Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

enojy posted:

For you handful of rhythm game fans, Taiko no Tatsujin is indeed getting its own proprietary wired controller by HORI. Costs more than the game, though... also has slots for two water bottles in the back to weigh it down for those hardcore play sessions (will probably be necessary!)

I like to keep my Taiko playing as authentic as possible, so I've been waiting for something like this to be announced! :stoked:

e: Oh, it's 7000 yen? Nevermind then I guess. :(

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Pretty pumped for Wizard of Legend, looks like a pretty great action roguelite to play in 10 minute bursts here and there.

Anybody played it yet?

I bought it but unfortunately haven't gottem to play it yet on account of this terrible curse known as employment

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pharohman777 posted:

Wonder if you could play Dark Souls with that...

:newlol:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What I want from the next pokemon is a return to 2D

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

Pretty pumped for Wizard of Legend, looks like a pretty great action roguelite to play in 10 minute bursts here and there.

Anybody played it yet?

I've been enjoying it so far. Doesn't seem as deep as EtG or BoI but combat sure is satisfying. It's also quite hard.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Death road to Canada ended up being boring as poo poo so I might get the wizard game to scratch that indie roguelite itch

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

It's off-topic but you'd probably like Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle, Fire Emblem, and stuff like that. Obviously Octopath Traveler isn't like those, but hey, if you're ever in the mood for some turn-based tactics there are some great options out there. Also Divinity Original Sin II if you also want it to be a rather freeform RPG on top of the tactics combat.

I've tried plenty of those but if the protagonists and story are anime bullshit with a bunch of moody cunts I cant stand it. on the other hand I've liked every Divinity game since the original. And Xcom is my jam.
I should probably mention that the only game with typical turnbased JRPG combat I've liked was Anachronox, an Ion Storm game from 2001.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lodin posted:

I've tried plenty of those but if the protagonists and story are anime bullshit with a bunch of moody cunts I cant stand it. on the other hand I've liked every Divinity game since the original. And Xcom is my jam.
I should probably mention that the only game with typical turnbased JRPG combat I've liked was Anachronox, an Ion Storm game from 2001.

Disgaea seems way more anime bullshit to me, but also it's super tongue-in-cheek so hey

I can't imagine FFT or Ogre Battle looking like anime bullshit but, well, post-Awakening Fire Emblem certainly is :v:

I should probably play Anachronox. I remember hearing about it when it was new but I didn't have a PC to play it on. A western-developed JRPG by Ion Storm just sounds weird and great to me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Disgaea seems way more anime bullshit to me, but also it's super tongue-in-cheek so hey

I can't imagine FFT or Ogre Battle looking like anime bullshit but, well, post-Awakening Fire Emblem certainly is :v:

Please, Anime bullshit is a very diverse and deep genre

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Steve2911 posted:

When they say similar to Go, what do you think they mean?

Catching to have the gameplay of GO, not the GPS aspect just how catching plays out once it has started. (Though it's not like the GPS element is possible on Switch anyway)

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

enojy posted:

For you handful of rhythm game fans, Taiko no Tatsujin is indeed getting its own proprietary wired controller by HORI. Costs more than the game, though... also has slots for two water bottles in the back to weigh it down for those hardcore play sessions (will probably be necessary!)

IIDX or riot

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Pokemon: Global Offensive

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The only Final Fantasy games I've legit enjoyed were on the NES and SNES and the Bravely Default games which i love, so Octopath looks SUPER my jam

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

Please, Anime bullshit is a very diverse and deep genre

I feel like there's a decent chance I've written a small essay about the different flavors of anime bullshit on these very forums before, so I must acknowledge you're correct.

My personal favorite kind is the "let's just throw Gnosticism, Catholicism, and Nietzsche in a blender and see what happens" variety, such as the anime bullshit seen in much of the Xeno series.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Octopath seems more based on European character archetypes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Octopath seems more based on European character archetypes

Faux-Europe is a very common setting in anime bullshit

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/NintendoIns/status/996457688216174592

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

Faux-Europe is a very common setting in anime bullshit

Case in point: a PSP tactics-RPG that is literally about Jeanne d'Arc and is very extremely anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjyPsDN6SPo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just wish Octopath didn't do that lovely fuckin' trope with the female :airquote:dancer:airquote: who :airquote:charms:airquote: people

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So the special outfit is mario's normal outfit he wears in every game he's ever been in?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You can't expect Mario to normally play tennis in his REGULAR clothing can you?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mario dies of heat stroke after playing tennis in denim overalls for some reason

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
You try playing tennis in denim overalls, work boots, and red flannel longjohns.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I just wish Octopath didn't do that lovely fuckin' trope with the female :airquote:dancer:airquote: who :airquote:charms:airquote: people

In the demo, at least, the euphemism is really, really thin. It's all but explicitly stated that she's been forced into prostitution and Helgenish is her pimp. Not sure if that makes it better or worse, though.

