reaction to a Priest of Eothas (or of Berath) in the game? I want to do a Priest/Paladin, or Priest/Fighter MC next run and I'm not sure. Or I could just do a Priest of Skaen/Bleak Walker and go full evil but that feels a little too cliché.

Still pretty bummed that I can't really be a Priest of Berath and evil. I wanted to play Raedric 2.0.

Priest of Eothas has 14 unique dialogue options throughout the game, Priest of Berath has 12. So, you'll definitely get some bonus content but it's not like being an Island Aumaua or from the Deadfire, where it comes up in every other goddamn conversation.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Are priest deities chained to dispositions? That seems really weird and bad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dan Didio posted:

That seems really weird and bad.

How so?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

For those of you who were curious about whether Maia will stay on if you side with the Valians: she has a very large dialogue tree at the point-of-no-return, so I assume there's some combination of choices that can get her to stay. She left me because I had a Shady 2 rep, which I think I got from... lying to someone, once? Tomorrow I'll remove it using the Unity console and see if that changes anything.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I had a Shady 2 rep, which I think I got from... lying to someone, once?

The rep system is supposedly not working as intended currently*, it's incredibly easy to get a detrimental rep from a single, non-critical dialogue choice. Also, there's no feat that removes the penalty for having the wrong rep, so there's no way to compensate other then to cheat and use the Unity console.

*or maybe it's the companion approval system? both?

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 15, 2018

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Dan Didio posted:

Are priest deities chained to dispositions? That seems really weird and bad.

I'm not sure but I think it's supposed to impact the Power Level of spells if you get the disposition very high/low, I think? Sounds like it should. But Dispositions also impact what Paladin Orders you can pick. Ie: I can't be Priest of Berath and a Bleak Walker because they have mutually exclusive dispositions.

e: typo.

Furism fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 15, 2018

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Belief is interpreted and practiced in many different ways, and the disposition system is not finessed enough to come close to replicating them. By contrast, Paladins in Pillars believe in specific ideals, not specific concepts or entities and have less room to offer personal interpretations of their ideals, so a disposition based buff makes more sense.

Furism posted:

I'm not sure but I think it's supposed to impact the Power Level of spells if you the disposition very high/low, I think?

That makes more sense, as if it's the god in question passing judgement over how you worship them. I kind of like that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dan Didio posted:

Belief is interpreted and practiced in many different ways, and the disposition system is not finessed enough to come close to replicating them.

It’s not just about belief. How a priest conducts themselves is part of how they worship, and their god’s desires for their worship affect the powers bestowed.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Someday I am gonna get 9th level spells and my magic missiles will blot out the sun. It really feels like the exp is kinda scraping thin for me though. I'm only level 15 and am low on quests. Feels like it's pretty hard to hit the level cap until the game is over.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I’m extremely confused by the end.

Kind of annoyed Obsidian made the last boss some pissed off captain instead of anything compelling. Feels like I accomplished jack poo poo in the main plot and everything important was side quests. Also I thought the Wheel existed before the Engwithans? They’ve got murals of the reincarnation cycle in the very first area in Pillars 1. Did they make that poo poo as a loving prank before they died? How did life work before the Wheel?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

It’s not just about belief. How a priest conducts themselves is part of how they worship, and their god’s desires for their worship affect the powers bestowed.

Yeah, I like that idea.

Dan Didio posted:

That makes more sense, as if it's the god in question passing judgement over how you worship them. I kind of like that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SunAndSpring posted:

I’m extremely confused by the end.

Kind of annoyed Obsidian made the last boss some pissed off captain instead of anything compelling. Feels like I accomplished jack poo poo in the main plot and everything important was side quests. Also I thought the Wheel existed before the Engwithans? They’ve got murals of the reincarnation cycle in the very first area in Pillars 1. Did they make that poo poo as a loving prank before they died? How did life work before the Wheel?

