Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

that just because itd be a glaring issue doesnt mean they arent doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chalks posted:

I can see people not caring too much about the dot feature since it's presumably just there to catch mistyped addresses (seems like a bit of an arbitrary character to have chosen for that reason tbh) - but the plus thing is genuinely really useful.

+ emails are fuckin dumb because any spammer worth a drat is gonna strip it immediately.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

spammers aren't worth any damns

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

+ emails are fuckin dumb because any spammer worth a drat is gonna strip it immediately.

i don't know, i don't think enough people even know it exists let alone use it to make spammers care

though i just have my personal domains forward all mail that doesn't match a known mailbox to me so i can use email addresses with the company name in it, like, "popeyes-chicken-lovers-club@butt-chuggin-babes.mobi" or w/e

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

In this week's Adobe Reader patch, they fixed 'NTLM SSO hash theft':

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/mitigation-NTLM-dictionary-attacks.html

How on earth is a PDF renderer causing vulnerabilities in NTLM?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Raere posted:

In this week's Adobe Reader patch, they fixed 'NTLM SSO hash theft':

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/mitigation-NTLM-dictionary-attacks.html

How on earth is a PDF renderer causing vulnerabilities in NTLM?
very carefully

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
if i were a spammer, i'd go out of my way to strip +whatever from gmail addresses specifically to annoy people who care enough to use that feature

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

redleader posted:

if i were a spammer, i'd go out of my way to strip +whatever from gmail addresses specifically to annoy people who care enough to use that feature
is it more annoying to strip them after they're entered, or to pretend like they're invalid

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

redleader posted:

I’d just drop any emails that had them in on the basis that anyone who knows about that feature probably isn’t going to believe that local girls are dying to meet them

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is the "dots" feature even allowed under the relevant standards? in before somebody posts that regex from the RFC
that part of the email address is called the "local-part" and the relevant standard says little about the server's interpretation of it except that no other host can infer anything about it (including uniqueness, which technically means Netflix is in the wrong). the fact that the dominant mailserver for decades had its configs written in an incredibly flexible string matching language says a lot about how loose hosts have always been with local-parts.

the relevant RFCs say "there are some non-@ characters here, good luck (and do whatever you want)". the last part in parentheses is not in the actual standard, but is implicit in every statement of every email RFC.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

time for e-mail2. let’s do it right this time

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Raere posted:

time for e-mail2. let’s do it right this time

https://twitter.com/bug_deal/status/376888351351001090?lang=en

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Blue Apron used to not really validate street addresses and I remember you could get multiple free meals delivered by just signing up for the free trial and then inputing a minor variation of your address (ie: 555-c, 555 unit c, 555 apartment-c) with a new account.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

El Mero Mero posted:

Blue Apron used to not really validate street addresses and I remember you could get multiple free meals delivered by just signing up for the free trial and then inputing a minor variation of your address (ie: 555-c, 555 unit c, 555 apartment-c) with a new account.

How do you validate a mailing address effectively?

Canada Post offers something like that but it isn't super effective.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lain Iwakura posted:

Isn't this what the "Where do I vote" websites do?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Schadenboner posted:

Isn't this what the "Where do I vote" websites do?

How do you mark basement suites?

The reason why you can do that with suite numbers is that the secondary address field is generally not controllable by government agency.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Lain Iwakura posted:

TITLE
o sir
o ma’am
o doctor
x goon

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lain Iwakura posted:

in the uk the royal mail have a master database of every valid postal address that is considered authoritative and can be licensed, which sounds like a good idea (junk mail excepted) until they arbitrarily decide that your address is no longer "10 some block, some street" but is in fact "10 some block, 8 some street" and every credit reference agency in the country freaks out because you suddenly apparently start applying for bank accounts etc from a different address

took almost a year to sort that poo poo out for all 200 or so people living in my block

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

there's a finite set of valid addresses in denmark too. never heard of anyone having problems because they lived on an "invalid" address

but really, you cant validate real-world poo poo like names, emails, addresses automatically. you either need to contact some authoritative database or go into the real world and do it there.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Lain Iwakura posted:

The reason why you can do that with suite numbers is that the secondary address field is generally not controllable by government agency.

only if you try to impose rules like “suites have numbers” instead of just having freeform text fields

the Royal Mail database has an entry for “basement flat, street address” at my building just like the entries for the other flats. works fine

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

duz posted:

that just because itd be a glaring issue doesnt mean they arent doing it

Yeah, but in that case it's not really a mystery as to who's responsible for the issue as the article is making out. It would clearly be a Netflix flaw.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

USPS has a service for address standardization and validation, I'm pretty sure that if you send enough mail they'll even give you a discount on your rates if you standardize all your addresses.

Pitney Bowes even offers a COBOL solution for it which is sadly the solution I'm most familiar with

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jose Valasquez posted:

USPS has a service for address standardization and validation, I'm pretty sure that if you send enough mail they'll even give you a discount on your rates if you standardize all your addresses.

Pitney Bowes even offers a COBOL solution for it which is sadly the solution I'm most familiar with

Does your mother use it to send out her "frequent rider" coupons?

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

This returns standardized addresses too, and lets you look at cool jargon-y info like the delivery point.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Does your mother use it to send out her "frequent rider" coupons?

no my mother uses a c++ version, cobol can't handle the kind of throughput she gets

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
usps owns because i've tried to change the delivery destination for so many packages and it tells me the original destination address is wrong no matter how many permutations of it i try

cool website a+ #1

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jose Valasquez posted:

no my mother uses a c++ version, cobol can't handle the kind of throughput she gets

extremely underrated tactic here

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Lain Iwakura posted:

You can always use the billing address (which is often the same as the shipping address) and validate that against AVS. That only looks at the street number though . Maybe their mistake was to use addresses at all to determine if someone had already gotten their free trial.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that was their mistake, yes

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
so like i said, verifying suites is annoying and therefore it's easy to muck things up

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Jose Valasquez posted:

yep that's CASS, it's neat but frequently cryptic.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lain Iwakura posted:

so like i said, verifying suites is annoying and therefore it's easy to muck things up
just keep telling the user to fix it until the USPS address search returns an exact zip+4 match. if an input address doesn't resolve, its not valid and the usps probably wouldn't deliver it anyway.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jose Valasquez posted:

doubt this, you're not going to get the transactional throughput your mom needs on something that isn't big iron

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

just keep telling the user to fix it until the USPS address search returns an exact zip+4 match. if an input address doesn't resolve, its not valid and the usps probably wouldn't deliver it anyway.

USPS is actually very good at intuiting what you meant if you gently caress up an address

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/ErrataRob/status/996752173252956160

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
"used to be"?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

im guessing youre skimming over that/misreading it

that was the dialog that IE would pop up when you went to a site that was using https

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NEED MORE MILK posted:

im guessing youre skimming over that/misreading it

that was the dialog that IE would pop up when you went to a site that was using https
and at what point did they remove it from internet explorer

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

anthonypants posted:

I just launched IE11 on my main PC, the first time I've ever run IE on this machine, and it did not prompt me while loading the default MSN homepage in HTTPS. It also didn't prompt when I pulled up my personal site with a LE cert, so it's not just whitelisting Microsoft properties.

So...somewhere before the version that's in Windows 10 1803.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

IE7 I believe. Netscape had it too, at least for a while. Mosaic at one point warned you on every cross-site link.

• Locked thread