Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Defenestrategy posted:

I've joined your ranks as the only IT dude in a twenty-ish user environment. Any sage wisdom you guys could pass down?

Recognize that the reason your predecessor did that clearly insane thing is likely because s/he was told "make it work right now, and don't spend any money on it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

Document everything, automate as much as possible.

The more you are able to automate, the more standardized your environment becomes, the less time you have to worry about putting out fires and the more time you can spend on meaningful projects.

I agree with this. Documentation is priority #1. Do not make changes unless something is on fire if you do not know the details about how that is set up. Automation is what will allow you to accel.

I'll add that you should implement a ticketing system. Spiceworks is fine (and free) until you decide you need something better.

Actually, let me say that backups are priority #1. Make sure you have proper backups.

[Edit: Also, I would make sure you've discussed with the business owners what their expectations are for after-hours support and what it looks like when you take a sick day or are on vacation. I could never be a 1 man IT show because in almost all cases that means you are expected to be available 24/7/365.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 15, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

Actually, let me say that backups are priority #1. Make sure you have proper backups.

This means doing test restores, not just taking the software's word for it that the backup is good.

Unless it's Symantec BackupExec, at which point it's better to just assume the backup is bad and always will be and there's nothing you can do about it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thanatosian posted:

Recognize that the reason your predecessor did that clearly insane thing is likely because s/he was told "make it work right now, and don't spend any money on it."

This describes almost all IT problems. Almost.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't know, I'm pretty sure my predecessor was just a loving moron.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not just your predecessor either, it can be you two weeks ago.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Not just your predecessor either, it can be you two weeks ago.

It's morons all the way down, unfortunately.

Make no assumptions, and make sure you're backing up everything that needs backup up. Do test restores. You can be awful at everything else, but if you've got that covered you can at least be reasonably confident it's not your fuckups that'll run the company into the ground.

Limoncelli is good, read his stuff.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

I've joined your ranks as the only IT dude in a twenty-ish user environment. Any sage wisdom you guys could pass down?

Lol.

Sucker.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

Lol.

Sucker.

I'll gladly be a sucker for a decent five figgies a year after five years of being at the mercy of pell grants and a slightly better than minimum wage job walking through southern scrub lands for engineering overlords.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There is a fine line between insanity and money. Know your limits.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I'll add that you should implement a ticketing system. Spiceworks is fine (and free) until you decide you need something better.

Use anything but spiceworks.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Moey posted:

Use anything but spiceworks.

As a current spiceworks hostage, I can get behind this sentiment.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Eh, it's fine for baby's first ticketing.

Are there better free ticketing softwares out there? We're in the process of switching to FreshService and I'm not in love. I'm actually shocked with how few integrate into Outlook calendar/tasks.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Did Spiceworks ever stop doing that thing where I caught it trying to dial home to send data back after setting it not to report usage info?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Backup Chat. I'm looking for some alternatives and I would love to hear a high level on what you guys use.

I'm stuck using Backup Exec myself right now, and I hate it. I'm backing up about 14 TB of data right now. Growth rate seems to be about 40-50% a year.
A bunch of Hyper-V instances (Microsoft Failover Clustering) and a ton of raw data on file shares (I think this excludes Veeam as an option for me) that is also setup on a Failover Cluster File Server setup. There's also some MS Sql and MySQL instances. Currently I do a lot of Backup to Disk, then Duplicate to Tape (AWS Storage Gateway VTL).

Please wow me with awesome alternatives!

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Gerdalti posted:

Backup Chat. I'm looking for some alternatives and I would love to hear a high level on what you guys use.

I'm stuck using Backup Exec myself right now, and I hate it. I'm backing up about 14 TB of data right now. Growth rate seems to be about 40-50% a year.
A bunch of Hyper-V instances (Microsoft Failover Clustering) and a ton of raw data on file shares (I think this excludes Veeam as an option for me) that is also setup on a Failover Cluster File Server setup. There's also some MS Sql and MySQL instances. Currently I do a lot of Backup to Disk, then Duplicate to Tape (AWS Storage Gateway VTL).

Please wow me with awesome alternatives!

Having recently looked at Veeam I'm pretty sure it can handle that. Their Backup & Replication product (also available far more cheaply as Backup Essentials for businesses with fewer than 250 employees up to 6 CPU sockets) includes the Windows and Linux agents for physical machines.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're completely Microsoft then Azure Backup might tick all the boxes for you. Bonus is that you can have DR into Azure without having to do much extra work.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

if windows: take advantage of your ample free time to learn powershell for your next job

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Spiceworks is fine

lying is against the rules itt

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

agreed on backups priority #1

Thanatosian posted:

This means doing test restores, not just taking the software's word for it that the backup is good.

And it ALSO means making sure your backup strategy is aligned with business needs. In other words is 30 day retention enough, or 90 days? do you need to be able to restore from 1 day ago, 1 hour ago?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I don't know, I'm pretty sure my predecessor was just a loving moron.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Eh, it's fine for baby's first ticketing.

