Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

why do you think people want Ydwin as a companion

No idea, she is an uggo for sure and who wants to date a lady who can read your mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Still better than Aloth.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is Aloth always such a downer or do his endings affect that? Might have to rethink my party if both him and Pallegina end up huge headaches.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Avalerion posted:

Is Aloth always such a downer or do his endings affect that? Might have to rethink my party if both him and Pallegina end up huge headaches.

RIght now Aloth is bugged. he's supposed to have two different opposing disposition preferences depending on his first game ending, right now he shits on you for both, ie., no matter what you say it's wrong because the other aloth hates it.

The main thing with him now is that the Thaos headdress is waaaay better than the keybreaker scepter so mechanically having him lead the leaden key is a much better choice, but there may be ConsequencesTM for that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Eraflure posted:

Still better than Aloth.

That guy is such a little wiener, he and the uggo should date, it's not like that dude ever has spicy thoughts to read.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bongwizzard posted:

What a depressing thought.

I will be very excited when all the weirdos who want to gently caress a video game characters find something new to masturbate over so this thread evolves into being fully about much more interesting number crunching about optimal dragon-killing.

What a depressing thought that people want to read the writing in a crpg. What bitches, what losers, what nerds,

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
You guys know it’s pointless to engage with bongwizzard right. He cannot grasp the idea that human experiences and priorities other than his exist, there is no helping a solipsist :v:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

So, is it just me, or is it really hard to get your crew to mutiny? I'm doing a quick run to rack up some BB points before starting my real playthrough and I'm going for Infamous Captain. I got rid of all my food and water and just set my ship to roam aimlessly around the sea. After about a week or so I got the mutiny event. I ended it through dialog but apparently that doesn't count for surviving a mutiny. Ever since then I haven't been able to get another mutiny. My crew has been sailing around without morale, food, water, or pay for months now and it won't trigger another mutiny no matter what I do. I could always load up an old save, but I wanted to see how far this could go and it's starting to look like another mutiny isn't possible. Who knows? Anyone else have anything like this happen?

I think it took me around 10 minutes of sailing on fast speed at 1 morale for them to mutiny, i got the alternative food event about halfway through that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

RIght now Aloth is bugged. he's supposed to have two different opposing disposition preferences depending on his first game ending, right now he shits on you for both, ie., no matter what you say it's wrong because the other aloth hates it.

The main thing with him now is that the Thaos headdress is waaaay better than the keybreaker scepter so mechanically having him lead the leaden key is a much better choice, but there may be ConsequencesTM for that.

Ohhhh, that'd explain why he has both the benevolent authoritarianism and freedom preferences.

That said making Aloth hate you is apparently one of the paths into romancing him so there's that :v: I discovered that last night after starting a new game real quick to get the "make a companion hate you" achievement. My big burly Death Godlike made Aloth hate him and, in the "I hate you, Watcher" confrontation I accused him of wanting someone to fight against, then picked the "kiss him" option for laughs and it turned out I was right and he was totally into it, if confused.

So that's fun.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is Aloth fixed in the patch?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

You guys know it’s pointless to engage with bongwizzard right. He cannot grasp the idea that human experiences and priorities other than his exist, there is no helping a solipsist :v:

Oh I grasp it, I just think it's dumb. Games are made with finite time/money, when games include poo poo I don't care about or hate, those features steal time and money away from things in games I do like. Everytime the elf winks coyly at you there is one less magic dagger in the world.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Holy crap that explains a lot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Oh I grasp it, I just think it's dumb. Games are made with finite time/money, when games include poo poo I don't care about or hate, those features steal time and money away from things in games I do like. Everytime the elf winks coyly at you there is one less magic dagger in the world.

Nah man, a magic dagger is worth like at least two coy winks

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just play go, live your purist dream.

Every dagger that has art is one fewer generic-icon weapon that could add tactical options, if you believe that strongly in the fungibility of development labour. You must be very mad about spell effects!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Nah man, a magic dagger is worth like at least two coy winks

That poor elf really needs to see someone about his eye spasms :ohdear:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Just play go, live your purist dream.

Every dagger that has art is one fewer generic-icon weapon that could add tactical options, if you believe that strongly in the fungibility of development labour. You must be very mad about spell effects!

No, spell effects atleast look cool. Also Go lacks good loot tables and the upper tier powers are kinda meh.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also "coyly" looks really off, the double y is really weirding me out.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Xoti ending: 'after you divest Xoti of her virtue'. The gently caress? I did no such thing. Seems like a bug.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
If you enjoy infinity engine combat on any level, that means your brain is broken.
Pillars of eternity combat is decent enough that it adds something to the game, but playing the game solely for that also means your brain is broken.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mymla posted:

If you enjoy infinity engine combat on any level, that means your brain is broken.
Pillars of eternity combat is decent enough that it adds something to the game, but playing the game solely for that also means your brain is broken.

