Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

also you need to slow your av down

If it's any slower it's over the file size limit :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's obviously going to be a game set in early 60s Africa where you play as a newly independent state and must deal with internal struggles as well as external problems of neo-colonialism, CIA backed coups, and the French being assholes.

The Paradox Forums will love it.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
It's whatever time period had Old Great Bulgaria.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's obviously going to be a game set in early 60s Africa where you play as a newly independent state and must deal with internal struggles as well as external problems of neo-colonialism, CIA backed coups, and the French being assholes.

So basically the 1988 Hidden Agenda, only set in Africa instead of Central America?

I'd play that.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

wukkar posted:

It's whatever time period had Old Great Bulgaria.

Finally, what we've all been waiting for- the full paradox release of Steppe Wolf.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

really queer Christmas posted:

Finally, what we've all been waiting for- the full paradox release of Steppe Wolf.

They're finally gonna release Magna Mundi.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'd play Paradox' Tropico.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I'm 50/50 between Rome 2 or something completely new and unexpected.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Johann could post "they speak latin there!" in his next teaser and some of you would immediately conclude it was a 19th century economic simulator set in Kenya.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lum_ posted:

Johann could post "they speak latin there!" in his next teaser and some of you would immediately conclude it was a 19th century economic simulator set in Kenya.

..."he means the Latin Monetary Union, of course! Vicky 3 confirmed!"

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sankara: 1945-2035 would own

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

axeil posted:

I'm pretty sure this means the Vicky 3 hopes are truly dead. Religion didn't do anything in Vicky 2 except provide flavor.

It affected some pop behaviors and of course political parties all had their own religious stances from moralism to atheism. That sounds quite a lot like "religion is present but not the most important thing".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Fister Roboto posted:

It affected some pop behaviors and of course political parties all had their own religious stances from moralism to atheism. That sounds quite a lot like "religion is present but not the most important thing".

Yep, can't forget those wonderful religious stances. Quoting from issues.txt from V2's game files here, which describes the effects of party issues:

code:
religious_policy = {
		pro_atheism = {
			#no effect
		}
		secularized = {
			#no effect
		}
		pluralism = {
			#no effect
		}
		moralism = {
			#no effect
		}
	}

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TheMcD posted:

Yep, can't forget those wonderful religious stances. Quoting from issues.txt from V2's game files here, which describes the effects of party issues:

code:
religious_policy = {
		pro_atheism = {
			#no effect
		}
		secularized = {
			#no effect
		}
		pluralism = {
			#no effect
		}
		moralism = {
			#no effect
		}
	}

It didn't have a direct affect on the country, but it did have an affect on immigration. If the ruling party is moralist, minority religions are more likely to emigrate, and pops are more likely to choose provinces that share their religion as migration targets.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The game is called Rome 2 but is actually Victoria 3.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mantis42 posted:

Paradox announces Rome 2

colon: Garibaldi's Dream

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Teaser 6: The next game title rhymes with "Shmome Stew"

Victoria 3 confirmed!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TheMcD posted:

code:
religious_policy = {
		pro_atheism = {
			#no effect
		}
		secularized = {
			#no effect
		}
		pluralism = {
			#no effect
		}
		moralism = {
			#no effect
		}
	}

It didn't have any direct effect on the country, but it obviously affected politics. Moralist pops were more likely to vote for moralist parties and so on.

Besides, that's still "religion is present but not the most important thing".

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Doesn't Paradox have two secret titles currently brewing, and only one of them is being announced at PDXCon? Or both?

Why yes this is me rationalizing the inevitable disappointment I will feel when they announce anything that isn't Victoria 3

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Vae Victoria!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

In a weird twist, the game is actually called Albert

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pakled posted:

It didn't have a direct affect on the country, but it did have an affect on immigration. If the ruling party is moralist, minority religions are more likely to emigrate, and pops are more likely to choose provinces that share their religion as migration targets.

Sure, though the effect is minor at best (a 0.1 factor change compared to say, a -0.3 factor change if the state has any factories), but it still might as well just not exist for all it does.

Like, yeah, pops that are, say, in favor of Pluralism, will vote for Pluralist parties, but as far as the game is concerned, Pluralism, Secularism and Atheism are all functionally identical, which still confuses me as to whether this was intended or if they just ran out of time to add something to religion.

Really, I have no point here beyond "man, religion in Vicky 2 seemed really pointless" and just really felt like posting that snippet out of issues.txt because it amuses me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Drone posted:

Doesn't Paradox have two secret titles currently brewing, and only one of them is being announced at PDXCon? Or both?

Why yes this is me rationalizing the inevitable disappointment I will feel when they announce anything that isn't Victoria 3

Paradox has one, and Triumph has one, both are being announced at PDXCon.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

TheMcD posted:

Sure, though the effect is minor at best (a 0.1 factor change compared to say, a -0.3 factor change if the state has any factories), but it still might as well just not exist for all it does.

Like, yeah, pops that are, say, in favor of Pluralism, will vote for Pluralist parties, but as far as the game is concerned, Pluralism, Secularism and Atheism are all functionally identical, which still confuses me as to whether this was intended or if they just ran out of time to add something to religion.

Really, I have no point here beyond "man, religion in Vicky 2 seemed really pointless" and just really felt like posting that snippet out of issues.txt because it amuses me.

This could even be deliberate. As societies advance and industrialize, the impact of religion on governance diminishes while still remaining incredibly important to the populace. And so you should see politicians adopting a religious stance, which factors heavily into the voting and immigration behavior of pops, but that doesn't actually change much about the government or affairs of state beyond helping to identify acceptable targets.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Fister Roboto posted:

It didn't have any direct effect on the country, but it obviously affected politics. Moralist pops were more likely to vote for moralist parties and so on.

Besides, that's still "religion is present but not the most important thing".

Also that doesn't rule out that in Victoria 3, Religion might have more of an effect on how things work without going to the extent of modifiers it gives in EUIV or creating political blocs like it does in CK2.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Victoria 3 is ruled out by them having explicitly ruled out it being Victoria 3 :v:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

AnoHito posted:

Victoria 3 is ruled out by them having explicitly ruled out it being Victoria 3 :v:

But not by "religion is present but not the most important thing". :colbert:

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

AnoHito posted:

Hmm maybe this is actually anal attentive trolling. Iirc they ruled out Vicky 3 but not Victoria 3.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If there was ever a company that would "rule out" a game and then immediately announce it, it's Paradox.

That said, it's clearly Sengoku 2.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

when do they announce victoria 3

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
really don't care about anything other than Victoria 3

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I;m thinkin about thos Pops

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

When you kill a soldier pop in a war, do you ever consider the fact that you're lowkey killing the wife and average of two kids that the pop also represented?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

When you kill a soldier pop in a war, do you ever consider the fact that you're lowkey killing the wife and average of two kids that the pop also represented?

tbh I always forget that pops are only adult males. Hopefully when Vicky 3 is announced, as it soon will be, they'll remember that women and children exist too. I mean, especially since child labour was one of the major issues of the period.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Look, he's the one who thought that bringing his family to the Chinese Hellwar was a good idea.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Funky Valentine posted:

Look, he's the one who thought that bringing his family to the Chinese Hellwar was a good idea.

which chinese hellwar?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Gonna laugh if it's Stellaris 2 (with Crusader Kings style politics.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Gonna laugh if it's Stellaris 2 (with Crusader Kings style politics.)

I'd smile :)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Certainly curious to see how a modern Paradox resign of pops would look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fintilgin posted:

Certainly curious to see how a modern Paradox resign of pops would look.

Look no further to stellaris!

:(