Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

I keep joking in my head about how lucky Lena is that she's not in some kind of federal/DEO prison or something. Like... harboring an alien serial killer and hoarding a bunch of radioactive material that can be heavily weaponized has to be enough to get you a visit from some government agency. She's lucky she's friends with Alex. I mean, her brother and mom are basically massive terrorists. How does she even get on an airplane?

Because her super power is money.

Filthy, stupid, obscene amounts of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I keep joking in my head about how lucky Lena is that she's not in some kind of federal/DEO prison or something. Like... harboring an alien serial killer and hoarding a bunch of radioactive material that can be heavily weaponized has to be enough to get you a visit from some government agency. She's lucky she's friends with Alex. I mean, her brother and mom are basically massive terrorists. How does she even get on an airplane?

Why wouldn't she just take a personal jet?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

I thought it was a bad argument because Kryptonite only has one use, poisoning Kryptonians.

I mean, that's basically also true of guns and we don't see Kara taking it upon herself to get rid of those.

I get Kara's anxiety because it is like this one weird thing that renders you helpless just by being near it, but Lena's also justified because we've seen not all Kryptonians are sweetness and light. It's a tricky thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chokes McGee posted:

Because her super power is money.

Filthy, stupid, obscene amounts of money.

Is she going to make Supergirl eat the pennies?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I'm more on Lena's side here, but I'd be happier if they at least pointed out that Kryptonite could be the final death Supergirl and Superman, the last children of Krypton. It's not just personal, it's existential.

twistedmentat posted:

Is she going to make Supergirl eat the pennies?

Kara, eat the pennies. It's just pennies...so you poop pennies, big deal!

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013

I thought it was a bad argument because Kryptonite only has one use, poisoning Kryptonians. If she had said that she found another use for it and that's why she was experimenting with it that would have been fine but no, she just wanted it for... reasons? Her whole thing about Supergirl breaking her trust was pretty lovely too considering she was using weasel language in her claim about not having any more Kryptonite.

I mean, there was that Kryptonian serial killer stronger than Supergirl hanging around. Probably not a bad idea to research into Kryptonians' one weakness.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Lena pointing out Supergirl's hypocrisy to her face: A+ very good.

Imra leaving and Mon-El staying: very bad. I probably won't watch next season if he really does stay.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Slamhound posted:

I'm more on Lena's side here, but I'd be happier if they at least pointed out that Kryptonite could be the final death Supergirl and Superman, the last children of Krypton. It's not just personal, it's existential.

Kara, eat the pennies. It's just pennies...so you poop pennies, big deal!

I'm not going to eat pennies
Listen to your sidekick Supergirl and eat the pennies.
I'm not a sidekick! Eat the drat pennies already!

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

That would have been the perfect time to throw the Batman Green Arrow defense back at her:

Why do you have a Kyrptonite arrow? / In case an evil you ever showed up [points emphatically at Reign]

Not to mention how much of season 1 involved fighting Kryptonians, they've had to fight the Earth-X Supergirl, Supergirl herself became evil once, Superman has been mind-controlled twice, and Superman's backstory involved even more evil Kryptonians.

And that there have been clear examples of it being used for other purposes. The kryptonite tipped tranquiliser darts from the first episode, the kryptonite radiation combat training room, and Metallo's power source spring to mind.

This wasn't a good argument when it was between Superman and J'onn, and it isn't any better now.

I suppose these episodes are supposed to be forgotten after a while, so future episodes aren't overly burdened by past ones. The kryptonite shield is gone, so Kara can't be the one to use the kryptonite against Reign. Kara doesn't kill, ignoring all the times she has, not least of which involved turning Mon'El's mum to dust. But even then, Lena is providing them with a solution to their current threat, not some past one. Get off your high horse Kara.

Also, did Lena out Jimmy as being Guardian to Kara in the lift? This is why Supergirl doesn't trust you with her identity Lena.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I'm not going to eat pennies
Listen to your sidekick Supergirl and eat the pennies.
I'm not a sidekick! Eat the drat pennies already!

Supergirl, where did you get that cape?
That's an excellent question. I have no idea.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Slamhound posted:

Supergirl, where did you get that cape?
That's an excellent question. I have no idea.

Pick a song already!
How many Yaz albums do you have on this thing?