All of our brains are broken in unique and special ways

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

If you enjoy infinity engine writing on any level, that means your brain is broken.
Pillars of eternity writing is decent enough that it adds something to the game, but playing the game solely for that also means your brain is broken.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Eraflure posted:

If you enjoy infinity engine writing on any level, that means your brain is broken.
Pillars of eternity writing is decent enough that it adds something to the game, but playing the game solely for that also means your brain is broken.

what about torment?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Eraflure posted:

Agreed tbh.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If you enjoy things differently from me, that means your brain is broken.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Right, you’re a solipsist, I’m glad we agree.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I enjoyed Durance and GM for their writing, even if Durance was an absolute rear end about most things. Please never fix my Avellone-messed brain.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've been using different companions on my Be A Dick To Everyone run and it turns out Serafen is cooler than I expected. Good voice acting on that guy.

Should I make him a pure Cipher or a Barbarian/Cipher? Is it worth it to Frenzy him to build focus or anything like that? Carnage won't trigger with his guns I know, but I could just give him a couple axes and have him go nuts I guess.

Also, side note: I feel like some of the companion relationship milestone dialogues could use another revision or maybe a little more reactivity. I maxed out a positive relationship with Eder (super quickly, thanks to the bug) and he kept talking about how glad he is that I'm a decent person, but like I have definitely chosen a lot of cruel and aggressive options in his presence and gone right straight for the most violent solutions possible several times. I dunno, maybe he digs that.

That said, I really enjoyed the ways I could respond to his "how do you know what you're doing is right" question. The "I have a strong opinion about EVERYTHING" and "My confidence is just a trick I use to get people to follow me blindly" responses got a good laugh out of me.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
In CRPGs I usually play a generic good guy who asks for tips, so I was surprised and excited to find myself roleplaying in Deadfire and excited to start again not for major mechanical but for role play reasons. Good job!

Also the first Pillars soundtrack was good but I cannot praise Deadfire's enough.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I would have enjoyed Durance a lot more if his conversations with my benevolent kind wayfarer didn't boil down to my MC going "why yes, tell me more about that time you tortured children and killed innocents" while the rest of the team just frowns a bit I guess?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Right, you’re a solipsist, I’m glad we agree.

I think being a solipsist would lead to doubting that over views exist, I know they do, I just think they are bad and dumb and lead to crpgs being worse then they need to be.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

Wrong, idiot

bongwizzard posted:

No, spell effects atleast look cool. Also Go lacks good loot tables and the upper tier powers are kinda meh.

bongwizard lost a game of chess at the age of 5 and decided never again would he play a game he had to think about

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 16, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I think being a solipsist would lead to doubting that over views exist, I know they do, I just think they are bad and dumb and lead to crpgs being worse then they need to be.

“Other points of view than mine exist, they just all happen to be wrong”

Oh okay you sound much more reasonable now

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
magic dagger roamnce

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Buddy if you are rude just a single more time it is going to become unexplainably well known across the entire continent, so maybe be a little nicer? But not too nice, cuz that will have the same effect.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The money went towards what the backers asked for. If you wanted more daggers you should have paid for them in the first place.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

GuyUpNorth posted:

I enjoyed Durance and GM for their writing, even if Durance was an absolute rear end about most things. Please never fix my Avellone-messed brain.

i didn't like gm at all but i liked durance being such an rear end in a top hat. i didn't think his philosophy was well-thought out or anything but being a jerk without being comically evil or just greedy is unusual in videogame writing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

“Other points of view than mine exist, they just all happen to be wrong”

Oh okay you sound much more reasonable now

Not all of them, just the ones about elf-dating and it's place in tactical-lite party based crpgs. Like, it's reasonable to disagree about things, right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

corn in the bible posted:

The money went towards what the backers asked for. If you wanted more daggers you should have paid for them in the first place.

I do, in fact, regret not having backed a ship's wheel belt buckle that gave resistance to intellect afflictions

Or a volley gun

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

magic dagger roamnce

Now see, taken fully to the absurd, I become back onboard with romance in gaming as I love a good farce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

If you want solid tactical combat from a rtwp dnd style rpg you're looking in the wrong place. It has literally never happened, and never will.

The tactics in baldurs gate: use all your spells, you win. Tactics in poe: use all your spells, you win. Such development in gameplay!