Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yes, reading about a thing and learning how it works is always useful.

But thinking you're going to set up a firewall including site-to-site VPN and NAT by reading a manual is absolutely foolish. It's edge security, and if you don't know what you're doing you should be loving around with it. Leave it to professionals who have experience.

how do you get experience if you don't gently caress around with it? :getin:

Horrible page snipe, I guess content: Client called with a OMG EMERGENCY ESCALATE!!!*#$! Apparently they have an application log that's all sorts of fucky, it keeps changing from their timezone to UTC and back, apparently it's been a problem for a long time (how is this an emergency if you're just now noticing it), he keeps hammering that it's the windows system changing the time. I dug through the logs, no time changes, he takes a 2 minute video showing the time changing in the logs, the whole time the windows system is staying the same time. Nah buddy, your application is doing loving weird poo poo, call the vendor.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Always interesting to see the speeds I get over the atlantic, however my local speeds are a tad better (I pay $50 for my 250 fibre - they deliver up to 1 GBPS but I see no need for it)

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

ChubbyThePhat posted:

For whatever it's worth, I always punch above my weight in applications. That thing I cannot presently do? Don't worry about it, I'll have it sorted and know it inside and out soon enough. Sure it means I probably get a lot more rejections, but I feel like it will eventually land me something pretty solid.

This is something I learned from this forum and it has helped me tremendously.
Almost 3 years in IT know. One of these days i'll get rid of imposter syndrome.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Sefal posted:

This is something I learned from this forum and it has helped me tremendously.
Almost 3 years in IT know. One of these days i'll get rid of imposter syndrome.

Best of luck. I've been in the industry almost 20 years and it still hits me. Just need to keep reminding yourself that you know this poo poo and you are more than a professional googler though it feels like some days that's all you do

Edit: So a ticket came in.

User reporting sage is throwing an error 'object manager not installed' when logging in to sage on one desktop. Multiple users, same desktop same issue. Do a quick search online to see if there is a quick fix. Only solution, delete the registration dll off the sage sql server, import the one from the previous version of sage and reregister it.

Thanks sage, ill try reinstalling the software on the desktop first.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 15, 2018

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of my newer teammates has a pretty bad case of impostor syndrome. I wish my advice would stick for longer than a week though because having the same conversation with her every Friday isn't particularly constructive.

edit: I'm on call this week and a ticket came in. Got a call from a different team, they want me to facilitate a meeting between a client and vendor outside of office hours. So I just spent 2 hours trying to call a client who doesn't pick up the phone and whose email address magically rejects every mail I send there. Easiest overtime hours I ever wrote and tomorrow when I wake up that ticket goes back where it came from.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 15, 2018

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sprechensiesexy posted:

... whose email address magically rejects every mail I send there.

I had some dumbass 3rd party vendor I had to contact that would reject my email due to the signature; converted it to plain text and it would send fine. No idea if that is at all relevant in your situation.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

So, on the advice of neogeo, posting here. I'm currently looking for work in IT, but at 26 haven't had much luck even with some (~2 years) of helldesk experience. I'm currently going to school for an AS in Systems Administration, but have no certs yet because I have basically no money with which to pay for the test. I can only afford school because of Pell Grants. Hell, I don't even know which certs I should go for.

I feel like I'm on the edge of being a goon in a well - despite being willing to learn and work my way up, I can't even get my foot in the loving door.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

dragonshardz posted:

So, on the advice of neogeo, posting here. I'm currently looking for work in IT, but at 26 haven't had much luck even with some (~2 years) of helldesk experience. I'm currently going to school for an AS in Systems Administration, but have no certs yet because I have basically no money with which to pay for the test. I can only afford school because of Pell Grants. Hell, I don't even know which certs I should go for.

I feel like I'm on the edge of being a goon in a well - despite being willing to learn and work my way up, I can't even get my foot in the loving door.

