Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I have probably 200 -300 hours on my Nioh save file

The combat is so solid that I can just play it over and over and the loot system provides tangible rewards even at that point in the game. Also super user friendly coop options

But enough of that. I just got a +10 Holy Moonlight Sword and I'm ready to take on chalices with it

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
HMS in chalices is great because its glow is very comforting in the darkest dungeons.

You were at my side all along...

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

As fun as the burial blade is it's windup is too slow. I have a maxed one and I leave it behind for BoM, Ludwig's, Whirligig, Rakuyo

Yeah, I think that the BB probably excels in transform attacks and the like, but that's no good for R1 spammers like me. The range is nice, but I prefer the Hunter's Axe as a proper 2h weapon with reach.

On an unrelated note, I have never been able to use the Kirkhammer because the aesthetics of scooting around with a large stone block on your back wrecks my head.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

HMS in chalices is great because its glow is very comforting in the darkest dungeons.

You were at my side all along...

Trying this when I get home.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Over There posted:

Trying this when I get home.

Upon discovering that the glow produces zero actual light, comfort yourself with the fact that you'll easily be able to kill the ceiling-dropping poo poo monsters.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I've been back in DS3 lately but now I wanna play Bloodborne. Might roll a SKL guy and go for the hacked chalice Burial Blade!

I did just that and it's a lot of fun! Once I got to NG+ my main weapon switched to the Rakuyo but the Burial Blade is still ridiculously useful for large bosses like Amygdala and Paarl

it's also just nice having a SKL weapon with decent rally

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
2handed Burial Blade all day erry day no shame no survivors

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Perfectly Safe posted:

On an unrelated note, I have never been able to use the Kirkhammer because the aesthetics of scooting around with a large stone block on your back wrecks my head.

That's the problem right there... Your large stone block should be firmly attached to your sword at all times, thereby allowing you to smash the everloving gently caress out of the filthy beasts.

Then you don't have to worry about the block ruining your Fashion Souls aesthetic.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
It feels weird to go from playing 60 FPS on DS2 and 3, then go back to bloodborne, but somehow its still more fluid than both.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao i'm doing FRC chalices and just died to an undead giant within two seconds of entering the boss door four times in a row

those moments you suddenly forget how to play are hilariously brutal

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

U-DO Burger posted:

lmao i'm doing FRC chalices and just died to an undead giant within two seconds of entering the boss door four times in a row

those moments you suddenly forget how to play are hilariously brutal

Is this the chain giant?

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

The Zombie Guy posted:

That's the problem right there... Your large stone block should be firmly attached to your sword at all times, thereby allowing you to smash the everloving gently caress out of the filthy beasts.

Then you don't have to worry about the block ruining your Fashion Souls aesthetic.

That's even worse (and it's not the fashion, it's the whole look of moving nimbly with a hundred kilos of stone on your back). Then you're a) ruining your sword and b) carrying a massive stone block on a stick and moving around nimbly.

I am perfectly at ease with all the other trick weapons, even though i know and occasionally think things like "well, you're not actually applying much force there, which is why swords had handles at one end and the sharp bit at the other", "that's not going to collapse easily now it's got bits of hair and flesh stuck in it", "what sort of moron has a sheath that's also a sword blade?" and "yeah, that's just going to bend straight away, mate". But the kirkhammer just tips me over the edge. It's physicality is so bluntly contrary to what you're seeing.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Is this the chain giant?

no it was just a sword giant

the shame

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

U-DO Burger posted:

no it was just a sword giant

the shame

Ah. Was it the very first one you fight or is it deeper in the dungeons?

Also just reached Maria and I forgot how much I love that fight. While the last parts can be a bit bullshit in general the fight in general is one of the best boss fights in the series.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Ah. Was it the very first one you fight or is it deeper in the dungeons?

Also just reached Maria and I forgot how much I love that fight. While the last parts can be a bit bullshit in general the fight in general is one of the best boss fights in the series.

I was doing a depth 5 FRC root chalice and he leapt at me the instant i stepped through the boss door and I kept mistiming the dodge :shrek:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Perfectly Safe posted:

Upon discovering that the glow produces zero actual light, comfort yourself with the fact that you'll easily be able to kill the ceiling-dropping poo poo monsters.

I said it was comforting, not actually useful :colbert:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think I'd rather have a sword/hammer with chains giant than a two swords giant

they all have the instakill kick so they're all cancer but the two swords ones are the worst

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

I said it was comforting, not actually useful :colbert:

To my mind, the Moonlight Greatsword is second only to the saif in terms of good weapons to have for chalice dungeons, and is probably the best swiss army knife weapon. The horizontal sweep, the arcane damage when you need it, the exquisite general moveset, the transform attacks - what is not to love? There isn't a boss that you can't ably fight with it.