Thaos made it pretty clear the Wheel existed before hand, it seems like the Engwithans just rewired the circuit through Ukaizo so to speak.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Just found an amazing item going through the console (the Serpent's Crown: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/927057872005360696/0CF094D671461E416B932D30B23E2BD46D4118AF/ )

Is there a way to get that hat "legitimately" or do you need to go full Murder Hobo in the throne room?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just found an amazing item going through the console (the Serpent's Crown: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/927057872005360696/0CF094D671461E416B932D30B23E2BD46D4118AF/ )

Is there a way to get that hat "legitimately" or do you need to go full Murder Hobo in the throne room?

Wow that looks amazing for a 2H Barbarian. Bitch I'd look fabulous.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I mean, if that violates your definition of "legitimately", then no. At least one of the factions has you assassinate her, so it's not as if it's JUST there for murderhobos.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Endgame spoiler:
Murdering the queen and thereby obtaining her hat is a Rauatai quest. Possibly (probably?) other factions too.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Faction alignment spoiler
If you align yourself with the Royal Deadfire Company they require you to kill the queen, this is before the point of no return, so you can just get and use it there

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
nemnok is probably the most memorable villain i've seen so far in this game. trolling him furiously then beating him and eder and my character going all :3: on him were great.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
One thing I noticed generating items with the console:

There isn't parity between stat bonuses among the items. Like, there are a lot more +con bonuses than anything else. +Might seems to be the rarest, relatively. I'm not sure if that was a deliberate balancing choice or if they're just leaving room for expansion pack items.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Thank you whoever suggested putting all those super quick cast wizard self buffs into an ai set with their timers.

Total cast time for all 3 is .9 seconds with 0.0 cool down. Faster than I could ever do it. It's almost like chain contingency from BG2.

FYI for Infuse With Vital Essence, since it gives fit and strong inspiration you could set up your AI to be Self: Has Inspiration - Constitution AND Self: Has Inspiration - Might and select the "not" checkbox for both. That way you'll only cast that buff if you're not currently already under those effects. That might save you a spell slot use. Same is true for any other inspiration type buffs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

At the same time, you might also want to consider whether you need those unless your Wizard is getting dunked on and can instead use those slots for some sweet damage or crowd control. I couldn't find it, but is there a "Self: Being attacked" condition? I think the closest I could come up with was being engaged, which doesn't help if you're getting shot. Maybe health < 75 or 50%?

AI scripting is weirdly fun, although I need to do more experimentation for AOEs. Do they by default avoid attacking your own people? If you set it to "maximize number of enemies" will it throw a Fireball on the ground rather than targeting a specific enemy? This might be why I use Tekehu as my AOE dude over Aloth, since Foe only AOE is the poo poo.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Suffering from the same problem in Whispers of Yenwood show up, but not Blade of the Endless Paths. What's the easiest way to cheat in the shards, so I can go through the process of restoring it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GrandpaPants posted:

At the same time, you might also want to consider whether you need those unless your Wizard is getting dunked on and can instead use those slots for some sweet damage or crowd control. I couldn't find it, but is there a "Self: Being attacked" condition? I think the closest I could come up with was being engaged, which doesn't help if you're getting shot. Maybe health < 75 or 50%?

AI scripting is weirdly fun, although I need to do more experimentation for AOEs. Do they by default avoid attacking your own people? If you set it to "maximize number of enemies" will it throw a Fireball on the ground rather than targeting a specific enemy? This might be why I use Tekehu as my AOE dude over Aloth, since Foe only AOE is the poo poo.

Yeah, I only pick foe aoe powers. The scripting is solid but there are lots of weak spots. It's not smart enough to not hit allies, or not cast on immune targets, etc.

Self buffing wizards are a useful trick but best with nature godlikes. You only have so many casting slots and many fights last a very long time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In my current messing-around playthrough I haven't been using Aloth much, since I wanted to take both Tekehu and Maia with me and I wasn't about to ditch Eder or Pallegina. I switched Aloth in for a fight where I thought some extra AoE would be helpful and god drat did I miss having a Wizard. Druid has good AoE damage (I love the lingering storm AoEs that hit enemies with stunning lightning bolts) but Wizard just dances all over Druid when it comes to CC.

