Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A lot more positive reception than I was expecting.

Maybe movie is... good? :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
The actual review scores are mediocre to bad, but RT magic at work. That said, looks like what I expected will definitely check it out with my younger brother at matinee to make fun of darth maul.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

-Han goes after Beckett for revenge. Qi'ra stays behind, using a hologram message to speak with her actual gangster boss: Darth Maul

-Darth Maul is a crime lord now. Ray Park is the actor, but they use Sam Witwer's voice

-It sounds like Maul is only in hologram form and is in the movie for less than a minute.

I'd see it for Darth Maul, but not for this. My dearest hope is that Qira disappears so that they can set up a Darth Maul movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nurabsal posted:

The actual review scores are mediocre to bad, but RT magic at work.

Yeah but I was expecting the movie to get eviscerated.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

precision posted:

it's a star wars, that wasn't going to happen

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

precision posted:

Read the Slate review

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

pospysyl posted:

I'd see it for Darth Maul, but not for this. My dearest hope is that Qira disappears so that they can set up a Darth Maul movie.

But first, she'll have to meet Doctor Aphra, Hera Syndulla, Leia, and probably get involved with the Rebellion in some capacity before becoming Rey's mother and Kylo Ren's aunt

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Narratively, it’s so odd that a nothing character like Maul would have the know how inclination or wherewithal to be pulling the strings of anything. In TPM he’s less an actual character and more of a weapon of Palpatine. Nothing more than someone for the heroes to fight. And him somehow surviving getting cut in half and falling from a great height is asinine.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

sponges posted:

Narratively, it’s so odd that a nothing character like Maul would have the know how inclination or wherewithal to be pulling the strings of anything. In TPM he’s less an actual character and more of a weapon of Palpatine. Nothing more than someone for the heroes to fight. And him somehow surviving getting cut in half and falling from a great height is asinine.

Not that you're wrong, but he's been a major antagonist on both of the animated series. He's almost a completely different character in those.

I don't know, I just love that he's been given all of this lore and prominence just because he looks cool and has a cool lightsaber. He's my generation's Boba Fett.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 16, 2018

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Dr.Radical posted:

The old Plinkett reviews are great when they’re not doing the “Plinkett is a serial killer hahaha” jokes.

This thread is the pinnacle achievement of terrible opinions.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

sponges posted:

In TPM he’s less an actual character and more of a weapon of Palpatine.

Well there's your problem - you just need to watch too many episodes of a cartoon from 5 years ago, where all of his character development happened. You can't possibly hope to comprehend the complexity of the character until you've seen Darth Maul team up with his brother named Savage Oppress to become king of the Boba Fetts by chopping off Jon Favreau's head with a black bladed lightsaber.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
this was loving hilarious and you need to rethink your entire life if you don't agree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB9h1zYK0ic

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don’t know how Maul even fits here. If he’s behind whatever happens in Solo and he has miniscule screen time and only exists as a hologram doesn’t that indicate he’s still alive during the OT? Are they planning on sequels to Solo? Or is Maul going to be the one SW villain that doesn’t get his comeuppance?

Ugh. Obviously he’s a cool villain and a fan favorite but someone has to think these things through a little.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Robot Style posted:

Well there's your problem - you just need to watch too many episodes of a cartoon from 5 years ago, where all of his character development happened. You can't possibly hope to comprehend the complexity of the character until you've seen Darth Maul team up with his brother named Savage Oppress to become king of the Boba Fetts by chopping off Jon Favreau's head with a black bladed lightsaber.

It owns that they had the new Mary Sues beat up the old Mary Sues and become their king. They're so cool!

Edit:

sponges posted:

I don’t know how Maul even fits here. If he’s behind whatever happens in Solo and he has miniscule screen time and only exists as a hologram doesn’t that indicate he’s still alive during the OT? Are they planning on sequels to Solo? Or is Maul going to be the one SW villain that doesn’t get his comeuppance?

Ugh. Obviously he’s a cool villain and a fan favorite but someone has to think these things through a little.

He has canonically, unambiguously died, before the OT. Obi Wan kills him on Tatooine. It's actually an interesting, reserved scene, too.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 16, 2018

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

pospysyl posted:

It owns that they had the new Mary Sues beat up the old Mary Sues and become their king. They're so cool!

