Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite math?
addition
subtraction
multiplication
division
I use the term "maths" like some imbecile
View Results

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
so most of us are used to multiplying like this on the left, but apparently they're teaching kids multiplication with cubes and stuff?

what in the world is any of this weird stuff

and then my coworker says the Chinese use a super different way to multiply and it looks like pickup sticks which is a game i never learned how to play anyway?

maybe you weird STEM goons knew this all along and im the idiot, after all I majored in what was basically woke underwater basketweaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
When you get to middle school let us know how they teach different

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Box method is always how I do math in my head, heck yeah teach kids that I just had to figure it out on my own.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Common Core is ruining our children and making them autistic so drug companies can sell more ADD meds.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
yeah 7x23 is 7x20 + 7x3 but imo teaching the boxes thing doesn’t teach u to learn that on ur own

idk I learned the old way and then one day I learned in algebra or sex Ed or something how things worked and then I saw the easy mental way to do math

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
lol @ any math that is not tonal.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
That box method is the obvious way to do maths quicker? Heck, if you don’t already have the value memorized you can go even faster by multiplying it in values of 10 and adding e.g. 23x7 becomes 70+70+21=161

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Give the kids calculators why clog your brain with tedious bullshit with no real world application

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jon Joe posted:

That box method is the obvious way to do maths quicker? Heck, if you don’t already have the value memorized you can go even faster by multiplying it in values of 10 and adding e.g. 23x7 becomes 70+70+21=161

look theres only one vote submitted in my poll and I have every reason to believe its you who voted incorrectly.

I remember having to do timed tests where we had to know all our values up to 12x12. Its weird how useful that is to this day. We had to learn it to a math themed country music song.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
59 x 27 is 500 + 500 + 350 + 90 + 90 + 63 = 1593, easy

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

look theres only one vote submitted in my poll and I have every reason to believe its you who voted incorrectly.

I remember having to do timed tests where we had to know all our values up to 12x12. Its weird how useful that is to this day. We had to learn it to a math themed country music song.

Who the gently caress votes in polls

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ort posted:

Box method is always how I do math in my head, heck yeah teach kids that I just had to figure it out on my own.

:same: I wasn't taught it in elementary school but thats what I ended up doing and everyone thought i was super smart because i could do all that poo poo quickly instead of dumb rear end longform carry the fuckwhatever method. also did something with subtractions just to round up then subtract the added since subtracting multiple of 10s was ez

jokes on them tho, im dumb as a loving rock

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

They shouldn't teach kids anything, they're only around to replace us.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
i always wondered if other countries do better in math cause their questions are all based on 10s and they dont have to waste a ton of loving time converting inches to feet to miles or gallons to quarts to pints to ounces etc etc

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
like what is a quarter of a kilometer in meters vs what is a quarter of a mile in feet

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
no goku voted 1

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Ort posted:

let it mellow posted:

yeah 7x23 is 7x20 + 7x3 but imo teaching the boxes thing doesn’t teach u to learn that on ur own

idk I learned the old way and then one day I learned in algebra or sex Ed or something how things worked and then I saw the easy mental way to do math

Jon Joe posted:

what these guys said, even though they disagree a little bit

I didn't learn the box method but it's... closer to what's actually going on?
like, the tens place, represents an amount of tens, so with ones it makes tens, with other tens it makes hundreds
carrying/displacing is a functional abstraction of that and I'm glad I know it but I could see why they would think removing the abstraction would make it more intuitive for young learners, and I could also see why adults who learned the other way would have trouble with it and how that might cause problems for parents, and I could also see why people might be concerned it would prevent children from making the leap to the less abstract meaning for themselves

which isn't to say I don't have an opinion, my opinion is I really, REALLY hope they experimentally tried this out on a small amount of children and it was proven to be effective under rigorous scrutiny
like as opposed to just some loving cabesa grande managed to talk some dummies in positions of power into upending the existing standards because it just seems like a good idea BECAUSE THERE ARE THINGS HUMAN BEINGS MISS AND YOU HAVE TO BE REALLY CAREFUL BEFORE CHANGING SOMETHING THAT WORKS

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

buglord posted:

so most of us are used to multiplying like this on the left, but apparently they're teaching kids multiplication with cubes and stuff?

what in the world is any of this weird stuff

I'm complete poo poo at math, and if you actually look at those for two seconds it isn't really all that nuts dude.