How's Cipher this time around? I haven't messed around with Serafen much, but I played a Cipher in PoE1 and loved it. Is it pretty much the same situation, where a high-level Cipher is basically a walking nightmare of just chain-knockdowns and disintegration?

Also I'm very tempted to make my "real playthrough" Watcher a godlike (Nature is strongest obviously but I like how Moon looks better) but I just can't shake my personal aversion to making my main character too "special." Like it's not enough that I'm a Watcher and also the Herald of Berath, but also I'm a very special god-themed mutant too? It's a dumb thing I guess but I have this weird gut-level aversion to "chosen one" stories already and that's like triple chosen one.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

It's not smart enough to not hit allies

Not 100%, no, but "Target: Allies in melee range > 0" as a NOT is often enough in my experience.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

King Doom posted:

I dunno if this is spoilers or not, but here is my take on ship combat, which I have done for a few hours at least.

I have jut been pirating around, because I wanted the Master Capt. Blessing. All in the basic sloop with a couple of cheap upgrades and long range cannon. I think what you are seeing might be the effects of the report! command. Watch where they are going. You and they can repair sails, flooding, loose cargo, and heal to some extent I think, etc. I think that after you wipe their sails they have some time to repair and it’s doesn’t show up in the stats maybe. I have gotten ships to be dead in the water, but only by everyone on board being injured and the sails being toast before assigned to repairs at the same time.

Also, always hold position if you can before firing. It radically improves your accuracy. Bracing less so, it has seemed to me. Mostly I use the long range cannons at around 500m. I also have found that for the most part the grapeshot and chain are not entirely worth it, especially when outgunned. Mostly what they do is force the opposing ship to waste turns using report while you reload, which happens anyway with accurate fire.

Your crew ranks make a big difference as does morale, it seems. So rank up the crew and replacements. Always keep all the replacements slots full in case you have to repair, or have injuries. Keep them fed and everything stocked. When you get a red indicator like Sails, Cargo or Hull use report to assign crew to repairs immediately.

I haven’t made a short range ship yet, but in theory you could make a fire breather, double bronzer or something that could get under long range guns. The long range guns completely loose accuracy if too close, though cannons seem to retain some accuracy when beyond range. Either way you are playing with keeping your ship in a 100m buffer... 500-600 or 0-100. They get past 600 and sail away. They get to 0 and board, which almost never goes well (for me at least).

If you sell everything in addition to the coin you get it’s ok money, but slow and neglects the primary leveling of your party. On the other hand you can terrorize the seas for the most part with a low level party and Sloop. Just hang near Nek or in a shipping lane. Their are only a few Galleons and such that can eat your sloop, but you can take most of them. And the raiders up north will always try to board and are devastating to a low level party. They can one shot you upon boarding.

My main criticism is that it’s too binary. You always end the battle by hitting the powder magazine. Non-crew are impervious to cannon fire. You get loot, but never any ship salvage. I don’t so much mind the simple text based interface, though of course it could be done a lot of different ways that would be more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Harrow posted:

How's Cipher this time around? I haven't messed around with Serafen much, but I played a Cipher in PoE1 and loved it. Is it pretty much the same situation, where a high-level Cipher is basically a walking nightmare of just chain-knockdowns and disintegration?

I haven't gotten to high level Cipher play, but at level 10, Whispers of Treason is the MVP spell since it lasts loving forever, to the extent that I wonder why combat hasn't ended and it's because things are still charmed. Also, the last enemy standing doesn't get immediately uncharmed like they did in POE1. I like Whispers more than Puppet Master since 1) Puppet Master's ludicrously short cast time has been removed, 2) Whispers costs less than PM and 3) Whispers is at a longer range than PM. Mental Binding got nerfed though, to being super short duration, so no more easy focus building on things that can't fight back against a blunderbuss barrage.