Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite math?
addition
subtraction
multiplication
division
I use the term "maths" like some imbecile
View Results

• Locked thread
your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

super sweet best pal posted:

Aren't those basically the same thing written differently?

they're literally the same thing lol

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nessus posted:

I got points off because my dad taught me some poo poo he learned in the New York public schools for simple algebra equations, which he was able to explain to me better than some idiot in Texas as he was my father and had extended 1 on 1 time. Anyway, I got the right answer but the process was wrong, so half credit. :smith:

bullshit like this is why i dropped out of high school junior year and just went to college it doesnt matter if you can do the loving math in your head you have to ~show your work~ and it drat well better be the specific version of the work that is endorsed by that teacher

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Common core turned my son gay pls help?? (urgent!)

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

OldAlias posted:

this poo poo is bait. just don’t penalize students for coming across a correct solution, whatever it is. teachers missing the forest for the trees poisons a lot of minds off math and makes people think they’re bad at it, but that’s a fake idea, it’s a failure of pedagogy

That's because the average teacher is an overpaid loving moron. Most teachers I've met have the skills of a Walmart grocery bagger but whine and moan they're not making a six figure income. Pointing out they don't work any holiday, half of December and the entire summer typically doesn't go over well.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

your friend a dog posted:

long form is literally like three steps.

step 1: multiple the first number on the bottom row with the top numbers.
step 2: add a 0 at the start for every number coming next and do as before
step 3: add them together

It's not the steps, the main problem with the standard algorithm is that the carrying is a lot to visually keep track of...you're putting your tens place carrying right on top of the ones place carrying. Box method (aka lattice method) makes the carrying easier to see where it's supposed to go.

The common core math standards (as with the previous NCTM standards that they were based on) actually let teachers incorporate a lot of different methods and introduce a lot more rigor in the mathematical tasks we ask students to do. People have an extremely negative view of it probably because along with the implementation of common core came a shitload of extra testing, most of which was used as justification to close schools.

Nessus posted:

I got points off because my dad taught me some poo poo he learned in the New York public schools for simple algebra equations, which he was able to explain to me better than some idiot in Texas as he was my father and had extended 1 on 1 time. Anyway, I got the right answer but the process was wrong, so half credit. :smith:

Yeah that's cause your teacher's a dick, not cause of common core. Unless the directions expressively stated you were supposed to use a visual model or something.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Applewhite posted:

Common core turned my son gay pls help?? (urgent!)

rape the gay outta him

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
im actually curious about these teachers that have to buy their own supplies. like when i was a kid we were expected to bring all our own supplies because the school didnt give us poo poo and all they did was stand up at the front of the classroom all day teaching from a book/ppt/handing out work sheets

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

super sweet best pal posted:

Aren't those basically the same thing written differently?

Yeah algebra pretty much is what teaches you how to do math problems in your head, I guess this is designed around multiplication tables to make it easier to learn through memorization?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I figured all this out on my own when I was really young. Its intuitive and allows you to do serious math in your head much simpler. Unfortunately I am bad at marketing

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Cubone posted:

I feel like I've seen some weird poo poo where they were like
what's 5 x 8?
well, think of it this way,: 5 8's is a lot like 5 10's, which is 50, and 10 minus 8 is 2, and 2 times 5 is 10, and 50 minus 10 is 40
so 40!

and some facebook dad was like WHAT. WHAT THE gently caress? WHAT.

Or for your same 5 x 8 problem:
10 x 8 = 80, so 5 x 8 = 40.

I run into this all the time figuring out tip when out to eat with my friends. They always hand me the check to figure it out.

Bill is $75.60? So 10% is $7.56, therefore 20% is $15.12. Pretty drat simple. Math is one of those things that is not stressed as much as it was when I was in school, and now we have kids who can't make change for a buck. Hence, less STEM students.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

UK primary schools taught the box method for multiplying like 35 years ago, how were you taught to multiply in the US in primary school?

The way we did it in the early 90s/late 80s was straight rote memorization of times tables up to 12 lmao, altho obviously they taught the carrying poo poo as well

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Max Hammer posted:

Or for your same 5 x 8 problem:
10 x 8 = 80, so 5 x 8 = 40.

I run into this all the time figuring out tip when out to eat with my friends. They always hand me the check to figure it out.

