Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm glad for it. Otherwise they'd need to make Kara super stupid like Barry Allen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

GreenNight posted:

I'm glad for it. Otherwise they'd need to make Kara super stupid like Barry Allen.

Barry Allen's superpower is stupidity. That's how the speed force works, he's so mentally slow that the rest of him speeds up to balance it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Oh, funny you said that, because tonight it looks like Kara accidentally made a supervillain out of Lena Luthor because she was self-righteously stupid at the wrongest possible second.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’m like 4 episodes behind in supergirl.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh, funny you said that, because tonight it looks like Kara accidentally made a supervillain out of Lena Luthor because she was self-righteously stupid at the wrongest possible second.

The CW-itis has metastasized. I expect cry-talking next week.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I hope next season they bring back Reverse Flash and go back in time to redo the first season. Back when the show had a reason for Barry to be dumb as a rock and was fun.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

They seem to have substantially toned down the powers of kryptonians in this show compared to any other interpretations of Superman I’ve seen on screen.

Some of the cartoons did that as well. In Justice League/Unlimited he had to wear a space suit to go into space (and a diving suit for deep water).

I think it's a part of TV shows, and especially TV shows with multiple heroes teaming up, that you need heroes with more than one weakness if you’re going to create villains for them week after week. The DCEU has had three outings with Superman, and they already have the problem that he’s only being really challenged by Kryptonians or kryptonite. Three seasons of that would get pretty drat stale.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Clarke on Smallville seemed considerably faster and stronger and more resilient than Kara is on supergirl - he often had sequences in bullet time doing a bunch of stuff while everyone else in the room was frozen.

On the other hand; on smallville kryptonite was super common, and he encountered it almost every episode. The smallville lore was that Clark’s arrival also brought a destructive meteor shower that sent kryptonite everywhere; and the vast majority of metahumans were created through exposure to kryptonite.

Kryptonite seemed to be more potent on smallville compared to the effects it’s been shown to have on supergirl as well.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Lord Bude posted:

Clarke on Smallville seemed considerably faster and stronger and more resilient than Kara is on supergirl - he often had sequences in bullet time doing a bunch of stuff while everyone else in the room was frozen.

I mean, if you want to get into ~reasons~, it's because Clark has been absorbing solar radiation for at least 20-25 years longer than Kara has.

The real answer is that it's hard as poo poo to keep track of people's power levels relative to each other in a universe and really restrictive to write something that challenges Invincible God Powers Girl that isn't super (:v:) contrived. Like, I'll give the writing room a lot of poo poo for their stupid interpersonal drama subplots, but I can sympathize with writing for a Kryptonian on a week by week basis.

Loved the Eradicator shout out this week. Except J'onn's dad was involved on the project, apparently? I can't imagine Krypton being on board with an off-worlder working on that poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

It's because Lena and Kara could never be together, due to forces outside their control. It broke her.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Can you not do Supergirl spoilers in the Flash thread? I know they're only minor but still.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Credit where credit's due, that was a good sequence.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I love dumb Harry

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I kinda like this scene between Barry and Cisco.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cecile imitating everyone was :discourse: The mystery speedster girl is totally Joe and Cecile's kid.

Wait hold on. At the beginning of the episode team Flash said that DeVoe there were only a few launch sites that were able to launch all the satellites at once. But at the end he just throws them into the air in what I assume was Central City. I guess they forgot about his gravity manipulation powers?

howe_sam posted:

DeVoe stepping on that tiny soldier was loving hilarious.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone please summarize. I had to stop when the delivery guy showed up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Someone please summarize. I had to stop when the delivery guy showed up.

DeVoe managed to start The Enlightenment.

The end.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

I want someone to re-edit that opening to Return of the Mack, because that was some Damien Darhk-quality poo poo right there :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Remember when this show was fun and did fun things?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Wait hold on. At the beginning of the episode team Flash said that DeVoe there were only a few launch sites that were able to launch all the satellites at once. But at the end he just throws them into the air in what I assume was Central City. I guess they forgot about his gravity manipulation powers?

