Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Crossposting this from the GWS general questions thread as thinking I might have more luck with a reply here:

Leng posted:

We're celebrating my kid's first birthday this weekend! But I am having a lot of trouble finding a sugar free cake recipe that she'll eat.

These are the two I've tried so far:
https://mykidslickthebowl.com/baby-led-weaning-muffins-apple-banana-carrot/
https://www.raisingsugarfreekids.com/sugar-sweetener-free-birthday-cake/

She will not eat either of them :sigh: I have a sneaking suspicion it's the banana she doesn't like, since she happily munches on apples and carrots all the time (she does eat banana but is weirdly inconsistent with it and we haven't figured out the pattern).

Anything sweet potato gets devoured so I was thinking of a sweet potato, pear and carrot cake? I can't find any recipes out there that are actually sugar free though, all of them have some form of sugar alternative.

I was thinking just to follow the ABC muffin recipe, substituting mashed sweet potato for the banana and pear for the apple. Will this mess up proportions in some way that I don't know?

Other suggestions for sugar free cakes also welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I never understand the sugar free cakes thing. They never get eaten at the parties I attend. If the kid is turning 1 they aren't going to chow down and go cake crazy. It's even more confusing when you see a sugar free cake served alongside juice boxes.

Of course it's different if the kid is type 1 diabetic

Edit : I would take a different route and have regular sugar but make a parsnip cake. It bakes well and tastes great.

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 16, 2018

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

We did low-sugar cookies instead of a cake at our daughter's first birthday because I also was having trouble finding a good sugar-free cake recipe. They turned out pretty well and everyone loved them (even the adults).

At my nephew's first birthday, they did a real cake, and he ate almost half of the one they put in front of him before his parents decided to stop taking videos and keep him from eating it all. So some kids do go crazy. He's a very fat kid, though, and I imagine they don't do a good job with his diet.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
Yeah, if we're doing a healthy dessert type thing, something like just fresh berries and whipped cream is usually a lot more successful than Fake Cake.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had a horrible parenting thought this morning. At some point, I'm going to have to explain to my sons that taking pictures of your private parts and sending them to people is a bad idea and shouldn't be done under any circumstance, NO MATTER HOW COOL YOUR FRIENDS MAKE IT LOOK

And then, if I'm lucky, I'll also need to help my daughter deal with it when she starts getting those pictures.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Frosted sugar cookies for guests, the twins each got a huge cupcake that they demolished. :3:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Careful Drums posted:

I had a horrible parenting thought this morning. At some point, I'm going to have to explain to my sons that taking pictures of your private parts and sending them to people is a bad idea and shouldn't be done under any circumstance, NO MATTER HOW COOL YOUR FRIENDS MAKE IT LOOK

And then, if I'm lucky, I'll also need to help my daughter deal with it when she starts getting those pictures.

I’ve grown up with a respect (read: fear) of the internet. I hope I pass that respect onto my children.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The kids in my family that are on strict sugar free type diets end up most devouring anything remotely sweet.

We went to a party and my cousin's kids were horking down all the cookies and candy they could get their hands on. They also politely begged the host if they could take leftover cookies for the ride home. Host left it up to the mom, not wanting to be the bad guy in the situation.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Is there anything I can do to encourage my baby to actually enjoy swings, bouncers, vibrating chair things, etc.?

Before be was born we ended up getting a lot of these devices - mostly hand-me-downs but also from yard sales. I work from home so I had these grand aspirations of plopping the little dude down in one to free up my hands.

He's nearly 7 weeks now and he's hated all of them from the day he was born. He lasts maybe 2 minutes before absolutely losing it. I've tried putting him in front of windows or high activity areas, I've tried hanging out with him while he's in it, etc. Nothing works

Also, the whole back and forth on formula illustrates my biggest adjustment to parenthood: nothing is cause-and-effect anymore. It's all about risk and how its increased or decreased. That's so much harder to understand and internalize, and its what leads to so many versions of "well I used baby powder, tap water, and gave a binkie from day 1 and my child turned out perfect" anecdotes

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

You could babywear to free up your hands?
Unfortunately I don’t think you can train a baby to like those devices, but things change rapidly so what is loved or hated one week could be the opposite next week

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Careful Drums posted:

I'm not sure why you think just the guys send those pics? You'll need to explain that to your daughter too (and yes I fear having the same conversation).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I'm not sure why you think just the guys send those pics? You'll need to explain that to your daughter too (and yes I fear having the same conversation).