Edit:

He has canonically, unambiguously died, before the OT. Obi Wan kills him on Tatooine. It's actually an interesting, reserved scene, too.

If you’re talking about the comics or cartoon, no one cares. I doubt that’ll have any bearing on how he’s presented in Solo.

I fully intended to ignore this film but Im kinda interesterd on an ironic level now. Mauls inexplicable appearance might make this so dumb it’s worth checking out.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah if maul is a crime lord in this movie I'm kind of curious how he ends up where he does on rebels.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Even the fresh reviews say its mediocre lmao

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It's so cool that in, say, ten years or so, perhaps less, people will be begging for the new Star Wars EU to be washed away.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Even the fresh reviews say its mediocre lmao

lol Solo is loving terrible

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Milky Moor posted:

It's so cool that in, say, ten years or so, perhaps less, people will be begging for the new Star Wars EU to be washed away.

I don't think it'll happen because unlike the PT, the movies so far have had some great characters and they're at least well-acted. Just lol when you compare Kylo Ren or Rey to Anakin from the PT. He was supposed to be the backbone of the prequels. Half the time he opened his mouth you just want to say "just shut up" out loud.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So was Darth Maul surviving and coming back in Clone Wars really George Lucas's idea?

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Are they still making the Obiwan movie? Maybe they set up Maul to be the villain for it?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

So was Darth Maul surviving and coming back in Clone Wars really George Lucas's idea?

At the very least he approved it. Dave Filoni ran the show, but Lucas had final approval on anything canon related. Only occasionally did Lucas actually have his own ideas for episodes, and I think we know which ones those were. Who knows what he and Filoni would talk about behind the scenes, though.

Monglo posted:

Are they still making the Obiwan movie? Maybe they set up Maul to be the villain for it?

If so, this would be the first actual real test of the Story Group. If Maul and Obi-Wan face off in a stand alone movie, it would either be recreating exactly what happened in Rebels (no way this is what will happen), or the Story Group is finally, officially meaningless when it comes to what movies can do.

Which is what most people assume, but so far they haven't actually contradicted anything in the EU (partly because the EU has been trying to stay pretty drat far away from the movies to avoid conflict). This would be the first time they come into direct conflict.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 16, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

At the very least he approved it. Dave Filoni ran the show, but Lucas had final approval on anything canon related. Only occasionally did Lucas actually have his own ideas for episodes, and I think we know which ones those were. Who knows what he and Filoni would talk about behind the scenes, though.

I think the Zillo beast - and making that episode a big Godzilla homage - was Lucas's idea. What else did he come up with for the show that we know about?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the Zillo beast - and making that episode a big Godzilla homage - was Lucas's idea. What else did he come up with for the show that we know about?

The Mortis arc (the one that had the Father, Son, and Daughter as embodiments of different aspects of the Force) came from Lucas. As well as Yoda's story in the final episode, Sacrifice (where he meets the ghost of Darth Bane). Those are the two big ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

https://youtu.be/no4SxdIIDBE

here’s that Maul final Real death from the cartoon which i guess takes place right before ANH. i’ve never watched any of the cartoons beyond a few scenes and maintain bringing him back with loving robot legs and an evil big brother was the dumbest poo poo but this is a pretty cool low-key scene with some nice characterization for both maul and obi-wan. it’s pretty cool how obi-wan switches to qui gon’s stance to bait maul into going for that same move then finishes him in one blow

if the intention of bringing Maul back in the movies is to set him up for more Solo movies or for a Kenobi movie it kind of makes this weird though, because from what I can tell they pretty much mined Maul pretty thoroughly across that span of time and it doesn’t seem like he’s seen Kenobi since the Clone Wars so

idk, whatever. i’ll probably still mark out seeing ray park on screen in the makeup again

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
"After reading the spoilers and watch some reviews, I suspect this time the audience score will be greater than the pro reviewer scores. And that's a good thing. I think it lacks anything SJWs can latch onto, so the pros don't care. So the success of this one will be decided 100% by the fans. Sink or swim. I just don't see it pulling off the fan service of RO, but I bet most fans will be able to enjoy it." -Some Guy (TheForce.Net)

"Several critics who gave it a low score mentioned that if you strip all Star Wars elements form it, it is just an average movie. Well, guess what, you cannot strip Star Wars from a Star Wars movie. So these criticisms for me show a lack of understanding about what Star Wars is." -Another guy

Never change, star wars fans.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kill Star Wars

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

CelticPredator posted:

Kill Star Wars

Lucas should’ve just made the whole thing public domain

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

Kill Star Wars

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How long has theForce.net been terrible now? Must be getting close to 20 years.

