Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

Kenji's Wursthall is worth checking out. It will take some time for them to adjust the quantities of things on the plates. The traditional pretzel is smaller than you'd expect given what you're paying but the obatzda was on point. The sausages were really decent but under seasoned.. Sauerkraut was 'meh'; like I couldn't tell that it was fermented or pickled at all. Beer selection is pretty great. Potato salad was really good. I will go back and try the schnitzel sandwich and vegan doner kebap.

I was there last night and thought it also was solid. The bratkartoffeln(crispy potatoes) are really good, salad is actually well dressed and punchy, I didn't love my al pastor sausage, but my partner got the cajun which was really good. Beer selection is on point, but they were out of a few things, so not sure what's actually on tap and what's projected to be soon.

And agreed on the kraut, it was definitely lightly fermented. I love the heavier stuff, but I know some people prefer and enjoy the lighter style, so maybe just a preference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
We got to try the following beers (vom fass) and they were all good:

German:
Andechs helles
Andechs weissbier
Weltenburger doppelbock

Other:
The horchata beer

Agreed I forgot how wonderful the salad was dressed, girlfriend noted that it didn't appear to be drenched in dressing but it was great. There was way too much of it on the plate though, I felt bad and I know they're going to realize how much is being thrown away.

I didn't really taste anything in the kraut. Was it napa cabbage?

edit: oh the sausages we had were the nurnbergers in brotchen and a thuringer. Again, delicious but not enough salt and they don't put salt on the tables.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 13, 2018

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ohh idk if you got the deviled eggs, but they were quite nice I thought as well.

According to this its just green cabbage and salt, which still should be a decent flavor, I think it was just lightly fermented, so there wasn't enough time for a lot of lactic acid to build up. There are definitely variations that are lighter, I had figured it was that, but could also be something they're still ironing out.

The salt issue I think would be hard to fix as they're buying the sausages, not making them in-house, though I supposed adding salt to the table would actually help haha.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How was the line? I'm looking to maybe grab lunch there this weekend which seems like an extremely wise and good idea for a new restaurant with good word of mouth in the bay area on St. Patrick's Day weekend

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I got there about 6, ended up being seated ~6:15 or so, though being seated probably isn't the best way to put it as it's open seating. So not that bad, but I've no idea if the rain was holding people back, etc.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I talked to Kenji, he said they're aware of the salt thing and are working on it, especially the nurnbergers. He's using ditmers and one other guy to make the sausages and it's a collaborative thing. he's not buying it off the shelf so to speak.

I got there at 5:15 (official opening time was listed as 5:30) and he was already slowly letting people in to not overwhelm FOH and BOH. Took about 35mins to get let in.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Development posted:

I'm going for hotpot tonight at Haidilao in Cupertino. Anyone been and have any recos?

e: lol expensive as gently caress. $230 for 5 people, gently caress

You've got to go check out the ones in China

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranter posted:

I got there at 5:15 (official opening time was listed as 5:30) and he was already slowly letting people in to not overwhelm FOH and BOH. Took about 35mins to get let in.
How's the atmosphere is it zoolike in any way?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What does "zoolike" mean? I was able to watch the other patrons I guess? But that would mean most restaurants are zoolike.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranter posted:

What does "zoolike" mean? I was able to watch the other patrons I guess? But that would mean most restaurants are zoolike.

So zoolike would be: too many people crammed into a small place such that it's uncomfortably tight and you have to shout in order to have a conversation

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

got off on a technicality posted:

So zoolike would be: too many people crammed into a small place such that it's uncomfortably tight and you have to shout in order to have a conversation
Really loud restaurants are all the rage right now. Not necessarily cramped, but lacking in sound dampening. I can't say I'm a huge fan of it as a trend.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Incoherence posted:

Really loud restaurants are all the rage right now. Not necessarily cramped, but lacking in sound dampening. I can't say I'm a huge fan of it as a trend.

Me neither; I remember reading that louder restaurants lead to customers spending more and/or not lingering, both of which are wins for the restaurant. I personally am loyal to quiet(er) restaurants

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
The vegan done kebab is great.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

got off on a technicality posted:

The zoos I go to seem have have lots of space and sometimes so much space the animals can't be seen, let alone heard.

