Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Octy posted:

I had a hard time telling most of the officers apart, especially once they all started cultivating grizzly beards.

same, and I’m a bearded white guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg9Z3EyJ5DU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Jikes posted:

same, and I’m a bearded white guy

Wait, is this not a Tyler Perry style thing where all of the characters are played by the same actor????

mostly joking

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdNe-YG3PGY

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Neat. Also neat is watching the videos from prior to them finding them.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!

I didn’t really consider how many calories it would have taken to pull the sledges until watching this.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I feel like the Arby's "BBQ MEAT" ads as aired don't work with the subject matter.

*INTENSE CLOSEUP OF MEAT FIBERS*

edit - Carls Jr. also a culprit. barrrrrf

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 14, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Very cool, pre-discovery, documentary about the Franklin Expedition! I'll add this to the OP!

Vaporware posted:

I feel like the Arby's "BBQ MEAT" ads as aired don't work with the subject matter.

:perfect:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Took you fookin long enough...

STICK A FORK IN IT, MR BLANKY!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Did I miss it, or did Fitzjames die there? And I'm surprised Goodsir hasn't done an honor suicide to spite Hickey.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Shitenshi posted:

Did I miss it, or did Fitzjames die there? And I'm surprised Goodsir hasn't done an honor suicide to spite Hickey.

No need to spoil it. He died and was buried. I would have expected Goodsir to drug the meat, but he likely didn't have anything left. And what would be the point?

I honestly do not understand why Hickey's men would risk their lives just to get the captain. Beyond needless additional drama.
I can understand Hickey doing it because he's a monumental dick, but why would the men do it?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vaporware posted:

I'd rather eat hardee's any day than say McDonalds

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Hasselblad posted:

No need to spoil it. He died and was buried. I would have expected Goodsir to drug the meat, but he likely didn't have anything left. And what would be the point?

I honestly do not understand why Hickey's men would risk their lives just to get the captain. Beyond needless additional drama.
I can understand Hickey doing it because he's a monumental dick, but why would the men do it?

Gotta do somethin'

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Fartbox posted:

Gotta do somethin'

Nah, there was enough going on.

:geno: "Mr Hickey, we think we should return to the ship and sail out of here, leaving the monster bear to continue after the group we left"
:redass: "That sounds like a plan. However what if did not do that and instead you guys go risk your necks to kidnap the captain because ~reason~"
:geno: "But Mr Blanky will kick our arses!"
:redass: "It is worth the risk because *mumbles unintelligibly*"
:geno: "Um, well you haven't led us astray yet Mr Hickey, and your plot armor is godlike. Let's do it, pip pip!"

Hard to believe only one EP left. I hope Mr Blanky did some damage to the tuunbuq

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 15, 2018

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Wasn't even aware there was a "punished as a boy" smilie.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'd rather eat hardee's any day than say McDonalds

Not debating the quality. I actually love me some Hardee's/Arby's most of the time.

Following a rather intense cabalism scene... what advertising doofus ok'd that?
:wtc:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bitchymcjones posted:

I didn’t really consider how many calories it would have taken to pull the sledges until watching this.

The show really captured how agonizing the final days of the expedition would have been since some ice ridges can be up to 20 feet tall.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I want an alternate ending where Mr Blanky and Tuunbaq become grudgingly friends out of mutual badass respect, and Blanky rides on Tuunbaq's back having arctic adventures .

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Vaporware posted:

Not debating the quality. I actually love me some Hardee's/Arby's most of the time.

Following a rather intense cabalism scene... what advertising doofus ok'd that?
:wtc:

Back in an early season of the Walking Dead, one of the characters stabbed a guy then threw him into a horde of zombies; there was a close-up of the zombies ripping into the man’s torso, then it cut to a KFC commercial.

All the deaths were sad and handled well, Crozier seeing out Fitzjames, Jopson and Blanky were all really good (in the sense of acting and emotional weight), Blanky finding/marking the Northwest passage when he went off alone :(

And that second to last shot of Crozier’s crew doctor (can’t think of his name) laying down on the ground and curling up, followed by Lady Jane taking her shoes off to step into the snow was just so bleak and hopeless.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

LadyPictureShow posted:

All the deaths were sad and handled well, Crozier seeing out Fitzjames, Jopson and Blanky were all really good (in the sense of acting and emotional weight), Blanky finding/marking the Northwest passage when he went off alone :(

Hey, Neither in the book nor the show did Mr Blanky ever get killed. In the book, apparently Tuunbaq just gives him a big bear hug
Not murder unless there is a body. :colbert:
Syrio Forel and all that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't know if this counts as a spoiler, but one of my favorite book details is how chipper and happy Blanky is following his encounter/s with the creature, despite being crippled and scarred from it.

I much preferred Jopson's death in the show than the book. while both made me very sad, Crozier reversing things by caring for Jopson was much nicer than a dying Jopson thinking that Crozier had abandoned him despite his loyal service, and then was left to die by the men on his 31st birthday

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I much preferred Jopson's death in the show than the book. while both made me very sad, Crozier reversing things by caring for Jopson was much nicer than a dying Jopson thinking that Crozier had abandoned him despite his loyal service, and then was left to die by the men on his 31st birthday

there's still an episode to go...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hasselblad posted:

I want an alternate ending where Mr Blanky and Tuunbaq become grudgingly friends out of mutual badass respect, and Blanky rides on Tuunbaq's back having arctic adventures .

