Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

jtr posted:

Cargo In The Blood, which was an art book:

http://www.nin.wiki/Hesitation_Marks#Cargo_In_The_Blood

I don't know if this was ever marketed as a special edition anything. It's just an art book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Yeah I can't take a day off of work to drive two and a half hours each way to DC to *maybe* get a ticket for a concert for $100. That's like another $50 in gas and parking minimum.

Last time NIN came to VA there was two dates at two venues and hitting both shows ran me like $150 total.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
All this talk of new stuff just made me go back and re-examine the first two EPs. I had forgotten how good The Idea of You is, and I hope the new songs are as baller as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32E6B8P3J8M

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me I relistened to Hesitation Marks for the first time in awhile and I still think it's a pretty strong album that is only hurt by the fact that the last two tracks are so good that it makes the rest of the album look weaker. Like, "While I'm Still Here/Black Cloud" are amongst the best songs he's ever written.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

glam rock hamhock posted:

That reminds me I relistened to Hesitation Marks for the first time in awhile and I still think it's a pretty strong album that is only hurt by the fact that the last two tracks are so good that it makes the rest of the album look weaker. Like, "While I'm Still Here/Black Cloud" are amongst the best songs he's ever written.
The performance of that song live gave me more goosebumps than most other live performances I've seen from anyone else period (outside of like a Sigur Ros show).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isb_Oy8IM14

I wasn't at the show this was filmed at, but I saw it at another show on that tour and it was (hau hau) haunting as gently caress.

But yeah, that album does indeed rule and the majority of the tracks sound insanely good live too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjURnn8DAyY

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 15, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
In Two is great. I think the album suffers from the production sounding a little too "laptoppy". I'm sure Trent could go full electronic and make it sound great, but I don't think most of those particular songs were served well by that approach. I really like the balance he struck on the EPs.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Sir Lemming posted:

In Two is great. I think the album suffers from the production sounding a little too "laptoppy". I'm sure Trent could go full electronic and make it sound great, but I don't think most of those particular songs were served well by that approach. I really like the balance he struck on the EPs.
Agreed on all this. In Two is my favorite track on HM.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the upcoming ep is only 14 bucks canadian for the vinyl so if it really is full length thats a steal. its a 12 inch so thats encouraging.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Walrus posted:

the upcoming ep is only 14 bucks canadian for the vinyl so if it really is full length thats a steal. its a 12 inch so thats encouraging.

Well, they've all been 12 inches so far. But they are making a very distinct point of saying this is not an EP, it's an album.

(NTAE's side B was side D of The Downward Spiral played backwards. AV needed the extra space to accommodate the ending of "The Background World".)

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

Well, they've all been 12 inches so far. But they are making a very distinct point of saying this is not an EP, it's an album.

(NTAE's side B was side D of The Downward Spiral played backwards. AV needed the extra space to accommodate the ending of "The Background World".)

FWIW, Not The Actual Events is also listed as an LP on the NIN website.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Stryder posted:

FWIW, Not The Actual Events is also listed as an LP on the NIN website.

Yeah, we went through that whole pedantry half a year ago. "LP" is technically correct to describe any 12-inch vinyl record. It's a format. Even though it most definitely has a colloquial meaning of "full-length album" too.

Of course, it most certainly does not help the confusion that AV is listed on NIN.com as a '12" EP' in contrast to NTAE's 'LP'. Not sure what that's all about, especially since AV is actually longer. ...sort of. NTAE ends up being longer on each side because of side B being the backwards TDS side D...

Regardless, assuming Pitchfork (and others) didn't screw up the wording, a representative of NIN very specifically corrected initial reports by saying that it's "not an EP, but an album".

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Looks like we're getting a new song tomorrow, already working in Aus. There are downloads floating around but none of them work for me. Seems like the song is only 4:15 long. I'm curious to know the length of the other songs but I would hazard a guess that this will be a short album/long EP, like 30 minutes or so of material.

e: youtube link for the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzQrdX-E2iY

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.
If you want to hear Trent sound like Bowie, this song is for you.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Holy crap, that really makes good on the idea of NIN doing something different. It sounds like the Trent Reznor remix of a song from Bowie's Blackstar. I mean it really does, no exaggeration.

(Before anyone asks, no, the YouTube link does not work for me, and that's all I'll say about that)

Speaking of Blackstar, I suppose that could be roughly the album length we're looking at here. That was 7 tracks, but most of them straddled 5 minutes with one being 10 minutes, so it ended up around 40+ minutes, the typical length of an album back in the heyday of vinyl.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 16, 2018

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
:eyepop: gently caress, that is wild.

