Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

yeah basically this. there's a big difference between 80s goths and "Hot Topic goths" but the latter was a much bigger and more visible movement in America. i'm given to understand that it was different in the UK, where the original "goth" bands were a LOT more popular

like Hot Topic is the reason that so many kids had "the" Joy Division t-shirt.

e: yes, i am embarrassed that this kind of poo poo is what's taking up real estate in my brain instead of any useful information

ime the distinction was always there are goth kids, then there are the mall goth kids. the mall goths shopped at hot topic.

now nerds shop at hot topic.

e: and also me b/c it's the easiest place to pick up official drag queen merch from the ru girls ....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
isn't Hot Topic basically a glorified Sanrio store these days? i haven't even seen one in like, a decade. i knew a woman that was high level management for them and she used to just give me all the Smiths and Bauhaus shirts that nobody was buying lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's still like band shirts and idk leather and belts and zippers and stuff, but it's just a lot of anime merch and video game merch and wrestling merch and poo poo now for the most part. I've only ever been in like 2 hot topics in my life and only since they made the switch to nerd merch being what I can imagine is their biggest seller now, so idk how much of that poo poo they were already selling back in the mall goth days or what

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Eezee posted:

Every single trailer I've seen so far is terrible. Is peak TV officially over? :ohdear:

I just watched the Magnum PI trailer and got very cynical. How do you gently caress up an easy concept that bad?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Eezee posted:

Every single trailer I've seen so far is terrible. Is peak TV officially over? :ohdear:

this is how I feel about trailers for new network tv shows always so :iiam:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

I just watched the Magnum PI trailer and got very cynical. How do you gently caress up an easy concept that bad?

hahaha oh my god you aren't kidding, what the FFFFUUUUUUUUU----

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arist posted:

"Peak TV" is, at least in part, in reference to the boom of the television industry and as such refers to the amount of TV being made, so no.

What's more while the sheer volume of new shows means that you have better odds of getting more "prestige tv" and great shows it also means you're gonna see a lot more bad stuff. So just figure out what you like and who you trust, or wait for people to get real excited about a show and tip you off.

edit: I will not watch the bad Magnum PI reboot nostalgia show because I have a crush on Perdita Weeks. I will not watch the bad Magnum PI reboot nostalgia show because I have a crush on Perdita Weeks. I will not watch the bad Magnum PI reboot nostalgia show because I have a crush on Perdita Weeks.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 16, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

esperterra posted:

ime the distinction was always there are goth kids, then there are the mall goth kids. the mall goths shopped at hot topic.

now nerds shop at hot topic.

e: and also me b/c it's the easiest place to pick up official drag queen merch from the ru girls ....

Which were the ones who were way too into Jhonen Vasquez comics and cartoons?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which were the ones who were way too into Jhonen Vasquez comics and cartoons?

Invader Zim fans are something I like to call 'hopeless'

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys are supposed to link all the bad poo poo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMmv9JFOEB0

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

CBS is going to have a show on Sunday nights about an atheist who gets friended on Facebook by God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItBwgskZg70

lol

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmfao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OH MY LITERAL GOD

lma loving o

holy poo poo

lmao forever

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahahahahaha what in the gently caress

20+ shows just got cancelled so this could live?

Also since when are trailers 6 minutes long :psyduck:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sat through the whole long bad trailer and totally worth it for the hilarious trailer twist.

Also now feel like I definitely don't have to watch an episode to know I don't like the show. 6 minute pilots are revolutionary.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ahahahahaha what in the gently caress

20+ shows just got cancelled so this could live?

Also since when are trailers 6 minutes long :psyduck:

Upfront trailers are not you or I. They are for advertisers. That's why they almost always spoiler a whole pilot so the advertisers know what they're buying ads on.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Wait, there was no Clickhole logo at the end. I'm confused.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Popelmon posted:

Wait, there was no Clickhole logo at the end. I'm confused.
It's entirely real, that's the best part :roflolmao:

https://www.cbs.com/shows/god-friended-me/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So they're trying to appeal to the extremely old audience with the God stuff but they don't seem to realize the old set is also racist as hell