In the daughters case, you're going to have to explain that she shouldn't send them no matter how much that boy she has a crush on wants them.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our first kid would NOT tolerate a swing or anything that wasn't me or my husband holding him and bouncing on an exercise ball. Sometimes he would tolerate being worn, but usually he wanted to see what was going on so he had to be carried. He also didn't tolerate playpens very well. On the plus side he was able to hold his head up super early.

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!

WarpDogs posted:

Is there anything I can do to encourage my baby to actually enjoy swings, bouncers, vibrating chair things, etc.?

Before be was born we ended up getting a lot of these devices - mostly hand-me-downs but also from yard sales. I work from home so I had these grand aspirations of plopping the little dude down in one to free up my hands.

He's nearly 7 weeks now and he's hated all of them from the day he was born. He lasts maybe 2 minutes before absolutely losing it. I've tried putting him in front of windows or high activity areas, I've tried hanging out with him while he's in it, etc. Nothing works

If there's a way to do it, I don't know it. My wife and I both loved swings as babies so we made sure to request one when we were expecting our first. A family member bought a really nice (but expensive) one and then he just hated it with all his heart and soul. Fortunately, our second loved it and she would spend hours just napping in the thing or hanging out and watching us work or whatever, so we finally felt comfortable telling the story to the gift-giver.

I'll second the baby-wearing idea as a way to get hands free while giving them a chance to nap. Both of our kids love it and still ask to be worn sometimes, although that's usually my job now since the oldest in particular is getting to be too big for mama.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

6-8 weeks is the peak fussiness age. Lasting 2 minutes in a chair is pretty long. I remember having enough time to put my daughter down and fill a water bottle. Babywearing was the only way to get work done (I was also working at home).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Is this thread glitched?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I had no idea that sugar is such a controversial topic. Welcome to parenthood I guess, every decision you make is going to be judged by strangers, usually not in your favor.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

We did low-sugar cookies instead of a cake at our daughter's first birthday because I also was having trouble finding a good sugar-free cake recipe. They turned out pretty well and everyone loved them (even the adults).
Thanks for the suggestion of doing low sugar. I might try a low sugar cake if I really struggle as well.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

At my nephew's first birthday, they did a real cake, and he ate almost half of the one they put in front of him before his parents decided to stop taking videos and keep him from eating it all. So some kids do go crazy. He's a very fat kid, though, and I imagine they don't do a good job with his diet.
This is my fear. Babies/kids can actually eat a lot. Mine apparently has the stomach capacity to consume the equivalent to half a large sweet potato in oven baked fries form after she's had a baby sized bowl of rice, chicken wings and soup because she really, really, really likes sweet potato fries.

Edit for baby-wearing talk: the whole concept of "working from home" that I had in my head worked very early on, while she was still 6-10 weeks old. Ever since then, it's been going downhill and I have actually changed my work schedule so that I no longer need to try to work from home cos I just don't need that stress anymore since inevitably it doesn't happen. Baby-wearing is a life saver. Sometimes they just want to be permanently attached to you.

Leng fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 17, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The best carrier/swing/etc is really just a very helpful parent or sibling that lives nearby. I notice a father stark contrast between my friend's families (mostly white) and my wife's family (Latino). The friend's family all had moms that carried their kid around in slings/carriers, while with my wife's family other relatives would alternate holding their sister/cousin/friend's baby, and were a lot less anxious about handing their kid off to someone so they could actually sit down to eat or socialize at parties.

Not everyone has the privilege of having competent relatives nearby I understand, but for those that do they are worth their weight in gold.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For what it's worth, my parents heavily restricted and avoided sugar and it caused problems by putting it on a pedestal. My wife's parents did nothing in particular in regards to sugar and she never had any problems. We're following the path of slight restriction and really trying not to make a big deal of it.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah if you super restrict anything the kid is just going to binge like crazy on it whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I figure everything in moderation of course, but one of the fun parts of birthdays is to spoil kids, especially on their 1st birthday when they might be eating those kinds of goodies for the first time.