The fact that it doesn't actually cast any light is disappointing; that it takes a little while to realise that it's just making your ambient light a bit greener rather than producing anything of its own is a monstrous betrayal; a wicked trick that is the true horror of Bloodborne.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The saif is one if my favourite weapons for arcane. Its moveset is just bliss and slices anything. Transformed charged R2 is really powerful too. It's indeed great for chalices.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Perfectly Safe posted:

To my mind, the Moonlight Greatsword is second only to the saif in terms of good weapons to have for chalice dungeons, and is probably the best swiss army knife weapon. The horizontal sweep, the arcane damage when you need it, the exquisite general moveset, the transform attacks - what is not to love? There isn't a boss that you can't ably fight with it.

The fact that it doesn't actually cast any light is disappointing; that it takes a little while to realise that it's just making your ambient light a bit greener rather than producing anything of its own is a monstrous betrayal; a wicked trick that is the true horror of Bloodborne.

I've been misunderstood once again! D: yeah the light isn't useful but it's comforting, and the weapon is insanely good. I've never actually tried the Saif, maybe I should sometime. That Burial Blade run comes first though.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

I've been misunderstood once again! D: yeah the light isn't useful but it's comforting, and the weapon is insanely good. I've never actually tried the Saif, maybe I should sometime. That Burial Blade run comes first though.

No, I understood :) I just took the opportunity to talk about my favourite weapons because I'm simply ghastly like that.

Saif is easymode, basically. A weapon that dodges and attacks at the same time? Sign me up. It's just brilliant for those crowds of spiders that you get in chalices. It's not so good for bosses since it has quite a narrow attack area, but that's what your second weapon slot is for.

Anyway, enjoy the BB run. I've been doing one myself and it's a nice weapon. I suspect that it really shines in PVP due to the moveset, but I avoid pvp like the plague.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ive never been a huge fan of magic builds in Souls but buttstabbing with Augur of Ebrietas never gets old. Also pulling off a successful Call Beyond is amazing.

All while swinging my arcane laser sword.

Arcaneborne

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I do not have a gun, I have a crushed eyeball that shoots soul arrows

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

I’m a level 70 baby arcane build, anyone able to help me with getting the Amygdalan arm and the HMS? On PSN as Ononbro

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Q-sixtysix posted:

I’m a level 70 baby arcane build, anyone able to help me with getting the Amygdalan arm and the HMS? On PSN as Ononbro

i can't help with the HMS atm but you should be able to get the arm without help

just keep running

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Q-sixtysix posted:

It's laying on the floor, fyi

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

ReverendDre posted:

It's laying on the floor, fyi

Oh, I thought you had to kill that BSB down Gatling Alley

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Cleric Beast: The Early Years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuraQCCsKgE

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Q-sixtysix posted:

Those are both much more strength weapons than arcane weapons.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Those are both much more strength weapons than arcane weapons.

Instead, just throw some fire gems on a beast cutter or beast hunter saif and go to town

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Hmm, that’s disappointing. I just picked both of those up, after I leveled the HMS up to +7, haha

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

it reminded me of this video that everyone has no doubt seen but it makes me laugh every time so here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBGqKwWhrOQ

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Holy Moonlight Sword is fine if you dont mind leveling STR as well. Planning to level this guy as far as possible while doing the mandatory chalices

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Holy Moonlight Sword is fine if you dont mind leveling STR as well. Planning to level this guy as far as possible while doing the mandatory chalices

unless you're talking about trophies, none of the chalices is mandatory

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

WaltherFeng posted:

HMS is not a STR weapon, it's a quality weapon. No point in going above 25 STR unless you already have 25 SKL and 50 ARC. On an ARC build I'd get to 70 or preferably 99 ARC first because everyone should experience the joy that is hunter's tools at 99 ARC.

Also, at minimum STR and SKL the HMS L2 and R2 will crush any boss or miniboss not strong against arcane. It's just a terrible walking around weapon because of the bullet use. Gem up a saw cleaver or saw spear for your long corpse-strewn constitutionals.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Araganzar posted:

HMS is not a STR weapon, it's a quality weapon. No point in going above 25 STR unless you already have 25 SKL and 50 ARC. On an ARC build I'd get to 70 or preferably 99 ARC first because everyone should experience the joy that is hunter's tools at 99 ARC.

Also, at minimum STR and SKL the HMS L2 and R2 will crush any boss or miniboss not strong against arcane. It's just a terrible walking around weapon because of the bullet use. Gem up a saw cleaver or saw spear for your long corpse-strewn constitutionals.

I liked the untransformed HMS for general killing purposes since it still had some heft to it, unless I needed a quick weapon, which I used LHB for.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!
I just use blood bullets with HMS, since the range and stopping power on the attacks that use them saves you more than the cost.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just found out today that it is possible to kill the wetnurse without her doing the whole clone thing. Also does anybody have any experience using the Amygdala Arm and just how good it is as a weapon?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It’s a fine strength weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Hunt11 posted:

Also does anybody have any experience using the Amygdala Arm and just how good it is as a weapon?

Fantastic at crowd control and faceplanting staggerable enemies from a distance, but not the best boss-killer.