I'm imagining that as being Alex and Wynn

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Loved this call back to Superman the Movie and Lex Luthor (this was a deleted scene/something that was shown only in a television cut):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psDtIYqya2w

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Davros1 posted:

Loved this call back to Superman the Movie and Lex Luthor (this was a deleted scene/something that was shown only in a television cut):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psDtIYqya2w

I knew the spin was from Superman but had no idea there was more to it. Crazy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think that sequence was in the version of the film from the boxed set that came out after Returns. Or at the very least it's on the special features.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Heh, vigilantism while black.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"Lena, please stop making all these useful anti-Kryptonian devices." "Jimmy, why did you snitch about me to Lena?" At least Kara fessed up to Lena and realized she was wrong, but the damage was done.

Jimmy, your helmet needs to be made out of something stronger.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I at least appreciated Kara pointing out to Jimmy that his whole Lena confession was kind of a lovely thing for him to do as her friend. Especially since he didn't actually go through with it, so there wasn't even really a lie he had to tell. He was just basically saying "Supergirl wanted me to spy on you because she doesn't trust you, but don't worry because I trust you and would never do that." Very self-serving.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The racism subplot didn't have any real weight to it, not after Black Lightning absolutely crushed it earlier this year. But this was probably the first time they have acknowledged that James is black.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

But this was probably the first time they have acknowledged that James is black.
It's come up in the past as well, like the episode where James is the only person who can get through to the telepathic alien kid.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
James should just get the half-mask Guardian has in the comics, the one that leaves his jaw revealed. It still keeps his identity secret, but lil' kids can still be inspired by his half a face. Win-win!

loving cape-fighting, I swear to god just trying to make cape-fighting happen :doom:

I will say that Mon-El mooning for Kara is...a little...less forced and nonsensical this season. I'm still not that jazzed about it happening though.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 22, 2018

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Seems like James' story from his childhood draws from Mehcad Brooks' real life experience:

quote:

The writers and I got together, and we kinda broke the story together in some ways. I was able to tell my first experience with racism, when I was 7 years old. The freedom that they gave me to be able to tell that story, it was beyond what I thought writers were capable of. Allowing an actor to infiltrate the character in that way. I honestly have never experienced a television show, or a film, that spoke about race so eloquently. Not just the frustration or the bitterness that it can cause, but the sadness and confusion that it can cause to a 7-year-old kid. We don’t frame the debate this way, but we should. Racism, just like sexism, is one of the earliest forms of bullying, right? It’s just becoming acceptable because it’s ingrained in our culture. To have something that’s so superheroic happening, and then all of a sudden, “Oh no, he might to have to unmask,” then to bring it back to this really grounded place, was incredible for me. It was one of the highlights of my career.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/21/supergirl-mehcad-brooks-guardian-identity/

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
For a moment there I thought Kara was going cut that girls hand off. Way to wuss out CW.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

LongDarkNight posted:

For a moment there I thought Kara was going cut that girls hand off. Way to wuss out CW.

Me too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gluten Freeman posted:

Seems like James' story from his childhood draws from Mehcad Brooks' real life experience:

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/21/supergirl-mehcad-brooks-guardian-identity/

My thought during that scene was "I don't know if this is Mehcad's story, but *somebody* is definitely writing from experience here."

I kinda wish they had revealed his identity and dealt with the repercussions of that rather than letting everything go back to the status quo at the end of the episode.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
At this point, if they make Lena the villain in S4, I'm gonna be rooting for her. Kara is just being unreasonable at this point. "I don't wanna tell her my identity because I want to keep her safe". Girl, she's a Luthor, her life is already being threatened just by existing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The James storyline was nice but kind of just got lost in so much else happening in the episode. Like, ok, Alex and J'onn having a side plot to find a common link between different kinds of grief was nice and worked but then in the middle of Mon El's feelings and Kara trying to make Lena like her and cult people doing a thing and Reign just kind of around we got James trying to teach Lena a lesson about racism. It just felt unintentionally buried.

But I was really scared Lena was gonna compare it to her being judged as a Luthor, so at least we avoided that.

I'm still hoping this leads to James adopting the brighter comic costume that both makes it clear there's a black man under the mask but also takes him out of the shadows and "vigilante" role and into the "super hero" one. I think that was what they were going for there. James sees himself as a "vigilante", the young black girl saw him as a "super hero" and more of one when she realized he was black, he rejects that label at first but then says that he thinks people like her need a "hero" and he wants to be it. So I can see him adopting the more heroic costume and discarding the "vigilante" identity.