I was able to have a conversation just fine and I have hearing problems.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Whew what a line

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anybody have a good rec for the kind of dimsum you order in line and it's all put into boxes to go, not the kind where you sit down and get it brought to you in carts? I normally go to Good Mong Kok but I was wondering if there was some other place I should be checking out. Doesn't have to be in SF.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Never found a good one in Oakland Chinatown, it's all very lovely quality vs. a sit-down, even the more mediocre sit-downs. Happy to be corrected and then I'll go check it out!

If you're interested in checking out a Chinese bakery that does excellent bao (no the steamed dumplings) I'll ask my work colleague who brings them for breakfast sometimes where he gets them, he said it's some joint his mum has been going to for decades and they're super good.

I have heard that Dim Sum Club is decent and does take-out steamed dumplings too.

I think the issue with the take-out joints is they're making these huge batches that can sit there a long time. A sit-down place, especially a good one with turnover, is getting you fresher stuff especially if it's one that you write down what you want on paper vs. 100% of the food is in carts. It's pricey but Hong Kong Lounge 2 is reeeeeeally good dim sum and the service is excellent.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 20, 2018

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Ranter posted:

It's pricey but Hong Kong Lounge 2 is reeeeeeally good dim sum and the service is excellent.

I haven’t been there in awhile, but my friend’s brother runs that place. Glad to know the quality still holds up.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Tell him the service level is appreciated. At some other 'good' dim sum places I feel like a second-class customer because I don't look like the majority of the clients, or they just don't give a poo poo, but at his joint I feel welcome, they make eye contact, don't seem stressed and are instead happy to help me etc. That + the excellent food brings me back 4 times in 6 months, 2 of them waiting 2 hours to get in. Worth it. Not sure why pea sprouts with garlic are $18 though. Can you ask him why dim sum places seem to mark up the steamed gai lan and pea sprout dishes so much? I love my green veg but the pricing always seems so high.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Ranter posted:

Tell him the service level is appreciated. At some other 'good' dim sum places I feel like a second-class customer because I don't look like the majority of the clients, or they just don't give a poo poo, but at his joint I feel welcome, they make eye contact, don't seem stressed and are instead happy to help me etc. That + the excellent food brings me back 4 times in 6 months, 2 of them waiting 2 hours to get in. Worth it. Not sure why pea sprouts with garlic are $18 though. Can you ask him why dim sum places seem to mark up the steamed gai lan and pea sprout dishes so much? I love my green veg but the pricing always seems so high.

The margins are probably tighter on the other dishes due to the ingredients and the time it takes to prepare, so they jack up the prices of simpler stuff to make up the shortfall. My in laws are Chinese and my FIL used to be a chef at a Chinese restaurant. I asked them once why they didn’t make dim sum stuff at home and he just laughed and told me what a pain in the rear end it was. They don’t blink over spending 2 hours cooking a meal either, so I think dim sum stuff is just high input/ low output even at restaurant quantities.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I understand restaurants make up for lower margins on some dishes by having similar priced carbs dishes and selling soda, but $18 for a plate of pea sprouts is 900% markup. If that's the answer then I'm surprised they don't up the price of their actual dim sum that is more difficult, time consuming and expensive ingredient-wise.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Any good cheap places in downtown Berkeley, around Shattuck? I'm looking for a new place to have dinner when I have class. I usually go to Pollo, Bongo Burger, or Oasis Grill. Used to go to Sliver, but they've moved.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

Anybody have a good rec for the kind of dimsum you order in line and it's all put into boxes to go, not the kind where you sit down and get it brought to you in carts? I normally go to Good Mong Kok but I was wondering if there was some other place I should be checking out. Doesn't have to be in SF.

Good Luck Dim Sum is my go to, I think they have some of the best food for the price of most dim sum places I've been to. They're at 736 Clement St in SF, and have like 6 formica tables, but mainly a to go spot. On the weekends they're turnover means it's fresh, things move out the door quickly.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

AnonSpore posted:

This is a fairly obscure one, but I highly highly recommend Oriental Tea House in San Leandro. They do a lot of to go business

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If we're talking east bay and the San Leandro/Hayward area, then Tin's Teapot > Oriental Tea House

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Anyone have take out dim sum recommendations for Berkeley/Oakland area?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranter posted:

If we're talking east bay and the San Leandro/Hayward area, then Tin's Teapot > Oriental Tea House

Never been; will have to go check that out. Any dishes in particular you recommend

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
All the staples are decent. Can't really go wrong with the siu mai, har gow, cheung fun, fried prawn dumplings with mayo etc. I'll be honest I haven't been to Oriental Tea House in a few years, but Tin's was a welcome addition to the area. Parking is a difficult when they're busy and the parking lot opposite WILL tow you, so watch out or go early.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Anyone have take out dim sum recommendations for Berkeley/Oakland area?

