Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

seiferguy posted:

Danny Hultzen had a torn antorior capsule and that completely ruined his career.

Michael Pineda tore his labrum and was never the same guy when he came back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Johan Santana's shoulder exploded and then he threw a no-hitter and then it exploded again.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

The Dodgers got off to a slowish start last year but they were still one game over .500 on May 1st, and on this date in 2017 they were 22-18.

They didn't lose their 25th game until June 6th.

EDIT: It's funny actually, the D-Backs and Rockies are playing similar (record-wise) to 2017, though.
Yeah the Dodgers swoon last year was late, not early. Between August 26th and September 11th, they went 1-16. From Aug 26th to the end of the season they went 13-22. They reached .500 on April 28th (12-12) and never dropped below it again that year.

Poque posted:

I mean kind of, and nobody wants to be 9 games below .500, but they're only -5 in run differential so it feels like there's more luck to turn around than just their injured boys coming back
There is certainly some positive regression to come but the hole they've dug is significant so the margin for error is non-existent now. And they aren't just losing a lot right now, they are dropping games to garbage-tier teams like the Reds and Marlins, so they'll have to make up ground against better teams later on.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 16, 2018

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Dodgers are going to be more then fine. Probably gonna rule the NL roost for the next 5. I'm taking my shots while I can!

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Checking random stats and I noticed that the HPB leaders are Bryant and Rizzo, 9 and 8 respectively.

No way that's a coincidence. I would lay money on them competing on a wager made in the smoky, pine-tar stained backrooms of the Cubs speakeasy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Rizzo makes sense because he stand on the plate, why Bryant has been getting plunked so much I'm not sure. Maybe guys just feel like they have no other option but throw inside on him cause they're afraid to leave anything over the plate.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Rizzo led last year, and he and Bryant were in the top 10 in in 2017 and 2016. These guys are looking for it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the popes toes posted:

Checking random stats and I noticed that the HPB leaders are Bryant and Rizzo, 9 and 8 respectively.

No way that's a coincidence. I would lay money on them competing on a wager made in the smoky, pine-tar stained backrooms of the Cubs speakeasy.

the Chicago crime machine strikes again

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you genuinely think guys are looking to regularly get hit by 90+ MPH fastballs then you're delusional. That's not really a sustainable career choice.

It's something you accept happens but Bryant clearly wasn't looking to get hit in the face by a fastball a month ago. He was out for 10 days despite being cleared of concussion and any serious injury.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

the Chicago crime machine strikes again

Stolen Signals would be an outstanding stat to follow

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: By UZR/150, Kyle Schwarber is the best defensive player in all MLB. Not LF, not the NL, all of MLB

V: I have no idea what the hell UZR/150 means or how it works, but loving :lol: defensive stats are bad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Rizzo makes sense because he stand on the plate, why Bryant has been getting plunked so much I'm not sure. Maybe guys just feel like they have no other option but throw inside on him cause they're afraid to leave anything over the plate.

I figured he was just getting pitched in, but that's not really the case:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Popete posted:

If you genuinely think guys are looking to regularly get hit by 90+ MPH fastballs then you're delusional. That's not really a sustainable career choice.

It's something you accept happens but Bryant clearly wasn't looking to get hit in the face by a fastball a month ago. He was out for 10 days despite being cleared of concussion and any serious injury.

No, you're right. But while I know no one wants to get hurt, it can't be a random stat, by definition, since they've both been in the top 10 for 3 years.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

I figured he was just getting pitched in, but that's not really the case:

From the eye test, Bryant's mostly learned to lay off of outside pitches, but he's still weak inside.

Is there a good source of batter performance based on the strike zone (like the 3x3 grid)?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

From the eye test, Bryant's mostly learned to lay off of outside pitches, but he's still weak inside.

Is there a good source of batter performance based on the strike zone (like the 3x3 grid)?

https://www.fangraphs.com/zonegrid....on=2018&data=pi

You can set the heatmap to show Swing%, Contact%, and Called Strike %.

And then there's the Brooks Baseball charts:

(This is whiff% on pitches in those spots, which shows he does whiff inside, but the actual pitch counts aren't telling.)

Either way, he's not getting pitched inside to an inordinate degree, really.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 16, 2018

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Poque posted:

Inspector_666 posted:

https://www.fangraphs.com/zonegrid....on=2018&data=pi

You can set the heatmap to show Swing%, Contact%, and Called Strike %.

And then there's the Brooks Baseball charts:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/h_pro...gFilt=&pFilt=FA|SI|FC|CU|SL|CS|KN|CH|FS|SB&startDate=01/01/2018&endDate=01/01/2019

What service can do those charts by exit velocity? Like this one Sarris posted for Altuve earlier today:

https://twitter.com/enosarris/status/996823566623490048

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

the popes toes posted:

No, you're right. But while I know no one wants to get hurt, it can't be a random stat, by definition, since they've both been in the top 10 for 3 years.

I still think it has to do with Bryant getting pitched inside, it might be that he's getting thrown more braking balls inside which if the pitcher is having trouble finishing can float up and plunk a guy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Dog posted:

What service can do those charts by exit velocity? Like this one Sarris posted for Altuve earlier today:

https://twitter.com/enosarris/status/996823566623490048

Quick rule of thumb is that anything with StatCast data comes from BaseballSavant:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/kris-bryant-592178?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb

(Click the exit velo number/link in the Statcast - Batting table.)

