Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

STAC Goat posted:

I kind of was surprised by the mini-League/Legion that kind of came together last week with Supergirl, Mon El, J'onn, and Saturn Girl. I think Mon El getting a proper costume really made it feel real and if J'onn had gone Martian form it would have been awesome.

Give Saturn Girl a more comic unique uniform like Mon El and then toss in Brainaic and Martian J'onn and we got a pretty bad rear end team pose for the finale against the Super Krytonians.

And Alex, of course. Because she's earned it.

And I guess maybe you can invite James if he can remember where he left his Guardian costume. But he should give it a blue and yellow paint job first.

:dance:

Close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone on this show is the most attractive persons.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
No one makes a big deal about how any of Kara's powers can kill a normal human. Sure, she doesn't use them to hurt good people. But neither did Lena use kryptonite to hurt Kara.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But Lena's family notoriously did. Plus Kara uses her powers to do a lot of good things while Kryptonite appears to only have the sole purpose of hurting Kryptonians. And Lena hid it and then lied about it being the last of Lex's stash instead of being stuff she made with a method she developed and can replicate.

That doesn't make Lena guilty of conspiring to kill Kara or anything. Obviously there's justifiable reasons to develop Kryptonite as illustrated by using it against Reign. But Kara was concerned because of the Luthor history and because she felt personally betrayed.

The "betrayed" part is pretty shaky given that she hides her identity, asked James to break into her lab to see if she had more, and then didn't cop to it. So Kara ain't being trustworthy either. But Lena is also lying and it comes at the same time that they realize she was "harboring" a serial killing super villain for weeks without getting anyone involved. Which has some real "Luthor" megalomaniac implications. So ain't no heroes in this dispute.

Ultimately I still very much get the vibe that Lena walks a fine line between "I'm smart and want to do good and make up for my family's sins" and her mother's voice in her head saying "ONLY YOU CAN SAVE THE WORLD IF THEY'D JUST GIVE YOU TOTAL CONTROL!" I don't know if that other side will ever win but I think its being hinted at these last few episodes.

Kara and Lena are weirdly starting to follow the path of Smallville Clark and Lex. The Luthor is even hooking up with the El ex.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's definitely an interesting tenuous dynamic being set up between Kara and Lena and I hope the show continues to delve into it and do justice by it.

I don't think Kara's position was very strong this week but, at the same time, Lena was doing the thing where she was demonstrably still lying to Kara in the very same breath that she declared that there would be no more lies.

And then, of course, Kara is also still doing the same on her end.

It's practically a thing where the two of them are going "Well I'm glad we've put all that behind us now!" and a second later the narrator voice goes "They had not, in fact, put anything behind them."

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Watch them make Lena the big bad of next season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
you know that Lillian is absolutely gonna figure out/steal Lena's method of producing Kryptonite next season. It's 100% gonna happen.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Let's just hope Lena didn't "borrow" her formulation from Max Lord.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If I had to speculate Lena harbors suspicions about Supergirl because of the James/Guardian vault thing not quite reaching the Luthor level but taking one step closer. Kara finds out about it and confronts Lena. Maybe somewhere in there Lena learns that Kara is Supergirl. All of it results in pushing Lena to the point where she sees Supergirl/(Kara?) as an enemy and we get the Super vs Luthor dynamic. Lena has reasons to be angry at Supergirl and suspect her but takes it too far, Kara has guilt for her role in pushing her there. I'm not sure how James fits in there. Does he tell Kara about the vault betraying Lena or does he keep her trust and in effect betray Kara?

Maybe. It might not go that way or anyway. Maybe Lena will pull out a kryptonite weapon to take down Reign as season's end blowing it all up. I don't know but it does feel to me like the tide is pushing in that direction. Not because Lena is bad, just that the secrets and lies from both sides are eroding trust and Lena feels pushed in the direction of her family legacy.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

STAC Goat posted:

Maybe somewhere in there Lena learns that Kara is Supergirl.
I mean, there's no way she doesn't already know by now. Otherwise it would be an unbelievable coincidence that all the people she saw at the DEO last episode (including Alex, J'onn, and Winn) just happened to be at Kara's Christmas party a few episodes ago...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was fully expecting them to go that way when she and Supergirl were going back and forth about secrets. But like, they really didn't make any implication that Lena knew at all. Which genuinely shocked me. And then Lena went and confessed to Kara's ex and good friend that she lied to Supergirl. So...