Are there better free ticketing softwares out there? We're in the process of switching to FreshService and I'm not in love. I'm actually shocked with how few integrate into Outlook calendar/tasks.

I've heard osticket is fine?
idk I spend money on helpdesk software.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I've heard osticket is fine?
idk I spend money on helpdesk software.

OSticket is, ok. I've fallen in love with Jira Service Desk. But some people might not fit into that mold.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just pay for Zendesk

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've heard good things about

https://www.jitbit.com/hosted-helpdesk/

But I've never used it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Just pay for Zendesk

yeah just beware the "Essentials" version has barely any reporting functionality so if you need to use that tier to get in the door make it clear you're gonna need to bump up to the higher plan after a few months

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

One of my peers ended up going with freshdesk and I don't know how that's going but that's another saas one to look at

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

if windows: take advantage of your ample free time to learn powershell for your next job

What do you do if you actually hate IT and you're only doing it to pay the bills before you sweet side gig totally takes off?

Don't actually answer that. I already know the answer :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A little bit more than the worst member of your team

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
What team! :v:

Its ok i'm sure i'm just going through a midlife thing.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Awhile back we acquired another agency that was on the brink of bankruptcy. The sysadmin from that agency was let go last week (he knew it was coming for a couple months, he was given ample time to look for another job) and I was finally able to remote into their network to have a look at how they're set up, etc before we migrate them over to our AD domain. Ooooooh, boy is it a mess. SBS2008, users have local admin rights, random non-IT executives are domain administrators, user accounts from people that left years ago are still active, workstations have flash and shockwave installed and there's even still some XP workstations. They only have about 50 workstations and I don't think that two of them are the same model, no standardization whatsoever. But here's the worst part, I was looking through the old admin's email to get a sense of his workload and the type of issues he dealt with, and I find out this POS was making 15% more than me :trumppop:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nice thread title

stevewm
May 10, 2005
We are in the process of acquiring 2 existing store locations. I got to take my first physical look at their equipment. There isn't a single computer less than 7 years old at either locations. And I think some of the laptops are even older. Bonus: They have some Windows XP machines. Each location has exactly one ancient HP branded 802.11b only access point, using WEP. And 10/100 HP switches.

There is no domain.

There are some thin clients connecting to a 2003 R2 server. Some of the employees browse the internet on them... using Internet Explorer.

Basically it's all getting trashed and replaced.

Also at this point I am questioning if I can call us a "small shop" anymore. Though I may still qualify given that I am the entirety of the IT "department".

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Found out the current VM setup has the data store for critical VMs on the same storage device as the backups for those VMs. With no offsite backup. The storage has encrypted drives that we don't have credentials for. So now my weekend is backing all that up and resetting it. :toot:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stevewm posted:

We are in the process of acquiring 2 existing store locations. I got to take my first physical look at their equipment. There isn't a single computer less than 7 years old at either locations. And I think some of the laptops are even older. Bonus: They have some Windows XP machines. Each location has exactly one ancient HP branded 802.11b only access point, using WEP. And 10/100 HP switches.

There is no domain.

There are some thin clients connecting to a 2003 R2 server. Some of the employees browse the internet on them... using Internet Explorer.

Basically it's all getting trashed and replaced.

Also at this point I am questioning if I can call us a "small shop" anymore. Though I may still qualify given that I am the entirety of the IT "department".

This is definitely one of those times I'd be tempted to look at deploying Chrome with Citrix or those little PCoIP boxes that are just dumb clients for Amazon WorkSpaces.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

CampingCarl posted:

Found out the current VM setup has the data store for critical VMs on the same storage device as the backups for those VMs. With no offsite backup. The storage has encrypted drives that we don't have credentials for. So now my weekend is backing all that up and resetting it. :toot:
Oh this sounds just like a company I moonlighted for a few years back. The storage was redundant so they didn't see how this could ever be a problem. I eventually built a backup target out of spare parts because they just couldn't comprehend that the lovely HP Lefthand array could fail.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On similar lines, I was doing an audit of our asset management system that also handled storing various account details. The master password for that system was stored in its own database.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Aunt Beth posted:

they just couldn't comprehend that the lovely HP Lefthand array could fail.

Oh the stories I could tell.

Adding a +1 for backup data on the same storage as production data. See thread title.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

TBF putting local backups on the same appliance in a separate storage pool is totally ok as long as youre still pushing it off site somewhere.

Not all storage appliances are fetid garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Digital_Jesus posted:

TBF putting local backups on the same appliance in a separate storage pool is totally ok as long as youre still pushing it off site somewhere.

Not all storage appliances are fetid garbage.

Not unless your RTO is the same for offsite as it is for onsite. And this being the small shop thread, that is doubtful.