EDIT: lol here's 2017 Aaron Judge

EDIT2: Honestly I don't think this really shows what Eno wants it to, though. Aaron Hicks' chart looks very similar to Altuve's, for example. I would use the shiff rate plot instead, because the answer to "Where do you pitch Altuve?" seems to be "You hope he chases low."

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 16, 2018

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

N: By UZR/150, Kyle Schwarber is the best defensive player in all MLB. Not LF, not the NL, all of MLB

V: I have no idea what the hell UZR/150 means or how it works, but loving :lol: defensive stats are bad.

He's gotten a bunch of outfield assists already this season, so that might have something to do with it. I think teams are more likely to run on him because he's not a natural outfielder, but then they quickly find out he's got a pretty good arm. It's just his routes that are atrocious at times.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

*I wake up from stasis*

Me: "Has Jose Bautista been DFA'd yet?"

You: "no"

Me: "Put me back in"

*stasis pod closes*

Noted over the hill baseballer Bautista is still about 200 OPS higher than our garbage morales.

DFA Morales.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Here's the historical leaderboard for HBP. It's interesting. hahah Chase Utley leads all time history at number 8 for HBP.

The leader at number 1 is some old timey guy named Hughie Jennings, nice trivia question.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/HBP_career.shtml

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
*2018 World Series Game 3*

*extremely overcadenced voice*

The starting second baseman for your Los Angeles Dodgers.....MAX!! MUHNC-YY!!!!!

*roar of MUUUNNNNNCCCCE washes over the crowd*

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Sydin posted:

I remember when I first started to follow advance stats around 2012 or 13 Brett Lawrie was one of the top 5 players in baseball because his defensive WAR was insanely high because his shifts into short right field gave some weird bizarro super stats.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

This is very bad news for my avatar bet with Popete.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

the popes toes posted:

Here's the historical leaderboard for HBP. It's interesting. hahah Chase Utley leads all time history at number 8 for HBP.

The leader at number 1 is some old timey guy named Hughie Jennings, nice trivia question.

Stuff like this is always interesting. Like Ron Hunt very clearly changed something he did starting in 1968. He got hit 50 times in 71, thats impressive. Thats a huge portion of his overall value as a hitter considering his OBP was higher than his SLG.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean to be fair bbref has him at 1 DRS and -0.1 dWAR which is... actually not that bad? Like he was absolutely god awful last year: -9 DRS / -1.4 dWAR. Obviously he's nowhere near the best defensive defensive anything anywhere, but the normal defensive stats I actually try to use so far place him as pretty much replacement level in the field, which if holds true for a full season would be a huge win.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He's gotten a bunch of outfield assists already this season, so that might have something to do with it. I think teams are more likely to run on him because he's not a natural outfielder, but then they quickly find out he's got a pretty good arm. It's just his routes that are atrocious at times.

What's interesting is that IIRC his arm grade as a catching prospect was... not good. He's been nailing guys at the plate like its going out of style though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

the popes toes posted:

No matter how many times I see it, it still amazes me that we have detailed stats for players dating back to the 1880s and 1890s. You’d think that kind of minutiae would have been lost to time.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No matter how many times I see it, it still amazes me that we have detailed stats for players dating back to the 1880s and 1890s. You’d think that kind of minutiae would have been lost to time.

From an IT perspective, how does that database stay both accurate and secure? Since it is accurate and secure (presumably), it would be an interesting model to study with regard to distributed database security. - for another forum I guess.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

patonthebach posted:

Noted over the hill baseballer Bautista is still about 200 OPS higher than our garbage morales.

DFA Morales.

Seriously. Mods please change my name to DFA MORALES. It would be so much better for this busted up team to be able to give a dude a semi-restful DH day instead of having this black hole sucking up that spot.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

:getin:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
What happened to Morales, a case of Old?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

the popes toes posted:

From an IT perspective, how does that database stay both accurate and secure? Since it is accurate and secure (presumably), it would be an interesting model to study with regard to distributed database security. - for another forum I guess.

the database is actually written in pencil on a legal pad and sits in a storage closet with the shop vac and a bunch of busted hard drives.

this is actually the most secure way to store data in 2018.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Chase Utley disagrees.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

What happened to Morales, a case of Old?

He was never that great a hitter, and he is hugely negative on the basepaths and cant play in the field. The signing made no sense two off seasons ago and it makes even less sense today. Our team would literally be better with just alternating rest days of our other players. One of the worst DH signings in our team history.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Popete posted:

Now I want to see some Mick Foley type work his way into the majors based solely on his .500+ OBP from taking HBPs all day.

Although I feel like that may have been the plot to an Adam Sandler movie.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

the popes toes posted:

Jennings went on the manage the Tigers through a good portion of Ty Cobb's career.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

Seriously. Mods please change my name to DFA MORALES. It would be so much better for this busted up team to be able to give a dude a semi-restful DH day instead of having this black hole sucking up that spot.

When Pearce/Tulo/Grichuk/Diaz all come back in the next 2-3 weeks, he's gotta be gone.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sydin posted:

UZR IS BULLSHIT

thats what's up

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Good Dog posted:

Stuff like this is always interesting. Like Ron Hunt very clearly changed something he did starting in 1968. He got hit 50 times in 71, thats impressive. Thats a huge portion of his overall value as a hitter considering his OBP was higher than his SLG.

Probably looked at Gibson the wrong way in ‘67.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Popete posted:

Craig “The Big HBP” Biggio

• Locked thread