Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Just a sampling of Filmstruck right now:

Director of the Week: David Lean (complete filmography)
Star of the week: Jean Harlow (14 films)
My Journey through French Cinema + 17 films (including Grand Illusion, Touchez par au grisbi, Alphaville, Army of Shadows, Bob le flambeur, and Le Trou)
Busby Berkeley (15 films)
Frank Borzage (9 films)
Yasujiro Ozu (33 films)
Marlon Brando (10 films)
Vincente Minelli (25 films)
Peter Greenaway (6 films - The Falls, The Draughtman's Contract, A Zed and Two Noughts, The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover, The Pillow Book, and Prospero's Books)
Mars Attacks!
Luis Bunuel (12 films)
Powell & Pressburger (15 films)
Forbidden Planet
Magnolia

The Criterion Channel also has pretty much everything that was on Hulu Plus, but also a lot of OOP stuff with full extras from laserdisc/DVD/Blu-ray:

High Noon (with the Criterion laserdisc commentary)
The Milky Way
That Obscure Object of Desire
The Phantom of Liberty
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Complete filmography of Sergei Eisenstein
Complete filmography of Charles Chaplin (except for his very last film)
12 of Hitchcock's British films
Highlights of the Olympics box set (like Riefenstahl's Olympia)
25 Akira Kurosawa films (only missing four)
32 Ingmar Bergman films

When will this come to Canada?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Have you tried a VPN?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Get a loving PS4 app already, Filmstruck. I'm tired of watching on my laptop and tablet.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I wish Filmstruck had a Sony Bluray player app. :smith:

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Have you tried a VPN?

I have not.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Anyone else find Filmstruck overwhelming? It feels like Time Enough At Last but instead of my glasses breaking I'm unable to pick any single film.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

TrixRabbi posted:

Anyone else find Filmstruck overwhelming? It feels like Time Enough At Last but instead of my glasses breaking I'm unable to pick any single film.

This is why my shame thread list is almost nothing but filmstruck-available movies.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

TrixRabbi posted:

my watchlist on Filmstruck hovers around 40, dips down to 30, and then back up to 40 again. I meant to work through all of their library and select which ones I wanted to see, but I've never gotten through the whole selection to see even. So I keep nosing into it and blowing up my watchlist again and again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TrixRabbi posted:

The magic of streaming made manifest. An endless browse.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

I was watching this very episode while reading this post. :tinfoil:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Egbert Souse posted:

Complete filmography of Charles Chaplin (except for his very last film)
Speaking of this, have they ever announced when The Circus might come to Blu-Ray?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm glad it looks like a lot of stuff is sticking around long term, my watchlist is like 150 things right now.

The watchlist within a watchlist is stuff that's listed as leaving soon here and generally that's pretty manageable, but there's no way I'm knocking out the ten hours of nearly-expired Visconti by the 18th.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think I have over 200 in my Filmstruck queue. Right now, I'm trying to clear up my Blu-ray shelf, then move to Filmstruck. I'm sort of ashamed at not having seen any Ozu besides Tokyo Story.

Robert Denby posted:

Speaking of this, have they ever announced when The Circus might come to Blu-Ray?

I'm going to guess Criterion wants to include the original 1928 version instead of only the 1970s version. While I think Chaplin's recut of The Kid is a superior film, I don't think The Circus has ever been available since the 20s in its original cut. It looks quite stunning on even the old Image DVD for a 1928 film, though. There's also the remaining First National films - The Pilgrim, Shoulder Arms, The Idle Class, Sunnyside, A Day's Pleasure, Pay Day, and A Dog's Life (The first three were edited into a compilation The Chaplin Revue in the 50s); as well as A Woman of Paris and A King in New York.

There's also supposed to be a Harold Lloyd talkies set that's been in the works for ages.

Also, Universal will be working with The Film Foundation on another series of restorations that includes Destry Rides Again, both the Siodmak and Siegel versions of The Killers, Winchester '73, and My Little Chickadee. The same article also mentioned that Universal has completed The Man Who Laughs and 14 other silents. The restorations used for the Criterion editions of King of Jazz, One-Eyed Jacks, and Shanghai Express (on the Dietrich/Von Sternberg set) are from an earlier partnership.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 7, 2018

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

I think I have over 200 in my Filmstruck queue. Right now, I'm trying to clear up my Blu-ray shelf, then move to Filmstruck. I'm sort of ashamed at not having seen any Ozu besides Tokyo Story.