You also have to be realistic with expectations. Most reasonable parents don't want their kids guzzling coca cola every day, but at parties when it is around it just becomes impractical to constantly forbid them from having it ever. My sister in law initially had a zero tolerance policy about soda but unfortunately for her they went to a lot of parties, and there were always tons of soda /people drinking soda and her kids were constantly begging her for some (or begging grandma, who was more willing to indulge them). They also wouldn't hesitate to just help themselves to some since by making it so forbidden my SiL convinced them that it must be the nectar of the gods or something. She eventually relented and allowed each of them to have a small glass. Since they could only have one glass they really had to think about when they wanted to have it.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Alterian posted:

Is this thread glitched?

I got a bit of weirdness on it yesterday, especially on Awful reader on iOS.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I dunno, I gave both my kids full sugar cupcakes for their first birthdays (though my son had a vegan one due to dairy allergy). He didn't eat the whole thing, but clearly enjoyed it. Otherwise we don't generally have a lot of sugar around.

My four year old honestly isn't that into sugar. It hurts her stomach and she vomits if she gets to much :colbert: She had a cupcake for the birthday too and she had three licks of frosting and two bites of cake then left it alone. I try to tread the line between just not having it around, and not making a big deal of it when it is around. Seems to work okay with my n=1.5 sample size.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm upset there aren't more Pettson and Findus movies (based on a childrens book series in sweden). The kids really liked them and we've gone through them all multiple times now.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

baquerd posted:

For what it's worth, my parents heavily restricted and avoided sugar and it caused problems by putting it on a pedestal. My wife's parents did nothing in particular in regards to sugar and she never had any problems. We're following the path of slight restriction and really trying not to make a big deal of it.

Different experiences? I grew up with a strict no junk food policy and didn't go nuts bingeing on forbidden stuff.

Panfilo posted:

I figure everything in moderation of course, but one of the fun parts of birthdays is to spoil kids, especially on their 1st birthday when they might be eating those kinds of goodies for the first time.

Maybe it's a cultural thing on what constitutes a treat/spoiling? I'm Hong Kong Chinese. Our idea of celebratory food is 10+ course banquets with whole roasted animals and loads of fresh seafood. My kid's favorite foods are Chinese style steamed fish, lobster with scallions and ginger and dumplings (and baked sweet potato fries :v:). Spoiling her foodwise would be like, doing three courses of abalone done different ways, but that's not very practical for a picnic BBQ!

I did grow up in Australia though, so I do get the birthday cake thing (I had birthday cakes growing up) which is why I'm making her one.

Panfilo posted:

You also have to be realistic with expectations. Most reasonable parents don't want their kids guzzling coca cola every day, but at parties when it is around it just becomes impractical to constantly forbid them from having it ever.

cailleask posted:

I try to tread the line between just not having it around, and not making a big deal of it when it is around. Seems to work okay with my n=1.5 sample size.
Re-reading my post, I can see it came across as a "no sugar ever" policy - but definitely not what I intended. We just wanted to phase in added sugars slowly, instead of going from nothing to "regular" (which is way too much anyway according to the WHO). She's got years ahead of her to binge on chocolate, ice cream and Nutella cronut thickshakes.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
We avoided sugary stuff for maybe the first year or so of our kids life and we still don't give things like apple sauce, flavored yogurt, etc, as a food on a regular basis, but we give fruit and stuff like jam on toast, etc. Basically just started incorporating some sugary stuff into the regular diet without making it into a big treat or it being a big deal.

Our kid likes sweet stuff when he gets it but doesn't demand sweets either. People gonna do what works for them though.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BonoMan posted:

Funny enough I didn't even think of that, that'll be hard to get through to her too, that under no circumstance, is sending pictures of any parts a good idea!

Leng posted:

I'm Hong Kong Chinese. Our idea of celebratory food is 10+ course banquets with whole roasted animals and loads of fresh seafood. My kid's favorite foods are Chinese style steamed fish, lobster with scallions and ginger and dumplings

gently caress me that sounds good, now I'm mad I grew up on betty crocker cakes for birthdays. At least wife bakes from scratch for ours. Baby girl loved her 1st birthday cupcake :3

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I am moderately granola so we avoided added sugars but now that the little guy is a year we’re more lax. I just can’t imagine it’s good for their little tummies. My husband is firmly in the “no pop ever” camp but I’d prefer to teach moderation. Like I’m fine with half a can of Coke on a Saturday night wth pizza but really, there’s so much loving sugar in it.

