Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

So what you're saying is that you're not our new daughter. You're our new mommy. Please sign these adoption papers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

Cephalopods? Well, that explains the Acheronic fascination with tentacles I suppose.

:golfclap: :cthulhu:

Loel posted:

”When the first cephalopod first imagined striking its rival, half a universe from here, I was there."

Telling. You were just there? To witness? Did you instigate? Did you give inspiration? Did you give the means? The knowledge? The impluse? The desire?

Or is it more simple, more primal? Did you identify The Hunger, and allude to the means of assuaging the need?

And don't just say 'Yes', that's my line.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
The warp is the projection of sentience into a higher dimension. Souls and what not. As below, so above. Plotting to slay your rival is a powerful concept and at that time, the first it was dreamed. That kind of thing has power.

We still have our Ego and possibly our physical self, though what is Ohome but ego constrained to a physical shell and in crossing the event horizon what remains?

Focus on our physical form and a chess table with two chairs. Hold out our hands and let the entity choose a color.

"A trivial game for you, but appearances matter. You have pulled me away and wish to speak. I am listening."

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

You were getting a better sense of this place, now. Not physical, then, a place-that-was-not-a-place. There were no physical sensations to be received, only will and memory. You willed intent and question, and images formed.

“Rivals imply rivalry, and imagination suggests strategy. What is your game?”

You could feel the otherness consider the board, examine it.

Perhaps.

You swallowed, or would have. A vast array of game boards before you, interlaced into infinity, a billion possibilities blossoming into uncounted decision trees. “Perhaps the first move to you, then. You have pulled me to this place, I am listening.”

You do not remember why you came here?

The infinite boards spun and wove around you.

You do not remember that this is where you have always attempted to start a new game?

Loel fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 22, 2018

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

YOU FOOLS THIS IS OUR CHANCE TO BREAK THE CYCLE

Every one of these boards is a bad decision on our part. There must be another way.

Are we speaking to Death? Let's pump him for philosophy. Catch him in a paradox, and then make our demands.

I told you guys we shouldn't have gone into the black hole. Now we're dead and considering our next life. Stop torturing Loel by making him write his best girl walking into nukes.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 22, 2018

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
"The multiplicities of my soul and their myriad paths are only partially known to this instance. They are, of course, irrelevant at this juncture." Then stand up and flip the table. "The game has reached its conclusion. This nexus has reached its terminus. Time will not be rewound for another pass nor will it be at any of the player's behest. You can no longer stave off the game through stalemate, the Ouroboros finally reaching its throat. There is no more tail remaining. I wonder though, is this my end, our yours? You will abide of course, being the consequence of action not its prime mover. Are you afraid? Has sentience granted you mortal fear?

I will offer what has never been offered to you. Take my hand, little bird and step with me. Fear not the coming change, but let it wash over us. What will be, will be. Do not resist yourself and ride the wave.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 23, 2018

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Flip the drat table.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Blasphemaster posted:

Flip the drat table.

What does that mean in this context :v:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Loel posted:

What does that mean in this context :v:

The universe is code, and all evidence points to it being pretty terribly debugged. It probably doesn't properly sanitize inputs. Hail to the Omnissiah and
code:
DoCmd.RunSQL "DROP TABLE [Universe.dbo].[tblChessBoards]"

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Karia posted:

The universe is code, and all evidence points to it being pretty terribly debugged. It probably doesn't properly sanitize inputs. Hail to the Omnissiah and
code:
DoCmd.RunSQL "DROP TABLE [Universe.dbo].[tblChessBoards]"

Yeah let's run CCleaner Universe Edition.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

cat_herder posted:

Every one of these boards is a bad decision on our part. There must be another way.

Are we speaking to Death? Let's pump him for philosophy. Catch him in a paradox, and then make our demands.

I told you guys we shouldn't have gone into the black hole. Now we're dead and considering our next life. Stop torturing Loel by making him write his best girl walking into nukes.

now bolded for voting

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Hypothesis: We’re talking to Loel as Ohone.
Conclusion: Demand, in all our arrogance, admin rights to the story.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Arkanomen posted:

"The multiplicities of my soul and their myriad paths are only partially known to this instance. They are, of course, irrelevant at this juncture." Then stand up and flip the table. "The game has reached its conclusion. This nexus has reached its terminus. Time will not be rewound for another pass nor will it be at any of the player's behest. You can no longer stave off the game through stalemate, the Ouroboros finally reaching its throat, there is no more tail remaining. I wonder though, is this my end, our yours? You will abide of course, being the consequence of action not its prime mover. Are you afraid? The ourbourus reaching its throat. Has sentience granted you mortal fear?