Bill is $75.60? So 10% is $7.56, therefore 20% is $15.12. Pretty drat simple. Math is one of those things that is not stressed as much as it was when I was in school, and now we have kids who can't make change for a buck. Hence, less STEM students.

sounds a lot less like a problem with math and more a problem with critical thinking

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

That's because the average teacher is an overpaid loving moron. Most teachers I've met have the skills of a Walmart grocery bagger but whine and moan they're not making a six figure income. Pointing out they don't work any holiday, half of December and the entire summer typically doesn't go over well.

On the whole, are these good/bad salaries (obviously location makes a difference).

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

How much do you make? because you are extremely fuckin stupid

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

sounds a lot less like a problem with math and more a problem with critical thinking

screw you, I don't need math to think!!!!

I think all kinds of things without it, for example: you suck!!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

jimmyjams posted:

i always wondered if other countries do better in math cause their questions are all based on 10s and they dont have to waste a ton of loving time converting inches to feet to miles or gallons to quarts to pints to ounces etc etc

my fav part of nerds who get all huffy about how metric is the superior system because it's easy to do conversions for small units that don't matter... none of them use decimal time. that's right bitches. you got your meters and kilos and you're still using ancient minutes, seconds, etc. 24 hours in a day, split into two halves? 7.5 minutes is an eighth of an hour! gently caress off

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jawdins posted:

screw you, I don't need math to think!!!!

I think all kinds of things without it, for example: you suck!!

ah!! ahhh!!!!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Dogmeat posted:

yeah that's a great example of why it's bad to just teach the method without any understanding. It's really useful but some guys who I suppose only learned long form can't handle a little subtraction in a multiplication problem or something.
right I just meant I'm not sure they still memorize the times tables

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I do my calculus and differential equations long hand.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

jimmyjams posted:

i always wondered if other countries do better in math cause their questions are all based on 10s and they dont have to waste a ton of loving time converting inches to feet to miles or gallons to quarts to pints to ounces etc etc

In a lot of those countries students who can't cut it end up going to some trade school after they're 14 or whatever

Griz
May 21, 2001

Blistex posted:

On the whole, are these good/bad salaries (obviously location makes a difference).

p loving bad considering the amount of education and certifications required

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blistex posted:

like seriously. i actually dont know anything about what teachers do, so someone please educate me. when i was a kid the teachers basically stood at the front of the room for less than eight hours, either reading from a book, a power point, or giving us worksheets. now, i know corralling a bunch of kids is a skill in and of itself but looking back nothing they actually did seems like it took much more skill than your average minimum wage worker at like a hardware store or something

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

like seriously. i actually dont know anything about what teachers do, so someone please educate me. when i was a kid the teachers basically stood at the front of the room for less than eight hours, either reading from a book, a power point, or giving us worksheets. now, i know corralling a bunch of kids is a skill in and of itself but looking back nothing they actually did seems like it took much more skill than your average minimum wage worker at like a hardware store or something

ah so that's why you ended up retarded, sorry about your piss poor schooling

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blue Train posted:

ah so that's why you ended up retarded, sorry about your piss poor schooling

nice dick... bitch..... at least i can long form... wont be needin that for ur penis

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

nice dick... bitch..... at least i can long form... wont be needin that for ur penis

Your ellipses need work

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Elukka posted:

All of these methods though are really just algorithms for doing the same thing

I hadn't thought of it that way but that's a really interesting point

it reminds me of uh
like they say if you ask people who are natively bilingual which language they think in in their head, they say it's not really either, it's just this pure form of meaning that gets translated into either language when it needs to be communicated
like that
like math is concept, and what we learn are ways of giving it form, and it can help the concept take root and it can also help the concept process faster

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Cubone posted:

didn't they try a new math between New Math and Common Core?

I'm pretty sure there was an episode of the cosby show where one of the kids was doing math in base 12, and bill cosby was like humpty-dooooo this is all a bit much for me

New Math was a curriculum which is the day to day how to teach it kind of thing, and Common Core is an attempt at creating a federal standard of when kids should know what. It doesn't mean you're getting good textbooks from the University of Chicago, kids in the south are still getting weird Texas textbooks so all the same your results may vary.