The thread you're looking for is here. Goonspeed

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm imposter syndrome-ing hard in my new job. Every time I think I have a vague idea that I can do my job, I sit in on a meeting where an analyst who's been on the job 3 months makes me feel like I know nothing. By the end of the meeting I feel again like I have an understanding of what's going on, but then off to the next meeting where I have literally nothing to contribute.

My co-workers all seem smarter than me. Their work is highly complex and it takes me an hour or two to understand what the gently caress their script is even doing. I would have no loving clue how to do it myself. And most of them have been there less than a year because it's a new and rapidly growing company, so they brought this knowledge in.

My core knowledge is networking, Cisco, and the AD stack. I've been assigned to NSX. I'm so far out of my element here and feel like I've dug my own grave.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My core knowledge is networking, [...] I've been assigned to NSX. I'm so far out of my element here and feel like I've dug my own grave.

Start socking that money away to buy a boat, before you're found out for the fraud you are.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So my pretty bizarre workplace finally bought all the poo poo we need, some has come now, some is coming soon, all is well. :smith:
Of course I forgot that this means I'm like 5x busier as a team of one, and executive requests are flying in night and day.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 16, 2018

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Imposter syndrome sucks so hard. I feel for you all.

I have an in-person interview tomorrow evening for a spot that would be a pretty significant bump. I expect it to kick in pretty hard by the time I get home.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SeaborneClink posted:

Start socking that money away to buy a boat, before you're found out for the fraud you are.

That, or he ends up getting promoted

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Does it still count as imposer syndrome if I'm actually really dumb for real

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renegret posted:

Does it still count as imposer syndrome if I'm actually really dumb for real

Well you are a dog in a headset. I assumed you had some kind of Chicken Boo situation going.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well you are a dog in a headset. I assumed you had some kind of Chicken Boo situation going.

Despite popular belief, I am not actually my avatar irl

Because I don't use a headset. I just put all my calls on speaker and crank the volume for everyone to hear.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm imposter syndrome-ing hard in my new job. Every time I think I have a vague idea that I can do my job, I sit in on a meeting where an analyst who's been on the job 3 months makes me feel like I know nothing. By the end of the meeting I feel again like I have an understanding of what's going on, but then off to the next meeting where I have literally nothing to contribute.

My co-workers all seem smarter than me. Their work is highly complex and it takes me an hour or two to understand what the gently caress their script is even doing. I would have no loving clue how to do it myself. And most of them have been there less than a year because it's a new and rapidly growing company, so they brought this knowledge in.

My core knowledge is networking, Cisco, and the AD stack. I've been assigned to NSX. I'm so far out of my element here and feel like I've dug my own grave.

It's really tough to be the person who needs to kinda learn on the job. Is there a coworker you feel friendly with that you can talk to about resources for self-educating?

Try to remember that you were hired for the position for good reasons. Even if your technical skills in this particular area are still being honed, you're bringing something to the team that's valued. It might be soft skills, it might be your overall approach to problem-solving, it might be your ability to grasp concepts, it might be that your existing knowledge has some application to your current role. You can continue to trust in what you know and what you've got even as you work on mastering new poo poo.

You're gonna be okay.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

Try to remember that you were hired for the position for good reasons. Even if your technical skills in this particular area are still being honed, you're bringing something to the team that's valued. It might be soft skills, it might be your overall approach to problem-solving, it might be your ability to grasp concepts, it might be that your existing knowledge has some application to your current role. You can continue to trust in what you know and what you've got even as you work on mastering new poo poo.

You're gonna be okay.

This is truth. I had to REALLY step up my game in my current platform, and it took me a couple of months to fill in a lot of gaps in my skill set. My old job had a lot of stuff set up for me and I just used it. In this job, I had to do all of that stuff myself and learn how to do it at the same time. It's been 4 years and I'm still refining some of that stuff.

Also: there's nothing more humbling intellectually than going to a conference and having dinner with the guy who actually designs the chips that run the platform I work on.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

my cat is norris posted:

It's really tough to be the person who needs to kinda learn on the job. Is there a coworker you feel friendly with that you can talk to about resources for self-educating?