Last Week:
We can't let him launch those satellites.
Yeah, but I mean, how are we supposed to find him? I mean, we haven't been able to register DeVoe's pocket dimension energy for days.
And with Null's gravitational powers, he can launch these satellites from any place at any time.
Yeah, he can.

This Week:
Are we sure that DaVoe is going to launch the machine from an airfield?
He is shooting five satellites into synchronous orbit. That's the latitude he needs.
*DaVoe just throws them into the air from wherever*

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 16, 2018

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Cecile imitating everyone was :discourse:

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Last Week:
We can't let him launch those satellites.
Yeah, but I mean, how are we supposed to find him? I mean, we haven't been able to register DeVoe's pocket dimension energy for days.
And with Null's gravitational powers, he can launch these satellites from any place at any time.
Yeah, he can.

This Week:
Are we sure that DaVoe is going to launch the machine from an airfield?
He is shooting five satellites into synchronous orbit. That's the latitude he needs.
*DaVoe just throws them into the air from wherever*

*cough* budget *cough*

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Danielle Nicolet has been having a fuckload of fun this season :allears:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:allears:
https://i.imgur.com/J8wpJrc.mp4

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 16, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I just learned tonight that she played Shaundi in Saints Row 3 and 4 and my mind was loving blown.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh god DeVoe, SHUT THE gently caress UP.

He's literally "dern kids these days with their music and their phones!"

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

twistedmentat posted:

He's the perfect villain for these millenials, then.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Devoe must've won because after watching that I feel dumber already

Actually no I liked it, I just wanted to use that line. Not that it's a hard feat or anything, but I called this bullshit months ago: the whole season was useless and Marlese is the one who stops him at the last minute. Ugh.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

twistedmentat posted:

Because nobody ever killed each other for petty greed when all we had were sharp sticks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bruceski posted:

Because nobody ever killed each other for petty greed when all we had were sharp sticks.

Yea, this plan is really dumb, so therefor the writers are dumb. So he is Jordan Peterson.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Devoe must've won because after watching that I feel dumber already

Actually no I liked it, I just wanted to use that line. Not that it's a hard feat or anything, but I called this bullshit months ago: the whole season was useless and Marlese is the one who stops him at the last minute. Ugh.

I'm kind of hoping that it's a fake out and that she actually can't save him from himself because there's nothing there to save and DeVoe's own arrogance is ultimately what takes him out. DeVoe was a domineering creep right from the start and Marliez needs to just get away from him for good.

Also, I'm amused that the promo appears to be Barry SpeedForcing his way into DeVoe's mind to make him as dumb as he is.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
lol Killer Frost was Caitlyn's parents' science experiment gone wrong.

I mean, it's a total guess, but given that the writers aren't exactly subtle...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

lol Killer Frost was Caitlyn's parents' science experiment gone wrong.

I mean, it's a total guess, but given that the writers aren't exactly subtle...

It would explain that weird plot cul-de-sac with her mom last year.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 16, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

It would explain that weird plot cul-de-sac with her mom last year.

It kind of lines up with the comics, too, since Killer Frost happened when Caitlyn got bathed in weirdo mad science coolant. :shrug:

Also Cecil apeing Caitlyn was spooky.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
The expansion of cecilles powers will in no way tie into the defeat of the thinking bad man.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My name is Clifford DeVoe and I am the most tedious villain alive.
To the outside world I'm that smug professor who announces at the beginning of the semester that no one will be earning an 'A' and you'll have to work hard to earn a 'B', but secretly with the help of my wife I've managed to turn a once fun Superhero show on the CW into an absolute slog, with plots that feel wasted, and making an already poorly written Team Flash looking even dumber than the previous two seasons, and complaining about those drat millennials with their phones.
I am... The Thinker!

8one6 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 16, 2018

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Honestly, I think Flash has been generally bad after season 2, though there are a few highlights here and there. It's probably felt extra bad lately because Dibney died. The opening was probably the best action scene they've done on a CW superhero show though.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

My wife, while watching the episode: "Why does DeVoe keep announcing exactly how much force he's exerting on someone's lungs? Does someone on the writing staff have a crush fetish or something?"

*DeVoe shrinks a man and stomps on him*

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I actually think this season has been pretty good, on balance