Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Since Will Smith is a producer, season 2 is gonna have Jayden and Willow coming in as a 3rd dojo led by Jackie Chan, and the final episode will be an epic brawl before the Scientology aliens show up.

Will Smith shows up in a black suit, puts on his sunglasses and says "Welcome to Earth."

[cut to Cobra Kai logo]

Season 3
Cobra Kai: I Am Independence Day in Black After Earth
Coming 2020!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Only if Jaden fights in the all valley tourny in that white batman outfit he wore to prom or whatever.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This show is way better than it has any right to be. How everything turned out at the tournament in the end is great story telling and I'm onboard for season 2.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I would have preferred it if Cobra Kai hadn't done as well as they did establishing that attitude isn't everything and years of practice and discipline also matter. You could have had the whole thing play out exactly the same way on the undercard matches, have Miguel beat Rocky in the quarterfinals then get stomped in the semis. Would have given them more room to grow.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I would have preferred it if Cobra Kai hadn't done as well as they did establishing that attitude isn't everything and years of practice and discipline also matter. You could have had the whole thing play out exactly the same way on the undercard matches, have Miguel beat Rocky in the quarterfinals then get stomped in the semis. Would have given them more room to grow.

I kinda felt the ending worked for Johnny more than anything. He's learning miyagi-do through observation and finally realizing why Cobra Kai philosophy is broken. Here he sees his adoptive son become triumphant by "fighting dirty" against his own flesh and blood son who Johnny wishes he could be a better father towards (and in turn not be a shitbag dad like the dad he had).

Miguel also has regrets in that Cobra Kai gave him the ability to overcome his bullies and gains confidence but the adoption of the "no mercy" attitude made him lose the affection of someone he liked.

In the end the victory at the tournament is a Pyrrhic victory for both Johnny and Miguel, more so for Johnny. Johnny is coming to the realization that while he did a good thing for these kids he's turning them into assholes (reflections of himself that he realizes he doesn't like and also realizing that he may in fact be perpetuating a cycle of abuse he himself was subjected to) while Miguel is slowly realizing that he may have "won" but he didn't walk away with the prize he wanted. There are plenty of chances in season 2 for both of these characters to reflect back on the event and grow.

G-III fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 15, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it may be an old hat message now but i really liked how the finale underlined the point that a romantic relationship with Sam wasn't something any of the other teen characters could 'win' at the karate tourney

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

zeal posted:

it may be an old hat message now but i really liked how the finale underlined the point that a romantic relationship with Sam wasn't something any of the other teen characters could 'win' at the karate tourney

You know what? That's awesome, and I hadn't picked up on it, but you're right. There's the karate story, there's the romance stories, and ne'er the twain shall meet. There wasn't even any romantic rivalry, other than in Miguel's mind; Robbie heard that Sam had a boyfriend, and left it at that, and never really put any moves on her.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TheScottAdkins/status/994267871541899264

god i love that guy

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

It’s kinda silly that Zabka doesn’t get top billing on IMDB. He doesn’t even crack top 4

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

His first couple of lines are delivered a little wonky so I thought it was gonna be hard to watch, but then he just knocks it out of the park all the way through. It really is a great show.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I hope next season the rest of the town and the tournament organizers join in on bashing Larusso.

Robbie entered the tournament unaffiliated. So from the point of view of the crowd Daniel sees a kid get to the finals all on his own before he benevolently offers to 'coach' him and score a win for Miyagi-do karate and hang out again in the winners circle. What a glory hog amirite?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm agreeing with a reluctant Johnny/Daniel teamup in the middle of the season. The rivalry would resume when and if they kick Kreese out of the valley. I'm looking forward to getting more or of the kids though. They needed the first season to get established and comfortable, but the main ones are really coming into their own, and I'd imagine the showrunners know that the students are the heart of the franchise.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I desire way more fat failson antics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

There's so many condiments left to drink!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Stop drinking the butter" made me lmao

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's the breakout character of 2018.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Next season in a Riverdalesque twist we'll learn his father is actually Cousin Louie.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm agreeing with a reluctant Johnny/Daniel teamup in the middle of the season. The rivalry would resume when and if they kick Kreese out of the valley. I'm looking forward to getting more or of the kids though. They needed the first season to get established and comfortable, but the main ones are really coming into their own, and I'd imagine the showrunners know that the students are the heart of the franchise.

I think there are things that Johnny could learn from Daniel and Miyagi's karate, and things Daniel could learn from the (reformed) Cobra Kai of Johnny. I'm hoping that they will team up and combine the two schools of karate into a whole vs Kreese. Maybe Kreese takes over the Cobra Kai name but Johnny and his students defect to Daniel's dojo and join forces and philosophies.

Solice Kirsk posted:

His first couple of lines are delivered a little wonky so I thought it was gonna be hard to watch, but then he just knocks it out of the park all the way through. It really is a great show.

He's so good, it's a shame he's been in so little over the past 30 years. At the same time, it made his character more real, as we were really seeing him for the first time in decades, just like we were Johnny.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
lol Youtube is making Youtube Red music only, and charging $2 more to get Youtube Premium, which gives you ad-free videos and to watch their original content.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
/me double-checks the reminder to cancel YouTube red before the 30-day trial runs out.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Jose Oquendo posted:

lol Youtube is making Youtube Red music only, and charging $2 more to get Youtube Premium, which gives you ad-free videos and to watch their original content.