I will offer what has never been offered to you. Take my hand, little bird and step with me. Fear not the coming change, but let it wash over us. What will be, will be. Do not resist yourself and ride the wave.

Welp, I'm voting with Ark. gently caress my life.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

cat_herder posted:

I agree with this. And if Loel wasn't entertained by us walking into nukes, he would leave fewer of them just lying about in the open.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 23, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

cat_herder posted:

cat_herder posted:

now bolded for voting

+1 for Cat Herder

For goodness sake, stop pushing a bad situation and behaving like a spoiled brat.

Flip the table? Really?? Stomping around the galaxy like an eight year old throwing a tantrum is how we ended up in this situation.

Its time to push back from the table, not flip it; admit we're out of our depth, and we have no recollection of what happened before, and seek compromise.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Seeking Compromise? With Tzeench? Thats the exact same thing that every other Ohone has done in every iteration for millenia. It all ends the same. But I guess if we keep doing the same thing we've always done will work out again?

We arent dead and this isnt some grand test. A Chaos God has plucked our soul into its private domain to talk as we pass through the void and into Acheron just like Anna taught us how to.

Its time to flip the table and end this stupid rigged game, not throw money at the carnival scam because of pride or restraint. It's not childish to call out someone cheating. We got to this spot exactly because we threw double birds and walked backwards into danger with no regrets.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Arkanomen posted:

With Tzeench? Thats the exact same thing that every other Ohone has done in every iteration for millenia. It all ends the same. But I guess if we keep doing the same thing we've always done will work out again?

You don't know that.

In fact, we have no idea who we're speaking with. Maybe figure out who's table we're at before we flip it?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Oh, it's an absolutely terrible idea, no question there. But it's also also totally in character, and very amusing.

Also, yeah, I don't think this is Tzeench, he's a creature of Acheron, not something that would have created Acheron. I don't think this is a Chaos god, I think this is the god of the black hole, not newly born but newly appeared. Everything starts with the holes.

Unless that's what Tzeench wants us to think...

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

:siren: We don't even know who we are really dealing with! :siren:

you guys think it's Tzeench, I think it's death, we do not actually know one way or the other, and now this rear end in a top hat is saying we have 52748752847585 other games that we've been putting off and putting off and constantly going to dead ends.

gently caress that poo poo! no more 40d fractal chess! We told Anna we'd stop this, let's loving stop it. But we need more information, and we cannot make wild assumptions about things like identity and temporality and awareness. We MUST have more information. We must figure out whowhat this being is, what happened the last 12854215215412 times, what we are right now, and how much we can process, and then do what we do best and crunch the gently caress out of some numbers. While we crunch, chat with him about philosophy until we can trap him in a paradox, and hopefully by then we've crunched what we need and have some leverage. Since we're outside time, it doesn't matter how long it takes.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 27, 2018

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

cat_herder posted:

gently caress that poo poo! no more 40d fractal chess! We told Anna we'd stop this, let's loving stop it.

A curious game... It seems the only way to win is to not play.

How about a nice game of chess?

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

mepstein73 posted:

A curious game... It seems the only way to win is to not play.

How about a nice game of chess?

dang it meps :argh: you're supposed to be working with me here

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Compromise. Build a tower with the pieces.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

RandomPauI posted:

Compromise. Build a tower with the pieces.

...Then knock it down like a whiny child? Sounds like Ohone.

Seriously though, I think this is game over for Ohone. I don't see a way she gets out of this the same (IF she gets out at all).

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Flip table: ark
Blasphemaster
Karia
Van sandman
Dont be mean to me

Get more info: cat_herder
Vore bane
Courvalant

Compromise: randompaul

Well now you’ve done it

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Well now you’ve done it

You shook your head. “You mistake me. This is not where I bargain, where I set up a new game, where we play another round. This is the final match. The game has reached its conclusion. This nexus has reached its terminus. Time will not be rewound for another pass nor will it be at any of the player's behest.”

All the pieces stopped, in all the games, as if in shock. The entire universe of pieces, watching to see what you would say next.

“I will offer what has never been offered to you. Take my hand, little bird and step with me. Fear not the coming change, but let it wash over us. What will be, will be. Do not resist yourself and ride the wave. “

A pause that could have lasted for eternity.

A voice, echoing through your soul.

”I accept.”

She gave a small shrug. “I am compelled to obey. Traditional approaches to get closer would be using Loki or Hera to teleport closer, my Acheronic powers, or an actual ship such as the Beast or Olympus. The Beast will take months, and Loki and Hera refused last time I checked. As for myself … I would prefer not to.”
“Be calling yourself a scrivener next. No, I might have you come along.”
“Anyone else you want to bring on this highly probably ride to death? Or will it be just us girls?”

