Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"I'm guilty as charged...guilty...as charged..."

"Don't you dare write a song right now, Dewey!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

"I'm guilty as charged...guilty...as charged..."

"Don't you dare write a song right now, Dewey!"

The casting for The Beatles was impeccable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The casting for The Beatles was impeccable.

"I wonder if your songs'll still be poo poo when I'm sixty-four."
"THAT'S A GREAT SONG!"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Collateral posted:

#NotAllGoons

#volcel

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tree of Life was super bad though.

:catstare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't know if I'd say Tree of Life was bad, just way too long and not very memorable. I remember it being visually astounding, but I don't remember anything else about it and it's not a movie I've ever had the urge to rewatch.

Hell, maybe I would say Tree of Life was bad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Terrence Malick has been making the same movie for the last 8 years.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I do not buy Marky Marky in this role for a minute but as a huge idiot who likes the very tired counter-terrorist action movie genre I will probably see this and go oh god why did I see this movie

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't know if I'd say Tree of Life was bad, just way too long and not very memorable. I remember it being visually astounding, but I don't remember anything else about it and it's not a movie I've ever had the urge to rewatch.

Hell, maybe I would say Tree of Life was bad.

I dunno man, these composites always get me, and I don't even have kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m367at4eGso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQGbqoWJ9Lc

Together I'd say they're probably the single most evocative demonstration of childhood in all of cinema, regarding the interplay of nurture+authority

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Terrence Malick has been making the same movie for the last 8 years.

Fair, but they were all shot and edited simultaneously, so...

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I dunno man, these composites always get me, and I don't even have kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m367at4eGso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQGbqoWJ9Lc

Together I'd say they're probably the single most evocative demonstration of childhood in all of cinema, regarding the interplay of nurture+authority

lol that shits retarded, the first five minutes of where the wild things are is a million times more evocative

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the wrong kid died

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

lol that shits retarded, the first five minutes of where the wild things are is a million times more evocative

:chloe:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

grrrät rrrecörd

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

At about 28 seconds:
Camera pans over building with security forces outside

'US embassy'

Which one?

the country of 'Southeast asia'

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiHiW4N7-bo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Those movies keep getting more and more over the top, and Cruise’s stuntwork gets more and more death defying.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh hell yeah they showed a bit of the halo jump. Tom and Christopher were promoting the movie a bit ago and showed raw footage of how they filmed the scene. And by that I mean raw footage of Tom actually doing a halo loving jump multiple times because he’s loving insane.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Has there ever been another actor so driven to do the most intense poo poo all for the purpose of making the most entertaining movie they possibly can?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Wandle Cax posted:

Has there ever been another actor so driven to do the most intense poo poo all for the purpose of making the most entertaining movie they possibly can?

Jackie Chan springs to mind as the obvious one. Probably a few other matial arts/action superstars.

MI:6 looking pretty good. Glad Rebecca Ferguson is back, she was great in the last one. Restroom fight giving me True Lies vibes.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 16, 2018

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Wandle Cax posted:

Besides the aforementioned Chan, there was also Buster Keaton. I guess the commonality between all three is that they're five feet tall.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I continue to be impressed by how much this series recovered after one bad entry (MI:2). They keep getting better and better. It's at the point where I think I like these movies more than the current state of James Bond movies.

I also think Tom Cruise wants to kill himself, and is hoping to catch it on camera.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

I continue to be impressed by how much this series recovered after one bad entry (MI:2)

Shut your face MI2 was great! :mad:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They're all pretty great but the government needs to stop hiring Ethan back if he's just going to go rogue in every movie. Just have him set up an independent spy consulting agency or something

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MI2 loving owns, nerds. You got a classic John Woo dove scene with Tom Cruise and you're still whining?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

flashy_mcflash posted:

MI2 loving owns, nerds. You got a classic John Woo dove scene with Tom Cruise and you're still whining?

It's been a while, but I remember there being so many mask reveals it became ridiculous, and the flying off the motorcycles to fight each other seeming dumb. I also thought Dougary Scott made for a rather uninteresting villain. Mostly, I just thought it was boring, which never should have happened with a John Woo Mission Impossible movie. I know Woo loves his slow mo, but I remember MI:2 really overdoing it.

I didn't think "MI:2 was bad" was an unpopular opinion. Rotten Tomatoes (I know, but it's all we have for popular opinion) backs me up on this.

(I also really want to see "Mission Impossible Versus the Mob".)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 16, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

morestuff posted:

They're all pretty great but the government needs to stop hiring Ethan back if he's just going to go rogue in every movie. Just have him set up an independent spy consulting agency or something

I mean, I like the setup that the new trailer shows: if Ethan goes rogue, the CIA man will try to kill him.

Which, as implied by other parts of the trailer, 100% happens. At this point, I assume it's just an hilarious meta joke.

e: oh snap, Thandie Newton was in M:I2?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 16, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MI2 has doves, endless face mask reveals, limp bizkit / Metallica soundtrack, MOTORCYCLE DUEL, Thandie Newton ( :swoon: ). It’s a microcosm of everything 2000.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh hell yeah they showed a bit of the halo jump. Tom and Christopher were promoting the movie a bit ago and showed raw footage of how they filmed the scene. And by that I mean raw footage of Tom actually doing a halo loving jump multiple times because he’s loving insane.

Don't forget the part where he actually learned how to pilot a helicopter, and did, for those stunt scenes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

M:I 2 is the movie that gave us Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, and for that we are blessed.

It’s a shame that there is no director’s cut of it though. I’d love to see the version of the movie before the studio got involved (you know, the one that apparently exceeds a running time of 3 hours).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

MI2 has doves, endless face mask reveals, limp bizkit / Metallica soundtrack, MOTORCYCLE DUEL, Thandie Newton ( :swoon: ). It’s a microcosm of everything 2000.

Don't forget the best line of the entire franchise.

"This is not mission difficult, Mr. Hunt, it's mission impossible."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I just can't get enough of Hammerstache.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What happened to Jeremy Renner's character? I know he didn't die, but he was like, pretty okay as a bureaucrat-ish. I hope Rebecca Ferguson takes over the MI franchise, though. She was great in the last one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GrandpaPants posted:

What happened to Jeremy Renner's character? I know he didn't die, but he was like, pretty okay as a bureaucrat-ish. I hope Rebecca Ferguson takes over the MI franchise, though. She was great in the last one.

Renner was busy shooting Avengers, he couldn't do this one.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I thought he wasn't even in Avengers 3?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

Turns out there's also going to be a 4.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Almost Blue posted:

They shot 3 and 4 at the same time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I didn't think "MI:2 was bad" was an unpopular opinion. Rotten Tomatoes (I know, but it's all we have for popular opinion) backs me up on this.

(I also really want to see "Mission Impossible Versus the Mob".)

The de Palma film is better than all of those.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

They shot 3 and 4 at the same time.

Wait, they shot both films at the same time? That's nuts, no wonder it makes no goddamn sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A reasonable argument could be made for any of the M:I movies being the best depending on taste (outside of 2, of course). That's why it's such a remarkable series.

I'm partial to 3 myself.