You're gonna be okay.

I know eventually it's going to be OK. They're sending me to a class for my VCP6-NV so I can turbo-catchup on NSX. But their primary pain point is the first two guys hired for the role are bad about documenting and managing processes, and beyond IT knowledge that's a soft-skill that I've really refined. My boss wants me to soak up as much insider knowledge I can and start writing that poo poo down. In that regard, I can start producing measurable results very quickly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Johnny Aztec posted:

That, or he ends up getting promoted

poo poo, that's how all but one of my bosses got promoted. No tech skills, no people skills, but you'll come in on time because they're assholes about everything.

What do you mean the turnover rate is high?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm imposter syndrome-ing hard in my new job. Every time I think I :words:

Pro-Tip if you want to get rid of impostor syndrome: Interview people for your position

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ratbert90 posted:

Pro-Tip if you want to get rid of impostor syndrome: Interview people for your position

Oh god I'm still trying to block out having to interview for my replacement at my last job. Most of the interviews ended with guilt towards my boss about leaving.

Made me feel loving great about myself though, that tip absolutely works.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

my cat is norris posted:

You're gonna be okay.

Yeah, this is something I struggle with a lot, and the manager that hired me on at $NEW_JOB is really good at reinforcing this. When I was brought on he really drove in on the "I can teach tech skills; I can't teach you how to not be a shithead to customers" idea, and every time I feel out of my depth he's really good at helping me find mentoring resources and gets me over the technical hurdle because he values my soft skills and ability to de-escalate hostile clients.

It doesn't make the imposter syndrome any less pronounced, but it helps knowing I have an outlet.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Oh god I'm still trying to block out having to interview for my replacement at my last job. Most of the interviews ended with guilt towards my boss about leaving.

Made me feel loving great about myself though, that tip absolutely works.

Keep your head down, learn, make mistakes and fix them. Engineering is about failing twice for every success. Aptitude is far more important than having the smarts RIGHT NOW!

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

ratbert90 posted:

it is *insane* how accurate this is. I thought I knew loving nothing about being a sysadmin, and then thought I knew nothing about working in infosec. I've interviewed my replacement and then my team lead, respectively, and holy poo poo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly if you're reading this thread you're probably fine anyway. Like you might be an idiot now but if you're aware of that, you can make an effort to not be as much of an idiot in the future.

7 years of being an idiot, this subforum has helped me through quite a bit of it by making me realise that jobs being lovely can be fixed, people being lovely can be fixed and as a person you can always grow and improve.

Now if you excuse me, i've got to figure out why the gently caress I can't get windows to stop changing poo poo to open with edge even though i've specifically told it to never use edge. Simple problems, but i'm feeling dumb today so i can't solve it in five minutes. IT idiot! Woo!

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I get to post my first ever :yotj:!

I decided to make a career change into IT in mid-2016 by going back to school. I got lots of feedback here on both sides of the school question, but in my case it ended up being invaluable based on just the connections I made. Even though it was a lovely community college, it got me my first IT job doing help desk and network admin work. I worked my rear end off and got 5 certs (waiting for a result on a 6th right now) and read these threads every day. I may not post that often but I saw similar advice to this:

ChubbyThePhat posted:

For whatever it's worth, I always punch above my weight in applications. That thing I cannot presently do? Don't worry about it, I'll have it sorted and know it inside and out soon enough. Sure it means I probably get a lot more rejections, but I feel like it will eventually land me something pretty solid.

and when I got laid off last month, started applying to jobs that were way above my experience level. Yesterday I heard back from the one I was most excited about and next Monday I start a new role as an SRE, exactly the direction I had hoped to take my career, but way ahead of how long I expected it to take me to get there.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

96 Port Hub posted:

I get to post my first ever :yotj:!