I posted regularly on the starwars.com message board when I was 12-14 (i.e. between AOTC and ROTS) and it was the most right-wing forum I think I've ever been a part of. They had this one guy who I think was this a big pillar of the community who'd go on about how unfairly Slobodan Milosevic had been treated for "trying to prevent the Islamification of Europe" and they'd have tons of people agreeing with them.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

nurabsal posted:

"After reading the spoilers and watch some reviews, I suspect this time the audience score will be greater than the pro reviewer scores. And that's a good thing. I think it lacks anything SJWs can latch onto, so the pros don't care. So the success of this one will be decided 100% by the fans. Sink or swim. I just don't see it pulling off the fan service of RO, but I bet most fans will be able to enjoy it." -Some Guy (TheForce.Net)

"Several critics who gave it a low score mentioned that if you strip all Star Wars elements form it, it is just an average movie. Well, guess what, you cannot strip Star Wars from a Star Wars movie. So these criticisms for me show a lack of understanding about what Star Wars is." -Another guy

Never change, star wars fans.

So this is definitely a piece of trash movie then?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Was TFN ever not terrible? I read it around that time when I was a young brokebrained star wars lad as well, it was mostly a cool place to feel better by witnessing far more brokebrained star wars people.

I remember massive arguments there before RotS over how there was no way palpatine would be darth sidious for <insert insane reason>

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No Mods No Masters posted:

I remember massive arguments there before RotS over how there was no way palpatine would be darth sidious for <insert insane reason>

I remember when I was 14, I convinced myself that Lucas was going to pull a fast one somehow despite knowing better. :rolleyes:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I distinctly remember vehement arguments I had with my dad after seeing TPM that Senator Palpatine definitely wasn’t the Emperor.

In my defense, I was six.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

Haha if this is true that means that decades later, the leader of the quasi-continuation of the Empire is named after a clerical error

reviews are confirming the solo name thing now, yikes. Ben Solo For Such a Long Long Time

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No wonder he wants to change his name to Kylo Ben Ben Ren Ken Ben

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mandrel posted:

https://youtu.be/no4SxdIIDBE

here’s that Maul final Real death from the cartoon which i guess takes place right before ANH. i’ve never watched any of the cartoons beyond a few scenes and maintain bringing him back with loving robot legs and an evil big brother was the dumbest poo poo but this is a pretty cool low-key scene with some nice characterization for both maul and obi-wan. it’s pretty cool how obi-wan switches to qui gon’s stance to bait maul into going for that same move then finishes him in one blow

if the intention of bringing Maul back in the movies is to set him up for more Solo movies or for a Kenobi movie it kind of makes this weird though, because from what I can tell they pretty much mined Maul pretty thoroughly across that span of time and it doesn’t seem like he’s seen Kenobi since the Clone Wars so

idk, whatever. i’ll probably still mark out seeing ray park on screen in the makeup again

This is the first I’ve seen of cartoon Maul but I like him thinking the chosen one will avenge the Sith. He didn’t get much in TPM but he does come off as the only True Believer dark side guy we’ve seen.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is the first I’ve seen of cartoon Maul but I like him thinking the chosen one will avenge the Sith. He didn’t get much in TPM but he does come off as the only True Believer dark side guy we’ve seen.

It's really more that the chosen one will avenge him personally. In the Clone Wars show, Maul's activities eventually attract Palpatine's attention. Darth Sidious has no interest in welcoming his old apprentice back into the fold—he’s old news, and Sidious obviously has Anakin in mind. So there's a confrontation where Darth Sidious shows up, kills Maul's brother, and leaves Maul for dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

i think it’s the opposite from the clips I’ve seen. he feels like Sidious hosed him over and abandoned him and is all about his personal quest for vengeance on everybody who wronged him (Kenobi, sidious). I think he’s just taking solace that whoever Kenobi is protecting is eventually going to ensure Sidious gets what’s coming to him. not sure he cares a lot one way or the other about the whole supremacy of the dark/light business