Cubone posted:

right I just meant I'm not sure they still memorize the times tables

Should be done by grade 3, according to common core. Though in my experience they kids are done with it before Christmas, most of them probably before Halloween. I mean don't forget you gotta know your times tables before you can even do the long form method.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cubone posted:

I hadn't thought of it that way but that's a really interesting point

it reminds me of uh
like they say if you ask people who are natively bilingual which language they think in in their head, they say it's not really either, it's just this pure form of meaning that gets translated into either language when it needs to be communicated
like that
like math is concept, and what we learn are ways of giving it form, and it can help the concept take root and it can also help the concept process faster

math is an arabic terrorist plot, America cowtows to the Saudis by not calling Al Jabra by it's real name

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dogmeat posted:

kids in the south are still getting weird Texas textbooks so all the same your results may vary.

It's not just the south

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Blue Train posted:

The way we did it in the early 90s/late 80s was straight rote memorization of times tables up to 12 lmao, altho obviously they taught the carrying poo poo as well

gently caress yea, you're back. :discourse:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
i learned the normal way with carrying the one and poo poo. also memorizing multiplication tables up to 12x12.

it only took me, i don't know, a year or so, to do that "box method" in my head without being taught it. also i learned to just reduce everything to 10s and add the rest or double as needed

basic math isn't hard and if you have a problem with it you might be a retard. good way to weed out the future trumps in society if you ask me

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

gently caress yea, you're back. :discourse:

:) Hi friend

Cubone
May 26, 2011

idk man I remember what I was like as a kid and I drat sure wouldn't want to put up with 30 of me, let alone 30 of neil. fuckin neil.

Dogmeat posted:

New Math was a curriculum which is the day to day how to teach it kind of thing, and Common Core is an attempt at creating a federal standard of when kids should know what. It doesn't mean you're getting good textbooks from the University of Chicago, kids in the south are still getting weird Texas textbooks so all the same your results may vary.

Should be done by grade 3, according to common core. Though in my experience they kids are done with it before Christmas, most of them probably before Halloween. I mean don't forget you gotta know your times tables before you can even do the long form method.

oh ok

thank you, I guess I could have looked that up lol

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hello I have a university education in Engineering and mathematics.

I use a calculator because having time to do long form multiplication is for suckers.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

-create a scope and sequence for the whole year, aligned to some type of standard for your subject
-within the scope and sequence design units, write a unit plan for each
-write individual lesson plans for your units
-set up your classroom in a way that appeals to multiple learning styles
-create procedures for every type of learning situation in your classroom so that you can transition between them without losing instructional time (lecture, individual work, group work, stations, etc.)
-manage student behavior, have a discipline plan in place for any situation that may arise for your students
-grade papers
-create innovative lessons that incorporate real world situations, provided that they all fit into your unit plans
-implement modifications and accommodations that students may have based on their IEP (for special ed. students) or their 504 (for students with a disability)
-contact parents and provide timely feedback
-form personal connections with students
-participate in the school community (extra-curricular activities, attend school events, supervise lunch and before/after school)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Running a cash register at a paintball site helped my mental math a ton, kids these days can't practice though, now everyone has ADHD and is retarded.

schmitty9800 posted:

-create a scope and sequence for the whole year, aligned to some type of standard for your subject
-create procedures for every type of learning situation in your classroom so that you can transition between them without losing instructional time (lecture, individual work, group work, stations, etc.)
-manage student behavior, have a discipline plan in place for any situation that may arise for your students
-grade papers
-create innovative lessons that incorporate real world situations, provided that they all fit into your unit plans
-implement modifications and accommodations that students may have based on their IEP (for special ed. students) or their 504 (for students with a disability)
-participate in the school community (extra-curricular activities, attend school events, supervise lunch and before/after school)

My memory of teaching is "we'll pay you 9 - 5, you'll work 13 hour days, and at weekends and holidays".

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 16, 2018

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I've never heard of the lattice method before, but that's actually kinda neat. Thanks OP for teaching me some maths.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

Those are all solid middle class salaries, also you get a pension and only have to work half the year. And the work that you do is reading a PowerPoint you downloaded off the internet.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

schmitty9800 posted:

-grade papers

that sounds boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

schmitty9800 posted:

-grade papers

that's true, but don't they use the same lesson plan every year? seems like a lot of that stuff is work that gets sorted out in the first year or two. i mean all that for 50-60k isnt unreasonable. i imagine there's low level office jobs that expect a similar amount of work for less

Cubone posted:

idk man I remember what I was like as a kid and I drat sure wouldn't want to put up with 30 of me, let alone 30 of neil. fuckin neil.

this is a good point though. i always thought being a teacher was dumb, even when i was a kid, because i was like "drat who'd want to deal with us all day"

• Locked thread