Before this episode I definitely was leaning towards Lena figuring it out but after the episode I'm leaning towards Super Genius Lena hasn't figured it out. She's no Cat Grant.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm going to be very disappointed if they take the easy cheap route of turning Lena into a villain.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, for all their talk about the cape fighting they sure didn't use it at all during this week's episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I vaguely recall Mon El's cape going at Reign and her swatting it and him away.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It wasn’t very well conveyed at all, but there were a couple of moments where Kara did some weird move and Reign kind of reacted like “Wha-huh?” I just assumed those were the cape moves.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The pose off was cool but the fight scene was kinda meh. There's just so much they know to do with "a bunch of people who punch but also while flying and sometimes shooting a laser beam or something."

I get it. I understand. I'm not really here for the choreography.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Phylodox posted:

It wasn’t very well conveyed at all, but there were a couple of moments where Kara did some weird move and Reign kind of reacted like “Wha-huh?” I just assumed those were the cape moves.

I saw those as well, it definitely looks like she was trying to land it but things never lined up right do it didn't go all stretchy-CG.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

The pose off was cool but the fight scene was kinda meh. There's just so much they know to do with "a bunch of people who punch but also while flying and sometimes shooting a laser beam or something."

I get it. I understand. I'm not really here for the choreography.

The drop in budget from CBS to CW showed here. They did a great job in the first season of smashing the gently caress out of everything with superstrength and heat vision. Without money for wirework and completely loving up sets (or serious martial arts poo poo like Into The Badlands) you're down to trading blows while the camera rotates and occasional CGI fights that look like hummingbird posturing. It's perfectly passable, but season one was so good in that respect.

I am kind of here for the fight choreography.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

kaynorr posted:

The drop in budget from CBS to CW showed here. They did a great job in the first season of smashing the gently caress out of everything with superstrength and heat vision. Without money for wirework and completely loving up sets (or serious martial arts poo poo like Into The Badlands) you're down to trading blows while the camera rotates and occasional CGI fights that look like hummingbird posturing. It's perfectly passable, but season one was so good in that respect.

I am kind of here for the fight choreography.

I remember the first air fight between Kara and her aunt and holy poo poo.

The writing's way better though, I wouldn't have trusted CBS proper to handle Alex's coming out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Holy poo poo, solid burn on the Mets Brainy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol that Jimmy had his shield ready to go when Reign attacked. I bet he never even took it off when he was banging Lena.

Electricity works on Reign? :rip: Livewire

Please no Mon-El. I like you but if you stay there will totally be terrible romance drama with Kara.

Lena was right. :colbert: Lots of stuff can kill humans and we don't poo poo a brick.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol that Jimmy had his shield ready to go when Reign attacked. I bet he never even took it off when he was banging Lena.

Electricity works on Reign? :rip: Livewire

Please no Mon-El. I like you but if you stay there will totally be terrible romance drama with Kara.

Lena was right. :colbert: Lots of stuff can kill humans and we don't poo poo a brick.

If I had a rapidly deployable shield that could take a punch from a super Krytonian without a so much as a dent, drat straight I'd never take that thing off either.

Also :lol: @ Kara, well done destroying your trust and friendship with Lena for an incredibly stupid reason. Her yearly meetups with Barry are giving her contact stupid.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Lena HAS to know, right? I mean... come on.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

kefkafloyd posted:

Lena HAS to know, right? I mean... come on.

