Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Charlotte's really overdue for some lottery luck. Best they've ever done was in 2006, when they stayed flat at 3. They took Adam Morrison that year.

2008: Dropped from 8th to 9th
2012: Dropped from 1st to 2nd and missed out on Anthony Davis
2013: Dropped from 2nd to 4th

In 2014, the Cavs leapfrogging Detroit did made the first-rounder the Pistons owed Charlotte convey a year early. Then again if they'd waited another year they'd have had 8 + 9 in the year they took Kaminsky, whiffed on Booker/Turner/Justise, and turned down all those Boston picks.

They'd probably look a lot better with Doncic at SF instead of Kidd-Gilchrist

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

Jackson possesses the potential to be an elite defensive player and tools to become an efficient two-way player. The Bulls know this well because his road roommate at Michigan State was Jack Hoiberg, Fred’s son. His shot-blocking ability should only improve as he matures and gets stronger; he won’t turn 19 until September. He also is adept at finishing with either hand.

I just hope he's good, because if he's there he is deffo the Bulls pick.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Sixers will have room for a max deal as soon as they pawn Bayless onto some other team. So LeBron/Paul George/whoever to The Process is confirmed. The problem is that a max wipes out the cap space needed to fortify the bench/keep JJ around. Cause the Sixers bench is uh, not great, as it stands. An army of guards with limited playing experience and Richaun Holmes is a very big weakness for a contending team. Sixers really need to bring back Illyasova, I think, and go find another wing somewhere. Belinelli is fun and a shameless gunner, but I'm not sure if we can fit him and Illysaova in with a max FA.

If the Sixers don't sign a max FA, gently caress it, run it back and re-sign everyone except Bayless. And still pick up another wing.

If you sign LeBron, bench vets that can hit 3s on a discount will come.

Amazing post. Can't wait to see what the order is tomorrow.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/996389296608292866?s=19

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

hahahaha

poor bear

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Remember when Paul Goerge tried to force the nickname "Playoff P" and then his lovely team got beaten in the first round?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Remember when Paul Goerge tried to force the nickname "Playoff P" and then his lovely team got beaten in the first round?

Yeah because he forgot that the P stands for Punk-rear end Shook Bitch.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Paul George is my friend and I hope he stays

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/996840441826947073?s=09
Sometimes I don't know why I bother

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Who knew the Kevin McHale coaching tree would be this prolific??

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

Paul George is my friend and I hope he stays

PG makes the Thunder more fun and I kinda don't want to go back to 100% Westbrook Hero-ball or, worse, 100% Westbrook/Carmelo Hero-ball. Though if George wanted to go back East I'd support that because the East needs basketball mans.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Sheriff posted:

Who knew the Kevin McHale coaching tree would be this prolific??

Kelvin Sampson IIRC was basically hired to be the actual coach while Kevin McHale talked about the Celtics glory days and tried to get Dwight Howard to hit a hook shot.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 18, 2018

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Was he any good? I've only heard of him as a college coach

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

The Zack posted:

Was he any good? I've only heard of him as a college coach

Coached out in Oklahoma I believe. He was okay there. Came to Indiana and was alright, but got in trouble for texting. Went up to the Rockets and I heard good things there. Seems to have done really well at U of Houston.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's a good college coach. His rep just took a big hit from the NCAA scandals but all of those seem pretty silly in hindsight. It's hard to really say exactly what any NBA assistant does, but he was generally pretty well regarded in Houston.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Which team will be the first to hire one of of Brad Smart's assistants?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://theundefeated.com/features/new-orleans-pelicans-demarcus-cousins-im-shooting-to-be-ready-for-training-camp/

The therapy and rehab has me intrigued and a little optimistic.

The little to no communication between him and his teammates and front office have me a bit worried, though.

A believable answer to the unfollowing the team from Twitter question.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Strawberry Panda posted:

Which team will be the first to hire one of of Brad Smart's assistants?

