Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

calmly debating isn't possible with some people. It always escalates. Like if someone in my family says to my grandfather something even mildly complimentary about Obama he instantly escalates into "what the gently caress did you just say you little poo poo" mode. If you try to keep it calm he accuses you of thinking you're smarter than him which makes him more mad.

why are you talking to a person like this at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

You sound like a little bitch, OP.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Dyna Soar posted:

why are you talking to a person like this at all

Because I like holiday dinners.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
0 far I just cave immediately

Whats the point?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Because I like holiday dinners.

be sure not to mention anything that your rear end in a top hat granddad might disagree with then

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
One time out bowling my buddy's wife beat him in a close game and he swore it was because his ball didn't come back out for the final frame so he had to use a different one. If he had the ball he used all game for the final frame he would have won, he claimed. His wife didn't care but he kept this one-sided argument going for 20 minutes because his wife wouldn't say verbatim that he would have won with his ball. She ended up Ubering home by herself crying.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Pfft, women can be so temperamental

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Dyna Soar posted:

be sure not to mention anything that your rear end in a top hat granddad might disagree with then

I learned that years ago. My other family members are more stubborn than I am about being "right" about politics and bring Obama up all the time just to antagonize him. It's actually pretty entertaining entertaining to sit on the sidelines and listen to, plus they are probably going to get written out of his will if they keep it up which means more for me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

calmly debating isn't possible with some people. It always escalates. Like if someone in my family says to my grandfather something even mildly complimentary about Obama he instantly escalates into "what the gently caress did you just say you little poo poo" mode. If you try to keep it calm he accuses you of thinking you're smarter than him which makes him more mad.

if someone asks if you think you are smarter than them always say "yes"

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

I learned that years ago. My other family members are more stubborn than I am about being "right" about politics and bring Obama up all the time just to antagonize him. It's actually pretty entertaining entertaining to sit on the sidelines and listen to, plus they are probably going to get written out of his will if they keep it up which means more for me.

i just dont see my rear end in a top hat relatives, ever

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

My grampa is always trying to goad me into a political argument because we had a shouting match about capitalism once when I was seventeen and he got a kick out of it.

I love him too much to yell at him about politics now which makes me the winner by default

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

fist4jesus posted:

Currently on holiday with wifey and the in-laws.
After a semi argument one night I slept in and missed breakfast.

Come lunchtime I just couldn't be hosed. Wasn't hungry and had a nice ocean view spot.

Wife lost her poo poo. Crying stomping around, and then complaining that I'm wasting her money by not eating (its included)

So I said gently caress it then, I won't eat until we leave.
Now both her and the in-laws are giving me all sorts of poo poo. And as a result im digging in.

Its now been four days lol.
Im a fatass, I'll be fine.

Welcome to the Republican party

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Probably not a surprise to anyone, but law school is full of dipshits who say “I want to be a lawyer because I like to argue!” But they don’t realize that you’re ultimately supposed to zealously argue for your client’s rights, not about which loving Marvel character is problematic.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Rutibex posted:

if someone asks if you think you are smarter than them always say "yes"

Even better: "I don't think I'm smarter than you; I know I am."

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Maybe this is the place to ask, since I haven't figured out how to deal with someone who goes so extreme in an argument they decide I'm flat out calling them stupid. Like, we'll be having a perfectly rational discussion, disagree on something, and then this person will just go 'You're just calling me dumb' and I'm just floored at how infuriating that counterargument is. It's like disagreeing is a form of insult to their intelligence. Should I just let them be ashamed of themselves and leave them alone forever?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Maybe this is the place to ask, since I haven't figured out how to deal with someone who goes so extreme in an argument they decide I've just called them stupid for disagreeing. Like, we'll be having a perfectly rational discussion, disagree on something, and then this person will just go 'You're just calling me dumb' and I'm just floored at how infuriating that counterargument is. It's like disagreeing is a form of insult to their intelligence. Should I just let them be ashamed of themselves and leave them alone forever?

drop it and if that person does it every time you disagree with him, sever

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Maybe this is the place to ask, since I haven't figured out how to deal with someone who goes so extreme in an argument they decide I'm flat out calling them stupid. Like, we'll be having a perfectly rational discussion, disagree on something, and then this person will just go 'You're just calling me dumb' and I'm just floored at how infuriating that counterargument is. It's like disagreeing is a form of insult to their intelligence. Should I just let them be ashamed of themselves and leave them alone forever?

You can't reason with irrational people, instead give em the Forest Whitaker eye

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
you and your wife deserve each other op

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008

sounds like the person really is dumb has nothing else to say so hes trying to flip it and make you feel bad so he can feel good even though hes dumb and lost

tell him its okay to be wrong and he doesnt have to take it as a blow against his ego, every time you discuss something with someone with a differing opinion is a chance for learning and perspective

or just tell him hes dumb, and now that youve gotten that out of the way you can continue or respond with "and youre just insulting my integrity"

discarded box fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 16, 2018

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'll cave, but they will loving pay for it later

Absolutely. :devil:

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Woah cool av spinster

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

gary oldmans diary posted:

op gets banned but holds out knowing lowtax will eventually break first and give him his account back

Worked with black baby goku

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
My father once tried to tell me that SPIDERS WEREN'T ANIMALS, rather than admit that I'd gotten a spider identification right and he had not.
I don't even remember the logic or lack thereof. I was just kind of baffled.

I can be stubborn in an argument but I like to think I won't ever reach the retarded depths of 'spiders are not animals'.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Also this is one of my favorite arguments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uznUlgpKBzE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm willing to punch nazis in order to settle an argument

• Locked thread