Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

during the iserlohn invasion stuff he's 32. 6 y/o in 770, iserlohn invasion takes place in 796.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Did they change his age in the new one? He was 37 in the original, just barely old enough to have an adult pilot daughter

daddy

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I've been rewatching the OVA more or less in parallel with Neue These, and I realized that people coming in fresh with the remake are missing out on this rousing speech by Yang before the 13th Fleet departs.

"Sensible, isn't he?"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That would be a commander I would proudly follow.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zero_Tactility posted:

I've been rewatching the OVA more or less in parallel with Neue These, and I realized that people coming in fresh with the remake are missing out on this rousing speech by Yang before the 13th Fleet departs.

"Sensible, isn't he?"

Not exactly "Your granddaddy rode with the great Third Army and a son-of-a-goddamned-bitch named George Patton!", but it has a certain blunt appeal.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I really liked the newest episode, Schenkopp's VA is great and I don't mind his appearance. They give him some lines around the eyes that suggests his age.

And it was cool after spending so much time with the Alliance to go back to the Empire and see their stuffy decor. They really do draw a good contrast between the two.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just discovered there's a new LOGH thing being made. Is it supposed to be a straight remake?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zerilan posted:

Just discovered there's a new LOGH thing being made. Is it supposed to be a straight remake?

It’s a readaptation of the books. It’s okay so far. Nicely produced, doesn’t do a whole lot to enliven the material. Character designs and soundtrack are a bit wonky compared to the (fantastic) OVA ones.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

otoh, i feel like the designs (and overall production quality) are mostly improved in the new version, and both versions have pretty unremarkable soundtracks so that doesn't matter much. the new adaptation is (so far) only set to be 13 episodes and 3 movies though, so it'll probably only get to resolving the FPA coup and Empire civil war with stuff being cut.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The OVA's classical music soundtrack is incredible.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the pieces are good, it just feels kinda randomly selected and without much impact most of the time. the new series is presumably composing it's own stuff which is a plus, but i don't think any of it has really stood out since Astate.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P2VXC4KRJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcPIaRJ9A0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcv5pkXZCYo

Even if you ignore the obvious battle scenes being punched up by bombastic classical music, there are some great moments of irony, like the documentary where majestic and dignified music is being played against the history of Rudolph Goldenbaum right when they get to his personal failure and unhappiness. The show had a wicked sense of humor sometimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyi4Bm9m-cg

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 11, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I have no idea what the comparable budgets were per episode of the old series, but the new series feels more expensive because of modern anime cinematography and coloring.

Probably the old series cost more because they were working on cells and had to individually draw all those drat spaceships.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Almost certainly cheaper than the OVA, probably on par or more expensive than the Gaiden, but aimed at being far more profitable, as if the designs weren't a clear marking decision.

dogsicle posted:

both versions have pretty unremarkable soundtracks so that doesn't matter much.

Garbage opinion.

Zerilan posted:

New Galactic Heroes has a (mostly) fine unremarkable OST that serves the story also fine. The new FPA rendition is legit garbage and like, inexplicably awful AND a rip off of the original theme. The character designs range from good (reinhard) to fine (keirchiess) to too young looking (90 % of the rest) to loving obscenly bad (Sitoliet AKA SITHOLE)

That said, the direction is more affecting, IMO, if not as good as a historical document. It's very very pretty, though with weird changes that seems frankly arbitrary, but nothing significant really. It's a slightly straighter take on the books AKA no Dusty, so far anyway, and just dumping book exposition in the middle of episodes that was excised to Gaiden in the OVA.

It also feels a bit quicker, though barely. It's really unknown where it's going to wrap for the first season, especially since AFAIK it'll be 12 eps + 2 movies? I'm not even sure at this rate they'll make it to (mega spoilers) kirchiess's demise , unless that's the climax for the second movie.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If nothing else, 12 episodes is a lot easier to recommend to someone who might be interested but is hesitant to commit to 110 episodes up front.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I still can't believe that a non-shonen jump anime made it to 110 episodes.

Also it was all in OVA format? Did people just buy a new VHS with one episode on it as it was being released?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Ccs posted:

I still can't believe that a non-shonen jump anime made it to 110 episodes.

Also it was all in OVA format? Did people just buy a new VHS with one episode on it as it was being released?

I think it was driven by people preordering each season and then them releasing when they had enough sales or something nuts like that, then shipping them the tapes as an OVA. There's a surprisingly long production gap of a year or two between most of the seasons.

bondster
May 6, 2007

I'm a little down on how they had Iserlohn get captured in the new series. I missed the whole bit where Schenkopp and crew were raiding the central computer area and doing what they do best which is axing dudes in half. On the other hand I was actively shouting for Schenkopp to stab a dude with that fancy pen and was not disappointed. Was a little interesting to get a small flashback on Schenkopp, was that from the Gaidens?

The most worrying thing right now is that next episode is focusing on the Kastrop Rebellion, is that really worth dedicating a whole episode out of the 12 episode season to? The only reason why they would show that is to establish the Mariendoffs for Hilda's introduction but she hasn't really been shown in the credits yet (Granted Jessica Edwards wasn't in the credits either, but overall Hilda is a more important character)

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

It does seem the remake is being much more faithful to the novels (in terms of capturing without bloodshed) but added a lot of modern touches to it, with the whole scanning aspect and such.

The rebellion is done to show off two things if they are planning to do it. Kircheis' competance and his manner of leadership and to establish the Mariendoffs.