Public Serpent posted:

When our daughter was a baby I would often try to picture what life would have been like for a caveperson trying to keep themselves and their infant alive, and I just couldn't. Sometimes it felt like she wasn't just trying to kill herself, she was also trying to kill ME. Not even in a PPD way, but like what is the evolutionary advantage of actively trying to keep me from eating or sleeping??

Survival of the fittest, right? I wonder how cavepeople dealt with babies who couldn’t nurse properly or thrive. Did they try? Or did they just leave them?
Anyway, I think modern parenting, with a focus on North American parenting, has become obsessed with infant independence and it just goes against or evolutionary instincts. We evolved to have our babies next to us at night, we evolved to hold them close to us at all times. Now you have people saying not to pick the baby up when it’s crying because then it’ll be too dependant. Uh, yeah, because that’s how we survived this long; by responding to an infants cues.

As mentioned by someone else, human babies aren’t fully developed at birth. That’s why baby cows, horses and other mammals can walk shortly after birth, they gestate for longer and are more developed. Our heads are too big to be born fully developed, which is why the first three months is known as the fourth trimester

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 21, 2018

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
My 11 week old is awesome. The last few nights though have been interesting with sleep.

She cluster feeds from 5-10 pm, and at the end of the last feed she conks out for the night. I put her in the bassinet next to our bed, she sleeps for 3 hours, wakes for a feed.

It’s the next stretch of sleep that has changed recently. After her feed she conks out again, and I put her down. She sleeps for a while, maybe one full sleep cycle, then she’s unsettled. I put her dummy in, pat her head, rest my hand on her, all of which help but don’t settle her completely. I pick her up and she goes out like a light.

Her bassinet is a cosleeper bassinet so I spent probably two hours lying with my arm on her, patting her before I gave up last night. I’ve been cosleeping after giving up on the settling.

At this point I don’t mind, she’s young, and I can form better sleep habits down the line. The weather has gotten cooler recently so I also wonder if that is having an impact, though we have been sleeping with the heater on. I’m buying warmer bed clothes for her today so will see if that helps.

The second stretch of sleep has been awesome, 4-5 hours, so we’re both getting enough sleep.

Just wondering if anyone else had something similar happen to them. I’m thinking it’s a phase that she’ll grow out of.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Careful Drums posted:

gently caress me that sounds good, now I'm mad I grew up on betty crocker cakes for birthdays. At least wife bakes from scratch for ours. Baby girl loved her 1st birthday cupcake :3

Much kudos to your wife for managing that, because I did not. Leap 8 1st birthday was: cluster feeding at night like a newborn, resulting in us being 2 hours late to the party that we organised (thank goodness everyone else was also late/cool about it) and tremendously disorganized about everything (had to go back to the apartment about 4 times to retrieve things we'd forgotten to pack). I ended up making this chocolate cake on the recommendation from a baby-led weaning group on Facebook, but she was so hungry that she filled up on sweet potato fries and then had no interest in cake by the time we got to it. Babies. :v: At least we'll have a take 2 at the joint 1st birthday party with the parents' group.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Survival of the fittest, right? I wonder how cavepeople dealt with babies who couldn’t nurse properly or thrive. Did they try? Or did they just leave them?
Anyway, I think modern parenting, with a focus on North American parenting, has become obsessed with infant independence and it just goes against or evolutionary instincts. We evolved to have our babies next to us at night, we evolved to hold them close to us at all times. Now you have people saying not to pick the baby up when it’s crying because then it’ll be too dependant. Uh, yeah, because that’s how we survived this long; by responding to an infants cues.

I heard from somewhere (might have been an episode of Adam Ruins Everything) that apparently people didn't used to bother naming their kids until they turned one because of the high rate of infant mortality, which while I have not actually verified, it does make a morbid kind of sense. Also I personally find I am unable to not immediately run to my kid when she's crying and genuinely distressed and not a tantrum (which I don't think they know how to do until they're older anyway?).

femcastra posted:

Her bassinet is a cosleeper bassinet so I spent probably two hours lying with my arm on her, patting her before I gave up last night. I’ve been cosleeping after giving up on the settling.

