Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

kiimo posted:

Studios are targeting that festival more based on timing mostly. This year Cannes is relatively quiet.
So while Cannes ostensibly prides itself as the totem of the international arthouse scene because it's in the spring, Venice gets more of the prestige Oscar pics because it's in the fall. I can believe that.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Venice has been eating Toronto's lunch for world premieres for the last few years as well.
Isn't that because TIFF typically runs a week later or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It is later, but companies used to 'save' movies for TIFF, which fewer and fewer are still doing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Toronto has Telluride as competition now as well. Not sure TIFF is equipped to fend off challengers. It's been getting stuffier and more full of itself as time goes on.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Timby posted:

At the time, Brian May--who has ordained himself the keeper of Mercury's legacy--wanted Mercury to die halfway through the movie and for the rest of it to focus on how the band has survived since his death. Cohen said that was bullshit and walked away.

Reportedly, the movie now ends with the band taking the stage at Live Aid.

this is actually almost as dumb as making Freddie's death the halfway point because as cool as the arc of his life is until that point the last few years are really the emotional core of his story and there aren't enough stories in fiction about the AIDS crisis right now so it could be a very important movie in that aspect as well.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

He's incredibly distinct looking, dramatically flexible, and has a badass voice. He also comes off as whip-smart.

he also seems like a genuinely good person. The work he does with veterans is awesome and doesn't come off as some celebrity "we <3 troops" pet project because he's a vet as well and talks about how his artistic work was very important to him after he left the Marines.

He reminds me a lot of Steve Buschemi (a similarly talented actor with a unique look), and I expect he'll have as long and fruitful a career as Buschemi too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ending the Freddie movie at Live Aid seems like a really lovely idea. Is it just going to end with, "And Queen was just such an awesome band that everyone loved! (Oh, also, Freddie got AIDS and died.)"?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 15, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I mean, we got an Alan Turing biopic that glossed over the fact that he got chemically castrated and committed suicide, the standard of the Hollywood biopic is not exactly very high.

Biopics are garbage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember how one of the big episodes in the movie Ray is Ray Charles being banned for life from entering the state of Georgia when he refuses to play at a segregated venue? That never happened in real life. They made it up, because apparently Ray Charles's actual life wasn't dramatic enough.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember how one of the big episodes in the movie Ray is Ray Charles being banned for life from entering the state of Georgia when he refuses to play at a segregated venue? That never happened in real life. They made it up, because apparently Ray Charles's actual life wasn't dramatic enough.

haven't seen ray since it was in the theater but don't they also intimate that was responsible for "georgia on my mind?"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They booed Tree of Life, a film so earnest it resolved Malick's midlife crisis!

Safe to say booing at Cannes is almost a compliment.

Tree of Life was super bad though.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y7X6le5qmE

It looks weird?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

R. Guyovich posted:

haven't seen ray since it was in the theater but don't they also intimate that was responsible for "georgia on my mind?"

Nah, in fairness, they don't go that far. It does have a bit where Ahmet Ertegun appears to grow a full beard overnight between two scenes, though.

In any event, the entire movie became impossible to take seriously as soon as I saw Walk Hard.

Great soundtrack, of course.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

It's a decent trailer, in that it has my interest. I hope it's weird. It should be weird. But that could just be how they cut the trailer.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Parties with dwarfs, that have silver trays on their heads, which have lines of cocaine on them, or its a cop out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a very brief clip of him in the yellow leather jacket which I think he only wore for the Magic Tour so maybe it'll go past Live Aid?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, even if they changed the ending it's still a Brian Singer film that was nerfed from the get-go by the band's meddling. This thing feels unsalvageable from the core.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Walk the Line might be the king of bullshit musician biopics (and I say that as a huge James Mangold fanboy).

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

It is just me or does Matt Dillon look like he's turning into Billy Crudup in this movie?

https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/996082418535882752

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Walk the Line might be the king of bullshit musician biopics (and I say that as a huge James Mangold fanboy).

It's a shame, because I think both of them (Walk the Line and Ray) have really good performances from their respective leads. Maybe I'm just susceptible to that maudlin stuff, though.

One of my favourite pieces of movie trivia is that Gary Busey was nominated for an Oscar for playing Buddy Holly in a biopic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's a shame, because I think both of them (Walk the Line and Ray) have really good performances from their respective leads. Maybe I'm just susceptible to that maudlin stuff, though.