BrianWilly posted:

I will say that Mon-El mooning for Kara is...a little...less forced and nonsensical this season. I'm still not that jazzed about it happening though.
I'm kind of just hoping/assuming its all unresolved poo poo that they just need closure on. I like Mon El especially with his proper costume, but he's not especially necessary for the show. It makes more sense to send him back to the future with Saturn Girl and then have him and the Legion pop back in once a season for a few episodes with new characters.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 22, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I did like the little touches of the cult members actually Mon-El from behind, and he gets this "Seriously?" look on his face. As Superman said last season "If guns don't work, why the punching?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was another weird tonal/pacing thing this episode. Like Mon El was genuinely low key hilarious this episode with that and getting himself kidnapped. But it felt so odd in this episode packed with betrayal and grief and mental illness and racism. Mon El's just off on the side enjoying his job.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

That was another weird tonal/pacing thing this episode. Like Mon El was genuinely low key hilarious this episode with that and getting himself kidnapped. But it felt so odd in this episode packed with betrayal and grief and mental illness and racism. Mon El's just off on the side enjoying his job.

He's been away for eight years. Maybe he's just learned to take things in stride.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lena is seriously the worst scientist "Reign is actually closer to a plant." Seriously? Also the whole "we're not friends" thing seriously doesn't jibe with stuff last season where Supergirl and Lena were doing stuff together.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
That last seen with Jon and Mon El had Kara practically in the room. Doesn't she have super hearing? How did she not hear their whole conversation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lena is seriously the worst scientist "Reign is actually closer to a plant." Seriously? Also the whole "we're not friends" thing seriously doesn't jibe with stuff last season where Supergirl and Lena were doing stuff together.

Yeah, that was Lena being a catty bitch, but Kara deserved it 100% for what a lovely friend she's been to her over the last two months.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
News

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/05/20/supergirl-cw-transgender-arrowverse-casting/

quote:

The CW's Supergirl is casting a transgender character who will play a significant role in the DC Comics-based show's upcoming fourth season, ComicBook.com has learned from multiple sources.

This news originates in a casting notice for a character called “Nia Nal,” described as a transgender woman in her early 20s. The character is being cast with open ethnicity, meaning that they do not have a specific ethnic background in mind. She may be positioned to take over the newsroom, as she comes in with a strong journalism background a la Snapper Carr and is described as a “young Cat Grant type.”

Ironically, Cat Grant left the news industry to work in government, serving as press secretary to President Olivia Marsdin.

According to the casting call obtained by ComicBook.com, Jia will be “a confident, wunderkind of a fashionista. Once a political speechwriter, Nia is the newest addition to the CatCo investigative reporting team. With her she brings sparlking wit and biting humor but under that banter-y, chic facade, lays a soulful young woman who has much to offer the world.”

Warner Bros. Television has not responded to a request for a comment. Typically, the company declines to comment on casting calls and other such rumors, but we will update this story if the studio does provide one.

Cat Grant's absence after Season One -- when the show moved production from Los Angeles to Vancouver -- fundamentally altered the show's chemistry in a way that it has struggled to fully repair. The character, played by TV icon Calista Flockhart, was a major part of the series' debut season and reappeared for a few episodes in Season Two.

COMMENTS
CatCo as a whole has been a significantly smaller part of Supergirl this season, with Kara's journalism career largely back-burnered as she deals with metahuman crises. At the same time, Lena Luthor has purchased the company, tying CatCo's handful of stories to Supergirl/DEO tales almost by default. While James Olsen still nominally runs the company, he has rarely been seen there and Winn Schott left CatCo altogether to go to work for the DEO. Adding a new, recurring character based out of the company likely indicates that CatCo will play a bigger role next season.

In a surprise to absolutely nobody, people are already bitching about agendas and SJWs and it's hilariously clear none of the people bitching have actually watched the show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

News

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/05/20/supergirl-cw-transgender-arrowverse-casting/

In a surprise to absolutely nobody, people are already bitching about agendas and SJWs and it's hilariously clear none of the people bitching have actually watched the show.

It's already probably the nicest show on TV, it ticks every diversity box... well until there are more boxes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

quote:

Ironically, Cat Grant left the news industry to work in government, serving as press secretary to President Olivia Marsdin.
How is this ironic?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Bruceski posted:

How is this ironic?
It's not really ironic, but the new character is doing the reverse, going from politics to journalism

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

How is this ironic?

Ironic in the "Calista Flockhart didn't want to be a part of this show anymore, so we just got someone else to play the same character with the serial numbers filed off" way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

howe_sam posted:

It's not really ironic, but the new character is doing the reverse, going from politics to journalism

Silly me, looking for the irony in the previous sentence rather than the next one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Here let me explain it for you.

Imagine that you're going to get married and it starts to rain...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I like the trolling of a character almost named for Dream Girl being transgender. Thumbs up!