<snip>

Just wondering if anyone else had something similar happen to them. I’m thinking it’s a phase that she’ll grow out of.

Sleep is weird. We were doing great up until the 3/4 month sleep regression. We got through that, then hit the 6 month one, then the 8/9 month one, etc. At the 10 month mark it just got too much so we have been co-sleeping ever since. It still takes forever to put her down usually (anywhere from 30-60 mins, sometimes longer). It used to be that once she's down, she's down for good, however in the last two weeks, she's been waking up every cycle (seems to be from nightmares) and will only go back to sleep after a feed and/or a cuddle from me. The few times my husband tried, the whimpers escalated pretty quickly to crying to screaming to full throated meltdowns which then take another 2 hours to get her down to sleep again.

Yayness.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My five year old son is booked in for a tonsillectomy on the 9th June. The drat things are so big that he can't breathe properly at night, and he's tired and cranky all the time, let alone all the infections he keeps getting. So, obviously we're happy that it's being done, but still nervous because our little dude has to have surgery.

The surgeon has been really reassuring, and says that we'll go in the morning, and he'll be at home by the afternoon, but still, it's scary. Has anyone's kid had the procedure done? Apparently he'll have to stay home for two weeks and have no contact with people to avoid infection, but I'm wondering just how bad the pain will be for him and how quick the recovery time is. Anyone got any insight?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Please update on recovery. It's pretty nerve wracking when you are there but if it's a children's hospital they should be pretty awesome and reassuring the whole time. My daughter had tubes put in last week and it was quick and easy. I knew the ENT through professional encounters so I trusted him. I have my son going in for a check on adenoids and tonsils since apparently his not napping since 1 isn't normal and he is grumpy most of the day but will never nap no matter how tired he gets.

At least you are getting the help your child needs. A lot of adhd misdiagnosis stems from sleep issues

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

My five year old son is booked in for a tonsillectomy on the 9th June. The drat things are so big that he can't breathe properly at night, and he's tired and cranky all the time, let alone all the infections he keeps getting. So, obviously we're happy that it's being done, but still nervous because our little dude has to have surgery.

The surgeon has been really reassuring, and says that we'll go in the morning, and he'll be at home by the afternoon, but still, it's scary. Has anyone's kid had the procedure done? Apparently he'll have to stay home for two weeks and have no contact with people to avoid infection, but I'm wondering just how bad the pain will be for him and how quick the recovery time is. Anyone got any insight?

I had it done at 5 or 6 as a kid (early 90s). As I remember, my parents made a really big deal and were super scared and afraid I was going to suffer. But all I remember is going to the doc, going under, then going home and enjoying TV/Iced Tea/Ice cream for a few days. It felt like no big deal. After a few days of healing I could talk, breath, and sleep easier.

The docs say that its likely our three year old will have to have it done, and my wife frets about that. But because of my experience I'm not the least bit concerned.

e: Oh yeah, 3yr old had tubes done, it went buttery smooth and stopped his snoring issues. Only hard part was waking up from anesthesia. Some kids freak the gently caress out for a few minutes when they wake up but calm down once they get their bearings.

Careful Drums fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 22, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I am moderately granola so we avoided added sugars but now that the little guy is a year we’re more lax. I just can’t imagine it’s good for their little tummies. My husband is firmly in the “no pop ever” camp but I’d prefer to teach moderation. Like I’m fine with half a can of Coke on a Saturday night wth pizza but really, there’s so much loving sugar in it.

As mentioned by someone else, human babies aren’t fully developed at birth. That’s why baby cows, horses and other mammals can walk shortly after birth, they gestate for longer and are more developed. Our heads are too big to be born fully developed, which is why the first three months is known as the fourth trimester
Cave people probably didn't have the internet to bombard them with contradictory advice that just makes being an anxious, sleep deprived parent even worse. Humans seem to have a threshold for when too many choices just makes it hard for them to commit to one.