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting
Here's another link just in case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GL-RPmWJrY

Everyone who compared it to Blackstar is spot on, wow.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
holy poo poo I am all about this

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I haven't listened yet, but I love Blackstar. I didn't like his remix of I Can't Give Everything Away at all though.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

PhantomPayne posted:

Here's another link just in case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GL-RPmWJrY

Everyone who compared it to Blackstar is spot on, wow.

Right? It's as if Trent was like "What if The Perfect Drug, but less drums and more David Bowie?"

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I love Bowie and NIN but I didn't think I wanted a NIN song that sounds like Bowie. As it turns out, I really like this. I sort of hope it's a bit of an outlier on the rest of the album though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Leon Einstein posted:

I haven't listened yet, but I love Blackstar. I didn't like his remix of I Can't Give Everything Away at all though.

It's more like what you would expect a Trent Reznor remix of a Blackstar song to sound like

It reminds me most of "Sue":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkQ-cZkknHg

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

well now i really want to know what poo poo mirror sounds like

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
what a weird choice for a single though

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
NIN hasn't had a hit single since THTF. Less Than was catchy, but didn't really get an traction.

I worked a second job at a place with lots of younger people, and we had a meeting once, and people talked about what they did over the weekend. I said I went to Minneapolis and saw NIN, and a guy said "Oh yeah, that's that 90s band, right?"

I felt old.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wow, this is super Bowie :stare:

What the gently caress

I LOVE IT

Here's the latest working YouTube link btw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WDAN7WYgRk

And yeah, this totally sounds like it should be in a Lynch movie

Sai-kun posted:

:eyepop: gently caress, that is wild.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
It does sound a lot like Bowie, but it's not really that interesting to me. The crooning is something new, but the way the drums and the bass/synth pretty much stay the same the entire song kind of bores me. Nothing surprised me except the way he sang it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
They're something almost embarrassing about how much it is just straight up aping Bowie but it's still cool as hell.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

They're something almost embarrassing about how much it is just straight up aping Bowie but it's still cool as hell.
Yeah, his vocal delivery is a blatant ripoff of Sue, although I think Sue is way more interesting musically.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Embarrassing vocals are a hallmark of Nine Inch Nails.

I like it. A good tribute to Bowie without being a cover, and really shows the mutual influence they had on each other.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Funny, it JUST started looking like my schedule might magically rearrange itself in a way that I can try to get Boston tickets, but the single did not get me particularly hyped to pay up to $250 to see NIN. I really like the other two LPs, but this song didn't totally land for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm interested to see how they'll do all the jazzy parts to this live (if they even play this song live), but yeah, I still don't have like $150 lying around to spend to see one band (ticket + Ubers to and from the theater), nor do I want to stand in line for a ticket.

If they end up on StubHub for cheap closer to the show, I'll definitely try to grab one though.

Or maybe I'll get lucky and one of these shows will get webcast (like when they play River City Rockfest).

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 16, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lyrics to God Break Down The Door courtesy of r/nin:

quote:

God break down the door
God break down the door
You won't find the answers here
Not the ones you came looking for

God break the door
Everything all at once
There aren't any answers here
No, no, not anymore

God break down the door
God break down the door
You won't find the answers here
Not the ones you came looking for

God break the door
Everything all at once
There aren't any answers here
No, no, no, no,

Remove the pain and push it back in
Remove the pain and push it back in [Pull it out, push it back]

NO NOT ANYMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJztazY65Mw

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I listened to this on a pair of good headphones, and it is actually amazing. NIN songs often don't reveal themselves very quickly, and I should've given Trent the benefit of the doubt. NTAE took like a year to for me to appreciate fully.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can't stop loving listening to this song. It's like if Trent slipped into an alternate dimension and had a threesome with I'm Deranged Bowie and Blackstar era Bowie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jdtMIpF56s

It's a direction I never saw him going in but I am so incredibly down with (in?) it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/Beats1/status/997134015109906432

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/997136234194452481

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 17, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thursday at lunch time seems to be Trent Reznor's Friday.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Trent is also 53 today. Happy Birthday, ya old fist gently caress.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
New song is embarrassing. It came on and I was thinking "ok, blatant aping of Blackstar." Then the vocals kicked in. He sounds like a dumbass.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

if you follow nin on spotify you just got an email to buy a white version of the new lp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

love how the words "david" and "bowie" were not mentioned in any instance at all