Actually seems kinda nice. The first one anyway. Makes it super visual, always a plus for non STEM people.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

UK primary schools taught the box method for multiplying like 35 years ago, how were you taught to multiply in the US in primary school?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 16, 2018

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

buglord posted:

they still do this too, a quick glance at the lattice method shows you it’s a way to multiply larger numbers, but you still need to know your times tables through 9.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i guess long form might be harder if you were stupid and didnt know how to multiply or something? idk

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think we should teach kids by putting them in the high profile world of hedge fund trading

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

this poo poo is bait. just don’t penalize students for coming across a correct solution, whatever it is. teachers missing the forest for the trees poisons a lot of minds off math and makes people think they’re bad at it, but that’s a fake idea, it’s a failure of pedagogy

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Dogmeat posted:

they still do this too, a quick glance at the lattice method shows you it’s a way to multiply larger numbers, but you still need to know your times tables through 9.

I feel like I've seen some weird poo poo where they were like
what's 5 x 8?
well, think of it this way,: 5 8's is a lot like 5 10's, which is 50, and 10 minus 8 is 2, and 2 times 5 is 10, and 50 minus 10 is 40
so 40!

and some facebook dad was like WHAT. WHAT THE gently caress? WHAT.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm not saying that either the fundamentalist understanding of mathematics is wrong.
It's been far too long for me to have an even child's grasp on this.

I do remember my math, algebra, and tire fire calculas fire lessons, however. And I do NOT hate math. I admit that I'm an idiot. And now being told that I'm an idiot that should maybe have neat cubes and stuff before I ever even got to "You're a loving idiot you loving child? Idiot moron durrr?" When I was already past that and math geeks were beating me up...

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

your friend a dog posted:

i guess long form might be harder if you were multiplying 10 digit numbers in primary school

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Hey OP, let's add a mattress, subtract our clothes, divide your legs, and multiply!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm absolute poo poo at doing math in my head. I whip out a calculator at the slightest provocation. All of these methods though are really just algorithms for doing the same thing that you can memorize if you need the ability to do math fast in your head for whatever reason.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Math

The way you learned math was once scary and new too, sorry you're too stupid and set in the old ways to adapt to newer better things.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Lattice method requires fewer steps and little kids have a hard time remembering directions longer than 2-3 steps. This is backed by some research and stuff.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
long form is literally like three steps.

step 1: multiple the first number on the bottom row with the top numbers.
step 2: add a 0 at the start for every number coming next and do as before
step 3: add them together

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I credit my TI-83 graphing calculator to my graduation of high school and college because I found out I could use its built in equation writing tool like a primitive note pad software to make cheat sheet for exams.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Guy Mann posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Math

The way you learned math was once scary and new too, sorry you're too stupid and set in the old ways to adapt to newer better things.

here's a funny song about that from the 1960s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKGV2cTgqA

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vakal posted:

I credit my TI-83 graphing calculator to my graduation of high school and college because I found out I could use its built in equation writing tool like a primitive note pad software to make cheat sheet for exams.

hell yeah

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OldAlias posted:

this poo poo is bait. just don’t penalize students for coming across a correct solution, whatever it is. teachers missing the forest for the trees poisons a lot of minds off math and makes people think they’re bad at it, but that’s a fake idea, it’s a failure of pedagogy
I got points off because my dad taught me some poo poo he learned in the New York public schools for simple algebra equations, which he was able to explain to me better than some idiot in Texas as he was my father and had extended 1 on 1 time. Anyway, I got the right answer but the process was wrong, so half credit. :smith:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ort posted:

same

Cubone
May 26, 2011

didn't they try a new math between New Math and Common Core?

I'm pretty sure there was an episode of the cosby show where one of the kids was doing math in base 12, and bill cosby was like humpty-dooooo this is all a bit much for me

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Cubone posted:

what's 5 x 8?
well, think of it this way,: 5 8's is a lot like 5 10's, which is 50, and 10 minus 8 is 2, and 2 times 5 is 10, and 50 minus 10 is 40
so 40!

This kind of thing is useful for doing math in your head that goes beyond times tables. So for example you could break 15x15 down into 15x10 which is easy and then just add 15x5, which you could further break down into 10x5 plus 5x5.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Aren't those basically the same thing written differently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Cubone posted:

what's 5 x 8?
so 40!

yeah that's a great example of why it's bad to just teach the method without any understanding. It's really useful but some guys who I suppose only learned long form can't handle a little subtraction in a multiplication problem or something.

• Locked thread