Another thing that's changed is that multi generational households are less common. I noticed parents that have babies in these households are a lot less stressed and sleep deprived, because there are more people around to help. My brother and his wife, for example, don't have any family nearby and as a result they didn't get any personal life for the first two years of their daughter's life. Emergencies would be super stressful since their whole nuclear family would have to go to the ER since there's nobody to watch the kids in a pinch, and not surprisingly they all got sick pretty frequently. My brother and his wife also would get a lot of anxiety with other people watching their kids (because they weren't used to it) which meant they really couldn't enjoy themselves at whatever activity they were going to. In contrast, a nephew on my wife's side grew up in a multi generational household, always had family available to look after kids, and had parents that didn't have nearly as much anxiety in general probably because it was easier for them to get a reasonable amount of sleep.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Cave people probably didn't have the internet to bombard them with contradictory advice that just makes being an anxious, sleep deprived parent even worse. Humans seem to have a threshold for when too many choices just makes it hard for them to commit to one.

Another thing that's changed is that multi generational households are less common. I noticed parents that have babies in these households are a lot less stressed and sleep deprived, because there are more people around to help. My brother and his wife, for example, don't have any family nearby and as a result they didn't get any personal life for the first two years of their daughter's life. Emergencies would be super stressful since their whole nuclear family would have to go to the ER since there's nobody to watch the kids in a pinch, and not surprisingly they all got sick pretty frequently. My brother and his wife also would get a lot of anxiety with other people watching their kids (because they weren't used to it) which meant they really couldn't enjoy themselves at whatever activity they were going to. In contrast, a nephew on my wife's side grew up in a multi generational household, always had family available to look after kids, and had parents that didn't have nearly as much anxiety in general probably because it was easier for them to get a reasonable amount of sleep.

As piece of anecdotal evidence to the contrary, my wife and I have not had more anxiety than when our parents are visiting us and we are doing just fine on our own.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How about when those parents are watching a your kid when they're still a baby?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Please update on recovery. It's pretty nerve wracking when you are there but if it's a children's hospital they should be pretty awesome and reassuring the whole time. My daughter had tubes put in last week and it was quick and easy. I knew the ENT through professional encounters so I trusted him. I have my son going in for a check on adenoids and tonsils since apparently his not napping since 1 isn't normal and he is grumpy most of the day but will never nap no matter how tired he gets.

At least you are getting the help your child needs. A lot of adhd misdiagnosis stems from sleep issues

Careful Drums posted:

I had it done at 5 or 6 as a kid (early 90s). As I remember, my parents made a really big deal and were super scared and afraid I was going to suffer. But all I remember is going to the doc, going under, then going home and enjoying TV/Iced Tea/Ice cream for a few days. It felt like no big deal. After a few days of healing I could talk, breath, and sleep easier.

The docs say that its likely our three year old will have to have it done, and my wife frets about that. But because of my experience I'm not the least bit concerned.

e: Oh yeah, 3yr old had tubes done, it went buttery smooth and stopped his snoring issues. Only hard part was waking up from anesthesia. Some kids freak the gently caress out for a few minutes when they wake up but calm down once they get their bearings.

Thanks for the responses. He's having tubes put in too at the same time - apparently he has glue ear on both sides, which when combined with his huge tonsils probably explains why he's always asking us to repeat ourselves. I just want it all over and done with and for my permanently pale, sickly kid to go back to the energetic and happy boy he used to be. I've been googling and found plenty of Mumsnet/Babycenter threads which are mostly reassuring. He doesn't seem worried about it at all, and keeps asking me how long until it gets done, so hopefully when the day comes it won't be too traumatic.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
The school year is ending!

...which means that we're suddenly getting an absolute flood of artwork and assignment our precious oldest child did in school all year. We've always had this to an extent, but this year stepped it up by a factor of ten.

How do y'all manage all the school stuff that comes home? Especially when it's a veritable flood?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Axiem posted:

The school year is ending!

...which means that we're suddenly getting an absolute flood of artwork and assignment our precious oldest child did in school all year. We've always had this to an extent, but this year stepped it up by a factor of ten.

How do y'all manage all the school stuff that comes home? Especially when it's a veritable flood?

My wife did this on one of our living room walls: https://burlingtonvt.citymomsblog.com/2016/03/28/art-display/

May not help with your current volume, but it works well for us. We just cycle out the old stuff every couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
If you want to keep it, something I’ve done is bought plastic page protectors and put the art into a binder. It only works for smaller pieces but it keeps them neat and organized.