Jay Larranaga (Jay Lasagna) got a bunch of interviews for the vacancies this year so I'd imagine he'll be the first one to get a shot, no idea where though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

Jay Larranaga (Jay Lasagna) got a bunch of interviews for the vacancies this year so I'd imagine he'll be the first one to get a shot, no idea where though

Someone needs to hire him already so I can stop getting confused and wondering why NBA team are interviewing his dad, the nearly 70 year old Miami coach, everytime his name comes up

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MourningView posted:

Someone needs to hire him already so I can stop getting confused and wondering why NBA team are interviewing his dad, the nearly 70 year old Miami coach, everytime his name comes up

Hahah I had the same thought the first time I heard his name mentioned as one of Brad's assistants, why the hell did Brad hire some old man

e: Thought is spelled with a t at the end

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 18, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:siren:

:siren:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

After seeing this a while ago https://instagram.com/p/BhiY06lhr9y/?utm_source=ig_embed I figured it'd be buzzcut status

He's trying to grow it back seemingly and the shooting improvement will be temporary

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There are no NBA rules against texting recruits, so Kelvin should be fine

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NOO

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

The desperate cries of a man who knows Russ has just been been usurped in the PG rankings

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There are no NBA rules against texting recruits, so Kelvin should be fine

If you think about it for more than like 10 seconds its really insane that he became this massive villian by sending too many texts. People were like genuinely angry at Houston for hiring him

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Ruh roh.
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/997602547824082944?s=19

quote:

Appearing on Friday's episode of The Lowe Post, ESPN.com's Zach Lowe said Towns and the Timberwolves are "not in a good place internally."

ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst, who joined Lowe for a lengthy conversation, later posited it would not be unheard of if Towns' name eventually surfaced in trade discussions.

"I don't think Anthony Davis is going anywhere any time soon," Windhorst said. "But Karl Towns...now that might be a different story."

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

It was typical Windhorst "everyone's getting traded" bullshit with Zach Lowe. Zach Lowe said a long time ago that transactions get the most traffic by far, and so he adopted that as his focus, rather than helping people understand what happened to make a basketball play happen.

To their credit, they said "this will make the aggregators go crazy" and added large caveats about it being only a suggestion of a rumor.

If there were transcripts and you had a robot, you could probably quantify his predictions as "93% wrong."

The gap between Karl Towns's value last offseason and this offseason is large, it would be a bad time to try and get rid of him

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

this is some good spicy poo poo but you're right, Windhorst is basically an NBA gossip columnist and anytime Lowe has him on its a bunch of "well, you know I dont have any info but.......it wouldn't surprise me if X superstar was X this offseason."

It actually reminds me a lot of how they talk about transfer rumours in European soccer. Much closer to Page6/Entertainment Weekly than legit journalism.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Literally every good player the Timberwolves have are constantly in talks to be traded, I promise you any further discussion will involve the Knicks or Lakers getting Towns for future firsts and trash.

If there is a problem between Towns and the FO, the owners will shitcan the front-office. They aren't stupid about who is selling tickets.

Dejan Bimble posted:

The gap between Karl Towns's value last offseason and this offseason is large, it would be a bad time to try and get rid of him

Towns had his best season by WS, BPM, TS%, Blocks, Rebounding and Drawing Free Throws per shot. His usage went down, but...duh. I don't think there is any trade value problem with KAT other than you'll never ever get value back in a trade.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The Ringer is so so so bad.
https://twitter.com/BerenstainGer/status/999299083125821440?s=19

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Its a joke article, bro. The next section is about Trading Rick Carlisle for a first round pick, the first is about KD and Lebron teaming up in LA.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Seems like a good deal tbh, the Sixers need a real PG who can back up TJ

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Its a joke article, bro. The next section is about Trading Rick Carlisle for a first round pick, the first is about KD and Lebron teaming up in LA.

They're not joking, it's their fantasy trades. They published it the day after Simmons.had his "Wild/Plausible" podcast with Lowe.

I'm referring to the laziness of it; e.g. not knowing that Philly already has two firsts and writing "Guys, Bryan Colangelo with two first-round draft picks … WHAT COULD GO WRONG?" isn't a huge deal, but it's awkward.

A lot of the Ringer basketball guys seem to be so spread out project-wise that they're a bit frazzled. Simmons himself was throwing out trade ideas on the podcast that were based on Rozier being an expiring this summer.

You and I don't get paid for shitposting about basketball and we're both better than that.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

lol

Also, does anybody know how to get tickets for the sacramento summer league? I can't find them anywhere

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Algund Eenboom posted:

lol

Also, does anybody know how to get tickets for the sacramento summer league? I can't find them anywhere

Here you go: https://www.nba.com/kings/caclassic?r=Main_CUP3DAY_Pencil_OG

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/CodyWesterlund/status/999342199832809472

Let's goo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

They're not joking, it's their fantasy trades. They published it the day after Simmons.had his "Wild/Plausible" podcast with Lowe.

"Fantasy" meaning "this would be fun" not "I bet this would happen"

• Locked thread