The "seduce random NPCs off the street" thing is weird as hell, though.

Also it's kind of interesting that the Dancer class seems to be the one that gets all the dark magic.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Disgaea 1, 3 and 5 poo poo on anime tropes and that's why I like them. I don't actually watch any harem stuff or that but I like Berserk and Ninja Scrolls.
I like anime that makes fun of anime. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was close enough so that was cool.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

empathe posted:

IIDX or riot

I feel like console IIDX is dead for good, which is a real shame, now that console games are capable of 32+GB storage. Now that I'm thinking about it, it's pretty bizarre that Konami opted to make a PC version of the game after almost a decade of radio silence when it comes to non-arcade releases (easy port, I guess?) I always figured the home versions died out because Japanese interest in consoles/home gaming was dwindling.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lodin posted:

Disgaea 1, 3 and 5 poo poo on anime tropes and that's why I like them. I don't actually watch any harem stuff or that but I like Berserk and Ninja Scrolls.
I like anime that makes fun of anime. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was close enough so that was cool.

The Ironic Anime Nerd

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Peach blinked, as she couldn’t believe what was standing right before her. Link, the Hero of Time… was standing in her room, wearing one of her dresses. And if

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

a.lo posted:

Peach blinked, as she couldn’t believe what was standing right before her. Link, the Hero of Time… was standing in her room, wearing one of her dresses. And if

This is the story for Star Fox Rammers, right

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Please, go on...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mega64 posted:

This is the story for Star Fox Rammers, right

Strap in and strap on.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Wizard of Legend is decent so far. I think EtG or Isaac might be better roguelikes but I've only played for a bit so far. It's definitely challenging.

There's two currencies, gems which buys stuff outside the dungeon and is unlocked forever, and gold which buys stuff in the dungeons for that run only. You can carry four spells, a cloak, and one relic in the dungeon each time. There's only a dozen or so cloaks, but a ton of relics and spells.

Maybe save your starting gems for a run or two instead of just blowing them on random stuff like I did. Gems carry over after deaths, you lose all gold each time. There's also a cursed vendor sometimes that gives free items that have drawbacks.

If you like roguelikes I think you will find some enjoyment here, if not it's not doing anything to change that.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Motto posted:

The Ironic Anime Nerd

Pretty sure there's still tapes of Tenchi Muyo and Moldiver at my parents place so I was always an anime nerd.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Xenoblade is full-on anime, not anime that makes fun of anime. You can't use Tora getting poo poo on a couple times to justify...the rest.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Nearly 300 hours into Xenoblade 2 and I still loathe it for its animeness.
I think I'm right close to the end.
I have to go fight Megamind at the Dragon Quest 11 tree, but I'm dreading having to sit through more ultrashitty anime bullshit.
How much longer do I have to go?

I keep playing it because the RPG mechanics are right up my alley.
I'm not sure if I have to keep doing those dumb core crystal gacha--I have three spots left open.

I should just move on. I would like to finish playing Yakuza 0 and Kiwami so I can play 6.

Also, my anime-loving son annoys me by identifying the JP voice actors right away.
"The hero's Shima from "Actually, I am...""
"That's Char! And there's Amuro and Tuxedo Mask, too."
He knows the female characters, too--I can't even tell most of those squeaky helium-voices apart.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Lodin posted:

Everything becomes a lot less complicated when you can just admit you like stupid poo poo. It's great.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I wasn't expecting how anime it was. it was too anime

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Also it pissed me off how hard I fought it battles only for them to win instantly in a cutscene.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I, too, dream of tasty sausage the size of Poppi; and wish that desire could unite us all, under anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

Nearly 300 hours into Xenoblade 2 and I still loathe it for its animeness.
I think I'm right close to the end.
I have to go fight Megamind at the Dragon Quest 11 tree, but I'm dreading having to sit through more ultrashitty anime bullshit.
How much longer do I have to go?

I keep playing it because the RPG mechanics are right up my alley.
I'm not sure if I have to keep doing those dumb core crystal gacha--I have three spots left open.

I should just move on. I would like to finish playing Yakuza 0 and Kiwami so I can play 6.

Also, my anime-loving son annoys me by identifying the JP voice actors right away.
"The hero's Shima from "Actually, I am...""
"That's Char! And there's Amuro and Tuxedo Mask, too."
He knows the female characters, too--I can't even tell most of those squeaky helium-voices apart.

You need to stop playing video games and save your son

• Locked thread