I think the people producing the show are looking at a long term view with this

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the ova scene was rad as gently caress and this version was boring. surrendering your leverage just to a small band of enemies holding a portion of your chain of command hostage is an enormous dereliction of duty, leading to hundreds of thousands of human casualties on your own end

the ova made the rosenritters really work for it

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DamnGlitch posted:

aimed at being far more profitable, as if the designs weren't a clear marking decision.

You say that like the old OVAs didn't include pretty boy designs that were marketable for their time.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

the ova scene was rad as gently caress and this version was boring. surrendering your leverage just to a small band of enemies holding a portion of your chain of command hostage is an enormous dereliction of duty, leading to hundreds of thousands of human casualties on your own end

the ova made the rosenritters really work for it

Agreed. It just seemed way too easy considering the gravity of the whole thing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I imagine it's bloodless both in the novels and new adaption both to emphasise Yang's preferred methods and to give him a straight win that cements his reputation as well as his mindset.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah its definitely shows how old the novel is with the whole capturing aspect.

I don't think the whole OVA fight scene makes sense either but I would have liked more of a resistance.

Maybe they are being too faithful to the books? I'm fine with it so far but I can see others finding fault with it

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

tsob posted:

I imagine it's bloodless both in the novels and new adaption both to emphasise Yang's preferred methods and to give him a straight win that cements his reputation as well as his mindset.

It didn't necessarily need more bloodshed to make it seem more challenging. More steps to the plan or on the fly trickery would've sufficed. As is it seemed effortless and there was basically zero suspense.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

boredsatellite posted:

It does seem the remake is being much more faithful to the novels (in terms of capturing without bloodshed) but added a lot of modern touches to it, with the whole scanning aspect and such.

The rebellion is done to show off two things if they are planning to do it. Kircheis' competance and his manner of leadership and to establish the Mariendoffs.

I think the people producing the show are looking at a long term view with this

The rebellion also shows that the Artemis Necklace isn't as flawless as people think it is, which comes into play later in the first season.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Doflamingo posted:

It didn't necessarily need more bloodshed to make it seem more challenging. More steps to the plan or on the fly trickery would've sufficed. As is it seemed effortless and there was basically zero suspense.

I don't know; the plan seemed reliant on several moments of improvisation as is, with Schenkopp making up reasons for their chase, the guys tattoo and having to negotiate the bureaucracy of the command structure. Including calling the guard's bluff about waiting for authorization. I thought the tattoo bit was genuinely tense for instance, and wondered if things would fall apart there since the guy with the tattoo seemed baffled by what to say for a second till Schenkopp covered for him.

Yang's plan was basically all or nothing, and either it'd work brilliantly with little hassle or fail completely. The only time I think more could have been done was after taking the control room but before Yang's fleet comes in to Iserlohn. A few moments with the rest of the Rosen Ritter having to deploy sleeping gas by fooling or fighting a few guards and seeing the fleet move would have been fine for me though. It's just the suddenness of the transition that's jarring.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 16, 2018

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Also the manner they got away with the security checkpoint in the OVA was kinda bullshit so I'm glad they changed it up here

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i liked this version of the invasion having more of a focus on espionage, though i can see where it loses tension for some pretty early on and then kinda drags when it comes to taking hostages. it's a bit of a shame to lose the axe fights (though they looked kinda bad in the OVA) even though Schonkopf got to show his stuff during the hostage scene. really hoping the eventual movies really deliver on Ovlessor's axe rampage as a sort of repayment. Thor's Hammer looked amazing, though i could've done without the constantly droning music. the OVA was sparing with that stuff, which is definitely a strength that was lacking here.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, I really like the OVA's animation of Thor's Hammer but the new version is great in it's own way. The roiling waves of molten metal as it powers up, followed by billowing clouds surrounding the beam as it exit's the fortress's atmosphere is amazing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I appreciate that they show the ships actually hyperspacing. They never showed that in the original, did they?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

I appreciate that they show the ships actually hyperspacing. They never showed that in the original, did they?

I have a mental image of seeing hyperspace from the perspective of the bridge of the Hyperion; though I have no clue what ep.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Steve Yun posted:

I recall they showed Geiersburg doing so.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The only hyperspace I remember was when they put a giant hyperspace engine on Geiersberg to bring it up against Iserlohn, and it was completely without a light show. Just disappeared and reappeared

Edit: yeah ^^^^

Edit: are we spoilering a 30 year old show in here

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they show when Geiersburg pops in, like the FPA scout ships have to retreat so they don't get slammed by it and there's some screen warping before a big white wormhole rips open. this is all during the credits scroll of ep31.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Steve Yun posted:

The only hyperspace I remember was when they put a giant hyperspace engine on Geiersberg to bring it up against Iserlohn, and it was completely without a light show. Just disappeared and reappeared

Edit: yeah ^^^^

Please continue to spoil it, there are newbies to the show in here, or people like me who never finished it

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

It would be courteous, given there’s a brand new show that may be bringing new people in, and covers roughly the same plot and story beats.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Steve Yun posted:

There's a remake literally ongoing right now, which people (yourself included) are actively discussing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Watched the new ep: Fine ep. The espionage stuff was fine, tho they sorta de-dramatized it with the dash for the station from the garrison missing (ova spoiler)[spoilers] unless that's from the recapture later and I'm forgetting[/spoilers]

Thor hammer was cool but not as novel as the OVA, the liquid metal is particularly not very interesting in this iteration. Disappointed they reused the shot the second time (I realize they did this in the OVA too but the cut was more detailed and terrifying, where the new firing sequence is like "woo particle effects")

Pre not-sold on whatever fat rear end chops rubinsky is rocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Alright, please accept my apologies everyone