Jamie Foxx kills it in Ray, but I'm not at all a fan of Phoenix in Walk the Line; Reese Witherspoon carries that entire movie on her shoulders.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chadwick Boseman was a good James Brown in Get On Up but the movie as a whole wasn't outstanding.

My favourite story about an actor preparing for a biopic role is Andy Serkis going to the gym so he could strengthen one side of his body so he could portray Ian Dury's polio more realistically in Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of my favourite pieces of movie trivia is that Gary Busey was nominated for an Oscar for playing Buddy Holly in a biopic.

The only good recent biopic that does justice to its subject and is still interesting is Get On Up

e: ^^^ lol didn't see your post. I dunno, the music parts were aces and that's 80% of it for me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only good biopic is Walk Hard.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only good biopic is Walk Hard.

It's weird, when googling for some good biopics, there are movies that, I guess, are technically biopics, but I don't seem them as ones. Like Goodfellas. And Wolf of Wall Street. And Schindler's List, I guess? So I'm not sure what the difference is in what I consider a biopic and what I don't.

I know here we're just talking about musician biopics. But still.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did that Miles Davis biopic that Don Cheadle spent five years learning the play the trumpet for turn out to be any good?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did that Miles Davis biopic that Don Cheadle spent five years learning the play the trumpet for turn out to be any good?

It's really horribly written, but he does a phenomenal job as Davis and he's a really good director, too; he has a great eye for staging and framing shots. But I wouldn't recommend it unless you have at least a passing interest in Miles Davis, because in terms of storytelling it's a loving mess.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

So I'm not sure what the difference is in what I consider a biopic and what I don't.

A biopic by nature tries to cover a huge swath of much ground, generally jumping between multiple eras of a person's life to try to capture a person's entire life story in around 2 hours. These are separate from movies based on true events with characters who are based on real people, which generally focus on one set of events to tell one story. Either can be 90%+ fictional, or hew relatively close to true events.

But a biopic is literally a biographical picture, one that tries to encapsulate a figure in their entirety. Occasionally biopics can be good. It's rare, but it happens. Like The Avaiator. But usually they're utterly forgettable because you might as well read a Wikipedia page.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 15, 2018

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Walk Hard is a masterpiece.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

A biopic by nature tries to cover a huge swath of much ground, generally jumping between multiple eras of a person's life to try to capture a person's entire life story in around 2 hours. These are separate from movies based on true events with characters who are based on real people, which generally focus on one set of events to tell one story. Either can be 90%+ fictional, or hew relatively close to true events.

But a biopic is literally a biographical picture, one that tries to encapsulate a figure in their entirety. Occasionally biopics can be good. It's rare, but it happens. Like The Avaiator. But usually they're utterly forgettable because you might as well read a Wikipedia page.

So Lincoln wouldn't be considered a biopic (which covers a small period of time, mainly about him trying to do this one thing), but Goodfellas would (which basically covers the life of Henry Hill up to joining Witness Protection)?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
That Brian Wilson biopic from a couple years ago was pretty good. The only weird thing was that I can buy Paul Dano as Brian Wilson or John Cusack as Brian Wilson, but it's weird with both in the same movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

So Lincoln wouldn't be considered a biopic (which covers a small period of time, mainly about him trying to do this one thing), but Goodfellas would (which basically covers the life of Henry Hill up to joining Witness Protection)?

That feels accurate to me, yeah. But maybe that's just my definition :shrug:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

That feels accurate to me, yeah. But maybe that's just my definition :shrug:

Oh it makes sense, it's just a bit nebulous in my head. Just kind of thinking out loud, I guess.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Every time I see it I find something new to laugh at.

The midget man song is like top ten comedy moments in any movie I've ever seen. I don't know why but that movie hit just the right spot for me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Almost Blue posted:

That Brian Wilson biopic from a couple years ago was pretty good. The only weird thing was that I can buy Paul Dano as Brian Wilson or John Cusack as Brian Wilson, but it's weird with both in the same movie.

See also the Bob Dylan biopic with six different actors. I got home from watching that and found out Heath Ledger was dead. :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tree of Life was super bad though.

cursed post

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't get a chance to see that one but I thought Pollock was pretty good, if mostly for Marcia Gay Harden.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vintersorg posted:

Walk Hard ever once paid for drugs.

Not once.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

That dissonance worked for I'm Not There

the problem with that movie tho I just wanted to stick with Cate Blanchett's version of the character.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Someone finally made a movie about goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq7lOpfyn2U

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Someone finally made a movie about goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq7lOpfyn2U

#NotAllGoons

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer looks alright. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Iko Uwais you deserve better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJU6S5KOsNI