That story might—MIGHT—be a little faulty. I googled it and found this piece by Recode which claims the price is going up from $9.99 to $11.99. This Engadget piece says the same thing: $10 to $12. Now the thing is, I had already burned my free month of YT Red so I spent money to see this show, and as it turns out? It cost me $12.99, so, uh, what the gently caress, YouTube?

Either way, it appears the story here is that they’re rebranding YouTube Red as YouTube Premium, and are offering a cheaper option for those who just want to stream / download ad-free music.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

They should just make these episodes available to purchase with/without a youtube red subscription. I have no doubt that folks will cancel their subs and sign up again when season 2 starts up. There is no legitimate reason to subscribe to youtube red except for this show

G-III fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 17, 2018

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah I browsed the other Original content to try and give the service a chance before cancelling my trial until next season and holy poo poo it is all just loving garbage. like good lord.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mandrel posted:

yeah I browsed the other Original content to try and give the service a chance before cancelling my trial until next season and holy poo poo it is all just loving garbage. like good lord.

Well, they know they got you for season 2, so they've got a year to develop their slate so that when you do come back, they'll have more of an incentive for you to keep it around. Ostensibly, this is a long game.

Of course, they could sit around with their thumbs up their asses for the next year, but we won't know until we know.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just get it free because I got it with Google Play music. I guess that's going away?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Astroman posted:

I just get it free because I got it with Google Play music. I guess that's going away?

quote:

Current YouTube Red and Google Play Music subscribers in the U.S., Australia, South Korea, New Zealand and Mexico will continue to get the features they already enjoy at the same price they pay today.
https://youtube.googleblog.com/2018/05/youtube-music-new-music-streaming.html

:shrug:

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Daniel jerks himself off over being a "two-time valley champ" but so was Johnny? He won it in his sophomore/junior year according to dialogue right?

I rewatched Karate Kid II/III and Daniel is a complete dick to people just like he was in the first one. He's got the most punchable face.

After Kreese tells his students not to "bully" Daniel in Part I, he makes a point to smugly talk poo poo to their face and put moves on Johnny's ex in front of him.

Loved these movies as a kid, but drat I could relate so much more to Johnny in this series.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Daniel was petulant in III, but I think it was a lot more understandable given what was being done to him between the intimidation and manipulation (Christ that guy was an amazing villain). If anything it kind of broke Miyagi's character. Pacifism and balance and all, but he was blind and unmoving in the face of context.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Johnny was a goddamn saint for even saying "You're all right, LaRusso" after Daniel beat him in a tournament he didn't know the rules of and for which he was vastly underleveled with an OP move that he had his uncle cheat code in for him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's what I don't get. Daniel got a "you're all right Larusso" and watched Johnny get assaulted by his psychopath teacher and yet he's holding this dude he probably hasn't encountered for decades accountable for poo poo that he didn't even do. Danny's a bitch made punk. Robby is gonna be a bitch made punk for following him. Our only hope is that Sam and failed cum son turn out to be more like their mom.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Not for nothing, but that's also an accurate display of quality disparity between Cobra Kai and everything else on Red. Like the only thing even worth checking out at all is the Poppy show and there's only one episode of that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They have another “actual” show coming out that's based on one of those Jumper books. Impulse.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

precision posted:

Johnny was a goddamn saint for even saying "You're all right, LaRusso" after Daniel beat him in a tournament he didn't know the rules of and for which he was vastly underleveled with an OP move that he had his uncle cheat code in for him.

That was retconned for the show. In the movie Johnny gets crane kicked and crawls to the edge of the mat then gets up. In the show he lays face first.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Finally got around to watching this and god drat this show was so much better than it had any right to be. Acting wasn't the best but it was perfect for what it was. Writing was a million times better than I thought it would be too. It also did a good job balancing the "millennials are snowflakes" with the 80s chauvinistic machismo.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Not for nothing, but that's also an accurate display of quality disparity between Cobra Kai and everything else on Red. Like the only thing even worth checking out at all is the Poppy show and there's only one episode of that.

logan paul is the finest young actor of his generation you loving bastard

e: oh it turns out they've given him the boot. that's two good things from red then

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 19, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, YouTube red has a spotty track record with its homegrown stars.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yeah, YouTube red has a spotty track record with its homegrown stars.

Because to be the king of Youtube your heart needs to made out of garbage.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
from what I gather they don't even explain why the Jackie Chan Kung Fu China is still called Karate Kid since I didnt watch it. I feel like this show could address that without being preachy. Hell have Jackie Chan show up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's what I don't get. Daniel got a "you're all right Larusso" and watched Johnny get assaulted by his psychopath teacher and yet he's holding this dude he probably hasn't encountered for decades accountable for poo poo that he didn't even do. Danny's a bitch made punk. Robby is gonna be a bitch made punk for following him. Our only hope is that Sam and failed cum son turn out to be more like their mom.

The mom is obviously the brains of the family and is really practical

• Locked thread