I seriously think that was just a feint to confirm her suspicions. Kara immediately going "...oh... :smith:" and she's thinking in her head "heh gotcha :smug:"

I mean I'm probably wrong because this is the goddamn CW and we can't have soap opera free bullshit but it would be great if in the end she's like "nah I was just fuckin' with you, we're cool"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also :lol: @ Kara, well done destroying your trust and friendship with Lena for an incredibly stupid reason. Her yearly meetups with Barry are giving her contact stupid.

dumbforce

I can't explain poo poo :downs:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I know there are plenty of contrivances on hand in this episode, including the stuff people have mentioned here, but can I just say that I also continue to be impressed by all the smart and believable ways that they write characters, particularly in regards to hypocrisy or calling out hypocrisy. All that stuff people were saying in this thread about Kara's reaction to kryptonite in the last episode? Is exactly what Lena brings up in this episode. It really demonstrates how the writers are, gasp, actually paying attention to the stuff that they write instead of churning out whatever will fill the airtime and then forgetting about it as soon as it's in the can.

Like...dude. We can point out peeves we have with this show and be reasonably confident that the show might actually address those peeves at some point. Y'know how rare that is on TV?

I can't fuckin' believe they keep on using this cape fighting nonsense, though. :sweatdrop:

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Hey man, the cape-fighting is the best! They really made use of that episode where Supergirl was learning how to cape-fight.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Always wear protection.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"No... leave it on"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I can't believe Ice Cream is cheating on Kara with Lena, this show's romantic plots are the worst

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lena side shading Kara to her face was the best.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I felt like that episode was hours of pure garbage. I must have looked at the time left 4 times.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Are they supposed to be setting up Lena to be a bad guy here? I know I'm preaching to the choir but I can't see myself siding with Kara "all the kryptonite on the planet should be under my control" Danvers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Kara's body language at the end there kind of gave us the clue that she knows she hosed up and crossed a line. Plus James' whole handling of the situation as he's been the one trying to see both sides.

But I think we're also supposed to recognize that Supergirl's generally done the right thing or tried to for 3 years so one mistake shouldn't be quite as open and shut as Lena sees it. Especially when Lena hasn't been forthcoming or honest either so she's more than a little self righteous. Which Kara was too, but she seemed to see the error of her ways at the end there.

So my guess is Kara feels guilty and comes clean with Lena, while Lena stays self righteous and goes full Luthor. But I wouldn't be surprised if its all a red herring and Lena ends up chilling out about it and everyone makes up in the end. We'll see. But I'm definitely expecting Full Luthor.

But we're not there yet and I don't think we're supposed to see Lena as a villain now. Just maybe be a little apprehensive that she's headed towards the bad place of megalomania and "drat lying alien." But if she goes there Kara will have played a role in unintentionally pushing her there.

Smallville.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Also, have I been tripping, or is Kara getting all eye twitchy lately? It was pretty blatant in last weeks episode (or maybe it was the week before), and I'm pretty sure she did it again last episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I thought it was a bad argument because Kryptonite only has one use, poisoning Kryptonians. If she had said that she found another use for it and that's why she was experimenting with it that would have been fine but no, she just wanted it for... reasons? Her whole thing about Supergirl breaking her trust was pretty lovely too considering she was using weasel language in her claim about not having any more Kryptonite.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's been many comic stories abo0ut using kryptonite as an energy source, that can be Lena's excuse to rub it in Supergirl's face.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

There's been many comic stories abo0ut using kryptonite as an energy source, that can be Lena's excuse to rub it in Supergirl's face.

Yea it was used as a power source for Metallo.

What if kryptonite is a clean energy source but Superman and Supergirl have been holding us back this whole time? :tinfoil:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I thought it was a bad argument because Kryptonite only has one use, poisoning Kryptonians. If she had said that she found another use for it and that's why she was experimenting with it that would have been fine but no, she just wanted it for... reasons? Her whole thing about Supergirl breaking her trust was pretty lovely too considering she was using weasel language in her claim about not having any more Kryptonite.

That would have been the perfect time to throw the Batman Green Arrow defense back at her:

Why do you have a Kyrptonite arrow? / In case an evil you ever showed up [points emphatically at Reign]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I keep joking in my head about how lucky Lena is that she's not in some kind of federal/DEO prison or something. Like... harboring an alien serial killer and hoarding a bunch of radioactive material that can be heavily weaponized has to be enough to get you a visit from some government agency. She's lucky she's friends with Alex. I mean, her brother and mom are basically massive terrorists. How does she even get on an airplane?