Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Apparently the pirates pitching staff is leading the league with seven shutouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

shirts and skins posted:

https://twitter.com/Nationals/status/996573637347037185

Booming lightning here in DC since about 8:30 so it's a surprise they were even able to get that much in

The forecast for tomorrow is uh, not good.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
If it’s considered an official game why are they resuming it tomorrow?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jerry Dipoto also said that the money "saved" (about $12m) not paying Cano can be reinvested into getting a short-term rental for the rest of the season if necessary.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 16, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s tied.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

HEY NONG MAN posted:

It’s tied.

Ah, makes sense

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Holy poo poo. I was curious about your question and the rule book. I believe instead of "official" the term "regulation" might be the technical term.

However, looking at the 2018 rule book, there's this "exception", which baked my noodle. When the gently caress did that happen?

7.01 Regulation Games
(a) A regulation game consists of nine innings, etc., .....

EXCEPTION
: National Association leagues may adopt
a rule providing that one or both games of a double-
header shall be seven innings in length. In such games,
any of these rules applying to the ninth inning shall
apply to the seventh inning

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The Dodgers are still searching for the bottom, and I'm starting to think they might find it underneath the National League

:kingsley:

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

Melky Cabrera was hitting .346 in loving August and had people coming to the park in milkman costumes. Like you can't make that poo poo up.

and shortly before the suspension the Melk Men had started giving way to the Melk Maids

Perhaps the Giants were most upset because Melky got suspended before the team that brought you Panda Hats (Sandoval), Baby Giraffe Hats (Belt), and Official Fake Beards (Romo/Wilson) had a chance to co-opt and monetize the "Melk Men"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/996591691942445062

Never Bunt

Hit Dingers

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Kershaw is bad now

Purposeful exaggeration? He hasn't met the lofty expectations he has created for himself, but "bad" seems like a stretch.

Also, Dodgers...wow.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Ken Rosenthal's kind of a jerk.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I love Cano and it's super lovely that we're gonna lose him but given the versatility of Dee Gordon and the depth in the outfield this miiight not be the end of our hope. An OF or 2B rental should mitigate it pretty well.

Are there any good CF rental candidates out there?

edit: also Jean Segura owns

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

canadianclassic posted:

I love Cano and it's super lovely that we're gonna lose him but given the versatility of Dee Gordon and the depth in the outfield this miiight not be the end of our hope. An OF or 2B rental should mitigate it pretty well.

You can have Jake Marisnick for a couple orders of grasshoppers

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

ehhh i think we could just put ichiro in right and heredia in center if that's the case

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

canadianclassic posted:

Sounds like the plan is to move Gordon to 2B and shop for a CF rental.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Some Numbers posted:

Sounds like the plan is to move Gordon to 2B and shop for a CF rental.

Both Haniger and Heredia can play CF too. So it's basically find 1 OFer or 2B.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N:
https://twitter.com/ithrow88/status/996459073376739328
https://twitter.com/ithrow88/status/996471819522600961

V: Dan Haren is still the best

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/str8edgeracer/status/996468994671497216?s=19

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
*goes to sleep*

*wakes up*

Jesus Christ, Cleveland.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

*goes to sleep*

*wakes up*

Jesus Christ, Cleveland.

The AL Central is Very Bad (and it's super cool)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

seiferguy posted:

Both Haniger and Heredia can play CF too. So it's basically find 1 OFer or 2B.

With that farm system... can the Mariners rent anyone? They've got Lewis-who I assume is off the table, in addition to that knee. White's a unique prospect at 1B, but his ceiling is basically present-day Joe Mauer with less discipline. Carlson is a northern HS pitcher with... fine?... stuff. poo poo, even Povse's got an 8.84 ERA in AAA with nearly 7 BB/9.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Paracaidas posted:

With that farm system... can the Mariners rent anyone? They've got Lewis-who I assume is off the table, in addition to that knee. White's a unique prospect at 1B, but his ceiling is basically present-day Joe Mauer with less discipline. Carlson is a northern HS pitcher with... fine?... stuff. poo poo, even Povse's got an 8.84 ERA in AAA with nearly 7 BB/9.

We'll take your questionable prospects in exchange for Matt Kemp (who is now good again!! see??) and his contract :mrgw:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Paracaidas posted:

The Red Sox have a Rusney Castillo they probably wouldn't mind offloading for peanuts provided you're willing to pick up his full contract.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

howe_sam posted:

The Red Sox have a Rusney Castillo they probably wouldn't mind offloading for peanuts provided you're willing to pick up his full contract.

Obviously not the situation you're suggesting, but I'm now fascinated by the idea of the Red Sox or Yankees trying to boost the Mariners to the 2nd Wild Card because Paxton and the Cano-less Mariners are a more appealing opponent in the wildcard playoff than Otani and Trout.

Jokes on them, of course. Because it'll be the Twins who'll then... lose heartbreakingly to the Yankees

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
joey votto is a human being and still owns

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/996722480935993344?s=20

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You can have Jake Marisnick for a couple orders of grasshoppers

He's in the minors now. Its about time.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
so I have a doctor's appointment at the sports complex today at 11, and the royals and rays have a matinee game at 1. the weather here is perfect and tickets in the lower bowl are about $10

the royals and rays are so bad and generally uninteresting that i'm seriously considering not going

am i bad baseball fan?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

canadianclassic posted:

Take this Ellsbury...please!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Paracaidas posted:

I'm assuming anyone they get is basically going to be not a world breaker, probably an okay player that is paid too much and is on the tail end of a contract so that they would just trade random guys in the minors rather than a top prospect.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Take this Ellsbury...please!

poo poo, id offer to pay like 66% of his salary just to get him off the roster.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I hope he wrote the apology on a baseball like he did to that one fan

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Paul Zuvella posted:

poo poo, id offer to pay like 66% of his salary just to get him off the roster.

How bad is he now? I'm scared to look at his fangraphs page.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

seiferguy posted:

How bad is he now? I'm scared to look at his fangraphs page.

He's been on the DL all year, due back mid-june

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I feel so bad for Votto. Dude is a generational talent who could have gone anywhere and gotten rings by now, but he loves his dumb bad team and just wants them to put a winning product around him already.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
N:

Sydin posted:

I feel so bad for Votto. Dude is a generational talent who could have gone anywhere and gotten rings by now, but he loves his dumb bad team and just wants them to put a winning product around him already.

V:
:same:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Sydin posted:

He isn't apologizing for what he said about the Reds, I don't think those comments were out of line given his status in baseball and in the organization and don't warrant an apology.

His comments about Canada and Canadian baseball teams and players seemed pretty mean spirited and obviously upset a whole country of people that love him. Maybe he was caught at a bad time but reading that story last night it seemed out of line with his usual attitude. He played in the WBC a few times its not like he doesn't care at all, I dunno.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If Votto turned out to be a MAGA guy I would be so incredibly bummed.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I kind of see where Votto's coming from, I feel like the 'Canadian throws a no-hitter in Canada!!!' storyline sort of plays off the feeling that a lot of Americans have, which is that Canada is just one homogeneous group of people, Tim Hortons Mounties igloos hurr hurr hurr. Paxton's from BC, I doubt he has any attachment to Toronto any more than someone from, I dunno, Cleveland has to New York.

And if Canadian baseball was worth caring about from a developmental standpoint, maybe any of the guys I grew up playing with that were scholarship-worthy wouldn't have gone to play in the States, but they all did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MrMidnight posted:

He's in the minors now. Its about time.

Ouch. Wonder who they’ll call up (please not AJ Reed).

• Locked thread