I decided to make a career change into IT in mid-2016 by going back to school. I got lots of feedback here on both sides of the school question, but in my case it ended up being invaluable based on just the connections I made. Even though it was a lovely community college, it got me my first IT job doing help desk and network admin work. I worked my rear end off and got 5 certs (waiting for a result on a 6th right now) and read these threads every day. I may not post that often but I saw similar advice to this:

and when I got laid off last month, started applying to jobs that were way above my experience level. Yesterday I heard back from the one I was most excited about and next Monday I start a new role as an SRE, exactly the direction I had hoped to take my career, but way ahead of how long I expected it to take me to get there.

Nice, grats

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Renegret posted:

Despite popular belief, I am not actually my avatar irl

Because I don't use a headset. I just put all my calls on speaker and crank the volume for everyone to hear.

You kid but I used to do that when I worked at a help desk. It was 2nd/3rd shift, my manager gave me an over the ear headset that wasn’t usable if you wear glasses (which I do), and the cord on my phone was like 6 inches. The headset was on of this ones that hooks over the top of your ear right where my glasses sit and since it was old it was huge and heavy. Think like a Plantronics Mirage but 2x the bulk.

I got told to stop and I asked for a functional headset which I never got so I never stopped. Eventually they just took me off the phones and had me work on other projects.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I asked for a functional headset which I never got ... Eventually they just took me off the phones

Congrats on getting the best possible outcome for you!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Going from "damnit my phone won't stop ringing" to "what the hell, my phone's ringing?" Is magical.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Also: there's nothing more humbling intellectually than going to a conference and having dinner with the guy who actually designs the chips that run the platform I work on.

This happens to me a lot. Problem with S3? Here. Here’s one of the guys that wrote S3. EC2? Here’s the Distinguished Engineer of EC2 networking.

Cool guys, but holy poo poo are they wicked smart. “Me? Uh. I wrote A Thing in PHP once.”

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Working with people smarter than you is awesome

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Agrikk posted:

This happens to me a lot. Problem with S3? Here. Here’s one of the guys that wrote S3. EC2? Here’s the Distinguished Engineer of EC2 networking.

Cool guys, but holy poo poo are they wicked smart. “Me? Uh. I wrote A Thing in PHP once.”

Yeah. That dinner had chip designer on one side, and the guy who wrote the most ubiquitous monitoring software we have on the other. I loved every minute of it, but man my brain was smoldering when I got done.

Thanks Ants posted:

Working with people smarter than you is awesome

1000%

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

blackswordca posted:

Going from "damnit my phone won't stop ringing" to "what the hell, my phone's ringing?" Is magical.
When I moved on from Xbox support I spent the first few hours of every day in a state of what I later realised was utter terror. Eventually I realised that nobody was calling me ever again, and I wasn't going to get into poo poo for not being on ready.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

When I moved on from Xbox support I spent the first few hours of every day in a state of what I later realised was utter terror. Eventually I realised that nobody was calling me ever again, and I wasn't going to get into poo poo for not being on ready.

oh poo poo another xbox support peon.. outsourced to a company with the initials hh?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No, it was Stream Global Services at the time, since bought out by Convergys. Arvato had the other half of the contract, and I *think* there might have been another smaller op that we never dealt with but it's happily been a long time. EMEA support. Happily they managed to be so terrible that they voided my NDA when breaching contract, so I can say whatever the gently caress I like about my time there. If they have a problem with it then they can see me in court. Again.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arquinsiel posted:

No, it was Stream Global Services at the time, since bought out by Convergys. Arvato had the other half of the contract, and I *think* there might have been another smaller op that we never dealt with but it's happily been a long time. EMEA support. Happily they managed to be so terrible that they voided my NDA when breaching contract, so I can say whatever the gently caress I like about my time there. If they have a problem with it then they can see me in court. Again.

It must be nice living in a place where employment law means something other than "Bend over worker, we're going in dry".

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Schadenboner posted:

It must be nice living in a place where employment law means something other than "Bend over worker, we're going in dry".

I feel like this av/post combo needs some love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Amusingly, I worked for that company too. It was retrospectively quite nice, despite the rep.