Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite math?
addition
subtraction
multiplication
division
I use the term "maths" like some imbecile
View Results

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Running a cash register at a paintball site helped my mental math a ton, kids these days can't practice though, now everyone has ADHD and is retarded.

That's why you pump them fill of speed obv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

a math thred

just use excel, kiddos

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

BeefThief posted:

a math thred

just use excel, kiddos

also give swirlies to nerds and math teachers

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeRRig-aGVs

LOL

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
oh that venn diagram is 100% overlap

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

your friend a dog posted:

like seriously. i actually dont know anything about what teachers do, so someone please educate me. when i was a kid the teachers basically stood at the front of the room for less than eight hours, either reading from a book, a power point, or giving us worksheets. now, i know corralling a bunch of kids is a skill in and of itself but looking back nothing they actually did seems like it took much more skill than your average minimum wage worker at like a hardware store or something

have you ever taken care of a child? or 2? let alone 30+ for 8 hours and tried to teach all of them nearly everything, equally, according to rules sent down by the federal government, your state, your district, your school and your own conscious? without offending parents? while properly, but not overly, disciplining these children when necessary? even when some might have undiagnosed learning or mental disabilities? all while being completely in charge of decorating and stocking your classroom to appeal to all these kids, planning lessons for a whole year, planning individual lessons, managing your time well enough to get everything you need done done in a school day, grading papers,. fielding calls emails and bullshit from parents?

now have you tried doing that for absolutely poo poo money?

btw all that poo poo only scratches the surface of the poo poo teachers do

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
almost 60k/year is hardly poo poo money and i know it's probably different in a lot of places but when i was a kid mostly everyone behaved and did their work and listened. no one really wants to get in trouble and get yelled at by their authority figures, at least pre middle school.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

no one really wants to get in trouble and get yelled at by their authority figures, at least pre middle school.

lmfao

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Subtraction getting owned nobody likes loving subtraction if you a sub u a sub.

Multiplication is the best that's why you can write it in a hundred different ways like ZxY, (z)(y), z*y, Z•Y

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Subtraction multiplication addition all easy it's division that is bs

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

almost 60k/year is hardly poo poo money and i know it's probably different in a lot of places but when i was a kid mostly everyone behaved and did their work and listened. no one really wants to get in trouble and get yelled at by their authority figures, at least pre middle school.

not gonna bother replying to you after this since you have outed yourself as an absolute retard

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

that's true, but don't they use the same lesson plan every year?

It depends if the curriculum has changed, or if you're teaching a subject that evolves like IT. You'd also adapt lesson plans based on performance. It's not just plans though, it's also any materials you created like presentations, quizzes, etc too, extension tasks. It's a bitch and I bailed.

Mostly I bailed though because kids bore the life out of me. They're idiots.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 16, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Damo posted:

not gonna bother replying to you after this since you have outed yourself as an absolute retard

Dogs function at like a second grade level be nice

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Blue Train posted:

Subtraction multiplication addition all easy it's division that is bs

are you the one who voted division in the thread poll?

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

i picked multiply because it sorta also means sex

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Blue Train posted:

math is an arabic terrorist plot, America cowtows to the Saudis by not calling Al Jabra by it's real name

lol

is algebra arabic? wasn't the middle east the "cradle of civilization" for a couple centuries or something, and that's why we use arabic numerals?

I'm just going to keep asking questions that I could just google the answer to
does algebra come from the same root as algae? why does my dog look at me when he poops?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ I now have a real desire to see ancient Greek/Roman engineering documents and formulas prior to Arabic numerals taking over.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It depends if the curriculum has changed, or if you're teaching a subject that evolves like IT. You'd also adapt lesson plans based on performance. It's not just plans though, it's also any materials you created like presentations, quizzes, etc too, extension tasks. It's a bitch and I bailed.

A high school math teacher who has managed to hold on to the same few classes year after year is sitting pretty preparation wise since high school math changes as often as Popes. Language arts on the other hand has some new "magic bullet" or tool introduced every few years and curriculum can change three times a decade in some jurisdictions.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Cubone posted:

why does my dog look at me when he poops?

cause he knows you have to pick up his poop and he is assuring you that he, indeed, is the master

since, you know, you pick up his literal poo poo on a daily basis

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

get yelled at by their authority figures, at least pre middle school.

Can teachers even yell these days? I knew a teacher that was reported by a kids parents because they asked a hyperactive idiot child to change seats.

Give teachers a taser quota imho.