L&L in El Cerrito was really good but they closed a year or two ago. I went to Saigon Seafood Harbor Restaurant near the Pac East Mall for dim sum once, but as I recall I was too hung over to remember much about quality.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Kenning posted:

L&L in El Cerrito was really good but they closed a year or two ago. I went to Saigon Seafood Harbor Restaurant near the Pac East Mall for dim sum once, but as I recall I was too hung over to remember much about quality.

I’ve been to Saigon before. It was p good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Any good cheap places in downtown Berkeley, around Shattuck? I'm looking for a new place to have dinner when I have class. I usually go to Pollo, Bongo Burger, or Oasis Grill. Used to go to Sliver, but they've moved.

What do you consider cheap? I like Pedros, Imm's Thai is really good, Social Club is decent, Ikes, there's of course lots of pizza

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Are we still recommending BBQ spots? QBB in downtown Mountain View is relatively new and has the largest bourbon menu I've ever seen--nearly three full pages of their menu. My brisket sandwich was pretty good too.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
I am craving some youpo biangbiang noodles, and it has been a few years now since Iast had some in China so I have relaxed standards now probably too. Are there any recommended places in the city that do shaanxi noodles?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

waloo posted:

I am craving some youpo biangbiang noodles, and it has been a few years now since Iast had some in China so I have relaxed standards now probably too. Are there any recommended places in the city that do shaanxi noodles?

Holy poo poo I want to know this now too. I didn't know what these noodles were and looked at youtube. Noodles with vinegar and soy sounds very much like my jam. I've been dieting for the last month but this could be one of my cheat day meals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DUwj87FR6A

What is in the above video: It's like Chinese pappardelle with garlic, green onions and chili placed on top then hot oil is poured on to 'cook' them. Then there's a vinegar and soy sauce resting in the bottom of the bowl. Mix it up thoroughly. I'm salivating.

edit 2:

I am now dead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwaEEg2Y35s

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 9, 2018

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Speaking of Chinese noodles, does anyone have a good place for dao xiao mian? Never had them before but the concept of shaving noodles from dough instead of rolling it out always fascinated me.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Xaris posted:

What do you consider cheap? I like Pedros, Imm's Thai is really good, Social Club is decent, Ikes, there's of course lots of pizza

$7 to $15, generally.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

AnonSpore posted:

Speaking of Chinese noodles, does anyone have a good place for dao xiao mian? Never had them before but the concept of shaving noodles from dough instead of rolling it out always fascinated me.

Sichuan Fusion at the Pac East Mall in Richmond/El Cerrito has pretty legit dao xiao mian. I usually get the tomato beef noodles, which are sweet and mild, but I think there are also spicier preparations. And if you're going to be at Sichuan Fusion anyway, you have to get the cold beef tendon starter. I also can safely recommend the Uyghur lamb.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Sidepost that this might be somewhat useful for finding specific Chinese food things, although it's a bit of information overload and you'll still need to dig through things to see what's actually good.

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/regional-chinese-roundup-3-0-sf-bay-area/4640

Recently moved here about 9 months ago, a few recommendations from things I've tried(pretty much South Bay):

Korean BBQ: ToBang (Santa Clara)
Dim Sum: Koi Palace in Milpitas (I've heard the one in Daly City is better, but it's a lot farther for me)
$$$$$$: Laforet down by Almaden Quicksilver park

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 16, 2018

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

RoyalScion posted:

Sidepost that this might be somewhat useful for finding specific Chinese food things, although it's a bit of information overload and you'll still need to dig through things to see what's actually good.

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/regional-chinese-roundup-3-0-sf-bay-area/4640

This is pretty sweet. So much down south, and east, almost makes me wish I had a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

We have so much god drat Chinese food here in Milpitas. That and seemingly 2-3 boba shops in every single shopping center. Great if you're into it, but I really wish there was more variety here.