I haven't seen many of his but I really enjoyed Late Spring

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
floating weeds is pretty fuckin dank

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
It's been said of Ozu that he made the same movie over and over, and a lot of them certainly are very similar. I've seen 15 of his movies so far and to be honest I couldn't tell you the plots of most, and it's not that I don't like them. I'm pretty sure that most of the season titles (Late Spring, Early Spring, Early Summer, Late Autumn, The End of Summer, An Autumn Afternoon) have to do with someone getting married - with Late Spring being my favourite (I have seen it six times). One that stood out for me was Tokyo Twilight, because it's unusually dark for an Ozu movie; there's alcoholism, abandoned children, and unwanted pregnancies, and it feels more like a movie by Naruse, whose work is often very dark. (If you don't know where to start with Naruse, just go for When a Woman Ascends the Stairs. Unfortunately none of his movies are available on BD. Neither is Tokyo Twilight, btw.)

e: Say, are all movies on Filmstruck in HD?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm maybe 15 to 20 minutes into Elevator to the Gallows. I didn't realize this would be a Coen Bros-esque black comedy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Steen71 posted:

e: Say, are all movies on Filmstruck in HD?

Most that I've seen are, but a handful aren't (sadly found this out with Spirit of the Beehive, which is beautiful and deserves all the pixels it can get).

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

TrixRabbi posted:

This was exactly why I didn’t watch Criterion on Hulu. Just so many options! When Hulu announced that Criterion was leaving, I got upset but then was like “wait... I literally NEVER used it”

I hope Criterion releases Z on BluRay sometime. It’s such a good movie and would be super fitting for the world today.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/terrence-malick-tree-of-life-longer-criterion-version-1202807034/

Tree of Life Criterion coming later this year with a new 3 hour cut

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Interesting. I haven't seen Tree of Life since it first came out on blu-ray, but a new cut sounds like a good excuse to revisit it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The more Malick the better, Tree of Life has never really had a nice collector's edition type release before, that I know of. I hope they give it the same packaging as they did with The New World instead of the regular plastic case.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I bet it’ll be Criterion’s first UHD too.

This is going to be a must-own since I only saw it on DVD.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When I first saw Tree of Life it was in a double feature with Plan 9 From Outer Space of all things.

That was an...odd combination.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

drat, Criterion financed the new cut being made. That's interesting.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Raxivace posted:

When I first saw Tree of Life it was in a double feature with Plan 9 From Outer Space of all things.

That was an...odd combination.

Which played first?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Almost Blue posted:

Which played first?
Tree of Life.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

I bet it’ll be Criterion’s first UHD too.

This is going to be a must-own since I only saw it on DVD.

Is there any indication that they're moving towards UHD?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

Is there any indication that they're moving towards UHD?

We’re finally getting some big titles from the majors. They’ll probably start with easy sells like Malick, Wes Anderson, Hitchcock, and Kubrick.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I just thought I'd point you all to David Simon's thoughts on Paths of Glory - if only this could've made the disc itself.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That Tree of Life release is one of my most anticipated releases ever. Hope it lands before the sale in Nov (provided BN is still in business).

Also, good lord, the new site design is an unnavigable loving mess.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Also, good lord, the new site design is an unnavigable loving mess.

It sucks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hedwig and the Angry Inch is also coming from Criterion

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I push Thief every time a Criterion sale comes up. It’s currently on Hulu if you still haven’t seen it!

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Egbert Souse posted:

Hedwig and the Angry Inch is also coming from Criterion

Oh. Yes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

I push Thief every time a Criterion sale comes up. It’s currently on Hulu if you still haven’t seen it!

The Thief blu is amazing.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
So I realize that this is the one movie in the collection nobody cares about, but does anybody know what happened to Jellyfish Eyes 2? There's a trailer on the first movie's blu-ray, but I can't find any information about it online, not even a release date. However, it was apparently filmed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

August releases:

The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez
Smithereens
Memories of Underdevelopment
Lubitsch's Heaven Can Wait (Blu-ray)
The Tree of Life

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So Tree of Life will have 2 cuts, yeah? The info doesn't make it clear.

Also, that cover art, ehhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

So Tree of Life will have 2 cuts, yeah? The info doesn't make it clear.

Also, that cover art, ehhhh.

Yeah, 2 cuts. The theatrical cut and a new cut commissioned by Criterion.

And yeah, the new cover art is way worse. The Fox blu uses the same block patchwork as one of the poster designs.

edit; bonus features look great, if that matters.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 16, 2018