A voice, echoing through your soul. What will be, will be…

“No.” You spoke firmly, Anna watching you through curious eyes. “I have found what I needed. We are leaving this place.”

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
It is done.

Look to Anna, "the circle is broken". Stare at Loki, "We have loose ends to clean up." Address the crew. "This is lordsire Ohone. Prepare the fleet for mobilization. Mourn your dead, celebrate the living, and soothe the machines. We are not finished with the days labor." Lastly turn to our dear husband. Take his hand and sit with him at our chair. "Any last words of wisdom for this motley crew, my love?"

The hitlist
  • Oneoh
  • Slaneesh
  • Gorgon
  • Loki

Questions/Tasks
  • Find out where Anna's soul is
  • Figure out a way to break into Slaneeshes fortress
  • How will we rebuild our empire
  • Where is the Empress
  • What will we do about oneoh
  • Did we actually just get tzeench to quit the game?
  • why are we so drat awesome
  • can we unfuck the tangle of souls that is Amacita and crew
  • what even is our fleet size

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah a core asset list would be helpful. Beyond that we're talking macro level strategic and economic capacity, but knowing for certain our core asset composition is important.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Local Assets:

One (1) Beast, wraithbone upgrades
One (1) Olympus, DAoT tier
One (1) Eminent Domain branch of dynasty
Loki (withdrawn), Hera (active), Athena (hiding)
Titan (planet) with chapter of Grey Knight Space Marines
Luna (planet) graveyards / shipyards

Distant Assets:

Dozen or so munition systems that Wintersilk set up

Allies:

Elves

Known powerblocs

Golgotha (Imperial Navy)
Footfall (Thrassos Consortium)
Janissary space (ze enemy)

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 13, 2018

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Don't forget Acheron, Gorgon, and any other Minds!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I lost track of this last year, I can only assume we found a way to reincarnate Amacita as a ninja who is still a caring and nurturing a pacifist.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

. . . The future's not ours to see
Que será, será . . .

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

gently caress that noise. Whatever pleb bastard has time to sing hasn't put in enough effort to work themselves go death. :whip:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Some pretty creative forms of protest

“Oh lord.”
Elenora looked over. “Hm?”
Blackfinger gestured. “You watching this?”
“That … looks like the Olympus.” A brief smile. “Nice ship. I took it for an adventure few weeks back.”
“Sure. But who would be on it?”
Her smile faded. “Not too many I can think who would hijack it. Me, Limosa.”
“And we know where Limosa is.”
“That makes it Ohone.”
“Yeah.”

Elenora watched the screen. “She’s taking it towards the Sol blackhole.”
“And there’s all sorts of weird poo poo going on around there. Acheronic maybe? Sensors aren’t sure.” He tapped his fingers. “I gotta call it.”
“What do you mean?”
“She can take care of herself, but our fleet can’t risk whatever is happening near the event horizon. We need to go.”
Elenora raised her eyebrows at him. “Leaving the Lord-Sire behind?”
“She’s not being left behind. That’s the best ship in the fleet, and she’s the one who survives things no one else can.”
“A brave defense. I hope it works, I’d hate to be your widow.”
He snorted. “Please, she’d probably execute you with me.”
Elenora smiled faintly. “Help, help, the pirate is kidnapping me. I couldn’t stop him.”
He reached for the console, spoke to the fleet. “All units, fall back beyond the Oort Cloud. Prepare for Acheronic transit.”
“And then?”
Blackfinger smiled toothily. “I need to get started on that kidnapping.”

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

He reached for the console, spoke to the fleet. “All units, fall back beyond the Oort Cloud. Prepare for Acheronic transit.”

Blackfinger is shaping up to be a pretty decent second in command; eye on the big picture, anticipating the needs of the fleet, giving us what we need, not necessarily what we want.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

CourValant posted:

Blackfinger is shaping up to be a pretty decent second in command; eye on the big picture, anticipating the needs of the fleet, giving us what we need, not necessarily what we want.

Almost.....too good....

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
GODDAMNIT ARK we are not ripping blackfingers heart out.

He's a good boy.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Arkanomen posted:

Almost.....too good....

Classic Ark

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

SpookyLizard posted:

GODDAMNIT ARK we are not ripping blackfingers heart out.

He's a good boy.

Toughy posted:

Classic Ark

So, Vote: All in favor of brain-boxing Arkanomen?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Ha! Those idiots are gonna lose their poo poo when we pop back out with a God as a friend and ally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Brainbox Blackfinger, then pipe a simulation of the real world from our perspective in and do what he does, because it'll probably be smarter than anything we come up with.