Read arctic as erotic.... god I need to some food and some sleep

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Erotic Adventures Of Tunbaaq And Blanky ... Coming Soon

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I finished the last half of the last episode. This show went from really cool to bad and dumb.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
What’s the deal with the rope and forks? :confused:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Pufferblanky!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

Read arctic as erotic.... god I need to some food and some sleep

Alternately, Blanky kills Tuunbaq, skins it and assumes it's fursona.

Cojawfee posted:

I finished the last half of the last episode. This show went from really cool to bad and dumb.

Can you be more specific? Beyond the ridiculous "hey lets have you minions kidnap the captain" part.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 16, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

different strokes for different folks, i guess. i felt like the last episode was one of the best in the whole run, but will ramble more about it next week when the series is finished.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Spoiling it just in case, Blankey is going to tie the forks on to himself and when he gets eaten the bear will have swallowed a bunch of sharp things that stab his insides.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know how far along the show is, I've seen up until around the middle of episode 10. I really enjoyed it until it went off the deep end and completely fell apart around episode 8. I really like the 1800s aesthetic but the mystical bear or whatever really pisses me off because nothing they do seems to even affect it.

Even if it was a regular giant rear end polar bear and not a mystical bear, they probably couldn't do much to touch it, fuckers have been recorded at 2 tons, an 1850's bullet isn't gonna do much to it nor even a small indirect cannon hit. Honestly I wouldn't even want to go up against one today with a modern assault rifle in good weather.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Even if it was a regular giant rear end polar bear and not a mystical bear, they probably couldn't do much to touch it, fuckers have been recorded at 2 tons, an 1850's bullet isn't gonna do much to it nor even a small indirect cannon hit. Honestly I wouldn't even want to go up against one today with a modern assault rifle in good weather.

The small arms the marines had would probably do more damage than you think (especially cumulatively) and likely less damage than I think. And if it was firing a single round shot those swivel guns in particular were capable of shooting roughly 1.5 inch projectiles which would most likely cause some serious and permanent damage on a normal bear, even one at 4k pounds. Of course the drat thing seemed to have super healing and preternatural cleverness because it was after all not a real bear.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Chad Ice Masters last laugh against the virgin Tuunbaq

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

etalian posted:

The Chad Ice Masters last laugh against the virgin Tuunbaq

He should have drunk enough rum to give Tuunbaq alcohol poisoning as well.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Milo and POTUS posted:

The small arms the marines had would probably do more damage than you think (especially cumulatively) and likely less damage than I think. And if it was firing a single round shot those swivel guns in particular were capable of shooting roughly 1.5 inch projectiles which would most likely cause some serious and permanent damage on a normal bear, even one at 4k pounds. Of course the drat thing seemed to have super healing and preternatural cleverness because it was after all not a real bear.

In the 19th century, Lloyds of London required merchant ships to be armed with small cannons if they were to be insured. The idea was that a 1 pounder or two on the deck would be enough to dissuade opportunistic boarders and casual piracy.

But even the relatively dinky 1 pound cannon is throwing a ball nearly 2 inches in diameter. The one in the scene looks about that size. A 1 pounder weighs a little over 100 pounds and can be handled by two men. (Erebus had a 6 pounder cannon, but that was ~700 lbs and way too big to be mounted on a swivel and would be in a carriage instead)
Google tells me a 1 pounder of the era would be firing at about 1400 ft/second, which is in the neighborhood of a .44 Magnum loaded extra hot. You can hunt polar bears and cape buffalo with .44 magnum. So, it's a 1 lb ball about midway between a golf ball size and tennis ball size firing at .44 magnum speeds delivering 20-30x the energy that the 44 magnum is.

That is sufficient to ruin a polar bear's day. If a body shot didn't kill it outright it would still certainly be a mortal wound. But this is a supernatural being so :shrug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

He should have drunk enough rum to give Tuunbaq alcohol poisoning as well.

His final gently caress off statement was so amazing, "What took you so long?"

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

etalian posted:

His final gently caress off statement was so amazing, "What took you so fooking long?"

FTFY. Blanky > Tuunbaq

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Do we ever see when the braindead marine actually dies in the show? You see one of the other marines trying to carry him during the carnival fire, but I don't remember seeing him after that. In the book, he dies pretty much immediately when they start sledging south, IIRC

Nive Nielsen is incredible as Lady Silence, especially considering that she only has two credits on her iMDB. I hope she gets more work after this.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
By the way: the assisted suicide scene between Crozier and Fitzjames was so good. I really want to see Jared and Tobias in more stuff together: they burn with chemistry on screen. I love their scenes together and have been so delighted with their story arc. Watching them find respect and friendship in one another was so well done and believable that watching Crozier help his friend off the Mortal Coil, after he had just given a speech about not leaving any man alone with last burdens, was heartbreaking to watch. A fantastic conclusion to their narrative.

Only one more to go... :smith::hf::unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Based on another comment, did Jopson not die yet? I did like Crozier coming to look in on him and told him the cow story as a reverse of how Jopson cared for him and told him stories when he was getting hit hard by withdrawal, but I may have misread the scene as Jopson on death’s door and them just not showing the burial.

Crozier taking care of Fitzjames made me so sad (I watched the scene again), considering how much the two characters grew and bonded over the series. Fitzjames was pretty disdainful of Crozier at the start, then it evolved to Fitzjames telling Crozier about his illegitimacy and ‘Are we brothers, Francis?’ :smith:

At the end of the series I need to sit down and maybe binge the whole thing, mostly because I had some problems telling guys apart early on, and watching week-to-week hasn’t helped.