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Person of Interest sequel huh, interesting new strategy the Machine is trying, I like it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The magnum p.i. reboot is precisely the type of thing where people who like to hate reboots or hate any changes to the beloved original will hate it like clockwork. Anyone just wanting to be entertained by some light nonsense will watch it and enjoy it and it will be reasonably successful like CBS's other similar reboots. From the trailer it looks exactly how it could be expected to be, exactly what it should be and exactly like it was always going to be

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Mayor was a pretty bad sitcom but oh boy does that God Friended Me trailer make me wish Brandon Michael Hall was still doing The Mayor

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wandle Cax posted:

The magnum p.i. reboot is precisely the type of thing where people who like to hate reboots or hate any changes to the beloved original will hate it like clockwork. Anyone just wanting to be entertained by some light nonsense will watch it and enjoy it and it will be reasonably successful like CBS's other similar reboots. From the trailer it looks exactly how it could be expected to be, exactly what it should be and exactly like it was always going to be

Yeah, it does completely look like the usual CBS show like Hawaii Five O or whatever and like could work or not based on your thing. Its just not my thing but whatever.

The odd thing is if you're old enough to be nostalgic about Magnum PI and mad about changes shouldn't you also be old enough to be in the CBS procedural demographic?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's weird to me that Brandon Micheal Hall managed to find another sitcom starring gig mere months after losing his old one. The Mayor and God Friended Me will presumably air only like a year apart from each other.

Nothing against the guy, liked him in Search Party. Just ridiculous how fast he found more work.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/05/16/gotham-showrunner-batman-alfred-prequel-series-epix/

quote:

Gotham may be coming to an end, but the Batman prequel TV shows are far from over, apparently.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Gothamshowrunner Bruno Heller is set to produce a new series called Pennyworth, focusing on the backstory of Bruce Wayne's beloved butler. Epix has handed Pennyworth a 10-episode, straight to series order.

This will be the first DC Comics series on Epix, the network responsible for Get Shorty and Berlin Station.
While a show about a butler may sound boring on the surface, that won't be the case, as Pennyworth will focus on the character long before Bruce was ever born.

The series will take place in 1960s London, where Alfred serves as a former British SAS soldier who forms a secret company and joins forces with a rich and powerful American, Thomas Wayne.

I wish this had it trailer because it sounds amazingly stupid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At some point they have to realize they give side characters somewhat interesting backstories so they can keep up with the superheroes.

It doesn't mean that we want to have them fleshed out though. It's like having a full course of parsley at dinner.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

Stupid atheist, when will he learn?!

My ears are burning.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, it does completely look like the usual CBS show like Hawaii Five O or whatever and like could work or not based on your thing. Its just not my thing but whatever.

The odd thing is if you're old enough to be nostalgic about Magnum PI and mad about changes shouldn't you also be old enough to be in the CBS procedural demographic?

I guess but I think mad about changes is just a relatively small subset of nostalgic about the original

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They might as well do a reboot of Joan of Arcadia.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oh Joan of Arcadia

the ending always makes me lol when I think about it

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

God dammit, every single one of those trailers is now doing the thing I hate more than anything: the first 3-4 seconds in the video is a teaser for the rest of the trailer. I know what video I'm watching, it's on the screen you don't need to remind me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's an attempt to prevent people from skipping it after five seconds when it comes up as an ad.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like the Magnum reboot is keeping the Navy veteran angle with Thomas, Rick, and TC. That could be interesting if they treat it right. The original had a lot of credibility in the early seasons dealing with post Vietnam issues and how they affected the main characters.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
If nothing else Magnum is going to have a kick rear end pilot directed by Justin Lin, see also SWAT

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And Perdita Weeks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

And Perdita Weeks.

Her sister is named Honeysuckle.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Look, I love Gotham, but this Pennyworth prequel sounds insanely pointless.

Like, wtf. Why. What would it even be about?

If it's just its own show, I mean, cool. Sometimes you want to make James Bond meets Jeeves and Wooster and need to hook something else into it to even get made in the first place. But holy crap, if they try to bring R'as Al Ghul in or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno, if it's his BTAS incarnation where he's a fuckin super spy I'd be down.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Like, wtf. Why. What would it even be about?

In some incarnations, Alfred was a MI6 dude that could gently caress poo poo up if he really wanted to so a spy show set in a superhero universe could work.

Or they could just adapt Grayson which was better than it had any right to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The part I find weird about it is how it is the same people behind Gotham but it isn't a Gotham spin off.