Blistex posted:

/\ I now have a real desire to see ancient Greek/Roman engineering documents and formulas prior to Arabic numerals taking over.

A high school math teacher who has managed to hold on to the same few classes year after year is sitting pretty preparation wise since high school math changes as often as Popes. Language arts on the other hand has some new "magic bullet" or tool introduced every few years and curriculum can change three times a decade in some jurisdictions.

The math teachers I knew seemed super chill, maybe that's why.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 16, 2018

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

that's true, but don't they use the same lesson plan every year? seems like a lot of that stuff is work that gets sorted out in the first year or two. i mean all that for 50-60k isnt unreasonable. i imagine there's low level office jobs that expect a similar amount of work for less

You can't completely reuse your lesson plans because you have to adapt them to your students every year...certain concepts may take 2 days or 2 weeks to teach depending on your students' skills. You also can't use another teacher's lesson plan as it's got to fit your teaching style. You're right though, the more you do it the easier it is to plan. However if you're not revising them year by year, adding things, and adapting to changes in culture/knowledge/technology then you're a lovely teacher.

Unless you live in a high cost of living area you're not approaching that kind of salary until you've got a Master's degree and 10+ years in...average starting salary is 38K http://www.nea.org/home/2016-2017-average-starting-teacher-salary.html

Or you're at a charter with merit-based pay (the trade off there is that you don't have tenure or union protection, and you pretty much have to reapply for your job every year)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cubone posted:

lol

is algebra arabic? wasn't the middle east the "cradle of civilization" for a couple centuries or something, and that's why we use arabic numerals?

I'm just going to keep asking questions that I could just google the answer to
does algebra come from the same root as algae? why does my dog look at me when he poops?

Yes yes no yes

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Damo posted:

sorry your classes didn't behave i guess???

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Damo posted:

cause he knows you have to pick up his poop and he is assuring you that he, indeed, is the master

since, you know, you pick up his literal poo poo on a daily basis

he's a good boy

Blue Train posted:

Yes yes no yes

thx

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BONE DOG posted:

Give the kids calculators why clog your brain with tedious bullshit with no real world application

lol just lol if you can't reverse engineer high level math in your head

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

i multiply numbers in my head when i'm in a public restroom and can't piss

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BONE DOG posted:

Give the kids calculators why clog your brain with tedious bullshit with no real world application

Let the KIDS!!! Add what they want.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
This new math makes me long for a solar flare event that sets our species back so far it becomes pointless to know how to count beyond 10.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kids should learn math because its not like they're going to carry a calculator everywhere!

Technically it was a phone first

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

When you get to middle school let us know how they teach different

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Kids should learn math because its not like they're going to carry a calculator everywhere!

Technically it was a phone first

If I ran a business that required math I wouldn't trust my employees to do it correctly in their head anyway.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

it’s not so much arithmetic that’s valuable but quantitative skills around abstract reasoning and problem solving. though too few know even basics. school doesn’t do a good job of teaching you why you should care

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

like seriously. i actually dont know anything about what teachers do, so someone please educate me. when i was a kid the teachers basically stood at the front of the room for less than eight hours, either reading from a book, a power point, or giving us worksheets. now, i know corralling a bunch of kids is a skill in and of itself but looking back nothing they actually did seems like it took much more skill than your average minimum wage worker at like a hardware store or something

this is the dumbest thing ive read in a long time lol. breathtaking

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
math is everything. it is The Mountain. it is very hard, and it owns

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm pretty sure 90 percent of the people bitching about common core math are just olds who hate new things.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Elderbean posted:

I'm pretty sure 90 percent of the people bitching about common core math are just olds who hate new things.

freaking out about common core math is minions meme tier. i am not exaggerating or anything. it is what thoise ppl do online. THATS how Old and Alcoholic some ppl in GBS are, .. these days

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

super sweet best pal posted:

Aren't those basically the same thing written differently?

This describes literally everything in mathematics.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elderbean posted:

i take issue with common core because it's riddled with extraneous corpo language bullshit. it doesn't carry over to, or even teach, established terminology so there's gonna be this huge language divide between people who call it a Divisor and people who call it a Cooperative Deconstruction Informer

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

probably, and it is probably selling books like it's something new, too

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

The White Dragon posted:

Cooperative Deconstruction Informer

I feel like this is a good euphemism for an eviction notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

i mean.. thats a lot of math. like some huge polynomial with piles of stacked fractions and exponents and poo poo that simplifies to like 2 is the same thing written differently.

• Locked thread